• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight: Silksong was announced 5 years ago

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Titanic GIF by Samantha

kubricks

I have not been following the news but I was really looking forward it after completing Hollow Knight years ago.
So what happened? Is it in development hell? How's Team Cherry doing?

Fbh

While I'd obviously have liked for it to be out already, I'm more understanding about a small team of 3 people taking 5+ years to make the follow up to one of my favorite games vs some AAA studios somehow needing 5 years and 300+ million dollars to make some formulaic more of the same sequel with slightly better graphics than the previous game.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I've been waiting forever it seems. I was shocked that Tears of the Kingdom came out first.

While I'd obviously have liked for it to be out already, I'm more understanding about a small team of 3 people taking 5+ years to make the follow up to one of my favorite games vs some AAA studios somehow needing 5 years and 300+ million dollars to make some formulaic more of the same sequel with slightly better graphics than the previous game.

It’s just a three man team still? Crazy, I would’ve thought after the commercial/critical success of Hollow Knight that they would’ve expanded a least a little bit.

I eagerly await it, but I wonder if I’ll have the chops to make it all the way through. I barely scraped through the first game, some sections were just brutal.

Basically they made first game so good that they can't make sequel that will live up or suppress first one.....
This is it I think. I loved the first game and this was announced just after I finished it. I was super excited, that was 5 years ago. Wasn't the game supposed to come out last year after the whole 'all these games are coming out within a year' crap by Xbox?

near

Gold Member
They announced it way too early, literally less than a year after HK was ported to consoles. Haunted Chocolatier will be a longer wait if it's any consolation.

It’s just a three man team still? Crazy, I would’ve thought after the commercial/critical success of Hollow Knight that they would’ve expanded a least a little bit.

I eagerly await it, but I wonder if I’ll have the chops to make it all the way through. I barely scraped through the first game, some sections were just brutal.

The core dev team is definitely more than 3 people, at least 10 aside from contracted voice actors, game testers, translation, marketing etc. Though I doubt they would've expanded by much since then.

Paltheos

Basically they made first game so good that they can't make sequel that will live up or suppress first one.....

Surpass* (suppress lol)

And agreed. Expectations are sky high in my (limited) circles. Any time there's any type of VG announcements, like at TGA, "Where's Silksong?" dominates the discussion. I think it's the #1 most wanted, announced-a-long-time-ago game. The stress to make a worthy sequel must be sky high, especially when you've gone so far as to fundamentally alter the player character's moveset. It's an opportunity for new ideas to flourish, but so much of the old design framework has to be tossed out.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's been so long that I thought I'd missed the release and the game was old news until I realised it still wasn't out.

I'm fine with it, there's plenty to play out there and I'm sure it will be released when it's ready.

Akuji

how do the DLC work in Hollow Knight? I got the base game for years, thought i wait for Silksong to have a complete go at it.
Is that even how it works or is this a kinda seperate thing anyway at the end?

Please someone, try to answer this without any spoilers, i really look forward to the game. Dont know much about it besides its a highly praised game that looks like i would really enjoy playing.

Top Bottom