• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you manage to enjoy Hollow Knight?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I really liked the art, music and simple mechanics, but the game keeps pushing me away. I like getting lost in the map, but all the money I collected disappears while doing that. I'm too lazy to get back to the surface and spend the money, because it takes too long. This way, while exploring, I inevitably die somewhere and lose everything I've collected. I die when I see a boss, and I have to start again from a bench I've forgotten where it was. I die while trying to find the guy who sells area map. Most of my deaths occurs because I fell into water or onto spikes(platforming related issues), or I die after a surprise attack from a new enemy I've just encountered.

I've read thousands of positive reviews, and everyone is eagerly waiting for the sequel. This game is beautiful but frustrating. So, I'm asking you, how did you manage to enjoy this game?

UPDATE! https://www.neogaf.com/threads/how-did-you-manage-to-enjoy-hollow-knight.1660061/post-268315240

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't really remember at this point. Any time I load it up it's with a (near) full set of unlocks and upgrades, so I don't even remember what starting out is like. I do remember being frustrated at times, but I got through it all so it must have kept me going despite the deaths. This was in full DS "You WILL die" design philosophy, but I'm pretty sure HK killed me way more than any Souls game ever did.

Perseverance. I just stuck with it, even when I got frustrated. I didn't try to follow some step by step guide, or some site map, just went in blind. There were times where I almost quit, but then I'd just think about what was happening and find the right patterns. Glad I did, because as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the greatest games of all-time.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Like I manage all difficult games? You can buy maps, you can unlock 3 fast travels, you can always recover your stuff. If you dont have the patience then this game isnt for you, as the game will get progressively harder especially in boss fights and platforming. The White Palace, assuming you do it, is one of the hardest platforming sections in gaming, not just Hollow Knight. Celeste/Supermeatboy? babies compared to that shit. Good luck.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Like I manage all difficult games? You can buy maps, you can unlock 3 fast travels, you can always recover your stuff. If you dont have the patience then this game isnt for you, as the game will get progressively harder especially in boss fights and platforming. The White Palace, assuming you do it, is one of the hardest platforming sections in gaming, not just Hollow Knight. Celeste/Supermeatboy? babies compared to that shit. Good luck.
Thank you, now I can delete it with no remorse.

Fbh

The backtracking is a bit annoying yeah but I liked everything else about the game so much that it never really felt like more than mild annoyance.
There's still a fast travel system and as you unlock more skills there's also some shortcuts, like with the dash
InexperiencedPointedHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif

Also once you get more used to the combat you shouldn't really be dying that often. The bosses can be quite hard but the regular enemies aren't that bad IMO

Bankai

It has to sink its teeth in you, so that you WANT to keep trying. If that doesn’t happen, probably best to walk away.

I played and finished the main game, but didn’t bother with the added challenges that lay beyond that point. Still took me plenty of time 😆
Fantastic game though and SO hard at times! Music is so awesome as well, so well made.

Hollow Shite; this game is gay.

For real I fucking hate Hollow Knight. It's visually extremely bland, the combat feels like a flash game, and the levels feel like they might as well be procgen. I do not understand the appeal.
If you aren't enjoying the world, the lore, the atmosphere, then you're not going to enjoy the backtracking so why play it in the first place?
Maybe this is the issue. I'm not stroking myself about how there's insects and uh I don't know there's a deep lore apparently? I mean it isn't in the game, but maybe in some hallucinogenic state you could imagine the really good lore and have a good time despite how shitty the game is lol

Pelao

I played through it once. I enjoyed it a ton, but I never bothered to play it again or any of the additional content. With a few exceptions that I can count on the fingers of one hand, I'm simply not a fan of metroidvania games.

I played through it once. I enjoyed it a ton, but I never bothered to play it again or any of the additional content. With a few exceptions that I can count on the fingers of one hand, I'm simply not a fan of metroidvania games.
Sounds like you are a fan of Metroidvania games, given you played this one. You should play a better Metroidvania, like Aria of Sorrow or Symphony of the Night.

Pelao

Sounds like you are a fan of Metroidvania games, given you played this one. You should play a better Metroidvania, like Aria of Sorrow or Symphony of the Night.
As I mentioned, there are a handful of exceptions, and among those is SotN. I enjoyed and finished that game once. I didn't really enjoy any of the other Castlevania games I've played, including Aria of Sorrow, just as I haven't liked any of the Metroid games I've played.

Little Mac

Gold Member
An amazing 30 hour long game (50-60+ in you're a completionist) that launched at $15 bucks. Probably in the top 10 Metroidvanias of all time. Can be rather difficult and/or a slog at times, but overall a very rewarding experience. I felt its length was its biggest drawback.

Wikipedia:

The game was nominated for "Best PC Game" in Destructoid's Game of the Year Awards 2017,[43] and for "Best Platformer" in IGN's Best of 2017 Awards.[44] It won the award for "Best Platformer" in PC Gamer's 2017 Game of the Year Awards.[45] Polygon later named the game among the decade's best.[46]

YearAwardCategoryResultRef
2017SXSW Gamer's Voice Awards 2017Gamer's Voice (Single Player)Nominated[47]
The Game Awards 2017Best Debut Indie GameNominated[48]
Australian Screen Sound Guild 2017Best Sound For Interactive MediaWon[49]
2018Game Developers Choice AwardsBest Debut (Team Cherry)Nominated[50][51]
14th British Academy Games AwardsDebut GameNominated[52][53]
Golden Joystick AwardsNintendo Game of the YearNominated[54][55]
Australian Games AwardsIndependent Game of the YearWon[56]
Australian Developed Game of the YearWon
2019National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers AwardsArt Direction, FantasyNominated[57][58]
Character DesignNominated
Design, New IPWon
Game, Original ActionNominated

Last edited:
As I mentioned, there are a handful of exceptions, and among those is SotN. I enjoyed and finished that game once. I didn't really enjoy any of the other Castlevania games I've played, including Aria of Sorrow, just as I haven't liked any of the Metroid games I've played.
Jokes aside have you tried Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight? As far as Metroidvania games go, that one is great even if (like me) you don't generally like Metroidvanias.

An amazing 30 hour long game (50+ in you're a completionist) that launched at $15 bucks. Probably in the top 10 Metroidvanias of all time. Can be rather difficult and/or a slog at times, but overall a very rewarding experience.

Wikipedia:

The game was nominated for "Best PC Game" in Destructoid's Game of the Year Awards 2017,[43] and for "Best Platformer" in IGN's Best of 2017 Awards.[44] It won the award for "Best Platformer" in PC Gamer's 2017 Game of the Year Awards.[45] Polygon later named the game among the decade's best.[46]

YearAwardCategoryResultRef
2017SXSW Gamer's Voice Awards 2017Gamer's Voice (Single Player)Nominated[47]
The Game Awards 2017Best Debut Indie GameNominated[48]
Australian Screen Sound Guild 2017Best Sound For Interactive MediaWon[49]
2018Game Developers Choice AwardsBest Debut (Team Cherry)Nominated[50][51]
14th British Academy Games AwardsDebut GameNominated[52][53]
Golden Joystick AwardsNintendo Game of the YearNominated[54][55]
Australian Games AwardsIndependent Game of the YearWon[56]
Australian Developed Game of the YearWon
2019National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers AwardsArt Direction, FantasyNominated[57][58]
Character DesignNominated
Design, New IPWon
Game, Original ActionNominated
Can be a slog at times, anyway here's a wikipedia article about all the awards it's won from pretend gamers

keefged4

It's my favorite of all the metroidvanias. The atmosphere is absolutely sublime, as are the mechanics. The game is fair if you learn the mechanics, and its extremely satisfying af once it "clicks" - in a similar way the soulsborne games do. Saying that though, I can see why some are turned off by it. It can be a depressing experience.

SpiceRacz

The trolley and the maps are critical if you're bothered by the traversal. If you're having difficulty finding the map guy, just reference a game guide and it will show you where they're located. The traversal is not that bad once you start to memorize the map and know the fastest routes to the surface.

Success

I am with you OP.

I loved the exploration and seeing new sights in the game but the damn backtracking after each boss defeat was too much.

If they literally just had the save point right next to the boss I would still be playing it,

Currently, the people that love Hollow Knight are the ones that enjoy drudgery.

People like us who enjoy a fine challenge like the Souls games will not like Hollow Knight.

Marvel14

Banned
I really liked the art, music and simple mechanics, but the game keeps pushing me away. I like getting lost in the map, but all the money I collected disappears while doing that. I'm too lazy to get back to the surface and spend the money, because it takes too long. This way, while exploring, I inevitably die somewhere and lose everything I've collected. I die when I see a boss, and I have to start again from a bench I've forgotten where it was. I die while trying to find the guy who sells area map. Most of my deaths occurs because I fell into water or onto spikes(platforming related issues), or I die after a surprise attack from a new enemy I've just encountered.

I've read thousands of positive reviews, and everyone is eagerly waiting for the sequel. This game is beautiful but frustrating. So, I'm asking you, how did you manage to enjoy this game?
Easy..it's a platformer Dark Souls style...understand that and it is eminently addictive...though does get too hard at times.

Does this quotation win nonsensical quotation of the week?

"People like us who enjoy a fine challenge like the Souls games will not like Hollow Knight."

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Thank you, now I can delete it with no remorse.

Well then heres what you were missing out. Go to the timer:

It took me a lot of swearing and a lot of patience and a lot of raging and a lot of sweating but god damn was it satisfying as fuck once I did it, like you cant believe it until you feel that achievement. Shame.

Anyway maybe give this a try

Its as difficult as HK but it also has an easy mode afaik.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I just played it and enjoyed it. Didn't think it was either difficult or tedious getting around the map. At least I don't remember it that way. The bosses were kick ass, that must I can say.

Maybe this is the issue. I'm not stroking myself about how there's insects and uh I don't know there's a deep lore apparently? I mean it isn't in the game, but maybe in some hallucinogenic state you could imagine the really good lore and have a good time despite how shitty the game is lol
I remember when I almost quit playing. In my mind I was already thinking of ways to hate and bash it too like you. But then I got better and didn't need to fake the hate.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
There's still a fast travel system and as you unlock more skills there's also some shortcuts, like with the dash
InexperiencedPointedHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif
At the end of that dash, there's likely a spike or water. I immediately imagined losing the over 1000 units of currency in the gif.

If you aren't enjoying the world, the lore, the atmosphere, then you're not going to enjoy the backtracking so why play it in the first place?
I love all of it. But this shouldn't be called backtracking, it's slowly getting back to failure site everytime(which happens a lot).

Well then heres what you were missing out. Go to the timer:

It took me a lot of swearing and a lot of patience and a lot of raging and a lot of sweating but god damn was it satisfying as fuck once I did it, like you cant believe it until you feel that achievement. Shame.

Holy shit, this is insane. Who plays that level? What were they thinking while designing that?

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I tried, I really tried to like this game but I just had to drop it after almost 20 hours in, its main problem ? it doesn't respect the player's time - like many others have already mentioned in here, it's just a slog due to all the backtracking, slow progression /skills unlock and difficulty.
Regarding the difficulty, shit, I enjoy tough games, I managed to complete fucking Moon scars in all its broken glory a couple of months back but this one, coupled with the horribad backtracking...
I finally nope'd after searching for a specific skill (super dash over large gaps) after seeing online that it was tied to a quest/progression point which required finishing some.other obscure shit before it, at that point I just had enough.
Also : the art style didn't grab me at all and I'm one of those that think that the whole thing looked way to flash-y (as in, flash games of yore).

It may be a good game, a great game even but I just can't do anymore games that don't respect my time.

Ghost song, Moon scars etc were more my cup of tea.

At the end of that dash, there's likely a spike or water. I immediately imagined losing the over 1000 units of currency in the gif.

I love all of it. But this shouldn't be called backtracking, it's slowly getting back to failure site everytime(which happens a lot).

Holy shit, this is insane. Who plays that level? What were they thinking while designing that?
That's just optional and/or additional content for masochists, that's not a requirement for just beating the game.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Its optional but mandatory for the true ending and true boss fight. If you want a more easy experience both ori games are amazing, the second is a lot more metroidvania than the first.

• Treasure
Reactions: K2D

ShadowNate

My curiosity kicked in and I wanted to explore the whole map, unlock abilities, better sword/needle, see more of the characters, fill the monster sheet.

Platforming and certain manouvers were a pain at times. Maybe it would go better with a controller.

I dropped it at the White Palace mid-way the main path. Because F that shit.

Don't like the game and I actually hate the art style, reminds me of a Funko pop character (or however its spelled), which I hate, they're fucking hideous. Reminds me of the Furbie craze in the 90s.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Annoying game

Want a fun one with better production and mechanics? Play Ori
It's funny. I actually think the opposite. I like Hollow Knight a fair bit and think Ori's shit. It's one of the few games that upset me so much that I felt compelled to write a (Steam) review detailing how and why it's awful.

White Palace is awesome. Maybe my favorite level in the game. I can see some people not liking it because the game has not demanded as much from you in platforming up to that point - Queen's Garden comes to mind as having some difficulty bumps in movement but nothing on this level. "It's optional" but I also understand some people don't like hearing that after pouring hours into a game.

To answer the general OP question, the game took a little while to grow on me. I think it gets off to a poor start. You really should have started the game with the dash and maybe wall jump abilities and you feel too slow otherwise imo. Once the world really opens up and you can explore deeper and (more easily) it pulled me in. I like spending my time backtracking and making discoveries on the way, vibing with the environment and music.

I loved Hollow Knight, but I also found map navigation to be a major problem. Having the freedom to explore is nice, but when the overworld map is so elaborate and has so many branching paths, it's practically essential to have some kind of waypoint indicating where to go to find the next story beat or key unlockable. The recent Zelda games have been good about this....it's a wide open world, and you can anywhere you want, but there's always a marker on the map to say "whenever you're ready to advance the story, go over here".

Top Bottom