• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Atlus, want a lot of $$$? make a Shin Megami Tensei "Monster Hunter Clone".

Yeah, why havent they made a new 100-person team and given them $30 million and three years dev time?

Or... why can't the Persona team just work 20 hour days and make two games and once?

That's not a lot to ask guys. Seriously. Lazy bums.

Man, I really need to start SMT IV....Fire emblem has been like crack, and before that, zelda was like crack, and before that, pokemon was ultra-crack.

If we're being real, Pokemon would make more sense, but they'd never do it because you have to "kill","skin", and "make weapons with body parts" of pet like animals, which would cause the mass media to totally damage the brand.

There's more than one way to handle loot distribution.... they did the "Corrupted pokemon as enemies" thing for Colloseum, so how about this...

"Giant" pokemon grown beyond their normal size because Team B.I.G. did some nefarious crap. KO them to catch them. Keep them in your party, or turn them in to some police agency for rewards.

Or, you could play the bad guys and only hunt the gigantic rare stuff, and you get specific rewards from the bosses based on what you catch.

Valnen

Cutting down on development time would help more, Persona 5 is long overdue.

How long has it actually been in development? I find it hard to believe it's been in development since just before Persona 4 was released. They need to already have Persona 6 on the drawing board. Speed that shit up.

I mean turn based. Didnt played smt4, but ive played a few smt games and the turn based battles and random encounters are too tiresome. The game deservers some kind of real time battle system

Noooo thank you.

A spinoff with real time combat, like Devil Summoner Raidou would be cool, but I would like Devil Summoner to go back to turn based :X

Majestad

Banned
I mean turn based. Didnt played smt4, but ive played a few smt games and the turn based battles and random encounters are too tiresome. The game deservers some kind of real time battle system

You should play IV. There aren't random encounters on that game.

Valnen

No no no. We have enough action games and not nearly enough turn based games coming out. I like Action RPG's but there are plenty of those.

Silky

Banned
Turn based as a playstyle should really be dead by now. It's archaic and does nothing but make the battle process too long for it's own good. it's boring and overused. there are better alternatives to the TB playstyle

GeekyDad

Er, didn't Devil Summoner scratch the ARPG for Megaten?

And monster hunter is kind of slow paced combat, is it not?

No and no. Monster Hunter isn't really an RPG to begin with, and the combat is anything but slow-paced. Now, a full hunt is spaced out quite a bit in terms of actual combat, preparation, tracking monsters and all that.

Valnen

Turn based as a playstyle should really be dead by now.

No it fucking shouldn't. There are people that love turn based combat, myself included. Also calling it overused is a joke, we don't have nearly enough turn based RPG's on modern consoles.

Stop hating on Raidou mang :p
I'm not hating XD

Anyone who has actually played the Raidou games will know this is a terrible idea. Atlus doesn't seem to have designers who are actually good at implementing to designing action mechanics. A poor action game that is designed just to cash in on a popular genre is never a good idea. They have limited resources as a company and should focus on what their fans actually like from them and what they're good at.
It was called Devil Summoner Raidou 2!
That's the one I played, combat was mediocre as fuck. I'm assuming you don't play many action rpgs? Combat was trash.

Takao

Banned
Anyone who has actually played the Raidou games will know this is a terrible idea. Atlus doesn't seem to have designers who are actually good at implementing to designing action mechanics. A poor action game that is designed just to cash in on a popular genre is never a good idea. They have limited resources as a company and should focus on what their fans actually like from them and what they're good at.

just hire shift ala asw for p4u/dingo for p4d
if they'll work for sce, they'll work for anybody

Turn based as a playstyle should really be dead by now. It's archaic and does nothing but make the battle process too long for it's own good. it's boring and overused. there are better alternatives to the TB playstyle

This doesn't apply to press turn(the combat in SMT3, SMT4 and DDS).

213372bu

Banned
The more people keep talking about workarounds for a Pokemon Monster Hunter, the more I'm getting hyped over the possibilities.

OT: I rather Atlus keep putting out more of what they have been doing. They do what they do perfectly, I rather they not try and go the mainstream route and completely abandon the core of the franchise... I mean imagine what people would do if Hyrule Warriors was a mainline Zelda developed under Nintendo? People would flip their shit! The SMT community would have probably stronger reaction than that however.

Toxi

Banned
So you just beat High Rank?
garchomp.gif

Welcome to G-Rank.
garchomp-mega.gif

No and no. Monster Hunter isn't really an RPG to begin with, and the combat is anything but slow-paced. Now, a full hunt is spaced out quite a bit in terms of actual combat, preparation, tracking monsters and all that.
It's slow in a sense that you can't really cancel your attacks or do fancy combos with many weapons, although I've seen some frightening dual swords videos.

I'd call it an RPG, but that's just because the way progression is done reminds me of an RPG.

Silky

Banned
No it fucking shouldn't. There are people that love turn based combat, myself included. Also calling it overused is a joke, we don't have nearly enough turn based RPG's on modern consoles.

plenty of them on handhelds. there are better ways of handling RPG action

BlackJace

Thank you for the monster hunter explanation, I've been meaning to try one of them out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No. We don't need more MH clones nor do we need Persona turning into one.

What we do need is more mainly SMT/Persona games being made in a timely fashion and released around the globe in a timely fashion. Now THAT would be nice.

Maybe Sega can fix that shit.

I've played Tales, KH, and Star Ocean before Raidou 2 and still thought it held up well.

Why is that. Raidou himself was a very lame character to play as from a gameplay perspective. The only good thing about the combat was the kind of stuff you find in normal turn based megaten games. The games would have been much better if they were turn based imo.

Soriku

Why is that. Raidou himself was a very lame character to play as from a gameplay perspective. The only good thing about the combat was the kind of stuff you find in normal turn based megaten games. The games would have been much better if they were turn based imo.

Raidou's moveset was limited, yet I still liked cooperating with the demons, and I thought the boss mechanics were cool. There were some tough fights and they're fun despite Raidou being somewhat basic. He moves quick though!

I felt the same with random battles.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They should consider putting something like this on PC.

It won't happen for a long time but eh, they will probably limit it to 1 hand held if they ever do it.

I don't have a problem with all kinds of turn based combat, but I've come to prefer it in the form of SRPG-style battles like in Fire Emblem(Devil Survivor was okay), over what we've seen in SMTIV and Nocturne.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No no no

People doing the MH x Pokemon thing are thinking wrong.

You FIGHT Monster Hunter monsters with your POKEMON! No weapons and shit, you just have to rely on your Pokemon to dodge and attack!

That's funny...I was just thinking about what if Atlus made a Shin Megami Tensei game in the vein of Demon's Souls. Yeah, I like that idea better.

But you are right about Nintendo/Atlus needing to get a miiverse community up for SMTIV. And one for Soul Hackers too while you're at it.

Amir0x

Banned
Yes, I would play this. But I need Monster Hunter games to move on from the basic Wii-PS2-3DS level of system tech already. I want a true next-gen Monster Hunter game, in terms of the tech it's on and the engine it's running... but failing that, I'll take a true next-gen Megami Tensei Hunter game <:D

Yes, I would play this. But I need Monster Hunter games to move on from the basic Wii-PS2-3DS level of system tech already. I want a true next-gen Monster Hunter game, in terms of the tech it's on and the engine it's running... but failing that, I'll take a true next-gen Megami Tensei Hunter game <:D

Monster Hunter Online

Top Bottom