• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you rank the Monkey Island games?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Unranked: Escape From Monkey Island. I haven't actually played this one. If I'm horrendously underrating it, I apologize. From what I've seen and read, it'll be a popular choice for last place.

1279.jpg

5. Return to Monkey Island: Don't let the low rank fool you! It was still a very good game, and a worthy series entry. The actual puzzling gameplay is some of the best in the series, and the writing and humour is as good as ever. It's let down by the second-worst art style in the series (which grew on me but never impressed), a decent-but-uninspired soundtrack, and a very unsatisfying story resolution.

138653-TM.jpg

4. Tales of Monkey Island: Great story, great dialogue, great puzzles. But that only really kicks in starting around Episode 3 (maybe because that's when Dave Grossman got involved?). If the quality was high the whole way through this could have been a contender for top 2. The 3D graphics are weak, too. Perhaps a remaster, like the Sam and Max episodes got, would change my mind.

full20050121123329.gif

3. The Curse of Monkey Island: I was initially disappointed by this game when I played it back on release. It had a different vibe than MI1/2 and was missing much of the surreal, anachronistic humour. But it grew in my regard over time, and upon a replay. My criticisms still held, but my appreciation for the art, the music, the atmosphere, and the puzzle design all increased.

DOS_01.gif

mi26.gif

The-Secret-of-Monkey-Island-IGN_141.jpg

2. The Secret of Monkey Island: It's hard to overemphasize just how much this captured my imagination and how much impact this had on me as a kid who had only played unfriendly Sierra adventures up to that point. The puzzle design maybe hasn't aged all that well (a few standouts like insult sword fighting excepted), and I wouldn't place it among the best-written or funniest of the series, but the atmosphere and sense of adventure remains unparalleled. It's a combination of mystery (especially back upon release), absolutely beautiful art (even in EGA!), and a soundtrack that's by turns whimsical, adventurous, and goofy. I didn't care for the Special Edition's new art, but I'm glad it was made.

MV5BMTUwYTJkMmMtZjAxMi00N2I4LWE5ZmQtYmE4NDdlMTdjMjI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5NDI0MA@@._V1_.jpg

3-mi_20_03.gif

1. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Great at everything, although I'd place the art and atmosphere just a tiny notch below MI1. It's made up for by even better characters, much more intricate and fair puzzle design (although the difficulty was maybe a bit much), and some brilliant touches like the first use of the iMuse system, a now-lost technology that synchronized the soundtrack to the game world. The ending was killer, too, even if it was impossible to follow up on.

Oohh.. I've only played the first two as well as Tales from Monkey Island. I really need to continue on with the series but I'm going to watch this thread with interest to see folks' thoughts on these. I never liked the way Curse looked, but I do own it on disc. I have been wondering about the newer one too, not surprised to see you place the originals at the top of your list.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
When I see something related to Monkey Island, I immediately see the flag of Spain.

1200px-Bandera_de_Espa%C3%B1a.svg.png

Someone tell me why the Spanish are fascinated by this video game saga.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
1. The Curse of Monkey Island
2. Return to Monkey Island

Rest are disqualified as I have either not mustered up the will to finish them or never wanted to play it (Tales of..).

Krathoon

I have actually only finished the first two games. I got pretty far in 3. I have collected all of them.

Salz01

MI2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Probably going to replay it after playing the Sea of Thieves update. I like Curse the second best. Bought Return on switch, and haven’t finished it yet. I never played the first one. Don’t plan to lol.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I only played 1 and Return, and I liked both.
1 is an absolute classic. I played it to death around 1992, but I only ever finished it thanks to a walkthrough found in a book. So many quotable moments in that game, the insults for the sword fight are still ingrained in my mind.

Return is very good. The artstyle fits the game better than I’d have thought from still images, the humor works, and the puzzles are still clever. Nice console interface too, simplifying things while still retaining the classic graphic adventure feel.

Roberts

I love them all to a certain degree but nothing touches the second one for me. Gilbert and Lucasarts firing on all skull shaped cylinders.

Can’t wait to find free time to check out that Sea of Thieves update.

ShadowNate

1. Secret of. Reasonably short, with original mechanics, intriguing story, fun characters, nice ending.
2. Lechuck's Revenge. Better music, more detailed art, but bloated, with some really bad puzzles thrown into the mix. LOVED the ending though (but not the tiresome sequence that led to it).
3. Curse of. Nice change of art style, strong-ish start. Completely lost interest towards the second half/end.
4. Return to. Polished point and click adventure genre mechanics, ugly-ish art you might be able to look past, nice nostalgia callbacks but also some questionable choices for returning characters. Story was ok-ish, puzzles ok but nothing original or too clever, plot threads kinda fell apart towards the end. The ending was... not a surprise.
5. Escape from. Transision to 3d felt cute, and environments still were good looking (if a bit empty). Story was so boring though, and there was so much fan service and references to other popular games that you could throw up from. The sum felt very much pointless.

I can't decide between 1 and 2, both are absolute masterpieces in their own right so they get shared first place.

1) 1+2
2) Curse

That's it, the rest are dogshit and hardly even true Monkey Island games.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
There's so few games that as soon as I hear the opening jingle or see a bit of the pixel artwork that the nostalgia feels just go through the roof, the first 2 Monkey Island games where just incredible at the time, I played it on the Amiga and you just got lost in the game, your mind filling in all the blanks, I've tried to get my kids to play it but alas it's just too old for them and they lose interest.

I envy all you Xbox owners who are into Sea of Thieves, been watching the trailers for the Monkey Island missions and it's looks incredible, it'd be amazing to play that with the kids, gonna have to hunt this game out and see if I can play it on my phone/iPad

Edit: dammit just checked it's not on the store, just the cartooney Return to M.I. anyone any ideas on how to get it on my phone?

Last edited:
When I see something related to Monkey Island, I immediately see the flag of Spain.

1200px-Bandera_de_Espa%C3%B1a.svg.png

Someone tell me why the Spanish are fascinated by this video game saga.

I can only speculate, but

In the 90s, there was this collection of PC games that was released weekly (biweekly?). The first one was Indy3 and costed the equivalent of 6$, so the collection was rabidly popular amongst teenagers. Monkey Island was one of the first installments and between this and how easy it was to pirate games on 3.5 diskettes, those games were all the rage among high school nerds.

fasciculo-1.jpg

If you're curious you can find the whole list of games here (page in Spanish, ofc)

Holammer

1-2-3 I guess?

1 & 2 are great and I actually have a soft spot for 3, even if I disliked the art direction. The writing was on-point, decent voice acting too and I just loved Murray the Demonic talking skull! 4? Played it for an hour tops and yeeted it because of the tank controls and the butt fugly graphics. Haven't bought or have any desire of getting 5.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
2 is so nostalgic and the best. Playing on my cousins old apple Mac in the early 90’s. Simpler times. I still have this installed on SCUMM VM and boot it up occasionally for nostalgia sake.

nogoQ56.png

Curse > Secret > Revenge > Return > Escape > Tales

In the 90s, there was this collection of PC games that was released weekly (biweekly?). The first one was Indy3 and costed the equivalent of 6$, so the collection was rabidly popular amongst teenagers.
We had something similar in Germany, they even started with the same game :

bestsellergames_1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom