• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West State of Play announced for May 27th

THEAP99

Banned

EazV490WsAktKJw

EazV49tXQAMezN4

Sad One Piece GIF by Funimation

I like the tropical route they're going, reminds me of uncharted 4

Most likely they don't have time in the E3 show to show off 14 minutes of gameplay. That show should be reserved for trailers and teasers, plus sales bragging.
I hope so, except for sales bragging. I don't feel sales bragging should be done around this time. It's better to do this another time with blog posts.

The concern for me is that Playstation decides to not do an event at all after this State of Play. I doubt they would act like this. But it's a possibility.

GuinGuin

Banned
to be honest iam not very hopefull for Horizon FW to deliver a proper PS5 Version.

PS4 Datathroughput is ~30MB/s
PS5 Datathroughput is ~ 9GB/s

Or in more telling Numbers for some of the not so giftet ones in here:
PS5 Datathroughput is ~9000MB/s
PS4 Datathroughput is ~ 30MB/s

9000 : 30= 300

300 fucking times the Datathroughput.

There is no Timeline in wich the PS4 Version does not hold back the PS5 Version. And according to the Many Worlds Theorem there are more alternating Dimensions then there are Atoms in the Universe.
And this Myriad of Universes gives you realy strange ones like one where DonJuanSchlong is a Mod in here or even crazier ones where VFX Veteran actually knows his shit.

But there is not a single one in wich PS4 does not hold back PS5!

Which hardware Kraken and Oodle decompression PS5 is more like 17.3 GB/S

scydrex

I know it will probably be a cross gen but i hope is only for PS5. Don´t want the Jaguar crap CPU and HDD to hold back the PS5. I don´t care if by then i don´t have a PS5 yet but will be another reason to get one. Sony you believe in generation right?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I do not get this move. The date that they chose to show this off is so odd.

Is it possible that Playstation has such a jam packed event around or after E3 that they choose to show this off first? Playstation must know that people expect big drops around E3, regardless of Playstation participating in E3 or not.

If that's not the case, Playstation would for real shoot itself in the foot by not withholding this till around or after E3.
Playstation are masters at being strategic around their competitors announcements. They will have amazing games to show

NahaNago

Well this a weird announcement considering how close E3 is. This gives me some hope that the game will release this year. I do question why they didn't just put this on their E3-ish show. I'm still looking forward to seeing the game coming out even though it is a last gen port since I really did enjoy the first game.

SinDelta

Very smart of Sony to get all this attention now, while E3 may have possible megatons that have been MIA for the past 3+ years at least that could overshadow this (Half-Life 3/Elden Ring/Breath of the Wild 2/Metroid Prime 4/Bayonetta 3 to name a few of many possibilities.) There is also the Dragon Quest 35th anniversary event this week.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes it won't be as good as if it was PS5-only, but here are screenshots I made from my playthrough on Spider-man MM:

PS Studios aren't like any other, their crossgens surpass any other game.
It's still the same exact game. Visuals look identical aside from ray traced reflections and you get more traffic density and crowd but other than that everything is the same.

Marvels-Spider-Man_-Miles-Morales-PS5-vs-PS4-Graphics-Comparison-2-19-screenshot.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Gameplay is identical too.

Here is what I expect from PS5 games. Cross gen or not.

- Destruction. Trees need to cut down. They need to burn down if you are using fire arrows. They need to explode if you are using explosive arrows. Foliage needs to react accordingly. I want to leave a giant mess behind after every fight.
- Flying. Cant stress this enough. If the PS4 version comes out and doesnt have flying. Good. But that doesnt excuse flying not being in the PS5 version. Fast Travel isnt good enough. I cant jerk off to that.
- Way higher quality character models. Character models in Miles look identical. Not good enough.

If Sony delivers another Miles like game then they are no better than Ubisoft who shipped an identical version of Watch Dogs with RT being the only differentiator. And arguably worse than the money hungry whores over at Take2 and EA who added brand new modes, brand new character models, brand new cutscenes and stadium models in NBA and Fifa. THAT is what cross gen should be. Not Miles, RE8 or Watch dogs.

CamHostage

Well this a weird announcement considering how close E3 is. This gives me some hope that the game will release this year. I do question why they didn't just put this on their E3-ish show.

If the game is actually coming out this year, then not really. E3 will probably be mostly about future games in 2022 and beyond, or things we haven't had a chance to see yet. (Also, although E3 will be "digital" this year, probably some of these publisher events will have a few journalist hands-on sessions now that things are opening up, and so something like Horizon FW would have playable previews scheduled since it's that far along.

SinDelta

As someone who loves the Legend of Zelda series, if Nintendo does not improve on the flaws that Breath of the Wilds shift in design entailed (and it did discard a lot of good elements from prior Zelda titles along with the bad) and build on its strengths for BotW 2, I may actually prioritize getting Horizon Forbidden West.

