• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest Question: Do you believe Xbox Series could have been competitive this generation without gamepass?

Certinty

I’m not even sure I would have bought one without Gamepass. I adore the Forza Horizon games but a £450 console just for one franchise (and a few other games I would play) wouldn’t be worth it at all.

Stuart360

Literally no one? No but not enough to make any real impact. Has it helped their market share? Would you get rid of your Xbox if gamepass was cancelled?
Well i dont have an Xbox, but yeah i would be gutted if they got rid of PC Gamepass.

I mean look at it another way then. Unless Satya is publicly lying, Xbox has sold very well this year. A year where they have had barely any first party games, and there have also been barely any third party games too, its been a shit year for gaming really. And yet Xbox has been selling well. So why could it be selling well in a year where there isnt much to play?, well i dont think it takes a genius to think that maybe a gaming subscription service, with over 400 games on it, could be a major reason why lol.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Zero release dates for that "stacked" first half of 2023. Phil said during the regulator crap that it's highly unlikely they'd catch up to Sony this gen. I don't remember the exact wording. People are acting like this is the first year xbox didn't have much. They haven't had much 3 of the last 4 years. Didn't even have a launch lineup for crying out loud.
So you're just making stuff up, that's what I thought. I don't think anyone is acting like this is the first weak year for Xbox, everyone knows Xbox's first party was in a very bad place a few years ago, they literally only had 5 studios in 2017. They now have 30+ teams working on games. Games take time to make, it's not hard to do the math.

Last edited:
Microsoft should have used the 360 play book; jettison the previous gen, make ONE powerful as fuck console.

Gamepass or no gamepass, supporting 4 different xbox architectures + PC is inefficient as fuck.

They had a console for BC and it was called the xbox one.

Games take time to make, it's not hard to do the math.
We've all heard this same shitty line since the kinect 1. Games take time and then they never arrive.

2017 had wasteland 3. A spectacular achievement that Microsoft left to die. They've no idea what they're doing.

Seriously W3 was fucking amazing.

So you're just making stuff up, that's what I thought. I don't think anyone is acting like this is the first weak year for Xbox, everyone knows Xbox's first party was in a very bad place a few years ago, they literally only had 5 studios in 2017. They now have 30+ teams working on games. Games take time to make, it's not hard to do the math.
Yea they'll be in a good spot next gen.

Stuart360

We've all heard this same shitty line since the kinect 1. Games take time and then they never arrive.

2017 had wasteland 3. A spectacular achievement that Microsoft left to die. They've no idea what they're doing.

Difference is they have the studios now, unless you think they are just all sat round playing Fortnite or something. Through the XB1 gen they only had 5 main first party studios, so people knew it wasnt going to get much better. Its a completely different situation now, and to be honest, still moaning about the lack of games when you and everyone knows they now have 30 studios making games, well it just looks like console warring to be honest.

johnjohn

Yea they'll be in a good spot next gen.
They'll be in an amazing spot next gen, but they're in a pretty good spot this gen too. They have two successful and well received consoles, a very popular sub service, and an amazing lineup of games set to launch throughout the generation. But yea, I'm sure they'll take all the momentum they're building this gen and come out next gen guns blazing.

johnjohn

Thanks for telling us you can't do math lol.

Difference is they have the studios now, unless you think they are just all sat round playing Fortnite or something. Through the XB1 gen they only had 5 main first party studios, so people knew it wasnt going to get much better. Its a completely different situation now, and to be honest, still moaning about the lack of games when you and everyone knows they now have 30 studios making games, well it just looks like console warring to be honest.
They had studios to pump out good games, they even pumped out some bangers. Where's w3 dlc or more dlc for outwards? Why is outerworlds 2 still 2 years away? Why isn't halo finished?

They can have all the studios In the world. Mis management still ruins them.

I'm a Microsoft fan and have been since day fucking one. I want 360 and og xbox Microsoft. Not this wishy washy flop shit they've got going on. I mean for fuck sakes who supports 4 consoles? If it wasn't for the war chest of Microsoft, xbox would have been the next Sega 5 years ago. And it isn't good that failure isn't a driving force for them

johnjohn

They had studios to pump out good games, they even pumped out some bangers. Where's w3 dlc or more dlc for outwards? Why is outerworlds 2 still 2 years away? Why isn't halo finished?

They can have all the studios In the world. Mis management still ruins them.

I'm a Microsoft fan and have been since day fucking one. I want 360 and og xbox Microsoft. Not this wishy washy flop shit they've got going on. I mean for fuck sakes who supports 4 consoles? If it wasn't for the war chest of Microsoft, xbox would have been the next Sega 5 years ago. And it isn't good that failure isn't a driving force for them
The Outer Worlds came out in 2019 and they have multiple other games coming out before Outer Worlds 2.... You realize people have to actually create these games right? They don't just come out of nowhere. AAA games are taking longer and longer to make and obviously Covid made things a lot worse. We're looking at 4+ years minimum for quality AAA games, and MS only had 5 studios 5 years ago. Again, do the math. Look at God of War for example, it came out April 2018 and we're only now getting a sequel 4+ years later, and that's an iterative sequel, new IPs are a whole different story.

Also I'm not sure how you can call MS wishy washy, they've ever shown this kind of commitment to gaming. The Activision deal pretty much cements their place in and commitment in gaming.

Last edited:
With all the acquisitions? Assuming AB goes through, of course they’d still be competitive.

I prefer the GP push, but you have to wonder what they’d be spending money on if GP didn’t exist. Maybe there’d be some mega third party exclusives .

GametimeUK

Microsoft aren't competitive this generation even with gamepass. It's Sony domination again in the console space and probably will be for generations to come. Maybe Microsoft will be relevant again once their forward thinking on building an eco system pays off, but then again just like Xbox Live, Sony can follow the blueprint and still be more popular in the long run.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I mean, multiplats are available on it, and for all the anotherone.gifs that get posted in here in every comparison thread, you lose literally nothing in 99% of them if you go XB instead of PS. The console’s been more readily available than PS5 so far, too. Unfortunately for MS, PS4 having sold so much and many big games still being made for it as well meant that many people just held on to their PS4s instead of upgrading, waiting for PS5 to become more available.
I’m not convinced that exclusives are really that big in this day and age if you’re not Nintendo, for whom exclusives are literally the only reason their hardware still exists. Always remember, people were trampling each other to get a PS4 when it had… games that you could also play on your PS3. Oh, and Resogun, I guess.

Having had a X360 and a X1X was a big reason I jumped to XSX as soon as I could find one. I skipped PS4 entirely, never regretted it, so getting to keep my games from 2 generations prior was very important. But yeah, if it weren’t for GP, I’d use my XSX way less than I do, and the service was indeed a boon when it came to choosing to upgrade to current gen. If not for GP, I don’t even know if I would have jumped in at this point, nor would I have bought a 4K TV. Saving huge money on games I’d probably never buy otherwise is a great proposition, especially in these times of inflation. For the price of 2 new AAA games a year, I can play dozens of games. If you don’t need God of War or TLOU, paying scalper money for a PS5 to play basically the same games you get on XSX isn’t the brightest idea right now.

You all laughed when Edge magazine put GP in the top 3 games of the year a couple years ago, but they were right. It is the one killer app for XBox right now, in the age where most people mostly play games that can run on a toaster anyway, and killer apps are barely a thing anymore. It’s still not enough for MS to become competitive in markets that are PlayStation country, and probably always will be as long as the brand exists. MS can’t really gain ground where they never really had it and many people know gaming thanks to Sony.

Fredrik

As things are now but without Gamepass? No. They have a slight hardware advantage but where are the games? Softwarewise this gen is a failure for MS. And saying that the games will come later in the generation makes no sense because games will come later in the generation on all platforms.

In a couple years when more exclusive games are out? Still no, PS5 would be too far ahead by then.

Next gen? Hmm, yeah, maybe, or the generation after that one. They’re pulling the right strings long term so the platform should keep on growing.

DragonNCM

NO !!!
Gamepass even made me swap from the PS5 this generation for XBOX.
Only hardware is empty shell.
WP MS.....WP.

Top Bottom