• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Mom Defends Herself Against Facebook Haters, gives a non-apology

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think people who use that meme feel that excuses are legitimate reasons to not do what they're doing?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Are we considering this pic a meme now just because it went viral? Or do you mean the phrase "What's your excuse?" is a meme?

Let me answer it this way:

I don't think she's passing any judgement on someone's excuses. As I said before, I think she's encouraging reflection on the excuses. Asking yourself if they're legitimate or not and seeing if there are ways around them if you truly want to get in better shape.

I was trying to prove what her words meant, not necessarily what she intended to imply (although in typical real world scenarios the two are linked).

The question isn't really whether this woman is a bad terrible mean person. The question is whether the words that came out of her mouth are appropriate, kind, and effectively motivational, because that's something we can objectively measure.

None of those things is objective. Everyone is going to feel differently about them.

You are absolutely at the mercy of exogenous forces when it comes to exercising. Or do you think everyone just decided to be fat all of a sudden starting in 1980? Clearly non-voluntary influences are at work, even if we can't necessarily agree on what those influences are.

Regardless, 30 minutes of exercise and conscientious eating is significantly easier to "do" compared to getting a job.

That's not the same at all. That would be like her getting a directory of fat people on Facebook and then privately messaging all of them.

Wow! you guys just love moving that goal post in this thread, don't you? So who is she actually targeting with that message, fit people? people as fit as her?

And how would what I say in public to fit people make any sense? Of course I need to target fat or overweight people.

Those are called "gym clothes". People "workout" in them when they go to the "gym".

Your mileage will obviously vary, but though I'm only an intermittent regular at gyms (i.e. I'll go 3-4 times a week for months and then not set foot in one for months), I've seen very, very few people that wear such attire at the gym. I've seen it. It does happen. But I wouldn't call that standard gym attire.

So what? No instant gratification, so screw it?

Um, no. That wasn't the point. What I'm saying is that "all it takes is $20 a month for a gym membership" to argue why fitness is easier than getting a good job seems to oversimplify the process of getting in shape in my book. Many people argue that they started from the bottom at their place of employment and climbed the ladder. "All you have to do is work hard" is their observation.

Opiate

Regardless, 30 minutes of exercise and conscientious eating is significantly easier to "do" compared to getting a job.

For you maybe. Evidently not for some other people, as there are a lot of otherwise very successful people who are obese. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand.

Zoe

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Are we considering this pic a meme now just because it went viral? Or do you mean the phrase "What's your excuse?" is a meme?

Let me answer it this way:

I don't think she's passing any judgement on someone's excuses. As I said before, I think she's encouraging reflection on the excuses. Asking yourself if they're legitimate or not and seeing if there are ways around them if you truly want to get in better shape.

Several people in the thread earlier tried to justify her use of the phrase by posting the meme with the same phrase on photos displaying disabled or elderly people doing extraordinary physical tasks.

It's not something that she thought up on her own.

cdyhybrid

You are absolutely at the mercy of exogenous forces when it comes to exercising. Or do you think everyone just decided to be fat all of a sudden starting in 1980? Clearly non-voluntary influences are at work, even if we can't necessarily agree on what those influences are.

Care to elaborate? The only one that comes to mind for me is being physically disabled. Did swaths of the population suddenly develop a deadly allergic reaction to the outdoors in 1980?

You said yourself that work hours have remained steady, so it can't be that.

andycapps

I read something not too long ago that fat women as sex workers were a desirable thing since certain types of penetrative sex are illegal but porking fat rolls is not.

I know you're kidding, but nothing would really surprise me about Japan. If someone's into it, I'm sure there's someone there to fulfill that desire.

velociraptor

Reminds me of Masako Mizutani and her skin care and Jung Da Yeon workout routine. Supposedly both of them are in their 40's.

Masako
Fsq6w8M.jpg
Damn. What is her secret?

Care to elaborate? The only one that comes to mind for me is being physically disabled. Did swaths of the population suddenly develop a deadly allergic reaction to the outdoors in 1980?

You said yourself that work hours have remained steady, so it can't be that.

It's that dirty Nintendo Entertainment System that got it all started. Why go outside when I can live a fantasy just by playing a game?

If I chose to forego my hobbies and social life and spend two hours a day at the gym (at a cost of $120/month here in NYC) after a ten-hour workday, I'd start to approach Kang's sort of shape. I'd also be bored stiff. On the other hand, it'd be a lot easier for me to fit this into my life than it would be for somebody who also had children to care for (and no way to afford a nanny).

Kang has built her life around fitness for years. It's not as if she started from zero after having children. The playing field is not level, and not everybody can change their lifestyle to maintain a perfect body, even disregarding metabolic considerations.

Luckily, we as humans can have some extra weight and also maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.

Opiate

I have elaborated at length with nearly a dozen separate scientific studies, links provided, in this very thread. Others have offered potential cultural influences that might create wide spread behavioral changes. Just above on this very page, Mumei linked another study which suggests different plausible mechanisms.

At this point, I'd rather not go through the entire discovery process again, for the third time. If you have significant evidence that obesity is not caused significantly or primarily by genetic and epigenetic factors along with environmental stimuli, I'm all ears. For example, do you have a study that suggests the FTO allele has less influence on obesity incidence than previously believed? What epigenetic factors do you feel are trivial which other scientists do not? What objections do you raise to mumei's linked paper? Do you have evidence that obesity does not have near permanent affects on metabolic processes, as is currently believed?

Any studies on these topics would be greatly appreciated. So far, no one who posted about this previously in the topic was able to produce much in the way of evidence. I have already provided plenty.

If I chose to forego my hobbies and social life and spend two hours a day at the gym (at a cost of $120/month here in NYC) after a ten-hour workday, I'd start to approach Kang's sort of shape. I'd also be bored stiff. On the other hand, it'd be a lot easier for me to fit this into my life than it would be for somebody who also had children to care for (and no way to afford a nanny).

Kang has built her life around fitness for years. It's not as if she started from zero after having children. The playing field is not level, and not everybody can change their lifestyle to maintain a perfect body, even disregarding metabolic considerations.

Luckily, we as humans can have some extra weight and also maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.

Is that NYSC pricing? Shit, you could join BSC and get a global membership for cheaper, I'd guess.

4-5 hours a week at the gym and you can have a similar body.

I rarely see "women" wearing those "clothes" at my "gym." Only occasionally. You'd have to be an "idiot" to think that she had no "intention" to show off her body. In fact, the title of this very "thread" is "hot" mom rather than "exercise" mom.

I see women wear clothes like that at the gym all the time.

Guys wear equally revealing stuff.

For you maybe. Evidently not for some other people, as there are a lot of otherwise very successful people who are obese. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand.

Because success at work and effort aren't mutually exclusive.

I know you're kidding, but nothing would really surprise me about Japan. If someone's into it, I'm sure there's someone there to fulfill that desire.

No, that's definitely a thing. I'd try to find the article if I were not at work.

If I chose to forego my hobbies and social life

Thirty minutes a day.

You live in NYC? I work there often. I'm dodging joggers and people on the city bikes all the time. When I work there I get a hotel in Chinatown so I can walk the mile down to the Financial District each morning.

NYC is awesome for getting some exercise.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! you guys just love moving that goal post in this thread, don't you? So who is she actually targeting with that message, fit people? people as fit as her?

And how would what I say in public to fit people make any sense? Of course I need to target fat or overweight people.

Her "Fans" (or whatever they call people who "Like" a FB page) are her audience. That's pretty non-arguable, that's the entire purpose of a FB page. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say most of her Fans are people who want to get in better shape, be that losing weight, gaining weight, getting stronger, more endurance ,etc.

If you're overweight and aren't interested in that, you aren't her target and probably shouldn't be a "Fan" of hers on FB, right? And if the image crosses your path via another avenue that's not really her fault.

I still don't understand how you equate posting an image on her Timeline with directly accosting people on an individual basis.

You're simply wrong, particularly about effectiveness. We absolutely can measure that in very precise ways on very large scales.

I think the message is appropriate and not unkind, and I find it motivational. You disagree. You're saying that one of us is objectively wrong. Are you seriously arguing that the appropriateness of an image/message/whatever is not entirely subjective?

Effectiveness can be measured, but where do you draw the line? Is the message effective if it works for 50% of people? 60%? 95%? You have to qualify it.

Several people in the thread earlier tried to justify her use of the phrase by posting the meme with the same phrase on photos displaying disabled or elderly people doing extraordinary physical tasks.

It's not something that she thought up on her own.

K. I think the point I posted after my question about the meme status still stands.

cdyhybrid

I have elaborated at length with nearly a dozen separate scientific studies, links provided, in this very thread. Others have offered potential cultural influences that might create wide spread behavioral changes. Just above on this very page, Mumei linked another study which suggests different plausible mechanisms.

At this point, I'd rather not go through the entire discovery process again, for the third time. If you have significant evidence that obesity is not caused significantly or primarily by genetic and epigenetic factors along with environmental stimuli, I'm all ears. For example, do you have a study that suggests the FTO allele has less influence on obesity incidence than previously believed? What epigenetic factors do you feel are trivial which other scientists do not? What objections do you raise to mumei's linked paper? Do you have evidence that obesity does not have near permanent affects on metabolic processes, as is currently believed?

Any studies on these topics would be greatly appreciated. So far, no one who posted about this previously in the topic was able to produce much in the way of evidence. I have already provided plenty.

Predisposal to gaining weight is not predisposal to not exercising.

RM8

I'd say you need to be into fitness in order to like the Facebook page of a fitness celebrity.

Just thinking out loud here, I wonder if fat-shaming is a thing in Japan. Thought of that because of the Vice documentary posted the other day and about how they're all very focused on their careers, and seemingly not interested in relationships.
It absolutely is, I've seen it in person. On TV they also mock obesity in a way that wouldn't be okay here in Mexico.

4-5 hours a week at the gym and you can have a similar body.

It should also be noted that you should not expect the results you want (as in, Kang's results) in a short period of time. What you can expect is, after around a month or so of some decent cardio and strength training are some results.

Let those results motivate you to continue your work. Months turn into years, and after a few years you'll be knocking socks off.

Scrabble

I rarely see "women" wearing those "clothes" at my "gym." Only occasionally. You'd have to be an "idiot" to think that she had no "intention" to show off her body. In fact, the title of this very "thread" is "hot" mom rather than "exercise" mom.

Well I don't know what kind of gyms you're going to, but her clothes are pretty standard attire. Also her message sort of hinges on the fact that she has to show her body, what good is her message if no one is able to see her body? I just don't understand why people give a shit that she shows off and is proud of her body. And yea it's ego boosting, but who cares? We all have ego's whether we realize it or not. I don't see anything wrong with somebody flaunting something they are happy and passionate about. Hopefully it encourages more people to want to get in shape and to express their success as well.

If people take responsibility and control of their situation they can achieve her success as well. So yea, quit the bullshit and excuses. And if you're someone who doesn't care, than your obviously not the targeted demographic. It's only people on the fence who know they have a problem that I could see being outraged over this picture. So instead of looking towards someone else to put blame on, how about doing a little self evaluation and aim to fix whatever it is in your life that needs fixing. It's a strong and healthy message that can benefit everyone, only if you let your insecurity get in the way will it cloud your judgement and impede similar success.

Let those results motivate you to continue your work. Months turn into years, and after a few years you'll be knocking socks off.

30 minutes a day, five days a week, with reasonable meals. I dropped 100 pounds in something like six months.

My social life didn't suffer. My hobbies didn't suffer. My work didn't suffer.

PogiJones

Banned

I honestly think that one of the forces at work here is the widespread societal proliferation of "There are other forces at work here."

I understand that positive reinforcement is important, and more effective than negative reinforcement on its own. But I believe the MOST effective method of shaping behavior is a healthy mixture of both positive and negative reinforcement. Unfortunately, studies on behavioral response to types of reinforcement are not conducted over the course of decades to see how they affect the culture in the totality.

As you pointed out, people didn't decide to get fat. They're not lazier. They're not working longer hours. Then why is society steadily getting fatter? Probably because it's not as bad as it used to be to be overweight. People are a lot nicer to other people. They're more empathetic. And that's good! But it can be taken too far.

How did we get cigarette smoking to go down drastically? 1. We taxed cigs, and 2. We stigmatized the ever-living crap out of smoking.

How did we get racism to drop? We stigmatized the ever-living crap out of it.

Yes, we need positive reinforcement, but when we get people coming in here at the most innocuous negative fitness comment in the world, saying, "We need more positivity," then we're just writing a recipe for more obesity, I think. Yes, the studies will show short term that the positive reinforcement is more effective. But some people need the negative reinforcement in the short term, and I'm convinced that in the long-term, society needs negative reinforcement and stigmas to sculpt behavior to its most optimal level.

Frick, it feels so nice when people don't make us feel bad with negativity. But what feels even better is a healthy body. And I really think our nice never-say-anything-that-might-offend-someone culture is basically eating a societal cheeseburger--It seems good and tasty and right to do at the moment, but it's going straight to our hips, and we're gonna pay for it. We already are.

It should also be noted that you should not expect the results you want (as in, Kang's results) in a short period of time. What you can expect is, after around a month or so of some decent cardio and strength training are some results.

30 minutes a day, five days a week, with reasonable meals. I dropped 100 pounds in something like six months.

My social life didn't suffer. My hobbies didn't suffer. My work didn't suffer.

:)

Well said.

Opiate

Predisposal to gaining weight is not predisposal to not exercising.

Thanks, that's covered in the study about long term changes to metabolic processes.

I asked for evidence, please. If you need mine, I provided 10 (I just checked) studies myself, and mumei linked another.

The emerging scientific consensus is that a significant portion of obesity incidence is caused by genetic and epigenetic factors. Of the remaining portion, a significant part of that appears to be a consequence of environmental stimuli (that even affect other animals outside of humans!)

If you have scientific literature which refutes this position, again, I'm happy to read it. Simple catechisms are not sufficient.

Dude Abides

Banned
Well I don't know what kind of gyms you're going to, but her clothes are pretty standard attire.

The New York sports club on 73 and Columbus, primarily. And they aren't. Some women will wear that, but a t-shirt and shorts or perhaps yoga pants. I haven't seen booty shorts there that I can remember.

Also her message sort of hinges on the fact that she has to show her body, what good is her message if no one is able to see her body?

Correct. "What's your excuse for not looking like me?" doesn't work if she doesn't show off her body. Maybe you could try explaining this to cdyhybrid and zuhzuhzombie, they seem to be having difficulty grasping it when I attempt.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sounds like every other skill that requires commitment and self motivation, like, oh, I dunno, writing, drawing, music, programming, mathematics, etc etc.

Are those as "easy" as working out?

And please don't counter with "some people are born with head for maths" or "those things require talent", this is just going back to genetic predisposition which a lot of people in this thread don't believe in and think every body can be reduced to: Net calorie gain = more weight, net calorie loss = less weight

(Not aimed at you specifically but rather making a broad point.)

RM8

So if I understand correctly, are our genes changing in the span of a couple of generations, to make us fat? In some countries?

:)

Well said.

I've been lazy this past year and put about 15 on. :(

Working back into the habit, though. Starting like I did last year. Climbing a dozen flights of stairs a few times a day, taking a break to walk around the outlet malls around my office building (which is a privilege of my type of work, granted). I need to buy a new treadmill as hitting the streets has killed my knees (Im old :( )

Maybe you could try explaining this to cdyhybrid and zuhzuhzombie, they seem to be having difficulty grasping it when I attempt.

What the fuck are you on? I have no problem with her showing off her body. All I said is that her attire is typical gym attire.

cdyhybrid

Exercise is not enough.

You're right, exercise and eating a healthy diet is enough for the vast majority of people. But as has been pointed out in this thread, all that takes is putting in the effort to exercise and doing some basic research into nutrition. Unless someone has evidence otherwise, I've never heard of a genetic predisposition (aside from birth defects that result in physical disability) that prevents people from performing those tasks.

It would obviously be more difficult to get in good shape AND NOT TO EXERCISE AND EAT A DECENT DIET if you are predisposed to gain weight, but as Opiate himself said, some things are harder for certain people. Does that mean it's not worth trying?

Scrabble

Your can spend 20-30 mins at home and achieve a similar body through good diet. Saying you need to spend 2+ hours a day and spend 1000's of dollars a year to get fit is just absurd. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in and I do everything at home.

Here's a workout people can do themselves all without ever leaving their house

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml

I've been lazy this past year and put about 15 on. :(

Working back into the habit, though. Starting like I did last year. Climbing a dozen flights of stairs a few times a day, taking a break to walk around the outlet malls around my office building (which is a privilege of my type of work, granted). I need to buy a new treadmill as hitting the streets has killed my knees (Im old :( )

Look into an elliptical machine. Easier on the joints.

PogiJones

Banned
Someone just compared racism to being overweight. This thread has it all.

No, I didn't. I used it as an example of the efficacy of societal stigma in changing behavior. But hey, if you want to pretend I did so you can dismiss my point and the rest of what I wrote, go for it, man.

Dude Abides

Banned
What the fuck are you on? I have no problem with her showing off her body. All I said is that her attire is typical gym attire.

But it isn't in fact typical, and she wore it explicitly to show off her body, to convey the message "what's your excuse for not looking like me." Cdyhybrid was arguing that she wasn't. That was the conversation you butted your way into with your cute quotes and wiki links.

I'm also curious as to someone whose exercise routine apparently centers around walking around outlet malls and climbing stairs claims expertise in what gym attire is typical.

Fusebox

Banned
Funnily enough, if her photo said "Fat bitches step off you jelly I'm hot" nobody would be talking about it because dumb shit is everywhere but because of some perceived ambiguity in her messaging we're getting a mega thread.

Look into an elliptical machine. Easier on the joints.

I was using the gym here at my apartment complex but assholes have literally broken everything in there. My landlord/agency are a bunch of cons. Plan on buying a house soon so I'll get a machine then.

But it isn't in fact typical, and she wore it explicitly to show off her body, to convey the message "what's your excuse for not looking like me." Cdyhybrid was arguing that she wasn't. That was the conversation you butted your way into with your cute quotes and wiki links.

Because it is typical gym ware. You think she had that shit tailored for her personally or something?

It's a thing. Get over it.

Scrabble

The New York sports club on 73 and Columbus, primarily. And they aren't. Some women will wear that, but a t-shirt and shorts or perhaps yoga pants. I haven't seen booty shorts there that I can remember.

Correct. "What's your excuse for not looking like me?" doesn't work if she doesn't show off her body. Maybe you could try explaining this to cdyhybrid and zuhzuhzombie, they seem to be having difficulty grasping it when I attempt.

It's not "why don't you like me", it's "even after three children I'm still exercising." Why would she not be in gym attire showing off her body if her message was to encourage people to exercise?

I still don't understand how you equate posting an image on her Timeline with directly accosting people on an individual basis.

I think you are underestimating the power of communication through social media. People get arrested for what they post on FB these days, very much like they would get arrested for what they may say or do to people in person (in public)

I'd say you need to be into fitness in order to like the Facebook page of a fitness celebrity.
She's targeting people who want to get in shape, but aren't, haven't put in the effort, etc.

Who's to say the people I approach on the street aren't also interested improving their physical shape/health?

what about underweight people?

Sure, I guess... But they may be a little more confused, since I don't exactly sport the body of a fitness guru.

cdyhybrid

I don't see how you can assert that this is an objective fact. If you're not, I apologize for the misunderstanding. She is wearing typical fitness attire on a fitness focused page. She is not wearing a string bikini or posing in a covered nude fashion, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom