• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How BioWare's Anthem Went Wrong [article by J. Schreier, Kotaku]

anthraticus

Banned
To really put it into perspective, all Bioware has really been known for is copy and pasting Dungeons and Dragons rules into game form. They have rarely done any significant design work from the ground up that creates vast game systems entirely on their own. They were good at writing dialogue, compared to many early game creators who never put an emphasis on it. And then they made a TPS with a story in Mass Effect. That's all they've really done.

And the whole time, they rode the wave of unfair press praise western RPGs got in 2007 when journalists tried WRPGs for the first time and pumped them up while putting down Japanese developers. But 12 years later, they are a joke and they're done. They never were very good, similar to Bethesda. Bethesda was just the first to make open world, and now everyone caught up and they look like a joke too.

Shows everyone how inflated these companies were in the 360 era by journalists.
The interesting thing about Baldur's Gate, but especially 2 is how critical reaction and fan reaction completely went apeshit for the storyline, writing, and other "emotional engagements" while ignoring a lot of the more "gamey" aspects, which is where the game actually shined. It's like people played the games, enjoyed the fun interpretation of D&D, crawled around in some cool dungeons, fought some well-crafted encounters, and then when going to express their opinions they gushed praise for plot, setting, and characters which weren't bad at times but cringe-worthy a little too often also. And that, the Bioware head honchos took this to heart, catering to these people. Neverwinter Nights didn't have time to design anything better than one of the shittiest campaigns ever and I even recall a lot of praise being given for this. Then with KOTOR, Bioware fully embraced their Westernized dating sim and started headlong down the road to slutty witches, ass pirates and gay guido buttfucking. The "public" got exactly what they clamored for, and everyone else got shafted.

nowhat

Then with KOTOR, Bioware fully embraced their Westernized dating sim and started headlong down the road to slutty witches, ass pirates and gay guido buttfucking.
Is there a weekly edgelord award? I think you're in for a nomination at least.

Silent Duck

So, lack of vision, mismanagement, shitty engine? Sounds about right.

being force to work in engine no one likes outside of Dice.

In all seriousness I've been high pressure projects that have strict deadlines and fucking useless management, it's soul destroying.
2xw6hi.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
If I know the company I work was brought by EA I should have a mental colapse too.

EA best skill is kill studios.

BTW Frostbite looks like a failed engine from one of the most code mess developer in the market since the first game using it... no news here.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Your statement is begging the question.
Don't really get the phrase (English not my native tongue) but i think you disagree?
The other poster claimed andromeda has worse animations and faces than a 2007 game. I said you can prove/verify this by looking at the game in question

Is that not enough or things such as animations and character designs subjective now?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Don't really get the phrase (English not my native tongue) but i think you disagree?
The other poster claimed andromeda has worse animations and faces than a 2007 game. I said you can prove/verify this by looking at the game in question

Is that not enough or things such as animations and character designs subjective now?
It means circular reasoning. The user I responded to said the drop in quality was due to diversity hiring. My point is that there is no evidence to strongly link those two things.

ethomaz

Banned
I work in the software development for over 15 years and I never found it stressful even when I had to work in some customers 24 hours in a row (after I even got to drink some beer before go bed to sleep pretty well)... yesterday I was in the Barra Funda bus station when some customer had an issue with the software that took me 2 hours to resolve it... I was traveling in the bus already... contrary to others I like that and I’m open to help all the time... it is really a happy life even with the variable work hours.

I would love to be game developers and I even studied a bit but the industry is non-existent here.

I think I’m well paid too... over 120k in my local currency... of course removing the tax it is near 100k but I don’t think I’m bad paid... it is my second job (the first was 15 years at IBM) and the salary is comparable to what I had in IBM when I left so I’m fine with it.

I like puzzle so when I have something really difficult in software development I forgot hours and eat while I did not find a solution... love that because when I do a great solution it is like everything paid off... it is like an achievement being realized.

What work the coworkers says that when more pressure more fast and concentrate I become and it is when I really create the best solutions.

So I like the pressure but I know others that can’t work over pressure that needs more talk to make them calm to do the job.

After all people are different and every job can be stressful depending how you do it.

Love my work and I should love to be a gaming developer.

Last edited:
To really put it into perspective, all Bioware has really been known for is copy and pasting Dungeons and Dragons rules into game form. They have rarely done any significant design work from the ground up that creates vast game systems entirely on their own. They were good at writing dialogue, compared to many early game creators who never put an emphasis on it. And then they made a TPS with a story in Mass Effect. That's all they've really done.

And the whole time, they rode the wave of unfair press praise western RPGs got in 2007 when journalists tried WRPGs for the first time and pumped them up while putting down Japanese developers. But 12 years later, they are a joke and they're done. They never were very good, similar to Bethesda. Bethesda was just the first to make open world, and now everyone caught up and they look like a joke too.

Shows everyone how inflated these companies were in the 360 era by journalists.
I heavily disagree with this. Most of the talent left the studio that made those games great and for Bethesda. Yea I do agree many other companies are knocking it out of the park with open world design but I have never been more engaged in exploring an open world like a Bethesda game.

SonGoku

It means circular reasoning. The user I responded to said the drop in quality was due to diversity hiring. My point is that there is no evidence to strongly link those two things.
Oh i thought you were challenging his assertion that Andromeda tech was worse than a 2007 game
I think its a fair to argue that the studio hemorrhaged talent at least

Catphish

Sorry to hear that, man. I notice that you will react negatively to some of the harsher posts, even if they are in the minority. It's understandable, that is human nature. Even if we get praised quite a bit what we remember are the criticisms. Just know that there are a lot of people here that consider themselves fans of your work, and from all of the responses since your post, a fan on John the person as well.

But you've got to get out of your current mindset, anyway that you can. For some that might be reaching out to friends and family for emotional support, for others it might be a kick in the butt from someone like David Goggins, but something has to change. Focus on the good things in your life that you can be grateful for, which I am guessing some of that involves a beautiful wife and child. And I've seen some of your videos and you are a good looking dude (no homo - sorry, that is just a corny joke, one that I can say I am comfortable making here)...I don't think someone with a PhD in Chemical Engineering is going to settle for some slouch. What I'm trying to say, badly I might add, is to ignore the haters...these people who spew crap to bring others down and troll on Youtube comments are the same ones who criticize women for 'sharp knees'.

Anyways, maybe even with how good you are at your job you still need to step back and re-evaluate your life to see if that is what you should be doing, especially if it is affecting time with your family. Family needs to come first man. Focus on the good things in life and how to change the areas that you don't like.

I'm trying to lose weight. That is one of my problem areas. I hate running. But now I am trying to embrace it. The great thing about this site is that we have a lot of people that can relate with what we are going through, like a disfunctional family that cares for each other. What has helped me is this post in the Weight Loss thread. More specifically this video:

Today, I started my morning with a 3 mile run...clocked in around 37 minutes. I've got a long way to go (would love to get under 30 minutes) but it is a journey I am willing to take.

You're got to find something or someone to help you make that change. I don't know what that is but you have a lot of people here rooting and praying for you so if there is anything we can do to help please reach out, but whatever you do don't keep doing the same thing expecting something different to happen.

I very much like this post, and echo the sentiment. 👍

LOL,nothing will change,that is just BS,so many meetings I had at my workplace,nothing different happened,yeah sure you have that good feeling in the moment that maybe something will be different,but then you realize its just BS,people with money want to make more money and that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

This post reads like, "I'm so full of myself, and I'll throw rubbish at the wall hoping something is going to stick".

"Some are optimistic, some are skeptical". No shit Sherlock. These wannabe insiders and their non-answers man. "I'll throw all kinds of choices left and right that I'm never wrong and one is bound to be correct, and Bam! I'm an insider."

Last edited:
Top Bottom