• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hoeg Law] ACTIVISION AT RISK? | A Close Reading of Microsoft's PR Promises (VL625)

Phil and Nadyla better be on the phone with Sony now talking about bringing Starfield to PS5 if they dont what the FTC to bring that up as an example. I think the FTC will use MS as an empale, they won't make it easy for them.
Lmao. In what world does the FTC has anything against Microsoft? They aren’t even close to be considered monopolistic. Activision acquisition doesn’t hinder competition because they weren’t competing with Microsoft, it promotes it. If you think you could make a case where fucking Sony would be so impacted by this that they are gonna get out of business you just be fucking crazy.

What Ms is doing is just PR, be good guys and when the time is right you just change narrative. It’s not like companies don’t do this on a daily basis.

Just check out Jym Ryan’s past statements contradicting himself every step of the way.

yurinka

Awesome video. That letter is MS's PR and legal team asking regulators to allow MS to have their own store on iOS, Android and MacOS (Windows already does it) devices where they would pay 0% instead of the 30% to the platform holders, because specially mobile device have the market shares.

It's funny that they don't include consoles there because it would affect Xbox, but since Xbox has such a small market share and what MS wants is to go multiplatform in all kind of devices and Xbox is only a small part of it they'd sacrify it, because in any case MS will make more money in the rest of devices than in Xbox since they're going multiplatform. And well, if this thing of allowing other stores or to skip the 30% would also be applied in consoles MS would gladly accept it because since they have a small market share it would hurt them a bit, but would hurt way more the ones with the big market share: Sony and Nintendo.

So basically MS is saying hey, regulators, or stores have a shitty market share, go against these other folks instead since they are the ones with a big market share, we'll make an effort implementing that too (well not in Windows since it already works in this way, so we want you to fuck the other ones instead of us).

Regarding the ABK acquisition yes, we're the 3rd company in gaming revenue and our console brand is the 3rd in userbase, and we only barely have slightly above 10% of the market share, so obviously there's no monopoly concerns with this acquisition. But yes, we'll keep CoD and the other big ABK games on PS and Nintendo because were aren't dumb and know that is where the AAA money is, but we would prefer to do it without paying them the 30%.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Lmao. In what world does the FTC has anything against Microsoft?

You mean other than using Microsoft as text-book reference for monopolistic practices, mentioning the company on their speeches?

You mean other than using Microsoft as text-book reference for monopolistic practices, mentioning the company on their speeches?

Clearly you didn’t read those. Microsoft is hardly mentioned.

I mean his best point here is that the market clearly isn't sold that this deal is going to go through.

Investing in Activision stock right now, should in theory give you a guaranteed 12 percent return in a year's time. So why isn't the stock price going up? Because the market isn't as confident that the deal will go through yet. Doesn't mean it won't go through, but we're going to see the price go up slowly over the course of the next 15 months, but if the deal was the fall through, Activision's stock price is going to seriously dip.

The stock is up 30% in the last month and so far that seems as much as the market is willing to bear.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I mean his best point here is that the market clearly isn't sold that this deal is going to go through.

From his last video series, and I quote: "It's more likely than not that this deal is going through, so if you take away one thing from this video--it's that."

I realize it's possible to have to competing thoughts, but I think this guy is just covering all the bases and trying not to whiff hard on his legal speculation.

If the deal gets killed, it's because someone wanted to make a political point...and they'd be straining to do so, even with the new "firebrands" in town.

Last edited:
From his last video series, and I quote: "It's more likely than not that this deal is going through, so if you take away one thing from this video--it's that."

I realize it's possibly to have to competing thoughts, but I think this guy is just covering all the bases and trying not to whiff hard on his legal speculation.

If the deal gets killed, it's because someone wanted to make a political point...and they'd be straining to do so, even with the new "firebrands" in town.
It would be nice if you read my whole post because I said that this deal is still likely to go through. His point isn't contradictory, he's just saying this isn't a simple rubber stamp deal that many have assumed it would be.

Nvidia was trying to buy ARM in a much smaller deal and that wasn't going to go through, but EU regulators are tougher than the FTC.

Mikey Jr.

Everyones been telling me Ms has got this shit in the bag and that ftc will just check this for the lulz.

So not sure why Ms is going out if their way to start making promises?

Chiggs

Gold Member
It would be nice if you read my whole post because I said that this deal is still likely to go through. His point isn't contradictory, he's just saying this isn't a simple rubber stamp deal that many have assumed it would be.

Nvidia was trying to buy ARM in a much smaller deal and that wasn't going to go through, but EU regulators are tougher than the FTC.

I did read your whole post. I thought it was good, which is why I responded?

Everyones been telling me Ms has got this shit in the bag and that ftc will just check this for the lulz.

So not sure why Ms is going out if their way to start making promises?

Because so much of this crap is a dog and pony show...just like with most things in business and government.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Anybody who thinks FTC is only going to act against monopolies, think again:

The rules have changed. Guess why AB stock is stucking around at 80? That's right, it's not a done deal at all.

The rules are the same. They are now just looking at cracks.

They don't have enough funding to do this new project they are pitching. Especially with low funding They currently have.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The rules are the same. They are now just looking at cracks.

They don't have enough funding to do this new project they are pitching. Especially with low funding They currently have.

She also spent a lot of time discussing the stranglehold Google has over the digital advertising market. Going to be seriously hard to overlook that, in favor of Microsoft's Activision deal as your first big "I HAVE ARRIVED" moment. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

kingfey

Banned
So the 360 era policies forced MS to consolidate the industry?
You need to start before that. But that is still a valid point.
Each one wanted that pie. Both companies got impatient, without looking at consequences. And now, we are seeing the consequences.

No one wants to lose the pie that makes money. By securing that pie, you are making sure the other company won't exclude you from that pie.

Hence why I hate timed exclusives.

kingfey

Banned
She also spent a lot of time discussing the stranglehold Google has over the digital advertising market. Going to be seriously hard to overlook that, in favor of Microsoft's Activision deal as your first big "I HAVE ARRIVED" moment. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Google has tons of shit in that market. I dont get how they got away with that.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Bethesda and the "Legendary" Horse Armor DLC/Microtransaction (2006)

x8foslurn9quz2foj5fi.jpg

Call of Duty Xbox DLC Exclusive

"With the release of game add ons and map packs coming first to Xbox 360, Xbox Live is the place to play Call of Duty for years to come."
- Marc Whitten, Microsoft's corporate vice president of Xbox Live

2009-2015

91JT6GbQAJL._SL1500_.jpg
61J2sQdUVpL._SY445_.jpg
71gGnVp5uwL._SY445_.jpg
5119975_sd.jpg
91NzvPL626L._SL1500_.jpg
81mdU0x-K6L._AC_SY550_.jpg

Funny how things turned out. Both companies who started doing the whole DLC/MTX on X360 are now acquired by Xbox.

kingfey

Banned
Bethesda and the "Legendary" Horse Armor DLC/Microtransaction (2006)

x8foslurn9quz2foj5fi.jpg

Call of Duty Xbox DLC Exclusive

"With the release of game add ons and map packs coming first to Xbox 360, Xbox Live is the place to play Call of Duty for years to come."
- Marc Whitten, Microsoft's corporate vice president of Xbox Live

2009-2015

91JT6GbQAJL._SL1500_.jpg
61J2sQdUVpL._SY445_.jpg
71gGnVp5uwL._SY445_.jpg
5119975_sd.jpg
91NzvPL626L._SL1500_.jpg
81mdU0x-K6L._AC_SY550_.jpg

Funny how things turned out. Both companies who started doing the whole DLC/MTX on X360 are now acquired by Xbox.
By the company who started paid online.

You missed that line.

They are made in heaven.

Zeroing

Banned
By the company who started paid online.

You missed that line.

They are made in heaven.
Let’s not forget that is also the same company who wanted to force online DRM and end consumers rights to do whatever they wanted with a physical copy of a game!

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Let’s not forget that is also the same company who wanted to force online DRM and end consumers rights to do whatever they wanted with a physical copy of a game!
And now, we are seeing that future with all digital games.

Fuck, future gaming is fucked up.

Lol 😂 I can’t wait for this deal to close so all the arm chair lawyers can go back to port beggin and masking threads about which publisher Sony is going to buy. How pathetic have we got as gamers when we are talking about regulators and FTC 🤦🏾‍♂️! Please stop this madness we buy and play games and talk about games not this please .

tmlDan

You still didn't read it dude:

What Can U.S. v. Microsoft Teach 173 About Antitrust and Multi-sided Platforms

This wasn't about a current antitrust lawsuit.
dude you should read more:

1 Of particular relevance to these hearings, 2 Microsoft’s dominant position was the product of 3 indirect effects. The Windows operating system was a 4 two-sided platform serving applications, developers, and computer users.

It's relevant because they talk about their dominance in the market, i know its not gaming related but it still has relevance that they're aware of how MS does business.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Lol 😂 I can’t wait for this deal to close so all the arm chair lawyers can go back to port beggin and masking threads about which publisher Sony is going to buy. How pathetic have we got as gamers when we are talking about regulators and FTC 🤦🏾‍♂️! Please stop this madness we buy and play games and talk about games not this please .
its a gaming enthusiast forum and this has great relevance to the market, why not talk about it.

if you're not interested, leave.

Last edited:

Goalus

Moneyhat exclusives for sure. Sony's work locking Xbox out of major third party content since PS4 launched definitely pushed Microsoft to be more aggressive. Sony kept punching Microsoft in the nose so Microsoft started buying all of the apartment buildings on the block to try to make Sony homeless.
Well put.

its a gaming enthusiast forum and this has great relevance to the market, why not talk about it.

if you're not interested, leave.
How is this relevant to the market. All the games as service games will be where they are now on of console and mobile. The only thing we don’t know about is future stuff.

Tripolygon

Banned
They can also break the contract and pay a penalty or if there are none take it to court, see you in 3-5 years.
Yet they didn't with the Besthesda acquisition and didn't with the Activision acquisition. It is almost like companies don't generally want to invite unnecessary litigation that they will lose and end up paying more than they would have otherwise.

kingfey

Banned
I apologize to the fans but MS shown over and over that is not to be trusted…. Compared to Nintendo and Sony… MS has done more damage to the gaming industry.
I wouldn't go that far.
Without MS we wouldn't have online mode. Without MS, we wouldn't have Sony games on PC.

Their bad is equal as their good.

MS Without competition destroys gaming. MS with competition is innovative to gaming. MS is like double edge sword.

Kerotan

Same shit I said when they talked about fulfilling the time exclusives with Deathloop and Ghostwire. You don’t get a pat on the back for fulfilling a contract that was already in place. But in this situation, they are saying well past the end of the current contracts in place so it’s kinda different.
Probably because they fear they won't be able to keep buying up studios and publishers if they don't.

But it will still be exclusive to Gamepass and xcloud and never on playstation now or whatever sony eventually do. So they'll see it as a worthy trade off.

Plus playstation is where cod makes most of its money.

Concern

Why are people so worried about the deal?

If everything is staying multiplatform, the deal is pointless anyway imo. So if it dies, it dies lol. No loss either way for anyone besides ms losing 70B.

tmlDan

How is this relevant to the market. All the games as service games will be where they are now on of console and mobile. The only thing we don’t know about is future stuff.
how do you know? you basically contradicted yourself because future stuff matters too.

Zeroing

Banned
I wouldn't go that far.
Without MS we wouldn't have online mode. Without MS, we wouldn't have Sony games on PC.

Their bad is equal as their good.

MS Without competition destroys gaming. MS with competition is innovative to gaming. MS is like double edge sword.
The good are less than the negatives so…

Everyone likes to point competition but MS since the mid Xbox 360 era Xbox hasn’t been any competition at all.

PS. Sega was already doing online gaming…

kingfey

Banned
The good are less than the negatives so…
The good thing made huge progress on gaming. Lets not play that one down. The xbox live system made gaming much good, and slightly toxic at the same time.
Everyone likes to point competition but MS since the mid Xbox 360 era Xbox hasn’t been any competition at all.
The ps3 wasnt a competition to them, due to how hard it was to make games for that system. MS got complacently because of that, and gave us xbox one. Once PS4 schooled them, they put their games on pc, then to steam. And went day1 on steam/pc after that.
Without ps4 slapping them hard, they wouldnt have made these steps.
PS. Sega was already doing online gaming…
It wasnt the same as xbox live.

Zeroing

Banned
The good thing made huge progress on gaming. Lets not play that one down. The xbox live system made gaming much good, and slightly toxic at the same time.

The ps3 wasnt a competition to them, due to how hard it was to make games for that system. MS got complacently because of that, and gave us xbox one. Once PS4 schooled them, they put their games on pc, then to steam. And went day1 on steam/pc after that.
Without ps4 slapping them hard, they wouldnt have made these steps.

It wasnt the same as xbox live.
I disagree, with that came online behind a payway and all that focus on multiplayer games that relied on extra purchases.

They didn’t got lazy because of PS3, they had Nintendo to fight off…

We will never know how sega would evolve online gaming because the company self sabotaged itself. RIP ahaha

kingfey

Banned
I disagree, with that came online behind a payway and all that focus on multiplayer games that relied on extra purchases.
MS is like double edge sword.
Any good thing they do, has something sinister. Still, that online mode the xbox live had brought different nation people together, by playing the same game.

They didn’t got lazy because of PS3, they had Nintendo to fight off…
Nintendo was Nintendo to MS. To them, Nintendo is like google. Little bit annoying, but much beneficial for them. To them Sony, was like Apple. Once Sony had bad gen, and made 85m x360, they went a head to the tv market, ignoring the gaming sector.

We will never know how sega would evolve online gaming because the company self sabotaged itself. RIP ahaha
Sega demise was good thing for MS, since it gave them Xbox, and xbox live. The Sega soul lives within Xbox.

Zeroing

Banned
Any good thing they do, has something sinister. Still, that online mode the xbox live had brought different nation people together, by playing the same game.

Nintendo was Nintendo to MS. To them, Nintendo is like google. Little bit annoying, but much beneficial for them. To them Sony, was like Apple. Once Sony had bad gen, and made 85m x360, they went a head to the tv market, ignoring the gaming sector.

Sega demise was good thing for MS, since it gave them Xbox, and xbox live. The Sega soul lives within Xbox.
Nah they tried to combat Nintendo with Kinect, even Sony tried to…
MS just had no clue what they were doing! 1 year head-start… a console that was easier to develop … Tons of ads from famous people… still they end up 3rd (ish)
it wasn’t bad luck.

Xbox one happed because of Apple TV rumors and because MS was greedy!

kingfey

Banned
Nah they tried to combat Nintendo with Kinect, even Sony tried to…
MS just had no clue what they were doing! 1 year head-start… a console that was easier to develop … Tons of ads from famous people… still they end up 3rd (ish)
it wasn’t bad luck.

Xbox one happed because of Apple TV rumors and because MS was greedy!
You have to know why they ended up with 3rd in the 1st pace.

They launched a console, that is focused on tv, and not gaming, because TV was hot at that time. This gave Sony The head start. The x360 community who were proud of xbox, hated the tv aspect of the console, and joined the PS4 wagon. The last nail in the coffin, was the limited 1st party studios, which meant less 1st party games. That made MS lose the market share, and their crown jewels of call of duty.

Late end x360, they didnt invest heavily on 1st party studios, While Sony focused on that part.

Funny enough, Sony is doing the same thing, but different. they focused their eggs on 1 basket, which is their strong hold 1st games, in result, they stopped making their past game formula. And now, they bought bungie to fill that fps hole.

on other hand MS focused heavily on Gamepass service, while Sony left PSnow on elderly care house since 2014.

This is the curse of the market leader.

Top Bottom