• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Why PlayStation Fans Are Cheering CEO’s Departure

DrFigs

Eh, I don’t really consider DLC that I can play solo offline to be live service.

Live service to me is always connected online, with new community events popping up, and new downloadable extras being waved around. Like Diablo 4 is live service to me. Mario Kart is closer to an expansion pack.

They might do that with Splatoon.
I think i wrote my comment a little hastily and tbh i don't really follow nintendo games closely, so i was going off really limited info. my stance is basically that i don't really see a meaningful difference between what is called live service games and games w/ intensive dlc support, except that one uses a buzzword. nintendo should be given credit here for not adding so many microtransactions in their games, but that's not what gaas means to me really. sony's biggest multiplayer games in the past (uncharted, last of us, etc) had some really terrible microtransactions before the "live service" buzzword was a thing.

Sanepar

Proof of any of the above (except the CEO is leaving)?

(I'll give you poor communication, but when has it ever been good and what has that got to do with the CEO leaving? If anything wouldn't that potentially improve things if the next CEO is better at that?)
Proof? Do u have any sp game besides wolverine from ps studios that we know?

London Studios is making a crap heroes purple hair game that anyone knows will fail hard.

NDog the article says Factions disaster made the studio a mess.

So I don't know what proof u need.

midnightAI

Proof? Do u have any sp game besides wolverine from ps studios that we know?

London Studios is making a crap heroes purple hair game that anyone knows will fail hard.

NDog the article says Factions disaster made the studio a mess.

So you think Sony doesn't have a roadmap of games being made? (Why would I have the roadmap, Sony announces games when they are ready, doesn't mean they aren't being made)

How do you know the London studios game is crap?

We are supposed to believe Schreier about Naughty Dog? (Has the past games not convinced you they are top notch devs?)

Yeh, proof please instead of throwing around FUD

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I think Jim Ryan was honest. By his lights, the business of games is a business, best run by businessmen like him. Passion wants to do things but by itself crashes and burns, or otherwise comes up short. At the end of the day, money is what matters, and makes everything else including passion possible. If Sony's GAAS games succeed, even one, it'll provide more money for other things.

It's the unromantic hard-edged Ami insight, it's the way the world works. None of us probably like it, but it could be the way things are.

avin
Ok ill just pass on Ps6, sony isnt really about making great video games anymore anyway :/

Oh well. Thank goodness for PC.

Ronin_7

Banned
GaaS is the future, Jimbo was right. He doesn't care about your feelings but making money to Sony.

That's the reason the business exist, to make money.

With Sony CFO now on top I think GaaS focus will accelerate and major acquisitions are still coming.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

There's no evidence to disprove though!

All the GAAS stuff is being made by (mostly new) teams that specialize in that sort of production. Factions is a spin-off that pre-dates the push towards service games, while the core team works on their usual fare. Every other studio seems to be business as usual, and merely haven't announced anything because their previous titles were released relatively recently.

This chicken little hysteria is wholly unfounded!

Who the fuck would trust sony with fucking first party gaas games when they end the servers to their games after 5-6 years,gaas games take that much to even get good lmao Jimmy boy is like all the other money hungry ceo's- a goddamn shortsighted moron
Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. Do you get paid by somebody for the number of words in your posts so have to pad them out with inane filler?

FeralEcho

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. Do you get paid by somebody for the number of words in your posts so have to pad them out with inane filler?
No,I make my money doing an honest living,not that it's any of your business,i just don't give a flying fuck about expressing my feelings in earnest but little did i know it would end up triggering some soy boy on the internet today who acts like profanity is some sort of ancient technique that no one uses.What,was the church closed today? Why are you so triggered by the amount of fucks i use anyway? It's disturbing giving so much attention to how some stranger on the internet talks.Seems like doctor phil himself needs a prescription for his own "problems" 😂

Anyway,this conversation if you could even call this exchange that is getting us nowhere so good day to you.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GaaS is the future, Jimbo was right. He doesn't care about your feelings but making money to Sony.

With Sony CFO now on top I think GaaS focus will accelerate and major acquisitions are still coming.

You are indeed right. We're quickly headed towards a future where the biggest game companies on the planet are single game entities. We're already seeing that with the insane growth from Epic Games, Roblox, Minecraft, and MiHoYo.

Companies that rely on producing "cotton candy" games will struggle more and more as the market continues to shift.

Unknown?

Not that aggressively. He hasn't gotten any big IP exclusive
Well that's true but he got talent. Lots of studios with previous talent elsewhere AND making their current studios much larger as well. He basically got Studio Liverpool back with Firesprite and their new IPs will be way more interesting than established big IPs.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Well that's true but he got talent. Lots of studios with previous talent elsewhere AND making their current studios much larger as well. He basically got Studio Liverpool back with Firesprite and their new IPs will be way more interesting than established big IPs.
I'm really hoping they catch on. Sony has done a good job in the PS4 era with horizon, ghosts, and other new IP so I'd like a nice stable they can get out including more multiplayer centric ones

The thing I'm wanting though is to just make sure some of the big ips aren't taken away from them anymore than they already are

There's no evidence to disprove though!

All the GAAS stuff is being made by (mostly new) teams that specialize in that sort of production. Factions is a spin-off that pre-dates the push towards service games, while the core team works on their usual fare. Every other studio seems to be business as usual, and merely haven't announced anything because their previous titles were released relatively recently.

This chicken little hysteria is wholly unfounded!
Happy Fx Networks GIF by Cake FX

SHA

Yea, this is what they need to understand.

However, the problem is that Jim Ryan came across as desperate. Not only did he whine about losing CoD in the future, he also made nearly every single Playstation studio begin work on GAAS titles and then publicly told everyone about this plan.

From an outside perspective it seemed like he was making desperation plays in order to throw anything at the wall to hope it would stick. So many questions arose from this...Are any of these teams aside from Bungie even built for GAAS? Do they even know how to do one successfully? Will all of these GAAS games cause developmental issues on other projects? etc.
Sony is the closest corporate to break through the sealing and try something new authentically.

Tbf. As a lapsed Destiny player who played both games for 7 years I would say that sometimes even Bungie don't know what they are doing...
Understatement of the year. Bungie has lost their minds over the last few years, and especially with the latest expansion and all the recent changes to Destiny 2.

Okay? I said in an earlier post that it is not like Sony is doing away with single player games. I think Jimbo is getting a lot of undeserved heat after announcing his retirement. I do believe that Sony has to get on board with GAAS even if I do not like that model. Maybe I should have said adjust or leave millions on the table.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony legit thinks TLoU Part Two Remake will be enough to tide people over in the SP department alone next year.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The sad part is the same people cheering Ryan's departure probably think that Phil Spencer is doing a good job LOL.

Keep the smooth-brains occupied with announcements of games that are 4+ years out... that's the way you do it!

ProtoByte

His interim replacement…. Who may become permanent is all about mobile, money and cost cutting……

I think the same people will miss Jim Ryan in due time.
I guess the fact that I didn't know Totoki's profile says that I'm not terminally online.

Luckily, it's an interim replacement... given how PlayStation works now, I doubt either him or Hulst are up for the permanent position. They'll probably get an American for it.

Topher

Gold Member
His interim replacement…. Who may become permanent is all about mobile, money and cost cutting……

If he was going to become permanent then they would have just made him permanent.

If the next guy makes me miss Jim Ryan….God help PlayStation.

DrFigs

Oh no imagine if playstation had a japanese ceo. how awful would that be. i'm sure nobody could possibly want that.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Yup. The new temp CEO's backgrund at Sony is decades of finance jobs and a stint leading Sony Mobile. No doubt this guy is all about ROI (he knows first hand at how profitable Grand Order Fate is) so he'll definitely keep or even expand GAAS and mobile games. but it really comes down to if he's permanent or not. I dont think hed do giant strategy shifts in 6 months knowing hed get the boot. But if he's tapped on the shoulder to replace Jim permanently, it'll definitely be more focus on GAAS and mobile and profits.

It'd make no sense if he did a 180 and said he'd focus on more SP games chopping down GAAS/mobile.

Last edited:

Fake

IMO you guys are so affected by this with every post saying 'gonna miss' is so out of reality. Strange sentimentality.

If the next ceo became worst than Jim Ryan, thats not mean we gonna miss Jim Ryan. You guys act like we can only hate one person at time.

The next ceo can be either better or worst than Jim. If worst, nobody will miss Jim.

Bad is still bad, no matter if the other in his position turn out to be the worst, he will not became good just because his sucessor is bad. LOL

Is just like saying 'Don Mattrick is good because Phil Spencer is bad' lmao. Or someone here really miss Don Mattrick?

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Bring back Kaz Hirai and Shuhei Yoshida! I'm tired of these clowns in suits destroying the Playstation legacy. This gen has been a decisive disappointment in terms of first party output.

RickMasters

IMO you guys are so affected by this with every post saying 'gonna miss' is so out of reality. Strange sentimentality.

If the next ceo became worst than Jim Ryan, thats not mean we gonna miss Jim Ryan. You guys act like we can only hate one person at time.

why would ‘us’ “guys” be affected by this? I don’t own the product he was selling. Why would you think that? That’s a strange sentiment, that needs explaining.

Oh…. And I’m well aware that many of you can hate more than one person at a time. What I’ll never understand is the why? Look…. Hate is a strong word I personally reserve for people that have done me wrong. No video game exec will ever be in that position with me. They are just suits that run a company that makes a product that I bought. You need to chill…..they are just plastic game consoles designed to entertain…. Why do feel the need to put the energy into hating execs who don’t even know you exist…. I think that’s a strange sentiment.. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:

RickMasters

Is just like saying 'Don Mattrick is good because Phil Spencer is bad' lmao. Or someone here really miss Don Mattrick?
And let’s be honest….. Jim was never as bad as mattrick. That guy is universally hated. Jim is not. Your comparison makes for a poor example of whatever point you were trying to make.

Also…. When I consider how many of you guys were cheering him on when he was trying to throw the spanner in the works on MS’s ABK acquisition….. I have a hard time believing some of you won’t miss him the way some of you were polishing his knob? Get real, man! 😂😂

Last edited:

RickMasters

Yup. The new temp CEO's backgrund at Sony is decades of finance jobs and a stint leading Sony Mobile. No doubt this guy is all about ROI (he knows first hand at how profitable Grand Order Fate is) so he'll definitely keep or even expand GAAS and mobile games. but it really comes down to if he's permanent or not. I dont think hed do giant strategy shifts in 6 months knowing hed get the boot. But if he's tapped on the shoulder to replace Jim permanently, it'll definitely be more focus on GAAS and mobile and profits.

It'd make no sense if he did a 180 and said he'd focus on more SP games chopping down GAAS/mobile.
Man you should hear his opinion on the cost of AAA games…… not looking good if he sticks around as head of Playstation. Though he may indeed make a tonne of money.

Times really change, yo!

RickMasters

I guess the fact that I didn't know Totoki's profile says that I'm not terminally online.

Luckily, it's an interim replacement... given how PlayStation works now, I doubt either him or Hulst are up for the permanent position. They'll probably get an American for it.
You don’t have to be “terminally online” to do a quick Google search. I never knew who he was before this news either…. Which I’m sure you followed like rest of because you are here.

RickMasters

If he was going to become permanent then they would have just made him permanent.

If the next guy makes me miss Jim Ryan….God help PlayStation.

He talks the language that impresses investors and members of the company board…… just saying. Maybe they are just letting him get his feet wet before making it more permanent. It’s completely plausible

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He won't be there long enough, he is just taking his place because of the short notice of his "retirement"
still not convinced it is a retirement because Jim would have setup his successor.
Not tell them his leaving in 4 months, good luck
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

RickMasters

He won't be there long enough, he is just taking his place because of the short notice of his "retirement"
still not convinced it is a retirement because Jim would have setup his successor.
Not tell them his leaving in 4 months, good luck
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Or Maybe the board of execs chose his successor for him. I’d imagine they have more say than him as far as who gets to sit in the big chair next. We dont know

I bet the chair has some fancy embossed leather Playstation logos though! Made from Italian nappa leather no less 😅😅

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Topher

Gold Member
He talks the language that impresses investors and members of the company board…… just saying. Maybe they are just letting him get his feet wet before making it more permanent. It’s completely plausible

He's CFO for the Sony Group. CEO of SIE would not be a promotion. That's why he is just interim.

He is directly under Yoshida.

Last edited:

Fake

And let’s be honest….. Jim was never as bad as mattrick. That guy is universally hated. Jim is not. Your comparison makes for a poor example of whatever point you were trying to make.

Also…. When I consider how many of you guys were cheering him on when he was trying to throw the spanner in the works on MS’s ABK acquisition….. I have a hard time believing some of you won’t miss him the way some of you were polishing his knob? Get real, man! 😂😂

I find him bad, thats not mean he is bad overall.

He made money for Sony pushing GaaS. Good for Sony. As a consumer, this is not what I looking foward in the brand.

I prefer new IPs. PS4 era did this very sucessful. Can't understand why is so difficult to some to understand.

No, I not missing him. To honest, I find strange getting attached to some guy. He is just a comporative guy, just like his sucessor will be.

And I don't see any problem either getting universal hated. Many before have this reputation. Activision CEO? Phil Spencer? Don Matrick?
In my view only who defend this guy got a problem in this matter.

Last edited:

vkbest

GaaS is not the future, there is no player base enough to a market full of GaaS.

Top Bottom