• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you want AI to be implemented in games and consoles?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
We are seeing all these AI features implemented in GPUs, phones and probably next-gen consoles

How do you want it to be implemented in games or console features

I would like to see live NPC voice interaction and a game where the story really changes based on your decisions thanks to the AI and no one can have the same story as another player

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I want AI to create whatever game I dream up in minutes with a few text prompts.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I want AI to create whatever game I dream up in minutes with a few text prompts.
Give it 3-10 years and you won’t even need a prompt. It’ll generate your perfect game algorithmically based off of your preferences. Same with TV shows, movies, music, etc.

Edellus

That NPCs give contextual information. For example, I ask how to reach certain place, and the NPC gives me directions in reference to where we are right now. Stuff like that, where the info changes depending of the context, be it spacial, temporal, historic, social, etc. Maybe even create new events/quests based on some context changing. I think stuff like that could really help with immersion.

Oppoi

If it's like the movie "Her" then yeah, I'd give it a chance for romance and friendship. Why would anyone pass on that? *BZZZT!*

LectureMaster

Gold Member
In game chat assistant.

Player: Show me which consultant companies the developer hired for this game.

Chat: Sure thing! According the development log, Sweet Baby Inc, Hit Detection, and many more game media experts were consulted to ensure that the game resonates with the underrepresented groups.

Player: Thank you! That's very helpful. Now please send me the URL for refund the game.

Chat: Certainly!, Here's your link.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In a year or two it should be possible

With the rate AI is advancing I can certainly see that timeline being realistic.

Give it 3-10 years and you won’t even need a prompt. It’ll generate your perfect game algorithmically based off of your preferences. Same with TV shows, movies, music, etc.

That sounds too good. I'd need to have some input in the creation process. Otherwise I'd want for nothing and turn into a soulless husk consuming whatever the AI was feeding me.

Gives me these vibes, and if you know what this is then you're a true nerd.

bYoJJPC.png

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
We don't even have games like that anymore.
The point of always online games is to collect your data to help them see where they cam improve engagement
Interestingly enough, Apple just announced their AI stuff today, and it’s entirely on-device (except for the optional ChatGPT prompts). Though Apple makes enough money selling their actual devices, so they don’t really need to sell your data. Probably won’t be the same case for gaming.

TrebleShot

It will be amazingly useful for guides or collectibles at ui level or if its used for invites etc tbh it's quite exciting

Dacvak

With the rate AI is advancing I can certainly see that timeline being realistic.

That sounds too good. I'd need to have some input in the creation process. Otherwise I'd want for nothing and turn into a soulless husk consuming whatever the AI was feeding me.

Gives me these vibes, and if you know what this is then you're a true nerd.

bYoJJPC.png
TvSGfJc.jpeg

I didn’t, but AI did 😂

Edit: No it didn’t! AI fuckin sucks.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Interestingly enough, Apple just announced their AI stuff today, and it’s entirely on-device (except for the optional ChatGPT prompts). Though Apple makes enough money selling their actual devices, so they don’t really need to sell your data. Probably won’t be the same case for gaming.
Only the features that don't use advanced ai, samsung phone had them months ago and you can decide if you want them on device or not
oe4sZxj.jpeg

But apple privacy PR is just PR, they still use your data like everyone else

Last edited:
generating full frames at 120fps;
full conversations with NPCs, NPCs chatting with NPCs, NPCs having day-to-day lives, convert my voice (microphone) to the character's in real time;
dynamic, original music where tempo/pacing/instrumentation is affected by what's happening on screen;
dynamic/fluid side quests

I want it to handle the grunt work nobody enjoys doing in video game production so we can get games out faster, and increase depth of interaction that was only possible before if you had Rockstar levels of time and money. However everything the AI is tasked to do and make needs to be checked and touched up by human hands.

That NPCs give contextual information. For example, I ask how to reach certain place, and the NPC gives me directions in reference to where we are right now. Stuff like that, where the info changes depending of the context, be it spacial, temporal, historic, social, etc. Maybe even create new events/quests based on some context changing. I think stuff like that could really help with immersion.
This is a good idea. It would save a lot of work from the dev but allow for deeper interaction. The NPCs should have limits to what they want to talk about though, otherwise it'd be a massive waste of player's time. I know some people are already playing with such mods in Morrowind and GTA and I think it's one of the few great uses of AI in game development that expands rather than contract work opportunities in the field.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

You guys should check CodeMiko training her NPCs for her Mikoverse, the replies they come up with are sometimes hilarious. Personally I'd like AI to generate quests and new items based on your behaviour, kind of a karma engine but beyond what games have offered so far.

xrnzaaas

Improving textures and image quality for older games, but it needs to be double and triple checked to avoid issues. Nothing creative, I already hate all the procedurally generated content in video games and that's not gonna change.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I can see it working for filler radiant type quests. Or voicing and dialog for background NPCs.

If they are filler, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

So, the answer is nowhere. I don't want an autogen tool to do the job that a qualified artist should be doing. Why should we pay for that?

Dacvak

ChatGPT got it wrong.

That character is Legion from the BBC sitcom Red Dwarf (Season 6, Episode 2)
Fuckin’ AI. Can’t even get nerd references right. Throw it all in the trash.

diffusionx

Gold Member
We are seeing all these AI features implemented in GPUs, phones and probably next-gen consoles

How do you want it to be implemented in games or console features

I would like to see live NPC voice interaction and a game where the story really changes based on your decisions thanks to the AI and no one can have the same story as another player
FWIW I don't think any dev is going to do this. Because somebody will figure out how to manipulate it to say all the gamer words and then the company is done.

Bungie

Got an update today on my Series X that added AI improved search, and it does work better, I can finally find Final Fantasy games correctly haha

Use AI to show the agenda pushers how much sales they’ll lose going woke, so it can be overruled towards the beginning of development.

Top Bottom