• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How high can Gamepass go before it’s too expensive?

What is your personal limit for monthly gamepass?

Votes: 102 27.6%

Votes: 117 31.6%

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • 30+

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • N/A it’s already too expensive for me

Votes: 55 14.9%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
$15 is the max I'm willing to spend to basically stay subscribed permanently
Up to $25 it goes into the "wait until it has 2-3 games I want to play, subscribe for a couple of months to play them and then unsubscribe" tier, just like most TV/Movie subscriptions.

Any more than $25 and I'd rather just buy the games.
That's the sweet spot. They'd rather keep you subscribed at $15 for 12 months, than 4 months at $25

YukiOnna

$19.99 probably? though with their 3 tiers I don't think they'll increase it to be honest. Only if they alter the Ultimate tier can I see it jumping an extra 3 bucks. PC and Console will probably remain the same.

I don't think it's their intention to do so anyway and they'll probably continue to offer the $1 or 2 months extra free regularly.

ZywyPL

Banned
As of today? 30$ for GP and 50$ for GPU.

The service at its current price is so cheap it's almost free, I know MS is doing it to penetrate the market and build up the userbse, but I don't expect those prices to stick for more than 2 years.

paolo11

I don’t mind raising them to $25 but …..

It would be awesome to give you a free game you downloaded per 6 months for being a subscriber.

30 bucks for me. Then I’ll be paying the same thing as my car wash.
pay 30 bucks run my car through the wash as many times as I want.
But 31 dollars and my car is dirty and I go back to buying games one at a time.

Fbh

That's the sweet spot. They'd rather keep you subscribed at $15 for 12 months, than 4 months at $25

Yeah I think they'll aim for as low as possible to keep more people subscribed permanently, though if I had to guess in the next 5-6 years it's probably going to go to $19.99.

To me that way the math makes sense too.
With my free time a big game like Starfield is going to take me more than a month to beat. If the subscription is $15 it still makes sense as I basically get to play it at launch for $30 (2 months) while still having access to tons of other games during that time.

But if it's $25+ now the 2 months are $50+ and I'd rather spend an extra $10 (or $20, if they go to $70) and just own the game permanently and play it at my own pace.

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

In my country Gamepass Ultimate costs 45 reais.
It gives you so much value that i would gladly pay the triple (135 reais).

lefty1117

Gold Member
I just think of it in terms of, how many of these games would I be buying full price if I didn't have Gamepass. Given the new titles that are coming in and we should expect to see in the next few years with the acquisitions, I figure there are 5-6 games I'd buy in a calendar year for a total of up to $360, divide that by 12 and we're at $30/month as my break even point.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not sure. I've only ever paid £1 and got something like at the time 24 months and now doing MS Rewards I get on average 6 months GPU every 2 months or so. I haven't actually paid a monthly fee yet - currently subbed until September 2023.

It's 35,000 points for 3 months. I guess if they raise it to 50,000 points for 3 months (which is quite within their rights) I'll eventually run out of points!

Last edited:
30+

People spend a lot more for cable

GamePass can easily provide $360/yr if you are a high volume gamer. That’s only six $60 dollar games. MS now has the studios to provide at least that many games per year plus a catalog of much more

T-Cake

I think I earn about £17 in MS Rewards points each month. And GPU costs about £12 or something currently, so another fiver would be my limit to keep it totally free.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
42 dollars per year with the Middle East cheats right now.
Which is what 3.5 dollars per month?

Ive been a cheater for so long I actually forgot this shit was monthly....once the gold conversions stop I think the crack withdraw will have me paying anywhere as high as 25-30 dollars for GPU.

Concern

$20 is probably sweet spot for most people. Although most people with the slightest common sense will always find a cheaper deal anyway.

Haggard

Banned
I was reluctant just to sign up for the 3x1€ / month ....
I´ll never subscribe for longer than it takes me to play the 1-2 games I´m interested in.
Higher than 15 and I´ll probably just wait for the budget bin. I don´t like renting at all.

Griffon

The arbitrary game selection is of little interest to me. I barely finish 5 recent games per year, and those don't even represent 120€ of spendings (game prices are reasonable on pc), and I get to choose and keep my games.

Gamepass already isn't a good deal to me. And all I fear is they'll try to drive the buy prices up to justify its existence.

Last edited:
All I know Sony is about to make it 30 a month for their own.

PS+
PSNow
CrunchyRoll+Funimation

And they will not include their AAA single player games.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Well if I were to take regional pricing into account I'd say 5 USD per month for the PC version. And I would love them to have an annual plan instead of a monthly subscription.

SkylineRKR

I think they're going to raise the price for sure. Netflix went from like 8 bucks to 15 bucks over time. Disney is already 2 bucks higher than it once was.

Perhaps they're going to raise it to 15 or 19 once the activision stuff drops.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Paid 1€ and that Windows app made think I payed too much.

Great selection of games but come on, fix that thing. Is it web based or something? I hate that kind of software, always seem to run like shit.

Barakov

Gold Member
$20. A lot of it depends on how many games you play. For someone who plays a lot of games, it might still be worth it. But someone who plays far less(ie. the people who only buy COD and Madden) it might not be as enticing of a deal.

The price point of $19.99 for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate doesn't seem like a far-fetched idea, but I expect that the price point for PC Game Pass will remain the same.

Hunnybun

Assuming we're a couple of years off and they're releasing a quality game pretty much once a month, just from their first party, then I'd pay £30 a month for that. IMO that's higher than they're ever likely to go, so I guess I'm good.

I could see it eventually topping out at like £20 here and say $25 in the US.

Kdad

I only spend about 90/year on games so its all ready too expensive for my taste. I might do a one off month some day if there is no other way to play a certain game otherwise its not for me.

aclar00

It's an interesting question, but I think GamePass is still in a unique position. Netflix subscribers have alternatives, there currently aren't any alternatives to GamePass. I think it could probably go up to $30 and it would still be okay for a lot of ppl. As long as the illusion of value is still there. I only play X amount, but look how much I'm getting for X amount... it equals Y times what X costs.

I know ppl who have Netflix and barely use it, they've had it for years and maybe only care for 10% of the content on the service. But, as long as there is a banger here and there, the value the service holds with them. Squid Games came out and they'd forgotten that they didn't care for most of the content on the service. I think sometimes it's the "but, I could" and not "I want to" that delivers the value. Sometimes having the option, even if you may never use it, is enough to justify the price of a service.

This is likely one of the most ideal outcomes for service providers. They dont really have to provide an actual value per se to the service. They just need to convince people that it's not too expensive to bother cancelling it.

Suscribers first, content utilization second.

This is likely one of the most ideal outcomes for service providers. They dont really have to provide an actual value per se to the service. They just need to convince people that it's not too expensive to bother cancelling it.

Suscribers first, content utilization second.

There will be other players by. The end of this gen

buenoblue

Every time I sub for a few months I'm like this is insane value. Then I never use it lol. Plus I have the fear stuff will just disappear half way through playing. If there is a game like halo infinite or Forza I'll sub for a month but I think I like to buy my games and just take my time.

jaydogg691

$25 would still be good deal. Might not have it active for years like I do now, but using it for the month a game that interest me, I would be fine with the 25. The cost of saving between 2 accounts, not having to pay for 2 Gold subs, and 2 copies of games is immense. I’ve been an active subscriber since 2018 and I’m locked in until 2025 through deals and All Access. I’m eating good.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's borderline already for me personally (PC Game Pass). Just not worth it considering how much and what I play. If it's $20 or more I'm out.

Lone Wolf

I think anything higher than $20 would have a negative impact. With that said, I haven’t paid full price yet. After I got the 3 year conversion deal, I’ve either bought gamepass Ultimate cards at half price, or used Microsoft points to keep my sub at 3 years.

Top Bottom