• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long before we run out of new shows to watch?

RPS37

With actors joining the writer’s strike, it got me wondering typically how long it takes for a show to be “in the can” to airing.

Therefore, I’m also wondering when do we run out of new shows to watch.

Rival

Gold Member
Network TV / streaming shows take the immediate hit hence nothing but game shows and reality shit for the foreseeable future. We probably have a pipeline of 12 months of theatrical releases that won’t be effected. But the lull will come about a year to a year and a half down the line depending on how quickly it gets resolved.

Last edited:
Bruh, this is the spin? Korean drama are thrash tier
No Way Beer GIF by Busch

watch these 3 shows and then lets meet somewhere and i want you to tell me with a straight face that they're trash.

Last edited:

DKehoe

My list of stuff to catch up on is huge. So I'll be fine in that regard, especially since my free time to watch stuff is fairly limited these days.

Cyberpunkd

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

watch these 3 shows and then lets meet somewhere and i want you to tell me with a straight face that they're trash.
I will bit since I just got a bundle subscription to everything possible under the sun in France. Let’s start with the taxi dude, will report back.

SJRB

Gold Member
When was the last actual good critically acclaimed show, anyway? The Last of Us, probably. House of the Dragon, maybe? Even that seems to have come and gone.

There's just so much trash and so little quality I hardly think this strike is going to make a difference. On the output, yes, but the absence of quality, not really.

Spyxos

I can catch up on a lot of things now. But I think it is already noticeable now. Loki was supposed to come out at this time and Severance 2 season, which I really wanted to see, is no longer coming out.

I think Netflix will have it the easiest, because they have a lot of international series / movies. They will probably focus more on international stuff and there you will hardly notice it.

For the others, however, it looks bleak. I guess until the end of the year they still have something to show. Things that still need to be cut and where cgi is still unfinished, after that it will be an entertainment desert.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That already happened at the beginning of the 2000s. Every show is just a remake of an old premise now.

I don’t really watch much of anything. In the short free-time I have I usually play games. The game industry is getting pretty stale but I have access to so many preexisting games that I’m not worried about it.

BlackTron

I can catch up on a lot of things now. But I think it is already noticeable now. Loki was supposed to come out at this time and Severance 2 season, which I really wanted to see, is no longer coming out.

I think Netflix will have it the easiest, because they have a lot of international series / movies. They will probably focus more on international stuff and there you will hardly notice it.

For the others, however, it looks bleak. I guess until the end of the year they still have something to show. Things that still need to be cut and where cgi is still unfinished, after that it will be an entertainment desert.

I think this is a good thing, even for the industry at large. It needs a break. Everything is so oversaturated. If it needs to be a forced reset, so be it.

Spyxos

I think this is a good thing, even for the industry at large. It needs a break. Everything is so oversaturated. If it needs to be a forced reset, so be it.
I would want to agree with you, but after the Covid years, I'm not so sure they're doing so well. And Disney has had a lot of flops in a row right now.

Laptop1991

I've got a few to watch, but there isn't as many good shows as there were years ago anyway in my opinion, i haven't been watching the amount i use to 10+ years ago and longer, so it won't be that different really for me.

Last edited:
-OP just wants a question answered.

-95% of the people who are coming into the thread are thinking he is wanting to be reassured in order to cope, and they give advice instead.

-OP clarifies and says he just wants a timeline estimate.

-People continue to discuss how Hollywood sucks and provide OP life advice instead.

giphy.webp

GloveSlap

If i remember right from the last strike you start to notice after 6-9 months. I really hated that mid-2000s strike. Now, like a lot of others here, i couldn't care less.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Some shows and films might get delayed, but I can't imagine a situation where no new content is being released at all.

For that to happen the strike would need to go on for many months. Can't see that happening.

SJRB

Gold Member
-OP just wants a question answered.

-95% of the people who are coming into the thread are thinking he is wanting to be reassured in order to cope, and they give advice instead.

-OP clarifies and says he just wants a timeline estimate.

-People continue to discuss how Hollywood sucks and provide OP life advice instead.

giphy.webp

How the fuck is anyone on NeoGAF.com going to give a timeline estimate on a Hollywood writer/actor strike as if anyone here has any clue what the hell is going on in that regard?

I mean, what kind of answers are you expecting on this forum?

How the fuck is anyone on NeoGAF.com going to give a timeline estimate on a Hollywood writer/actor strike as if anyone here has any clue what the hell is going on in that regard?

I mean, what kind of answers are you expecting on this forum?
I'm not the OP, but to semi-answer, you'd just have to give a take based off of the last strike and it's impact and then make an estimate from there.

I mainly found it funny that people were instead ignoring the OP and telling him answers ranging from 'read a book' to 'watch old 90s shows' to 'stop watching TV' as if he was reaching out for help lol.

Spyxos

0neAnd0nly

Idk.

But another related thought…

As much as I would dislike it…

I would have a bit of a chuckle if this “writer’s strike” ended up causing all the studios to ramp up using AI scripts, and stop paying oodles to legacy, tired actors and brought in eager fresh blood, and in 6 months we began to see fully AI generated scripts being run by less egotistical Hollywood actors.

It’d be QUITE. THE. DOOZY. Eh?

RPS37

People keep answering this as a question to the viewers, I want to know when the networks run out of new shit to put out and just start airing old shit/reality shows!

Top Bottom