• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Becomes Second Best Selling Retail PS5 Game In Japan

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
hogwartslegacy3jpg-740x431.jpg

Hogwarts Legacy has become the second best-selling retail game on PlayStation 5 in Japan. According to the latest sales figures, Gran Turismo 7 tops the list with 298,945 copies sold, followed by Hogwarts Legacy with 154,174 copies sold.

RankGame TitleCopies Sold
1Gran Turismo 7298,945
2Hogwarts Legacy154,174
3Horizon Forbidden West151,755
4Elden Ring141,741

Hogwarts Legacy has shattered records since its early access period, becoming the most-watched single-player game of all time on the streaming platform Twitch. Its official release on 10 February 2023 has led to global sales revenue of $850 million and over 280 million hours played worldwide, breaking company records for Warner Bros. Games.

harry potter rowling GIF

As traditional
641a74ca17527.webp
As someone who is the "G" in LGBT I wish we weren't grouped with the "T" lol it's not the same thing and we shouldn't be lumped into a single group. I know that's a fake tweet but I know there are people out there who believe that the "boycott" and counter protest made a difference in sales, neither one had much of an impact. Most people who bought it weren't even thinking of trans people they wanted a good fantasy action game based on that IP and that's exactly what they got.

I know that's a fake tweet but I know there are people out there who believe that the "boycott" and counter protest made a difference in sales, neither one had much of an impact.
It pushed me to a day one sale of a game that I would have otherwise likely waited to purchase, but I agree for most people the main result of the boycott and counter protest was simply free publicity. That does have an impact, though.

Japan has different cultural values than the West, they're not going to give a damn about this controversy.

On a sidenote, JK Rowling better be careful, the alphabet mafia really has it for her. They've put a hit out on her and her career.

How is Elden Ring not higher? Guess the Souls games aren't popular in Japan?

Hogwarts is a big game at this point. Is likely attracting main stream audiance. No one expected GTA 5 to be such a leap in sales over GTA 4, but it did.

We don't know these days what sort of nos a game will do, when it breaks that mainstream barrier.

Bigger question is, how Horizon is higher than Elden Ring? Last time I checked, ER was being sold in non gaming stores in Japan, it got that popular. Not to mention it released at same time and had all the mindshare.

My guess is bundarus.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If only this game wasn't designed for 8-12 year olds in mind when it comes to mediocre quests and open world design, as well as primitive (or more like non-existent) RPG elements and dialogue system, it would've been great game, but as it stands right now... it's just okay at best and nothing more. The only saving grace of this game is outstanding atmosphere, music, overall art and art-design when it comes environments, buildings and interiors etc. - the best recreation of HP world in video games ever.

nial

Gold Member
Bigger question is, how Horizon is higher than Elden Ring? Last time I checked, ER was being sold in non gaming stores in Japan, it got that popular. Not to mention it released at same time and had all the mindshare.

My guess is bundarus.
Even so, retail PS4+PS5 Elden Ring is bigger than PS4+PS5 Horizon.

Tams

Hogwarts is a big game at this point. Is likely attracting main stream audiance. No one expected GTA 5 to be such a leap in sales over GTA 4, but it did.

We don't know these days what sort of nos a game will do, when it breaks that mainstream barrier.

My guess is bundarus.

Quite simply, though of course this is a generalisation, Japanese people aren't great fans of dark topics, even in fiction.

Did there are done that do well, but even then you can see the 'cutesy' side in many of them e.g. the characters in RE/Biohazard.

Just look at their manga, anime, TV shows, films, music (look at the 'royal road chord progression), even news. It's almost all light-hearted, with little that is dark or gritty.

As a none Japanese person, it makes things like their detective dramas very boring.

On topic: Harry Potter is mostly light-hearted fantasy. Sure, there absolutely is a significant darker side to the world, but the general feeling is of a fun world with magic, mostly based around a school (a setting Japanese people seem to have a great affinity to).

Woopah

Horizon above Elden Ring?

That's highly surprising.

Bundarus magic?
Surely those other games higher sold at a similar ratio though
Hogwarts is PS5 only and GT7 and Horizon 2 had PS5 bundles which pushed that version. Neither of these apply to Elden Ring, so for that game the PS4 version sold best.

Elden Ring PS4 - 343 581
Elden Ring PS5 - 127,664

Elden Ring did better than Horizon overall on console, and possibly better than GT7 too.

In general the PS4 version of games have been selling better, though I expect that to change this year now that supply issues are over. This should be shown when we get RE4 numbers next week.

ybfelix

Neo Member
Quite simply, though of course this is a generalisation, Japanese people aren't great fans of dark topics, even in fiction.

Did there are done that do well, but even then you can see the 'cutesy' side in many of them e.g. the characters in RE/Biohazard.

Just look at their manga, anime, TV shows, films, music (look at the 'royal road chord progression), even news. It's almost all light-hearted, with little that is dark or gritty.

As a none Japanese person, it makes things like their detective dramas very boring.

On topic: Harry Potter is mostly light-hearted fantasy. Sure, there absolutely is a significant darker side to the world, but the general feeling is of a fun world with magic, mostly based around a school (a setting Japanese people seem to have a great affinity to).
I read some people reason that it's because highschool age is rare truly happy period for an average Japanese

Last edited:
Not great news at all.

Nearly 3M sold, 298k is the best software on the console. Hogwarts being second is a symptom of a larger issue. It wouldn't happen in PS4.

That gap between units and bad software sales can't hold. Sony needs to do something but they don't seem interested in the region.

Yeah it's good to see Hogwarts chart otherwise but the software situation is concerning.

Last edited:

Reallink

Japan has different cultural values than the West, they're not going to give a damn about this controversy.

On a sidenote, JK Rowling better be careful, the alphabet mafia really has it for her. They've put a hit out on her and her career.

Career? She's already a Billionaire my guy, her great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren 500 generations removed could already have a million dollar trust that would pay them a 6 figure salary for life through high dividend yields.

Last edited:

Woopah

Not great news at all.

Nearly 3M sold, 298k is the best software on the console. Hogwarts being second is a symptom of a larger issue. It wouldn't happen in PS4.

That gap between units and bad software sales can't hold. Sony needs to do something but they don't seem interested in the region.

Yeah it's good to see Hogwarts chart otherwise but the software situation is concerning.
Digital will make those software numbers look a bit better.

I don't think Sony isn't interested in the region, its just that the software situation there isn't an easy one to solve.

I think when it came out last year there was a rather pitiful PS5 InstallBase in Japan. PS4 would have took some sales too.

I believe it'll get purchased alongside the console this year as there is ample stock now. Sales will go up higher than normal you'd think post launch.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Makes sense. A story about young kids with crazy hair and big scarfs… it’s right up japans alley.

Digital will make those software numbers look a bit better.

I don't think Sony isn't interested in the region, its just that the software situation there isn't an easy one to solve.

They haven't shown interest there since PS4 with only a moderate push.

It's been going on since the Wii collapsed really for consoles.

Top Bottom