• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hoeg Law] ACTIVISION AT RISK? | A Close Reading of Microsoft's PR Promises (VL625)

3liteDragon

With Phil Spencer and Satya Nadella already out in force, Microsoft now moves to more formal PR mechanisms, introducing a long form promise to be the "good guys" as described by Microsoft President Brad Smith through the company's "issues" blog. But what does it mean to assure Call of Duty's continued presence on PlayStation? And does the company really expect credit for self-serving promises already made? It's always good when a multi-national, multi-trillion dollar company pledges to *follow the law*, but we question whether it really deserves a cookie...in Virtual Legality.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Same shit I said when they talked about fulfilling the time exclusives with Deathloop and Ghostwire. You don’t get a pat on the back for fulfilling a contract that was already in place. But in this situation, they are saying well past the end of the current contracts in place so it’s kinda different.

Last edited:
Phil and Nadyla better be on the phone with Sony now talking about bringing Starfield to PS5 if they dont what the FTC to bring that up as an example. I think the FTC will use MS as an empale, they won't make it easy for them.
That isn't Monopoly. That's like saying Phil and Nadyla should be on the phone with Jim Ryan to bring over God of War or Horizon to Xbox

Microsoft owns the games and studios, they can make them exclusives if they want. It's still nowhere near Monopoly.

FTC can't do shit, they didn't do shit when Disney acquired Fox.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Good video. He talks about how "foolhardy" it would be for Microsoft to try and "play games with language like this" after the deal is done.

Timestamped:

Phil and Nadyla better be on the phone with Sony now talking about bringing Starfield to PS5 if they dont what the FTC to bring that up as an example. I think the FTC will use MS as an empale, they won't make it easy for them.

There is absolutely no reason for Microsoft to change what they are doing with their other studios or properties. Not relevant at all.

DJ12

An interesting video, but he really needs to disable his mouse wheel so he's not talking about a piece of text, he's just shot off the screen.

That isn't Monopoly. That's like saying Phil and Nadyla should be on the phone with Jim Ryan to bring over God of War or Horizon to Xbox

Microsoft owns the games and studios, they can make them exclusives if they want. It's still nowhere near Monopoly.

That's not true. Disney had to divest a bunch of assets, most notably RSNs as a condition to the sale.

kingfey

Banned
Moneyhat exclusives for sure. Sony's work locking Xbox out of major third party content since PS4 launched definitely pushed Microsoft to be more aggressive. Sony kept punching Microsoft in the nose so Microsoft started buying all of the apartment buildings on the block to try to make Sony homeless.
These timed exclusive were hurting their business.
The power Sony has on these timed exclusive, doesn't come close to MS timed exclusive.

What do you mean by "FTC can't do shit" it's literally their job to over look mergers/acquisitions... they approved the Fox acquisition by Disney. They're blocking the ARM acquisitions. Not saying the FTC will not approve the Activision purchase... but to say they can't do shit is not true at all.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The power Sony has on these timed exclusive, doesn't come close to MS timed exclusive.
Sony has more power with third party timed exclusives. They have the higher install base with more revenue potential. Microsoft's money made no difference when it came to Xbox. To the point where they had to buy whole publishers to lock up content.

kingfey

Banned
MS is still doing it, what are you talking about, or are you trying to ignore that?

https://www.lifewire.com/list-of-exclusive-games-xbox-series-x-5079143 List from last year. And there are still a lot not on this list.

Blaming Sony for timed exclusives while MS, meanwhile just keep doing it and will keep doing it. So you really have nothing to start complaining about Sony then.
Any of those games are the level of ff7R, ff16?

Are you saying those small list are equal to those games?

Who are we kidding here.

Not to mention stalker 2 is the 1st game from that series to hit consoles.

tmlDan

You're acting like MS didn't have the ability to do the same, they got complacent and did nothing.

They slacked on marketing deals, they made bad choices, they didn't shell out cash.

there's a HUGE difference between paying for timed exclusivity versus buying a large publisher, stop making excuses for their complacencies.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Any of those games are the level of ff7R, ff16?

Are you saying those small list are equal to those games?

Who are we kidding here.

Not to mention stalker 2 is the 1st game from that series to hit consoles.

Nice try dude...now

Fuck Off Barbara Dunkelman GIF by Rooster Teeth

You guys are bad losers. You guys don't have the guts to admit that MS themselves made huge mistakes and couldn't do anything to make deals, or did you forget what happened during the 360 era? Yes during the Xbox One era they were sleeping and were in no way a competitor to Sony...they have themselves to blame don't they?

Timed exclusives are timed exclusives. You can't justify it for 1 side, but consider it bad for another. You're just showing what kind of dumb fanboy you are.

Last edited:
Are you serious?

kingfey

Banned
Nice try dude...now

Fuck Off Barbara Dunkelman GIF by Rooster Teeth

You guys are bad losers. You guys don't have the guts to admit that MS themselves made huge mistakes and couldn't do anything to make deals, or did you forget what happened during the 360 era? Yes during the Xbox One era they were sleeping and were in no way a competitor to Sony...they have themselves to blame don't they?
Answer the question, and dont dodge it? Are those games equal to FF7R, and FF16?

K.N.W.

Blaming Sony for timed exclusives while MS, meanwhile just keep doing it and will keep doing it.
The history of timed exclusives between Microsoft and Sony is long and goes back from GTA III and the first Splinter Cell, then continues with Bioshock, Fallout 3 DLCs, up to FF7 Remake, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.
I would had jokingly said that in the end it's all Nintendo's fault, with their Rayman 2 N64 timed exclusivity, but Google is telling me that even Atari back in the day had contracts for timed exclusives like Centipede, Defender, Jungle Hunt, Pac-Man, & Joust.

We really owe a lot to Atari: bad movie based games (from E.T. to Matrix), lots of cartridges burried in the desert (wasted resources for nothing, leading to poor employees layoffs), semi-iterative consoles coming out every couple of years with lots of shovelware, sexual misconducts among the company, timed exclusives.... Real pioneers, I must admit. Now I feel bad for roasting a piece of history.... but I hope companies realize that aggressive behaviour only works in the short term, if it does at all, meanwhile quality and substance is what drives gamers to your house in the long run, even if takes 30 years of games about a plumber.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I guess Sony read the Microsoft playbook. They seem to be implementing the same "good guy" strategy regarding Bungie 😆

kingfey

Banned
Imo FF games barely sold on Xbox compared to what they sell on PlayStation and absolutely not the same as acquiring cod , Skyrim, etc which do sell loads on PlayStation aswell probably more so than on Xbox .
Its not about the sales. Its about locking users out of those games. That is what timed exclusive does. That shouldnt happen to 3rd party games.

Skyrim sold more on xbox 360, than ps3.

Edit: Now tons of PS users would miss out bethesda games, due to this practice.

Last edited:
Its not about the sales. Its about locking users out of those games. That is what timed exclusive does. That shouldnt happen to 3rd party games.

Skyrim sold more on xbox 360, than ps3.

Edit: Now tons of PS users would miss out bethesda games, due to this practice.
Im saying Xbox players players hardly cared for final fantasy in the first place , I don't view it in the same league as taking Cod or Skyrim from PlayStation they are different and both are bigger sellers on Sony's platform .

While I support open app stores for PC and Phones I don't agree with open stores for consoles. I like consoles because of the closed ecosystem, security, lack of bloat, etc.

kingfey

Banned
No, they did not. Massive growth in gaming started the consolidation. Just like it brought Google and Amazon into the market. Timed exclusives were happening long before all these acquisitions.
Which was due to timed exclusive games, and content.

You dont grow your platform, without enticing offers. That is where timed exclusive games/content played huge role.

Then mobile market happened, and brought all these money to the table. Which attracted the big boys.

These series of events led to these buy out. But timed exclusive played a huge part.

Timed exclusive content= COD content maps in the early x360 and the ps4.

Topher

Gold Member
Which was due to timed exclusive games, and content.

You dont grow your platform, without enticing offers. That is where timed exclusive games/content played huge role.

Then mobile market happened, and brought all these money to the table. Which attracted the big boys.

These series of events led to these buy out. But timed exclusive played a huge part.

Timed exclusive content= COD content maps in the early x360 and the ps4.

64mg3o.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s like a lot of people can’t see past the nose on their face. There are lot of benefits for ms buying activision, than just making everything exclusive.

One is that this will no longer happen.

Call-of-Duty-Vanguard-PS4-PS5-Exclusive-Content-2-1024x576.jpg.webp

SSfox

Moneyhat exclusives for sure. Sony's work locking Xbox out of major third party content since PS4 launched definitely pushed Microsoft to be more aggressive. Sony kept punching Microsoft in the nose so Microsoft started buying all of the apartment buildings on the block to try to make Sony homeless.
Lmao Educate yourself https://www.shacknews.com/article/47472/microsoft-pays-50-million-for

Microsoft are the ones that started with shit, same goes for COD exclusive maps ect, it was MS that start it in Xbox 360 era, now they're just paying the consequences of theirs acts.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Last gen moneyhatting started with The Rise of the Tomb Raider, IIRC.

Lognor

Banned
It’s like a lot of people can’t see past the nose on their face. There are lot of benefits for ms buying activision, than just making everything exclusive.

One is that this will no longer happen.

Call-of-Duty-Vanguard-PS4-PS5-Exclusive-Content-2-1024x576.jpg.webp
IF Microsoft does continue to allow COD to release on PS5 you will see the opposite.

"Get exclusive benefits on Xbox"
DLC releasing 6-12 months before the PS5 version
Etc

Xbox will be THE place to play COD, even if the game still releases on PS5 (although I don't expect it to)

Top Bottom