• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Has Generated $1 Billion in Retail Sales

Draugoth

Gold Member
HogwartsLegacyTVShow.jpg

Despite only releasing on current-generation consoles (release on past-generation today), Warner Bros. has announced Hogwarts Legacy has generated $1 billion in retail sales.

Within two weeks after its February 10 launch, the game sold more than 12 million copies and generated $850 million in global sales revenue. Last month, it was revealed via the Warner Bros. Senior Global Brand Manager that the game had achieved 256% to plan sell-thru at launch.

Despite Hogwarts Legacy’s success, the company posted a big loss, despite its streaming business turning a profit of $50 million for the quarter. With a total revenue of $10.7 billion in the first quarter, it means that Hogwarts Legacy amounted to around 9% of the company’s total revenue for that period.

Just yesterday, Hogwarts Legacy was reported via Newzoo to be the top-grossing title of Q1 2023.

With the past-generation console version released today, it’s likely that Hogwarts Legacy will continue to increase its earnings. On launch in February, Hogwarts Legacy racked up more than 1.3 million concurrent viewers on Twitch, making it the most-watched single-player game of all time on the platform.

CheeseCake

Reee and /gamingcirclejerk are having a group therapy session as we speak

That sub is an absolute circus.

Here's the thing though:

Do not comment on that sub unless you're absolutely 100% certain you're going to say something positive/that the sub agrees with, otherwise you will get banned.

I always go on that sub to laugh at some of the shittiest takes in gaming history and just, honestly, enjoy the charade. It really is a circus. There's plenty of clownery there.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
That sub is an absolute circus.

Here's the thing though:

Do not comment on that sub unless you're absolutely 100% certain you're going to say something positive/that the sub agrees with, otherwise you will get banned.

I always go on that sub to laugh at some of the shittiest takes in gaming history and just, honestly, enjoy the charade. It really is a circus. There's plenty of clownery there.
I lasted about 2 days on that site. I just couldn’t help myself.

Someone made a topic like “as a gay gamer, am I entitled to have the same number of gay romance options as straight ones in RPGs? I’m going to say yes.” And all the responses were like “oh yes, oh, of course you are! No reasonable person could possibly disagree with that!”

I posted a response like “I hope someday we can engineer a society where 50% of people are gay so that you have the romance options you are entitled to” and that was that lol. No regrets.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I already mentioned this in another thread, but I really don't want people to miss this if they want it:

Don't forget that you'll have another chance to grab Merlin's Cloak/Robe today with the Twitch livestream. It occurs at 9:00 AM Pacific/10:00 AM Mountain/11:00 AM Central/12:00 PM Eastern.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Depends on if they paid royalties upfront or not. I'm guessing they most likely did, so she's not actually earning a percentage of each sale.
I would like to see that contract. I assume they have to have the license with WB, and then WB has to pay Royalties to Rowling. I am sure Rowling also has right of refusal on some things as well. If I have to guess she gets a percentage of what WB gets.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Assuming 50% of the copies were sold on PlayStation (very reasonable), that means $500,000,000 on PlayStation.

Sony's revenue would be almost $150 million! And this is BEFORE the PS4 version landed today.

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

What a masterstroke to choose to market this game.

And Phil says that console says don't matter. WTH is wrong with him?

$150 million in 3 months! That's crazy!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reee and /gamingcirclejerk are having a group therapy session as we speak
And most of the people on Reee have surely played it.

Maiden Voyage or Manabyte (I forget who) posted an image of a Reeee anti-JK member group. And most of the people had in their status they were playing Hogwarts. Even one of the mods.

If even they are all playing, just imagine how many of the normal folks on that board played it.

All closet JK and HP fans.

peronmls

I love Harry Potter, but this game could have been and looked a lot better. They should have expanded outside of Hogwarts. That would have been worth the price.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well deserved. I still haven't played it but it looked great from the few times I watched my wife play it. Team worked hard and made a quality game. Happy for them.

Termite

That's a huge amount of money but I still think it was mismanaged.

They could have made Hogwarts Legacy: Year 1, and so on, for 7 years. Given the insane quality of the Hogwarts school they've created, they could have sustained that with the content they have here. Slap a persona-esque school system over your core game design and go from there.

Instead, you're given free reign of Hogwarts right away (it's amazing but overwhelming) and then most of the game takes place in bland open world fields doing bland open-world things. The school itself feels almost wasted as it is. You take like 5 classes in total, lol. The rest of the time you're out brutally murdering poachers (um... proportionality?) and "rescuing" beasts (read: poaching).

The art, music, and general game design here could have supported a ton of games had they not spunked it all on a third-rate open world game design.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Hopefully a good chunk of that billion is allocated to the studio so that they have everything they need to build upon in the sequel. Talent retention, talent acquisition, tech and pipeline upgrades. It would be a shame to see all of that go to their other failing endeavours.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Funny how people suddenly love Ubisoft style game design when it's Zelda.

Fixed for you.

kPmIAcb.jpg

The real issue with Ubisofts game design is not the design mechanically. People love it, they can't get enough of it when other people make it. The diffrence is that Ubisoft rip out everything that should be an award to the player for doing side objectives or side quests and put it on a premium ingame shop instead for real money. This means you don't feel as rewarded when playing as other games, because Ubisoft have designed the game to push you towards the cooler stuff that they sell for real money.

Hogwarts didn't do that, hence the relatively high praise.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I believe these big hits are great for the industry as a whole. Hopefully it will push some production companies to push to have their games to be as feature complete and beautiful as this one. The money is out there for them, they just have to earn it.

I realize not everyone loves this game, but I found the title impressive.

Last edited:

Stare-Bear

Banned
An amazing feat but after finishing it it’s a lot of filler. Hopefully they’ll release some dlc that adds new locations and enemies.

StueyDuck

Dope...

Really the only game that's grabbed my attention so far this year... that and a bit of sons of the forest

Top Bottom