Last edited:

NahaNago

If the game is actually coming out this year, then not really. E3 will probably be mostly about future games in 2022 and beyond, or things we haven't had a chance to see yet. (Also, although E3 will be "digital" this year, probably some of these publisher events will have a few journalist hands-on sessions now that things are opening up, and so something like Horizon FW would have playable previews scheduled since it's that far along.
That's the thing I was really thinking the game was going to come out early next year since Ratchet and Clank was coming out next month. Sony releasing it this year is a good move since it would be competing with Halo. The only thing now is when is starfield going to come out. If it comes out early next year will god of war be duking it out with it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's the thing I was really thinking the game was going to come out early next year since Ratchet and Clank was coming out next month. Sony releasing it this year is a good move since it would be competing with Halo. The only thing now is when is starfield going to come out. If it comes out early next year will god of war be duking it out with it.

Sony is planning to keep the GOTY award for the whole generation. Glad they're reportedly pushing GOW:R for next year instead of competing in this too easy for Sony year where R&C and Horizon FW will compete for the GOTY alone.

SinDelta

Sony is planning to keep the GOTY award for the whole generation. Glad they're reportedly pushing GOW:R for next year instead of competing in this too easy for Sony year where R&C and Horizon FW will compete for the GOTY alone.
Both of those games will likely be great to possible masterpiece but I would not count out Monster Hunter Rise. That game I think is a strong contender for GOTY especially once patch 3 hits. Also Returnal should be in the running I think? I've seen people say Village also, but eh. The year is still ongoing, and a lot of huge announcements and reveals likely have yet to drop.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Both of those games will likely be great to possible masterpiece but I would not count out Monster Hunter Rise. That game I think is a strong contender for GOTY especially once patch 3 hits. Also Returnal should be in the running I think?

Both MHR and Returnal will win respectful genre awards, but doubt they'll be GOTY.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Now you got me wondering what will be Sony's GOTY for 2023.

GuinGuin

Banned
Both of those games will likely be great to possible masterpiece but I would not count out Monster Hunter Rise. That game I think is a strong contender for GOTY especially once patch 3 hits. Also Returnal should be in the running I think? I've seen people say Village also, but eh. The year is still ongoing, and a lot of huge announcements and reveals likely have yet to drop.

In no universe will Monster Hunter get GOTY

SinDelta

In no universe will Monster Hunter get GOTY
Opinions. I personally think Rise is one of the best games I've played this year, but that could change. Horizon Forbidden West could very likely be the game that surpasses it for me (if it is releasing this year. Also comparing apples and oranges, but I'll be happy both games exist regardless of GOTY outcome.)

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Expect this for most games until 2023/4.

The majority of players are still on last gen and a lot of games started development before the new consoles were announced.
Oh I'm aware, as that's par for the course with the start of every new console gen.
However, Horizon 2 is the odd one out as far Sony's 1st party is concerned. I doubt GOW Ragnarok will be crossgen, but I could be wrong.
Last gen Guerrilla started with both feet fully planted into next gen with Killzone Shadowfall. So it's surprising and slightly disappointing for me to see them designing Horizon 2 with nearly decade old hardware in mind.

I really think we're just up in our heads about this. We found out about Spider-Man: Miles Morales having a PS4 version the same day practically within the same hour that Sony showed the first gameplay showcase (3 months after the first PS5 trailer.) You can probably track the flip in comments on YT and elsewhere from "Oh wow, that lighting and density, can't wait for next-gen..." to "Meh, it's just an upscaled PS4 game." Same trailer, different perspectives. People made their own FUD.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the retail PS5 version of Horizon 2 will look absolutely gorgeous and run wonderfully, but PS5 exclusive would've be even more promising. The prospect of Guerilla being unfettered by last gen is more enticing imo. They are a very resourceful and ambitious studio no doubt, but there's only so much the PS4 can do. We're talking about nearly decade old hardware here after all.

Maybe you're right, and they already had most of the foundation laid down before transitioning development over to the PS5.
That revelation certainly tempered my expectations so maybe that's for the better.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Opinions. I personally think Rise is one of the best games I've played this year, but that could change. Horizon Forbidden West could very likely be the game that surpasses it for me (if it is releasing this year. Also comparing apples and oranges, but I'll be happy both games exist regardless of GOTY outcome.)

I think it'll win something. As long as a game wins something in the Game Awards and it's well-received globally that's an easy indication of a quality game. GOT didn't win the the main GOTY but the fan voted GOTY, and it's my 2nd best game of all time after GOW 2018 (TLOU2 comes 3rd).

The most fierce competition was between GOW and RDR2 in 2018.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Last gen Guerrilla started with both feet fully planted into next gen with Killzone Shadowfall. So it's surprising and slightly disappointing for me to see them designing Horizon 2 with nearly decade old hardware in mind.

Timelines were a little different then. They put out KZ2 in 2009, 3 in 2011, and SF in 2013. Probably they were working on 3 while prototyping Shadowfall and building the PS4 engine. (I think Horizon was also in nascent stages somewhere back around that time too.) Now, Decima is a major technology loaned to other studios. So it's a different focus.

maxresdefault.jpg

If they went full-on with Horizon as just a PS5 game, it would have gained some qualities (although like I said, I do believe it would have been less of a big deal in breakthrough next-gen tech than people assume looking at the specs, it's just too early in the gen to make the most of it,) but it would not have been a 2021 game if it had been made on a next-gen Decima instead of an improved version of the current engine. And if the current engine can kick down a PS4 version, so be it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom