• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Finally started this this morning. Just got past the sorting hat.

My god, it's truly fantastic. I was NOT expecting this level of polish and production. Wow. An HP fans dream.

I've opted for Fidelity Mode w/ uncapped framerate on my Series X/77" LG C2, w/ chromatic aberration and film grain OFF. Looks absolutely stunning and the game runs closer to 40fps on average w/ the framerate uncapped and VRR.

Last edited:

D23

Finally started this this morning. Just got past the sorting hat.

My god, it's truly fantastic. I was NOT expecting this level of polish and production. Wow. An HP fans dream.

I've opted for Fidelity Mode w/ uncapped framerate on my Series X/77" LG C2, w/ chromatic aberration and film grain OFF. Looks absolutely stunning and the game runs closer to 40fps on average w/ the framerate uncapped and VRR.

Try fidelity w/RT. im playing in the same tv as yours and it looks amazing

Last edited:

nikos

Pretty crazy that I'm 18 hours into this game and have barely seen any of its world. I have no clue what's waiting out there, not to mention things changing depending on the time of day. I'm so excited to explore it.

Last edited:

sendit

Massive performance increase new NVIDIA. Drivers.
Assuming you're talking about 528.49?

If so, I've heard conflicting reports on this one (performance decrease, graphical errors, black screens). Waiting to update until Nvidia specifically mentions HL in the release notes.

Flabagast

Pretty crazy that I'm 18 hours into this game and have barely seen any of its world. I have no clue what's waiting out there, not to mention things changing depending on the time of day. I'm so excited to explore it.
Yep and do not forget that the game features several seasons and according changes to the map

It's so fucking impressive to be honest, there are surprises and things to discover everywhere + everything feels uniquely designed with barely any repetition, + the dual structure of the open world (hogwarts vs. the overworld) changes the pace very nicely.

It seems to be one of the best designed open worlds of the last few years. The more you play, the more the game seems really huge.

nikos

Yep and do not forget that the game features several seasons and according changes to the map

It's so fucking impressive to be honest, there are surprises and things to discover everywhere + everything feels uniquely designed with barely any repetition, + the dual structure of the open world (hogwarts vs. the overworld) changes the pace very nicely.

It seems to be one of the best designed open worlds of the last few years. The more you play, the more the game seems really huge.

If the world changes according to season, I wonder if there are things you can miss. Also wonder how it works post-game, since you can continue to play the game after the story ends. Will seasons change at that point?

fart town usa

Gold Member
that third duel is tough, if thats where she was stuck
Not sure to be honest. I've only watched a bit.

Does the combat require a lot of dodging/rolling? My wife honestly looks terrible at the game, just spamming buttons and standing still, lol. She's great at Ratchet & Clank and other games she plays but she's playing Hogwarts like absolute shit. I warned her that she should implement dodging cause the game might ramp up difficulty and be even more frustrating.

oji-san

Banned
Hows saving works? auto saves or can you manually save everywhere.
I much prefer manual saving on open-world games.

So I redeemed the codes via the playstation app, now how can I download the extras in my PS5? Can‘t find an option to redownload stuff that‘s been recently „bought“, and it seems I can‘t find the extra content on the Hofwarts Legacy page in the PS store.

HeadsUp7Up

So I redeemed the codes via the playstation app, now how can I download the extras in my PS5? Can‘t find an option to redownload stuff that‘s been recently „bought“, and it seems I can‘t find the extra content on the Hofwarts Legacy page in the PS store.
I’m on Xbox but everything popped up after I created my player in the game.

Edit: Or maybe it was before, can’t exactly remember. Whatever it was it happened in the game and not in the game store or on a download page.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I was reading your story yesterday and it was wonderful, i wish you and your family all the best, also thanks a lot for the user who bought the game, enjoy it! :)
Thanks. When I get home I’ll try to take a pic of her character. She’s absolutely loving the game. I think she’s having more fun walking around the school than actually playing the game, lol.

She’s butting her head against some parts though. She want’s everything found and unlocked before the story beats will allow her. Like there’s a chest with an eye, and she thought she had to open it as soon as she saw it, no matter how many times I told her she will likely need to come back later to open it.

Kids want everything now! And my kids especially do, and don’t understand why they can’t. But that might be because of the autism.

GymWolf

So...I still haven't seen like anything from this game. I've seen the occasional trailer from months ago, but I actually haven't seen this game in action.

I know it's a prequel era type game, and that you're a student at Hogwarts, but that's it.

What's the setup? What exactly do you do? What's the story?
7aky4i.jpg

I’m on Xbox but everything popped up after I created my player in the game.

Edit: Or maybe it was before, can’t exactly remember. Whatever it was it happened in the game and not in the game store or on a download page.
Ah ok, well maybe it‘s not a download but just an unlock code. Didn‘t start the game yet but thanks for the info.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So...I still haven't seen like anything from this game. I've seen the occasional trailer from months ago, but I actually haven't seen this game in action.

I know it's a prequel era type game, and that you're a student at Hogwarts, but that's it.

What's the setup? What exactly do you do? What's the story?
You’re a late comer to the school, but you also have super special abilities. They don’t tell you much at all in the beginning.

Does the combat require a lot of dodging/rolling? My wife honestly looks terrible at the game, just spamming buttons and standing still, lol. She's great at Ratchet & Clank and other games she plays but she's playing Hogwarts like absolute shit. I warned her that she should implement dodging cause the game might ramp up difficulty and be even more frustrating.
yeah dodging and countering/parrying, and there are shields which correspond to different spells you can cast. The combat is honestly a lot more complex than I expected.

Found the dark arts battle arena by chance, shit's glorious, can really make the combat shine here and these unforgivable curses are wild; feels like the combat arena's in the batman arkham games

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

There’s a lot going on. Dodge with circle, deflect with triangle, if someone casts levioso on you you have to press the right button prompt to get out of it. Different color shields require the corresponding spell to disable them. R1 throws environmental objects at the enemy. Plus if your enemies cluster together their shields can overlap and you have to make sure you have a clear shot at your target.

Krathoon

For some reason, I totally missed the compass feature when I first started. Press up on the direction pad and you will get a whisp pointing you to where you need to go.

Jayjayhd34

Assuming you're talking about 528.49?

If so, I've heard conflicting reports on this one (performance decrease, graphical errors, black screens). Waiting to update until Nvidia specifically mentions HL in the release notes.
The latest one I assume I was running 3080 till a few hours ago and did not give me black screens and helped performance now runnning rtx4080 with that very driver and performance is great.

cormack12

Gold Member
Thanks. When I get home I’ll try to take a pic of her character. She’s absolutely loving the game. I think she’s having more fun walking around the school than actually playing the game, lol.

She’s butting her head against some parts though. She want’s everything found and unlocked before the story beats will allow her. Like there’s a chest with an eye, and she thought she had to open it as soon as she saw it, no matter how many times I told her she will likely need to come back later to open it.

Kids want everything now! And my kids especially do, and don’t understand why they can’t. But that might be because of the autism.
She will reach a story mission to break into the library and get a sneaking spell. When you have it, cast it then the eye won't see you when you sneak up to them. Fyi I think they only have gold in them albeit 500

If the world changes according to season, I wonder if there are things you can miss. Also wonder how it works post-game, since you can continue to play the game after the story ends. Will seasons change at that point?
Good question… would be nice if you’re just able to change the season at your will then, so you can spend more time in your favourite season.

ajanke

Hell yea. I’ve been taking my time in main quest and just keep discovering cool new features of the game. Some dungeons, beast taming/capturing, getting money by running around the map looting so I can have a big ass set up in my requirement room. Lol

For some reason, I totally missed the compass feature when I first started. Press up on the direction pad and you will get a whisp pointing you to where you need to go.
I turned off the minimap and objective markers from the start, why follow a hud, when there's in universe magic options.

SJRB

Gold Member
That Pippin motherfucker giving me a "small task" to make "a few coins" sending me on my way across the map like I'm the fucking Dragonborn walking all the way from Riften to Solitude.

This asshole better fork over 1000 coins or he's the first I'm going to Avada Kedavra.

Freeman76

Put 25 hours in since Monday. I NEVER do that. Its just consistently breathtaking. Last time I really felt like this was RDR2 and even then it didnt have the warm cosy feeling of this.

I really hope there is enough in it that I can long my first playthrough out for weeks like I did with Red Dead 2. If this quality stays up til the end it will be among my favourite games in years and I think if it does a snowy winter chapter it could possibly be my GOAT.

Put 25 hours in since Monday. I NEVER do that. Its just consistently breathtaking. Last time I really felt like this was RDR2 and even then it didnt have the warm cosy feeling of this.

I really hope there is enough in it that I can long my first playthrough out for weeks like I did with Red Dead 2. If this quality stays up til the end it will be among my favourite games in years and I think if it does a snowy winter chapter it could possibly be my GOAT.
Me: 22 hours on xbox... and 3 on PC. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
It's a collectathon type of game. Story and characters aren't particularly interesting. But it feels so good to play. And it's beautiful.

Krathoon

Is the hospital hidden or something?
I have been up in the owl tower and where the beast classes are at. I am at the part of the game where you play like a student while Fig is gone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom