• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long can my computer run without a Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

vangace

My fan just got busted but the comp is still running okay so i was just wandering if its dangerous to run my pc without a fan.

dem

Cpu fan? I wouldnt run without that...

If its just a case fan go nuts... Theyre usually more a luxury than a necessity.

belgurdo

Banned
I had a comp with a busted fan once and it ran for about an hour at a time before the failsafes kicked in and shut the machine down before it caught fire

Mashing

If it's the CPU fan... I wouldn't run it at all. CPU's can burn up in minutes or sometimes even seconds. Doesn't take them very long at all to get hot.

It sounds like it's a case fan that went out, which isn't that big of deal in the short term, you do want to get it replaced though so you can have proper air circulation inside the case. You can take the cover off your case and sit the computer out in the open until you can get it replaced... the ac in the house can help somewhat but then you gotta worry about dust.... but that's never been a problem with me when I've done it.

vangace

Mashing said:
If it's the CPU fan... I wouldn't run it at all. CPU's can burn up in minutes or sometimes even seconds. Doesn't take them very long at all to get hot.

It sounds like it's a case fan that went out, which isn't that big of deal in the short term, you do want to get it replaced though so you can have proper air circulation inside the case. You can take the cover off your case and sit the computer out in the open until you can get it replaced... the ac in the house can help somewhat but then you gotta worry about dust.... but that's never been a problem with me when I've done it.

It is a case fan and yes i had already taken off the cover

xsarien

daedsiluap
vangace said:
My fan just got busted but the comp is still running okay so i was just wandering if its dangerous to run my pc without a fan.

With what's under most modern computers' hoods? Turn it off now, and don't turn it back on until you get a new one.

Burger

I thought it was near impossible to fry a CPU these days ?? They nearly all have big failsafes to prevent these things happening.

Tomshardware had a video of a PC running 3D Mark, they removed the heatsink and the thing took a few seconds to rise to 70-80 odd degrees c, then it shut down. Still worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom