• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Is Currently The Best Selling Game On Steam

anothertech

What a whirlwind of clusterfuck and whimsy! So entertaining when the purple hairs criss over and pretend to have a discussion!!

The whole thing came full circle with a happy ending and everything.

When the fucktards gets ban stomped, you just love to see it.

Harry Potter is gonna wreck the internet next week hahaha. I'll be right there, waiving my Slytherin flag bitches!

SaintALia

The Gender Recognition Act that she's against will allow kids as low as 16y old to legally change their gender on their birth cerificate on a whim if they "feel" born in a wrong body. The Act will try to make the process much easier by removing medical diagnosis and shorten the time needed to live in a preferred gender down to just 3 months.
To any normal person this will just worsen these kids delusion even more than before. It's supposed to be a lengthy process for a reason. If these idiots had a shred of psychological knowledge, they'd know this will only confuse them even more....and much faster. Imagine if anyone can legally just change their gender when they feel like it, complete chaos.

But being against this is "anti-trans" apparently. This world is so messed up. If anything, being against this would actually help trans people. They're just digging an even deeper hole of mental illness, they surely need a latter to start climbing back up again at this point.
Ah, so that's the bill.

I've not read the bill contents, but I googled and read Rowling's blog post about it. It seems she's doing her usual 'gatekeeping of female space' thing, so I'm not too sure about her arguments overall. Since they devolve into slippery slope arguments and 'what if' situations, even going so far as to mentioning male criminals claiming 'trans' as a way to get sent to female prisons, I mean well yeah, of course male prisoners are gonna try that. Might as well throw a hail mary if you're gonna do time. No straight guy looks forward to sausage party prison for the most part. That hasn't got much to do with 'regular' trans people though.

But it does raise questions about 'bad actors' though, as there may be people who may take advantage of the law, but does it mean demonising the whole group to do so? And even worse, does it mean that it's opponents who do fear those bad actors, that they can't voice their dissenting thoughts out of fear of retribution?

I guess it's a bit of a messed up situation, one group may feel fear of speaking their mind on something that affects them, because another group may browbeat them into acceptance, so I guess the real question is, are those fears actually legitimate?

I can't see anyone changing their gender to rape or sexually harass women, you can do all that without having to jump through those hoops, HOWEVER, I can see someone planning a murder and changing their genders before, so that they end up in women's' prisons, unless the law specifically carves out that loophole, in which case the trans person may get to male prison and get repeatedly brutally raped(like in that Law and Order episode) so....I dunno...

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Guys, we been laughing at Era not because of their political view, but because they force their political view to everyone in a gaming forum. If we start talking gender political in a thread about wizard video game for children then you look just as ridicules as Era.

While tangentially involved obviously by creating the source material the game is based on, she's not actively working on the game itself right? I'd think they'd want to judge it based on it's own merits - if that's something they considered something harmful to Trans people then sure, it would at least make sense. But this is a case of being unable to unlink JKR and the devs which is weird when you don't mind hurting a whole lot of people who don't share those views just to hurt one person.

People are going to buy this game regardless of what anyone says, that's just obvious at this point. If people there wanted to make a difference, they'd keep an open discussion going on while encouraging people to also make a donation to groups they think would be hurt otherwise. Banning any discussion is pointless, stupid, and just power crazy that serves no purpose.

I 100% support Trans rights and the right for those to disagree with that. This is a laughably stupid missed opportunity to make diverseness and inclusive a staple in the game that supports those people AND the Devs who are making it giving people more of a voice. You don't score points sticking your head in the dirt.

edit: there's a really stupid irony of those being trans or supportive of those who are having to hide that fact than having to also hide the fact again wanting to play a damn game.

Last edited:

MegalonJJ

Banned
Wow, I was banned on the other site so I found this one.

All I said was that my transgender cousin is buying the game (which is true!) and that people support companies who employ child labour etc so I was asking where you draw the line on what to boycott.

Seriously, that place is messed up. What the hell.

I am fully supporting buying this game now, because it looks amazing and the moderators on there are absolutely NUTS. In fact I am going to buy 2 copies now just to add to their sales.

775ylvh.jpg

Only a sith deals in absolutes 😂

Rush2112

Banned
Guys, we been laughing at Era not because of their political view, but because they force their political view to everyone in a gaming forum. If we start talking gender political in a thread about wizard video game for children then you look just as ridicules as Era.
Maybe so, but thats what happens when you BAN people in other forums for liking a video game. People tend to react when they feel that their freedom of speech is being suppressed by a bunch of fringe, radical zealots.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
One wonders how reviewers are going to handle this. The purists say if you play it, you’re supporting and endorsing ‘evil’. To review the game means you’re going to play it, and reviews bring clicks and generate revenue from trafficking.

Interesting to see what the Twitter mobs do when the review tweets start popping up.

MegalonJJ

Banned
In my most humble opinion, I submit there is no better evidence of mass brainwashing than someone who basically says: She saved over 500 women's lives, but she thinks women have a vagina, so she might be bad.
Science facts = bad.

Pretending while wearing Woman-Face = good, aka Factphobes. 😂

Unrivaled18

Neo Member
What they don't realize is that banning anyone who wants to discuss Hogwarts is actually hurting their position.

You start restricting people's freedom of speech and people are going to rebel. I have nothing against the trans community, but clearly there is a portion of them who are way too far gone to have a proper discussion about anything.

Either that, or some people there are virtue signalling to try to make themselves feel good (because they are better than anyone who dares to want to play a video game).

The person who started the whole thread seems like a terrible person and a bully. This isn't exclusive to being male, female, or transgender. Some people are just terrible people and take their rage out on anyone who dares to not share the exact same views.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
In my most humble opinion, I submit there is no better evidence of mass brainwashing than someone who basically says: She saved over 500 women's lives, but she thinks women have a vagina, so she might be bad.

That's a pretty bad read of that (made worse by the continued downplaying of Rowling's rhetoric). The respondent might be an insufferable nut, but the basic premise isn't faulty (from her perspective): Rowling's support of women abused by the Taliban is supported, but does not erase the harm done to countless others.

. . .you're dismissing the comment because it is rooted in an argument you don't think has merit; doesn't mean it is evidence of a bad argument or "brainwashing."

NickFire

That's a pretty bad read of that (made worse by the continued downplaying of Rowling's rhetoric). The respondent might be an insufferable nut, but the basic premise isn't faulty (from her perspective): Rowling's support of women abused by the Taliban is supported, but does not erase the harm done to countless others.

. . .you're dismissing the comment because it is rooted in an argument you don't think has merit; doesn't mean it is evidence of a bad argument or "brainwashing."
She did not harm anyone. She disagreed with people. That is not a reason to question if she deserves praise for saving 500 women's lives.

But in hindsight you are correct. I do not believe there is any merit to the argument that disagreement (between strangers) can be fairly called harm.

That is because most rational people can separate the art from the artist. Most importantly in this situation J.K. Rowling had no hand in the production of this game outside the fact she created the HP Universe.

People on twitter screeching for a boycott don't realize that this game tanking wouldn't put a dent in Rowling's bank account, but would only hurt the devs/studio.

J.K. Rowling is worth around $1 Billion, so do they actually think she's losing sleep over the success or failure of a video game?

MegalonJJ

Banned

What harm was done though? Is this harm part of on the ongoing (imaginary) genocide? I wonder how victims of actual (read: real) genocides feel when people now say that stating basic scientific facts = genocide.

Ah, I see some resetera cuck came here to throw a shitfit. Shame I missed it, but doesn't look like they were sending their best anyway.

I personally take pleasure in the fact that this game is going to sell like gangbusters and all they can do is impotently punch air.

NickFire

On the lighter side of things, a guy lasted about 14 minutes after posting he was getting the game before they banned him a minute ago. I couldn't help myself after seeing the quote above about a February game reboot. Went in, and sure enough he posted it right at the same time. Those 14 minutes gave me flashbacks to watching OJ's Bronco in a slow chase by the cops, or the Seinfeld episode where they see how long a car can run with the empty light. You new it was gonna end soon, but seeing how long he could last was riveting. At least in my mind, where the cop in this instance probably threw a plate of chicken tenders in the air before screaming to his mom about cleaning the cheeto dust from his keyboard so he could properly flex his authority.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I'm actually looking forward to the game for what it is, but I have to be honest: this is already one of the most entertaining releases of all time for me. And I've been gaming since the SNES days. I can't wait to see the purplehairs lose it when it turns out to be a success both critically and commercially.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Banning him was a mistake.

Him being here proved how much these people hold internet discourse sacred and have no real life outside of internet.

He literally believed we were angry, i suspect anyone was even bothered by him.

His existance was a cherry on top at the cake of not giving a fuck.

Anyway, a week to go. Cant wait for the game.
Godammit I was having the fun!

That's cool and all, but let's hope it's successful because it's a good game, not because it's 'anti-woke'.

Groupthink is bad no matter where you stand.

That's what is hilarious, the game itself is likely not even anti-woke and actually have some thought on diversity, yet the Twitter cancel-verse will hate it just because J.K. Rowling got paid.

The thing is i dont think the trans or lgbt community majority even feel the way the extremist on era do. I have plenty of gay friends who are very excited for this game, even one of my friends who underwent a transition a few years ago is excited. Era likes to think that they are the voice of the marginalized in the gaming community, but thats not the case at all

I know many in the LGBT community who have zero issues with the game existing or even playing it themselves. Sure, they aren't fans of J.K. Rowling (Neither am I), but they are rational enough to know the difference between a video game and a single person's political views they shared on twitter.

I can say with 100% certainty that Twitter and Era do not speak for all members of any community.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
She did not harm anyone. She disagreed with people. That is not a reason to question if she deserves praise for saving 500 women's lives.

But in hindsight you are correct. I do not believe there is any merit to the argument that disagreement (between strangers) can be fairly called harm.
...What harm?

. . .and others, I repeat:

The respondent might be an insufferable nut, but the basic premise isn't faulty (from her perspective)

Has nothing to do with the "truthiness" of their argument.

I doubt Era is hoping that the game bombs that much. The point would be that Rowling makes less money, but other people's livelihoods are still tied to the game.

Also lol, I sometimes forget the bad blood between the two forums. It's like both sides see each other as some kind of black stain or something. Ah well, I still feel this site has become way too lax, and Era is far too strict, the split was essentially The Dark Crystal.

Era literally is an echo chamber and all echo chambers are inherently toxic garbage.

-Zelda-

Banned
George Lucas called Jedi and sith "space wizards" so if anyone goes there and makes an account with that name, will they also be banned?

Unrivaled18

Neo Member
This is apparently all the bad things Rowling has done listed below, from the batshit crazy Kyuuji poster on resetera. They also wrote a 25 page essay on why she is so bad but I ain't reading it:

"J.K. Rowling is someone who:
It is inarguable at this point that Rowling is actively and demonstrably destructive to trans lives, especially that of children and those in the UK. The wave of transphobia she ignited and continues to drive has led to legislation being scrapped, rights being removed, career paths denied, children's charities closing services, proposed bans on torture reversed and hate crimes against trans people reaching record highs. That is all to say that this is having not just a real impact, but a significant one. Life for trans people in the UK grows more uncertain as a direct consequence of the above, and it's not about to stop."

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

This is apparently all the bad things Rowling has done listed below, from the batshit crazy Kyuuji poster on resetera. They also wrote a 25 page essay on why she is so bad but I ain't reading it:

"J.K. Rowling is someone who:
It is inarguable at this point that Rowling is actively and demonstrably destructive to trans lives, especially that of children and those in the UK. The wave of transphobia she ignited and continues to drive has led to legislation being scrapped, rights being removed, career paths denied, children's charities closing services, proposed bans on torture reversed and hate crimes against trans people reaching record highs. That is all to say that this is having not just a real impact, but a significant one. Life for trans people in the UK grows more uncertain as a direct consequence of the above, and it's not about to stop."

That fucking hypocritical shitstain will play the game because someone will « donate » it to him/her/xer/xir/it/etc (I don’t know anymore..)

Top Bottom