• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HOLY CRAP! One is f*cking mindblowing

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Betas have been dispatched and let me tell you that this is one of the best if not the best fighting game on a handheld ever. This may sound an easy task since portable fighters are shit, but I tell you, One's gameplay is really fun (if HARD) and graphics are simply ridiculous. I don't know how they did it, but characters even have some short of faked bump mapping (well, it MUST be faked) and stages sport some really detailed lighting.

Screencaps later, I'm going to play more. If there's another journo with the game drop me a PM so we can play a few online matches.

All bow to Digital Legends, our new handheld masters.

sly

Banned
What are we talking about here? Is "One" the name of the game? Is this a N-GAGE game(or DS or PSP)???

Funky Papa said:
Doh, no Arena gaming, only bluetooth.
Does One have that "train a fighter" feature where the game learns from your fighthing style and then you can send your trained fighter to your opponent for "online" fighting? Or was it some other game...

demi

sly said:
What are we talking about here? Is "One" the name of the game? Is this a N-GAGE game(or DS or PSP)???

Neither.

933336b.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Cool! It acuratly describes the number of N-Gauges we sold at work for the year I was there!

aoi tsuki

So the graphics actually look like the two or three pics floating around the web? Pretty surprising, and even more surprising that the game is actually good. i'd definitely like to hear some gameplay impressions.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Juice said:
Guessing it's a Killer-Instinct like pre-rendered sprites trick?

Nope, fully polygonal. The lighting and shadows are something to see, too.

http://ngage.gamespy.com/articles/622/622313p2.html

obody expected this: a fully 3D, polygonal fighting game for N-Gage. Customize your own unique fighter and go on a quest to be the best -- getting ranked based on your progress along the way. There are over 300 motion-captured moves, being played out on 1,500-poly characters. Even the levels have geometry -- something not even seen on PSone fighting games

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Funky Papa said:
One's gameplay is really fun

Really? It was pretty joyless when it was doing the rounds last year, not least because of fitting the Euro stereotype of having great graphics tech and no understanding of mechanic nuance whatsoever, but it'd be nice if they've turned it around.

Chittagong

Gold Member
D2M15 said:
Really? It was pretty joyless when it was doing the rounds last year, not least because of fitting the Euro stereotype of having great graphics tech and no understanding of mechanic nuance whatsoever, but it'd be nice if they've turned it around.

They actually have been polishing it a lot, according to a producer interview from a couple of months back from
http://www.n-gage.com/en-GB/news_events/features/areyoutheone.htm

N-Gage.com: Please tell us how gamers will control these fighters?
Ralph: Well, we have three standard positions that we call offensive, neutral and defensive. Depending in which position you’re in, you will have access to different moves and combos. Players are free to configure the keys to their liking but to give you an idea: there is a key for punches, one for kicks and one for defense.

Also, moving away from your opponent will put you in some kind of defense as well. Then the game features one hand grabs as well as two-handed grabs. You can dodge, block, counterattack etc. We are spending a lot of time to polish the controls to make it as fun as possible on the N-Gage.

N-Gage.com: What was the hardest part about making this game? How are you overcoming these issues?
Ralph: A few things. Balancing the game-play -- we are at this moment still working on it. Getting a look and feel to the game that is more realistic but still fun to look at and fun to play. Also, fitting all of our ideas into a 32 MB MMC! We handled this by compression and more compression.

N-Gage.com: What will ONE gamers talk about after playing?
Ralph: How much fun it is to play against others through Bluetooth. It’s easy to get in but also complex to master. And people love the character customization.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I think I'll get an honourary Rifts for the amount of embarrassingly unprofessional pimping I've done for it. It's going to be more of a Shadowrun than Shadowrun 360! THREE-QUARTER PERSPECTIVE 4 LIFE

Uter

Funky Papa said:
For a N-Gage game? One shits all over the DS catalog so far :lol

*hides*
:lol

ngageone013hh.gif

ngageone029mx.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

I can't wait to see this kirby killer ngage style "detailed lightning". I bet the extra jaggies from the intense ngage processing power give the lightning an extra jaggy lightning look. Think about it man, extra jaggy detailed lightning...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm just fucking around with you, fanboys, but if you think that One has bad lighting you need some thick glasses my friend :)

Gameplay is really good IMHO, the bad part is that N-Gage buttons are downright terrible for any game that requires quick hits. Another thing that I don't like is the music.

Top Bottom