• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many your consoles malfunctioned?

Kings Field

I feel like I’ve been pretty lucky in 36 years of having only my OG Xbox 360 disc tray stop working towards the end of the generation. My one friend went through a RROD, a YLOD PS3, and his Switch screen shit the bed.

The only one that we had play up was our Vectrex but only because my brother and I hooked a 12V motor up to the plug and switched it on.

Apart from that no issues with Sega Master System, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, two PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro and now PS5.

Edit - Actually I did have disc eject issue with PS4

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Had a Dreamcast where the lid wouldn't latch but it would work if you just weighed it down which I think was a common fault. Other than that I've had various PS and Xboxes with no problems. I only got my first Xbox 360 in 2012 so I think the RROD issue was solved by then.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
My launch PS5 died after about 12 months, disc drive gonked out or something. Sony was super cool about it and eventually sent me a new PS5.

Was the first time I had trouble with a console but the whole process was very smooth. Aside from being without a PS5 for a couple of weeks, of course.

Banjo64

cumsessed
3 360s (rrod)

PS2 disc drive stopped reading DVDs (but luckily still read games) when my dad had a paddy about video games and pulled it from its shelf.

That’s it I think.

TheUsual

Gold Member
YLOD PS3 back in the day.

Not me, but a friend went through 3 or 4 PS2s with the dreaded disc read error

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS3 Phat is about to YLOD...Cleaned it out, new paste, ect. but its only a matter of time don't really need it anymore anyway since I have a PS3 SLIM

Xbox One X has borked out and had to completely reset twice (dat windows)

All my Sega consoles work like day one......Sega doesn't get enough credit for how well built those systems were

ManaByte

Gold Member
Launch PS1 with the warped drive ribbon.
Black 360 (falcon model) RROD
Launch PS5 NIC died (ethernet port no longer works)

Esppiral

All of them except for the Sega Saturn, PS4,Ps5 and Xbox one and series x, and I've owned almost every major single console.

DaGwaphics

Lost 1 360. Other than that none really.

I did have the infamous loose power cord on my OG Xbox (nothing a little electrical tape couldn't fix) and my PS1 often needed to be turned upside down towards the end of my ownership of it, but they kept on trucking.

foamdino

1 - RRoD for the single 360 I bought - returned it and got a PS3 instead.

Worst generation ever - crap games, shit hw, so glad we didn't end up with only mobile games after that travesty of a gen

Needlecrash

My 360 and OG Xbox had RROD. My fully backwards compatible PS3 had YLOD and I lost half of my PS1/PS2 game saves on it. It was fucking tragic. I was at the final dungeon in Final Fantasy IV and poof. Console died.

I had two PS1's malfunction on me. One of them had an issue with the laser reading the games and would make a loud grindy sound. The 2nd one.... Oh boy. This is the era of the corrupt memory cards. One of my memory cards got corrupted and I was playing Star Ocean 2 on it. I lost about 68 hours of data. The 2nd was another corrupt memory card. It was so corrupt that it bricked any Playstation 1 that had this card inserted in it by resetting the system and disabling any controller input. Not even the cursor from the memory card/cd player menu showed up. It was so fucking weird and aggravating.

Last edited:

blakdecaf

2 Xbox 360's, an Xbox One X and a Switch.

Sony machines so far have all been tip top, apart from jet engine levels of noise that comes from my Arkham Knight OG PS4 now.

Roberts

360 RRoD before warranty expired so all good. Recently hooked up my second 360 and OG Xbox and turns out both still work.

winjer

Gold Member
Only the Xbox 360. One time with an RROD and a second time with an Error 73.
Sent it to MS for repair and it came back with it's fans ramped up a lot and making a ton of noise.
Easily the worst console I ever owned.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
PS5 had a really loud disk drive. Got a replacement and that solved the issue. Only one I’ve had an issue with.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The only major one was YLOD on Ps3.

Other than that it’s been smaller stuff. I can remember my Wii having problems reading the dual-layer discs, for example.

Kilau

Launch PlayStation- eventually had to be used upside down to work.

PS3 80GB- YLOD, resurrected with heat gun but died again.

Dreamcast- worked perfect but Sega malfunctioned.

Only ones that come to mind are the original NES with having to pop that cart in just right to work and having to flip the PS1 upside to work at all.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just one - Xbox 360 (Red Ring of Death).

My old Sega Genesis never died on me. My PS4 is still kicking. Never had any issues with my PS5. