• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Souls community is adamant at telling you to "Git Gud" but won't dare go near a fighting game?

Knightime_X

It's fun to brag about how cool you are beating a CPU that can't adapt and is always the same.
Or how about talking down on someone playing easy mode.

That person could probably kick your shit in sideways and have it nicely packaged before you realized you're getting flame broiled.

They talk so much shit, but dead silent when "git gud" matters the most.
mNSNKll.jpg

Why? 🤔

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How is one rando you argued with the whole Souls player base? You really think none of these 20-30 million players play fighting games? Also you do know Souls games have fierce PVP also (which many don't dabble in as others are devoted to it), right?

Off topic but, let's play some friendly Tekken 7 matches, it's the only one I still have installed yet I haven't played it in a while (nor do I ever do much online play in any genre) so you'll have an advantage. I have it on Steam, it's crossplay, right? How do we?

Edit: no reply yet? I have less than 70 online matches according to the stats I just checked if that makes your decision easier, it's not actually crossplay after all but I see you game on PC/Steam too so, how do we set a match up, I've just done matchmaking.
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Edit: guess I'm being ignored while you respond to others, well whatever then, mood is leaving me...​

Last edited:
Just saying...If the SC would put their money where their mouth is, the FGC would be one hell of a thriving community.
That's some weird fucking logic right there :D

Pretty sure both are thriving communities as is, maybe they just look for different kinds of challenges.

Varteras

Gold Member
Not a perfect analogy here but it gets the job done. If I buy a house and I love its layout, I don't want nor care for some random jackass to walk into it and tell me it's shitty. I'll tell them to learn to love it or get the fuck out. And I'm not going to give a fuck for their little invitation to come to their house and see "how it's done".

SeraphJan

Hmm, why are some people bragging about playing fighting game won't dare go near to compete in no damage blindfolded speed runs?

It's fun to brag about how cool you are beating a CPU that can't adapt and is always the same.

That person could probably kick your shit in sideways and have it nicely packaged before you realized you're getting flame broiled.

mNSNKll.jpg

Why? 🤔
Cos pressing buttons to attack and having to memorise sequences is mid compared to the feel and direct simplicity of shoulder buttons.

[Sigma]

Out of all the genres I play, fighting games off the top of my head are the most difficult for me(now that im older) because of the time I have to put in(on average). And that's with all the nuances and things that come with it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not a perfect analogy here but it gets the job done. If I buy a house and I love its layout, I don't want nor care for some random jackass to walk into it and tell me it's shitty. I'll tell them to learn to love it or get the fuck out. And I'm not going to give a fuck for their little invitation to come to their house and see "how it's done".
That is how I take the GitGud soundbite… do not come and complain about the difficulty levels and related reward structure of Souls games, try to learn to adapt and thus get better at them. Unless that person was complaining about fighting games being too difficult and pretended to have AI assists or something to level the playing field when playing with other people then I see no hypocrisy…

Last edited:
Just saying...If the SC would put their money where their mouth is, the FGC would be one hell of a thriving community.
So, if your friend would see you in some guilty gear or whatever then you wouldn’t have to hear about how he thinks he’s the shit for beating malenia or whatever. Gotcha. I get it because fighting games are dope and have much more solid combat mechanics than souls games on average, but also whooping your friend’s ass who doesn’t play fighting games never feels very satisfying. You should fight your friend in souls pvp and get stomped then return the favor in your fighting game of choice, you can both get schooled instead of going down this souls community can’t handle real fighting games path you’re on.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

mNSNKll.jpg

Why? 🤔
Souls games are not hard, they are about remembering moves.. hence people beat souls games blindfolded, bongo controllers, dancemats and other tat… if you want a challenge go play CoD

Last edited:

mxbison

Because their whole personality is based on Souls games, why would they play something else?

(same goes for the fighting game community though)

MagnesD3

If someone just says git good alot of the times they are dumb but it's also dumb to say play me in Fighters tho. To be honest I'm better at my SF, KI, Smash and Marvel (also played them before a souls game existed) than I am souls probably lol.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

mNSNKll.jpg

Why? 🤔
Go beat elden ring son, freaking easy game, no need whatsoever to get good in that game and as a plus you can pretend to join the get gud community at the same time

kuncol02

Banned

mNSNKll.jpg

Why? 🤔
(Very) Unpopular opinion.
Because souls games aren't actually that hard (as they don't require any particular skill or high reflexes) they are simply extremely tedious. All they require from player is patience and learning of attack patterns and how to navigate levels.

Lasha

Because souls games aren't actually that hard (as they don't require any particular skill or high reflexes) they are simply extremely tedious. All they require from player is patience and learning of attack patterns and how to navigate levels.

I'm not sure that is an opinion. Souls games are mostly trial and error requiring patience above all. The experience system allows anybody with enough patience to grind their way to a build. The games are pretty easy mechanically. Sekiro is less talked about because its the hardest to cheese your way though.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Tell me you never got good with out telling me you never got good...

Azurro

Banned

Literally every game requires you to learn how to navigate levels and to learn to evade attacks. This post was just silly. :)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
With fighting games it isn’t necessarily about getting good. You just need to be better than the person you are fighting.

Last edited:

Aldric

The Souls games are hardcore games for casuals. By that I mean they have become synonymous with hard games for the mainstream, the kind of people who mostly play cinematic games and FIFA. This is why you see these ridiculous "Crash Bandicoot is the Dark Souls of platformers" articles from unfortunate people who don't know any better.

Souls gameplay (especially nowadays) is also mostly about rote memorization and perseverance, which might be slightly useful skills in fighting games but are far from being enough since fighting games require the ability to strategize, quick thinking under pressure/adaptability and most importantly execution. Any dumbfuck Twitch streamer can beat a Souls game with moderate effort but ask them to clear Ash Crimson's 8th trial in KoF XIII and they'll fruitlessly be stuck on it for the next decade.

Rush2112

Banned
what some fukin dumb fighting game have to do with souls games? Theyre not even remotely similar experiences.

I’ll spell out for you since you seem to need it: Its about skills in a game that YOU give a shit about.

Superbean

Neo Member
Your sentiment isn't wrong. I was ge in CSGO, ap in Apex, tho I never touched valorant, beat Margit during the tutorial encounter in elden ring.i play games on easy and somehow the churrens thinks that must mean I'm bad at games. Kids like that, that over invest their egos in video games is cringe as hell, and very sad. Imagine leading such an empty life.

Top Bottom