• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Mom Defends Herself Against Facebook Haters, gives a non-apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
It's not "why don't you like me", it's "even after three children I'm still exercising." Why would she not be in gym attire showing off her body if her message was to encourage people to exercise?

As was already pointed out, she could have shown herself exercising rather than modeling her hot bod in a display of narcissistic exhibitionism. The message is "I have three kids and I'm still hot" not "I have three kids and I still have time to exercise." I can't believe people are seriously disputing this.

As was already pointed out, she could have shown herself exercising rather than modeling her hot bod in a display of narcissistic exhibitionism. The message is "I have three kids and I'm still hot" not "I have three kids and I still have time to exercise." I can't believe people are seriously disputing this.

Oh.

So you're slut shaming her now.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I think you are underestimating the power of communication through social media. People get arrested for what they post on FB these days, very much like they would get arrested for what they may say or do to people in person (in public)

But she's still only communicating with her followers. She has no reason or need to try to placate people who aren't her fans.

Who's to say the people I approach on the street aren't also interested improving their physical shape/health?

It's still not the same. Like I said before, the only analogy that works is if she were to directly message individuals with that picture. It's the reason Twitter has DMs versus Tweets, etc. They're totally separate.

Also, she knows her followers are interested in fitness. You have no idea if a random person on the street is. You also don't communicate with people in person using image macros and memes and one-liners. You have a conversation. You communicate in a completely different way.

I rarely see "women" wearing those "clothes" at my "gym." Only occasionally. You'd have to be an "idiot" to think that she had no "intention" to show off her body. In fact, the title of this very "thread" is "hot" mom rather than "exercise" mom.

And where I'm at, I see women dressed like that all the time when out on a run.

spock

In regards to why obesity is becoming more of a problem to me it looks like an of multiple systems and their relationship to one another. Individual and family value system as it relates to priorities.

Which is why so many use the cost argument as it relates t eating healthy. Even if it was valid if you valued health over say entertainment or something else you would budget accordingly.

Then we have the time issue, evident in SO many ways. Peoples attention span and expectation in regard to their input and realties output (general sense) is increasing. The immediate feedback loop we want is being built and supplied in multiple life areas and is having an effect on other systems.

Basically factors like they above create a value hierarchy in which peoples lives will flow naturally along the path of least resistance as it aligns with that hierarchy, Over time as more people align with similarly hierarchies and those values become more normal on a social and cultural level you start to see an increase like we are seeing now. Interestingly enough we area also seeing another values hierarchy as it relates to a healthy lifestyle and what happens when these 2 structural value/social/belief systems collide.

In regards to the difficulties in losing weight, healthy lifestyle, etc...Going to share this to give some perspective.

I have and have been dealing with an auto immune condition for quite a few years. I have lesions on many parts of my body, some open and bleeding. I have certain masses/growths as well on parts of my body (back, face, neck, chest, etc.)..Heck I have something the size of a golf ball on my back...

I'm also on prednisone a medication known to make people gain weight...

Yet, I still exercise (try to everyday even if just 15-20m)...I try to eat right, etc. I'm FAR from perfect. Exercising can and does physically hurt. Its pretty common for me to bleed while I work out from certain wounds..Heck right now I have a vascular ulcer the size of a half dollar and half an inch deep on my right leg on top of what I wrote above...

But you know what...I want to do what I can to be healthy as I can be. I want to live. Dealing with my health issues puts the value of health , time and life in a different perspective. I also have 2 kids and want to be here for as long as I can for them.

Given my situation I really don't know how long I have on this planet, but I gotta try to do what I can with I got. For most people that's not the case so they don't feel that real pressure early in life (I'm 35). But man

I don't even know the point I was trying to make, but I guess my story relates to the value thing I wrote above. What matters more? Change and what not can be hard. I've spent years and continue to work on habits, mindset, learning, etc. Its a process. To me life is worth that effort, even when it sucks...

cdyhybrid

People wear that to the gym, I don't see what the big deal is.

Of course her website is a look at me exercise, she's using her fitness to sell her product. Do we get mad at Mercedes-Benz when they show some $200,000 car in a commercial?

Images like these:

with that caption would get the same kind of flak. Your body is still being shown off when you're lifting.

Please see the images in that post. Both images of very fit women working out. Both wearing sports bras and one wearing booty shorts.

Zoe

People workout under layers. It's true.

When you consider a sports bra a layer, yes it's true.

I'm usually one of the least-covered girls at the gym, and I'm still wearing a tank and running shorts (not booty shorts). Not to mention it's nasty having full skin contact with benches and mats that only get cleaned once in a blue moon.

When you consider a sports bra a layer, yes it's true.

I'm usually one of the least-covered girls at the gym, and I'm still wearing a tank and full shorts (not booty shorts). Not to mention it's nasty having full skin contact with benches and mats that only get cleaned once in a blue moon.

I'll give you this, definitely. But it's a problem with both sexes at my gym. Cut guys and gals in little teeny gym clothes sweating all over shit. Yuck.

Dude Abides

Banned
I don't see how you can assert that this is an objective fact. If you're not, I apologize for the misunderstanding. She is wearing typical fitness attire on a fitness focused page. She is not wearing a string bikini or posing in a covered nude fashion, for example.

Again, this is not "typical" gym attire in my 19 years of gym-going. Some women do occasionally wear it, but I only see the booty shorts on rare occasions. One can infer intent from how one chooses to convey one's message, as is done all the time. That's how I can assert it. Why do you think this is characterized as "hot mom" instead of "exercise mom." An unfortunate misunderstanding by everyone but you?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh come on.

In what way is he slut shaming her?

Posing for a photo is narcissistic exhibitionism? This is Facebook we're talking about here. That's the entire point of the site, or of personal interaction on the entire internet if you want to go that far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hate to sound condescending and a lil' douchy myself, but I am going to go ahead and be cheeky and say that this thread has become "Do you even lift brah?" GAF vs Rest of GAF

This is every fit thread. I mean, this is already morphing into FitGAF what with the "what I did in gym today" posts.

Again, this is not "typical" gym attire in my 19 years of gym-going. Some women do occasionally wear it, but I only see the booty shorts on rare occasions. One can infer intent from how one chooses to convey one's message, as is done all the time. That's how I can assert it. Why do you think this is characterized as "hot mom" instead of "exercise mom." An unfortunate misunderstanding by everyone but you?

While I wouldn't necessarily say her clothes are "typical" they are also not uncommon. I live in a warm weather city and see women dressed like that out running all the time.

This is every fit thread. I mean, this is already morphing into FitGAF what with the "what I did in gym today" posts.

There's not much you can say when people blurt out that getting in shape requires unrealistic commitment like hours a day and thousands of dollars.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I personally see nothing wrong with the picture. That's not even close to being skimpy, slutty, or whatever word people are throwing around.

Luckily, this is incorrect. IQs have risen significantly, and college attainment has marginally increased over time. Workers are more productive and yet work similar hours, on average, compared to the 1980s.

This is a relative comparison. In absolute terms, Americans have increased their academic achievements. Using your logic, I could say that Americans haven't grown 2.5-3'' over the last 100 years because Nordic countries have grown 4-5''.

Luckily it doesn't appear to, so it does indeed help my case.

Greater productivity with the same hours is another way to say "increased stress." Chronic psychosocial stress is a huge contributor to increased body fat via chronic cortisol, which breaks down muscle tissue and predisposes the body to store abdominal fat.

Not disagreeing, just adding another environmental stimulus with massive epigenetic effects (even transgenerational ones).

MIMIC

Banned
I'm learning more and more than sometimes....people just HATE people who are fit and in shape, no matter how they are portraying themselves.

My friends don't do it in anger or with contempt, but they always bring up the fact that I can eat whatever I want without gaining any weight. ALL THE TIME. "You can eat all that, and I have to watch what I eat. I hate you." Before class, I am usually eating something from McDonald's/Burger King and they're eating some disgusting, tasteless health food. So this subconsciously stopped me from eating fast food in front of them on certain days.
I've been fit-shamed! lol

I'm not flaunting my fitness (or showing off) in front of them, but they make it seem like I am. I'm definitely not trying to offend them. And that's the impression that I'm getting from the picture in the OP.

Scrabble

Because the two are synonymous with each other? Also why can't she both "want to encourage and motivate people to exercise" AND "be happy and proud of her success and wish to show it to the world"? There's nothing wrong here. Only if you see her body as an attack on yourself, than would you feel insecure and be angry. If you're insecure, than fix the shit your insecure with. You can't place your insecurities away from yourself in order to blame other people who aren't doing anything harmful. Take responsibility for yourself instead of focusing hate on someone else who isn't in any way doing anything bad.

Also quit fucking judging people on what they decide to wear when working out, jesus people like you are the worst. Just be you and let her be her, quit trying to bring someone down on account "well gee I just don't like what she's wearing" and move on with your life and not give a shit.

cdyhybrid

Again, this is not "typical" gym attire in my 19 years of gym-going. Some women do occasionally wear it, but I only see the booty shorts on rare occasions.

I see it all the time at my gym. Anecdotal both ways, so let's try something else.

oB1sNn1.jpg

As you can see (I even circled them for you) these are not some outlandish outfits that are limited to a select few underground workout dungeons. Feel free to go browse Amazon (Women's Clothing > Active) and you'll see the same thing.

One can infer intent from how one chooses to convey one's message, as is done all the time. That's how I can assert it. Why do you think this is characterized as "hot mom" instead of "exercise mom." An unfortunate misunderstanding by everyone but you?

1) She's characterized as a hot mom because she has kids and is attractive. Neither of those changes if she is in the middle of doing squats or is wearing 3 layers of clothing.

2) Again, just because you see it that way does not make it the truth. If you see it that way, fine. Just don't presume that everyone else does (or should) see it that way.

grumble

What?!

Well yeah, she's showing off how fit she is, which is the result of consistent exercise, which she manages to do despite having three kids, no nanny and a busy job.

Showing her exercising one time isn't as valuable as showing the result of exercising lots of times.

Narcissistic exhibitionism is ridiculous hyperbole. She's worked hard for a good body, and is showing it off as something that is achievable. I find it motivational.

Dude Abides

Banned
I see it all the time at my gym. Anecdotal both ways, so let's try something else.

As you can see (I even circled them for you) these are not some outlandish outfits that are limited to a select few underground workout dungeons. Feel free to go browse Amazon (Women's Clothing > Active) and you'll see the same thing.

1) She's characterized as a hot mom because she has kids and is attractive. Neither of those changes if she is in the middle of doing squats or is wearing 3 layers of clothing.

2) Again, just because you see it that way does not make it the truth. If you see it that way, fine. Just don't presume that everyone else does (or should) see it that way.

Where are the booty shorts on that page? I doubt if she was wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants anyone would have called her "hot mom."

Because the two are synonymous with each other? Also why can't she both "want to encourage and motivate people to exercise" AND "be happy and proud of her success and wish to show it to the world"? There's nothing wrong here. Only if you see her body as an attack on yourself, than would you feel insecure and be angry. If you're insecure, than fix the shit your insecure with. You can't place your insecurities away from yourself in order to blame other people who aren't doing anything harmful. Take responsibility for yourself instead of focusing hate on someone else who isn't in any way doing anything bad.

Also quit fucking judging people on what they decide to wear when working out, jesus people like you are the worst. Just be you and let her be her, quit trying to bring someone down on account "well gee I just don't like what she's wearing" and move on with your life and not give a shit.

No, they are not synonymous.

Also, take a breath and try to read for comprehension instead of outrage, Mr. Angry. The only dispute here as far as I'm concerned is whether that picture conveys "What's your excuse [for not looking like me]?" or "What's your excuse [for not exercising]?" My argument is the choice of clothing for that particular picture - not for working out, that's kind of the point - suggests the latter more than the former.

There are obviously several ways to view this image. Overall, it seems a bit like an insult to those who don't exercise, but I think that is perfectly fine.
See it as a slap in the face to people out of shape, or see it as an optimistic picture that anybody can get fit and feel better about themselves through hard work. It's up to the viewer.

27 pages of arguments over this picture is pretty great.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There are obviously several ways to view this image. Overall, it seems a bit like an insult to those who don't exercise, but I think that is perfectly fine.

See it as a slap in the face to people out of shape, or see it as an optimistic picture that anybody can get fit and feel better about themselves through hard work. It's up to the viewer.

No, it isn't fine. I mean, yeah, if she was just trying to incite debate and discussion then the picture is great. But this isn't contemporary art or political satire. Obesity is a real problem that requires a solution and the only thing this picture accomplishes is further polarizing the two sides when we need integration and understanding.

No, it isn't fine. I mean, yeah, if she was just trying to incite debate and discussion then the picture is great. But this isn't contemporary art or political satire. Obesity is a real problem that requires a solution and the only thing this picture accomplishes is further polarizing the two sides when we need integration and understanding.

You should copy and paste this on her facebook "fan" page so I could go there and hit the "Like" button on it.

All jokes aside, great post!

Madrin

You're right, exercise and eating a healthy diet is enough for the vast majority of people. But as has been pointed out in this thread, all that takes is putting in the effort to exercise and doing some basic research into nutrition. Unless someone has evidence otherwise, I've never heard of a genetic predisposition (aside from birth defects that result in physical disability) that prevents people from performing those tasks.

It would obviously be more difficult to get in good shape AND NOT TO EXERCISE AND EAT A DECENT DIET if you are predisposed to gain weight, but as Opiate himself said, some things are harder for certain people. Does that mean it's not worth trying?

Exactly. Obesity may be more complicated than just eating excess calories, but it still comes down to food choices and physical activity. There is an issue of willpower because obese people are choosing crap food over nutritious food, though it's understandable that financial and geographic factors make access to nutritious food more difficult for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom