• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holding the long gun in your off hand is one of the coolest things about Max Payne 3

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
maxresdefault.jpg

one of the coolest small things i loved about Max Payne 3 is when Max has a single handed gun and a long gun, instead of the gun magically attaching to his back he holds it in his off hand... I never seen any other third person shooter do that, its just a small thing but its still always been cool to me

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The level in the past when max was I. The city is great.
Overall the game got way too many cutscenes. You can’t skip them and they flash like if some idiot edited them

bender

What time is it?
The level in the past when max was I. The city is great.
Overall the game got way too many cutscenes. You can’t skip them and they flash like if some idiot edited them

Can you not skip them on PC? I played through the game on XSX this year and hunting down all the gun parts is a fucking chore because the cutscenes are used to "disguise" the loading.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can you not skip them on PC? I played through the game on XSX this year and hunting down all the gun parts is a fucking chore because the cutscenes are used to "disguise" the loading.
You cannot for the most part

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Never played three.
One and two were amazing.
For me part 1 and 2 wrapped up the story.

For I think the whole. Shaved head, beard generic character look didn’t work for Max. plus in screen shots it just looked like another cover shooter.
Then it had the whole bright look of things which made me think this isn’t very max Payne.
All that made me less interested in playing.

if I get the chance is it worth playing?

Last edited:

YCoCg

Never played three.
One and two were amazing.
For me part 1 and 2 wrapped up the story.

For I think the whole. Shaved head, beard generic character look didn’t work for Max. plus in screen shots it just looked like another cover shooter.
Then it had the whole bright look of things which made me think this isn’t very max Payne.
All that made me less interested in playing.

if I get the chance is it worth playing?
It IS worth playing, for a lot of people the changes are too drastic BUT the game is Non-Linear and later in the game (around half way point and near the end) you get the back story levels which is more in line with what people "expect" of Max Payne:
18913_PszLQnV7ng_7683620120210_053307_1_big.jpg

maxpayne3_nyscreens_0020.jpg

maxpayne3_askedandansweredpart2_021512.jpg

Max-Payne-3-New-York-02.jpg

And then right near the end (one of the last three levels) you get the connecting point of the story where Max abandons any hope he had remaining and gives into the lifestyle that leads him to Brazil, which is also one of the best levels in the game, Panema:
maxresdefault.jpg

Promotion and advertising for this game did a good job of hiding most of the content and only focusing on the "extreme" parts that was bald and bearded Max in the slums of Brazil but the actual game itself jumps back and forth over the course of a few years and in those parts Max is written slightly different so it appears he's losing sanity and hope if you follow the events chronologically,

It IS still very different in tone, the lack of nightmares and the comic panels were missed (especially as the story has two good points for Nightmares too) and a lot of the sanity loss and drugged up/alcoholic parts takes HEAVY influence from Tony Scott's Man On Fire (seriously, the entire Brazil arc is just a rip off of this movie with some parts changed slightly):

In the end though, it's still one of the best third person shooters around, controls are amazing and don't worry about it being a "cover based shooter" as the higher difficulty levels force you out of cover and enemies flank you a LOT so it plays better as the run and gun style the original two were.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Game killed the Max Payne franchise. Everybody was expecting noir next gen game, and instead we got some shit in Brazil.
Nah, what killed it was Rockstar's idiotic decision making. Even despite the fact that the game sold extremely well, it still lost money because in typical Rockstar fashion, they've spent too much money and too many years making it. Plus Rockstar of today just wants to focus on making cash cows like GTA 5, and Max Payne simply isn't ripe for long-term exploitation and the kind of bullshit that GTA Online has become.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game killed the Max Payne franchise. Everybody was expecting noir next gen game, and instead we got some shit in Brazil.

Game is noir as fuck. People seem to misunderstand noir with "rainy foggy Manhattan back alleys".

Look up what "film noir" is on wikipedia and tell me this game doesn't 100% fit that bill:

• Film noir (/nwɑːr/; French: [film nwaʁ]) is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and motivations.
  • "We'd be oversimplifying things in calling film noir oneiric, strange, erotic, ambivalent, and cruel ..."—this set of attributes constitutes the first of many attempts to define film noir made by French critics Raymond Borde and Étienne Chaumeton in their 1955 book Panorama du film noir américain 1941–1953 (A Panorama of American Film Noir), the original and seminal extended treatment of the subject.[6] They emphasize that not every film noir embodies all five attributes in equal measure—one might be more dreamlike; another, particularly brutal.

Max Payne 3 is an incredible game on a technical level, but also from a narrative perspective. A deeply flawed Max trying to run from his problems by taking on a seemingly low-risk security job in Brazil which escalates to the extreme and descends the player further and further into physical and mental madness. All the while Max is battling his demons and his addictions - and he is losing.

It's unreal we never got a 4th.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

And ironically one third of the game in neo noir New Jersey and a bunch of levels showing the transition to Brazil but let's ignore that for now.

Glad you brought that up, since the abrupt transition only further accentuates how much worse the Brazil setting is. I'd draw a parallel to RE5 being set in Africa, where it just isn't really a fitting setting for the series. In either game, a new IP would have been totally warranted and made more sense.

Last edited:

GymWolf

At 1st I thought it was a typo... then I realized it wasn't a typo.
well done clap GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Seems like it may be an unpopular opinion here but Max Payne 3 is one of my favorite games of all time.
Same.

Also, hardly an unpopular opinion between tps fans.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Max Payne 2 Remake Concept in Unreal Engine 5 Created by Teaserplay

In our new video, we tried to show what the gamers expect from the Max Payne 2 Remake in general in Unreal Engine 5

Max Payne Remake was officially Announced a few months ago. We tried to provide an overview picture of the Gameplay and Possible graphics using Unreal Engine 5 And clear the expectations of the fans from the final version

We used Metahuman to design Max Payne's face and tried to get inspiration from the face of James McCaffrey, the voice actor of Max Payne
It is still not clear what face design the final version will have

it's not a real max payne game.
cant even watch "lords and ladies".

• Film noir (/nwɑːr/; French: [film nwaʁ]) is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and motivations.
doesnt even scratch the surface of the noir tradition/aesthetic.
you work at rockstar?

tylrdiablos

Yeah it was a deviation from what we knew and loved about the Max Payne games, but I still really enjoyed it. A solid 8/10.

Filben

maxresdefault.jpg

one of the coolest small things i loved about Max Payne 3 is when Max has a single handed gun and a long gun, instead of the gun magically attaching to his back he holds it in his off hand... I never seen any other third person shooter do that, its just a small thing but its still always been cool to me
And the sick reload animations! Loading a small firearm while carrying a long rifle he'll lock it in his armpit while reloading the small gun. This level of animations are rarely seen this day. They also managed to give Max a weighted and physical feel in movements with little to no sacrifice to accuracy (looking at you, RDR2).

Last edited:
Top Bottom