• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History/economics students....wanna give me a hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Next week I'm supposed to be giving a brief presentation on "Inflation and Unemployment in the 1970's", for my class on Film in the Seventies.

There's obviously a lot written on the topic, and I've checked out several books on the subject. The problem is that they're all really long jargon-filled explanations (as in, I'd have to read the whole book), and beyond that I can't even be sure whether each author is giving me the general consensus of the economic community or whether they are way out in left field.

Can someone recommend a source (web based or otherwise), that would give me a cogent, brief rundown of the American economic situation in the 1970's? For the most part I'm just looking for the causes, some statistics, the reasons why we eventually came out of such a deep recession. Feel free to offer your own explanation, if you wanna show off what you've learned ;)

Go to your library and there should be several books about the the crisis of the 70s economy there. Also, use reputable journals, such as the Economist, Time, US News and World Report, and best of all, do internet searches. Good luck with your presentation.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Most websites aren't "scholarly articles" and will not be enough to be referenced to. Checking with your school's library may be the best solution for this. Also, check out http://www.jstor.org/ it is a website that my university and God knows how many other universities approve as a valid source.

border said:
Can someone recommend a source (web based or otherwise), that would give me a cogent, brief rundown of the American economic situation in the 1970's? For the most part I'm just looking for the causes, some statistics, the reasons why we eventually came out of such a deep recession. Feel free to offer your own explanation, if you wanna show off what you've learned ;)

I think that it took at least 10 years and Reaganomics to pull us out of that deep slide in the 70s. I was talking with a friend about the 70s and it was a surprise that we had even survived that period. We had social, political, and economic unrest during that period, but I think it was American resilience and resolve that helped see us through that period.

border

Like I've said, I've already hit the library and the books are real jargon oriented and too detailed for the sake of a short "overview"-type presentation. Not to say that they aren't good, but I'm kind of trying to get out of having to read two or three 200 page books over the weekend.

Google, as always, turns up about a million irrelevant links. It's pretty useless for any kind of serious research, IMO.

I was hoping that someone could just recommend a brief but concise text-book style summation.

border said:
Like I've said, I've already hit the library and the books are real jargon oriented and too detailed for the sake of a short "overview"-type presentation. Not to say that they aren't good, but I'm kind of trying to get out of having to read two or three 200 page books over the weekend.

Google, as always, turns up about a million irrelevant links. It's pretty useless for any kind of serious research, IMO.

I was hoping that someone could just recommend a brief but concise text-book style summation.

How are you conducting your search online? Try being more specific by searching under "1970 oil crisis". This should point you in the right direction, since the oil crisis is what really sparked the recessionary period of the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom