• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many times have you been "friend-zoned" ?

Times in the friend-zone?

• Once

Votes: 33 26.0%

Votes: 20 15.7%

Votes: 12 9.4%

Votes: 3 2.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• 10+

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Never

Votes: 45 35.4%

• Total voters

BlackTron

I voted twice. The first girl 20 years ago, which is what taught me all about the dangers of the friend zone, drove me insane. We did stuff together, she hung out at my house, watched movies with a single blanket, and even gave me back massages while it got serious with another guy in parallel. I really liked her, and she didn't want to stop seeing me either, but I eventually put my cards on the table with an ultimatum (which I knew I would lose) and never saw her again, which was a better outcome than the game we were playing.

The second girl was a 9.5 and well...we actually did hook up once near the beginning, but she was just insane and tried to play games with me for the rest of time. Always getting herself in trouble over the years, always needing rescuing, I just always took pity for how dumb she was and her sad situations, like having a 1 year old with no money, a car that broke down, and needing to make it to work that day or else she's going to get fired, and not having a single real friend who cares that she can call but me. But I never really had much to show for it. She would talk like she cares about me but always fail to show up at the pivotal moment. I finally kicked her out of my life for good just earlier this year.

I'm the kind of guy who won't get caught up getting leeched dry by manipulators and users, but, when I see the opportunity to make a difference where it counts with a "shatter point", that could have ramifications for the rest of your life, I'll show up, and being insane, she needed some rescues to avert disaster, always making me think the scene of Jet from Cowboy Bebop going DAMMIT to save Spike when trying to clip his bonsai tree lol. Once I even scooped her up from this seedy place it seemed some bad shit was about to go down, she was delirious when I got there, next day she acted like I was her hero and thought they drugged her drink...WTF.

When I ask for one favor in advance and she says she is good for it, she forgets about it. Get the fuck out of here. Ultimately I don't have regrets, I didn't go out of my way to get anything back, I did it to keep bad things from happening to this girl, but big surprise why I was the only solid friend she could count on for so long, she just never grew out of that shit.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I’ve done it to myself a few times only realizing years later she wanted the D.

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

Same

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Never I gots married to my highschool sweethearts

This is terrible my friends I think my brain is melting down only times I was sober last year is when I woke up passed out for 3 days naked in the middle of an orchard and it was raining

trying to get help for my family but I just cant stop eating and drinking

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Maybe some of y'all just friend zone yourselves? And there's nothing wrong with having a woman friend. They make the BEST wingmen! Especially if you have more than one who will be your wingman. Women best friends are absolutely awesome!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Never I gots married to my highschool sweethearts

This is terrible my friends I think my brain is melting down only times I was sober last year is when I woke up passed out for 3 days naked in the middle of an orchard and it was raining

trying to get help for my family but I just cant stop eating and drinking
The path you’re on doesn’t end well for you or your family. Gotta pull yourself together man.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Also... Just because you fell for her doesn't mean she's gotta fall for you. You more than likely aren't her type or attractive to her. If you were, she'd have given you several hints.

No woman OWES you her body or heart. That's incel thinking. Just be a friend if that's what she's looking for ... But I see a lot of "playing myself" in these comments... And I'm not different... The difference is is I don't get my heart broken just because she doesn't like me back. I take the L and, if she's been a solid friend, I keep being her friend... And ask if she'll be my wingman... Which she probably will. I know my best friends (most women) will try to hook me up with the prettiest, finest woman wherever we are. Because they want me to be happy! And they'll beat her ass if she tries to play me!

Get you a wingwoman

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
As a teenager I never went after someone I didn’t have a chance with. I lost friends from high school because I didn’t bother with the friend zone. I went after every opportunity I had. Makes sense to why I don’t associate with anyone from that time of my life.

As an adult there was one time where I was a fool. I didn’t read the signs and I made a fool of myself. I met a girl in college. Started talking to her, thought she was great, and gave her some money. I paid for her gas to go see her dying grandparent, bought her an iPad for the trip, and then made a move. There were signs. I didn’t see them. I felt like a fool.

I sometimes think back to the girls I met in high school. I wonder if we would have stayed good friends. At one time I had my entire year book signed by all these different people. Life moves on. You have to fix relationships or they fade very fast. Even in marriage. If you aren’t working on the relationship, it can go to hell pretty quick. My advice would be to not get attached or obsessed with someone. Make yourself available, but don’t wait around if someone doesn’t seem interested.

Power Pro

This thread just reminded me how I was recently playing Borderlands The Pre-sequel cuz I wanted to finally check it out, and even though I love Borderlands 1 and 2, I was almost gonna turn the game off because of a stupid line of dialogue.

At first there was a funny joke there how Torgue asks this lady Janey out, and she says she's into girls, and Torgue is like "friend zonnnnnneed" (Because Torgue screams everything, it was kinda funny the way he said it).

But then the game fucks it all up by having Torgue make a sentence saying he wants to apologize for his outburst, and how friend zoning is a "imaginary misogynistic way of looking at relationships". :goog_unamused: I tell ya, that stupid line of dialogue made me want to turn the game off.

Last edited:

Dark Star

I can’t say I’ve tried to date or hangout with many girls with the intention of making them my girlfriend or whatever. I like being alone, it’s chill. I got rejected asking out a girl in college once, but it was a straight up “I have a boyfriend” rejection and I didn’t pursue any kind of relationship with her after. I guess that’s how I am, not really a friend-zone kind of guy.

Not trying to say I’m some kind of cool sigma male or whatever, but I just don’t really need to be friends with girls unless we work in the same office together, or share a hobby like skating or music or something. With professional relationships im perfectly happy being just-friends and keeping my distance.

Last edited:

Hip Hop

I actually friendzone woman

It has become a point where Woman approach me and I don't have to approach them, so I have to do this often as I am just not interested in my life currently. Focusing on myself and no one else.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
In high school, once.

Gorgeous tall girl, into the emo chic deal that was all the rage fifteen odd years ago. Was super head over heels, even got into physical fights over the chick, and she'd always end up dating someone on our periphery. She'd come to the house practically every other day, and we'd spend most of the Summer hanging out around town, but no dice. She'd even say at one point "You're a great guy, I don't know why we never dated! uWu,"

To my knowledge she's since moved to another state, pixie cut her hair, and is a Leftist protest marchman. Alas.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Once, I ended the friendship when I realized I wasn't feeling like a friend towards her and she wasn't into me, a year later we hooked up a few times but I had zero feelings for her at that time so we just drifted away, I still see her around from time to time as lost and confused as she was 15 years ago.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
In high school, once.

Gorgeous tall girl, into the emo chic deal that was all the rage fifteen odd years ago. Was super head over heels, even got into physical fights over the chick, and she'd always end up dating someone on our periphery. She'd come to the house practically every other day, and we'd spend most of the Summer hanging out around town, but no dice. She'd even say at one point "You're a great guy, I don't know why we never dated! uWu,"

To my knowledge she's since moved to another state, pixie cut her hair, and is a Leftist protest marchman. Alas.

Probably aged 42, used to be on AOL chats.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can honestly say I've never been friend zoned.

I've been turned down by women of course, who hasn't... but I've never found myself in a situation where I wanted to hang around a girl who wasn't interested in me. Don't see the point. All the female friends I have are because we share something in common, and there's no attraction there.

Basically, if you want to fuck 'em, you can't/don't want to be friends with them. Always been a pretty accurate rule of thumb.

Hudo

I’ve done it to myself a few times only realizing years later she wanted the D.

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco
This... hits close to home...

No fucking joke: I actually pulled a George Costanza once. She asked me if I wanted to come up for a coffee and I fucking flat-out said "Thank you but it's too late for coffee".
Only after I dropped her off it dawned on me what just happened.

Top Bottom