• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Freeman76

Probably fair to assume they will make DLC for this considering its doing gangbusters. I wonder what they might cook up....

The team behind this are geniuses, such an amazing, magical experience.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ah man, just found the first thing I hate - the stupid fucking gear slots. How do I know if I can loot it? Then it blanks the chest. Just had to walk past everything in the restricted section. Is there a stash?

SJRB

Gold Member
Ah man, just found the first thing I hate - the stupid fucking gear slots. How do I know if I can loot it? Then it blanks the chest. Just had to walk past everything in the restricted section. Is there a stash?

Yeah this blows.

Go into your gear and open for example the gloves segment. Then you'll see a grid with the gloves in your inventory but you'll also see faded-out icons of other pieces of gear. That grid is actually your gear inventory. If the grid is full it means you have no room in your inventory. So delete lower-tier shit on the regular or sell it at vendors. If you don't and your gear inventory is full, opening a chest will despawn the item.

Massive design oversight and seems like a prime candidate for a fix.

You can always reload an earlier save, make room and loot the chest again. Keep in mind that all loot is RNG so you probably won't get the same item again.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The loot system sucks, but you get used to selling everything you don’t have equipped every time you see a vendor or complete a main story quest. And it gets a little more interesting once you unlock RoR and the upgrade system, mainly because of what’s involved in farming those resources.

jaysius

Banned
This was what I was worried about, it reminds me of a bag GaaS game, do you need to intensely grind it?

There was a ton of loot in Wticher 3 but it was fairly meaningful.

cormack12

Gold Member
The loot system sucks, but you get used to selling everything you don’t have equipped every time you see a vendor or complete a main story quest. And it gets a little more interesting once you unlock RoR and the upgrade system, mainly because of what’s involved in farming those resources.
Can I sell in the castle?

SJRB

Gold Member
This was what I was worried about, it reminds me of a bag GaaS game, do you need to intensely grind it?

There was a ton of loot in Wticher 3 but it was fairly meaningful.

What? No man. What do you even mean, GaaS game? This game has loot like every other RPG under the sun and no you don't need to grind anything. Stuff just drops from enemies defeated.

jaysius

Banned
What? No man. What do you even mean, GaaS game? This game has loot like every other RPG under the sun and no you don't need to grind anything. Stuff just drops from enemies defeated.
Well that's a relief, thank you for confirming that.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
right now I’m wishing I didn’t skip out on Harry Potter, growing up.
This seems like such a treat for fans of that world. I need my Ninja Turtles version of this.

By all accounts, it’s still good even if you didn’t grow up with Harry Potter, but I have to imagine a lot of enjoyment is stemming from fantasy fulfillment.

right now I’m wishing I didn’t skip out on Harry Potter, growing up.
This seems like such a treat for fans of that world. I need my Ninja Turtles version of this.

By all accounts, it’s still good even if you didn’t grow up with Harry Potter, but I have to imagine a lot of enjoyment is stemming from fantasy fulfillment.

Its never too late to watch the movies and immerse yourself even more.

ShadowNate

Massive performance increase new NVIDIA. Drivers.
What version is this? I've read a tweet mentioning potential black screens and suggesting to revert to previous ones.

I got a notification to update top 528.49 (8 Feb '23) game-ready, but it does not mention Hogwarts.

I caved and bought the deluxe, yesterday. Hope we get to spend some fun time playing the game with my nephew.

Freeman76

He doesn’t need to buy it, he probably got a free code so now he still gets to go on the internets and virtue his heart out even though he’s still playing it.

That tweet translates into this:

I'm a total penis. Thank you

🤣🤣

Shame WB wont have the balls to fire him, fhat would really ruffle their feathers

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just about everyone is playing this at my work, hell my boss got a ps5 yesterday just so he can play it. We were all talking about it and we got the one guy that was like how dare you blah blah blah. So I guess they exist off of Twitter….

Flabagast

Incredible game indeed, the attention to details and art direction are staggering, like once every three year staggering.

RT implementation on PS5 is pretty solid I think.

Just discovered a small little tomb
along with some quite creepy enemies and to get out of there I’ve had to use Wingardium Leviosa on the skeletons lying around and build stairs with them

Didn’t expect that haha.

Last edited:
My bigotted basic bitch hufflepuff character:

s4SvT0n.jpg

Her in game name is Lyra Ferreira and I think she is super cute lol.

Lyra is inspiration from His Dark Materials books which are my favourite books after Harry Potter. I was struggling to think of a surname for her and because I had just been listening to Sky Ferreira I went with Ferreira.

So far I'm at the point just after you fight the troll dude in Hogsmeade.

As a huge HP fan this game is fucking amazing. The movies were great to bring the world of Harry Potter to life but in about 2 hours of gameplay this game has changed the way I think about Hogwarts and the surrounding areas. I mean, in the movies we only see much of Hogwarts, the grounds, and Hogsmeade. The original HP games I loved but this is on another level. I'm in awe exploring Hogwarts. I've read the books countless time but already I'm wanting to go read them again now that I have a different imagination of what Hogwarts, the lake, Forbidden Forest, Hogsmeade, etc look like. After 20+ years of imagination it feels odd and exciting to see Hogwarts come to life in this way. Again, the movies done an amazing job of showing book readers what the world looked like but this game goes so much further. Exploring Hogwarts I ended up in the dungeons (where potions are), in the library, and on the way to Hogsmeade I wanted to go off exploring the forest, and everywhere else.

I can't believe how much I doubted this game and now how much I hate myself for it. In many ways this does justice to the books more than the movies. I really hope I get the chance to explore everywhere at my own pace. This is almost like a dream come true to explore Hogwarts at my own pace and leisure. I'm in love with this game so much. It would be criminal if this is a one off game. Again, I'm only two fucking hours into the game but I never want this to end. I'm likely 50, 60, 70..... 100 hours away from finishing this game but I don't want to leave this world. We need more games in the Harry Potter world like this.

Avalanche, you fucking magnificent bastards, well done! Thank you so much for this game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’ve been playing with the different graphics settings on PS5, honestly I think Performance HFR is what I’ll stick with. The lower resolution, lighting quality, and shadow pop-in are barely noticeable to me.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Game seems to be giving my wife the treatment. Oh to be a fly on the wall in our living room last night.

I'm playing Panzer Dragoon in the corner on a small monitor, just cursing like mad and developing carpal tunnel syndrome. Wife is on the couch cursing her head off too. "I fucking cast the spell!"

Tough times in Fart Town USA 😅

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For people who love harry potter? Why does that sound strange?

If it was a shit game i could understand the confusion, but this is not the case.

The feeling of a living, breathing world, graphic and performance are already better than ER ever was, if you add an EXTREMELY beloved coat of paint and so much love in the project, and it's not that hard to imagine.

Not everyone prefer berserk fantasy over harry potter magic overworld.

I love the game but comparing it to Elden Ring is like comparing Mario to Spyro the Dragon. They are so vastly different it is rather pointless to compare. Hogwarts has more in common with Yakuza than it does Elden Ring.

Game seems to be giving my wife the treatment. Oh to be a fly on the wall in our living room last night.

I'm playing Panzer Dragoon in the corner on a small monitor, just cursing like mad and developing carpal tunnel syndrome. Wife is on the couch cursing her head off too. "I fucking cast the spell!"

Tough times in Fart Town USA 😅
that third duel is tough, if thats where she was stuck

GymWolf

I love the game but comparing it to Elden Ring is like comparing Mario to Spyro the Dragon. They are so vastly different it is rather pointless to compare. Hogwarts has more in common with Yakuza than it does Elden Ring.
They don't need to be similar for someone to say that they prefer HL.

They are both open world action rpg, enough of a similarity for many to compare the 2.

People compared horizon and zelda botw that were even more different.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They don't need to be similar for someone to say that they prefer HL.

They are both open world action rpg, enough of a similarity for many to compare the 2.

People compared horizon and zelda botw that were even more different.

True, but I also called out people for being dumb back then with those comparisons, lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still waiting for my physical copy...

For people playing on PS5, quality vs performance?

I don't have a VRR capable TV, so it's either 30 or 60 for me.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Yea, this game amazing. I've been doing a lot exploring and side questing and spell collecting, all that is well done and interesting.

Power Pro

So...I still haven't seen like anything from this game. I've seen the occasional trailer from months ago, but I actually haven't seen this game in action.

I know it's a prequel era type game, and that you're a student at Hogwarts, but that's it.

What's the setup? What exactly do you do? What's the story?

Flabagast

Still waiting for my physical copy...

For people playing on PS5, quality vs performance?

I don't have a VRR capable TV, so it's either 30 or 60 for me.
Quality or Quality RT (both are pretty stable 30)

There is a noticeable visual difference in comparison to performance mode (in lighting, shadows, and most notably LOD of vegetation and distant details)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quality or Quality RT (both are pretty stable 30)

There is a noticeable visual difference in comparison to performance mode (in lighting, shadows, and most notably LOD of vegetation and distant details)

Dammit, I'm really not a fan of 30fps anymore, after having been playing almost exclusively at 60 for two years.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The PS5 dual sense hogwarts legacy controller looks really nice. anyone else planning on getting it?
m7vhq3c8e6ha1.jpg

Ehhhhh. Looks like cheap tribal tattoo. Stars / constellations would be a better fit. Still, this is definitely better than the God of War one.

Top Bottom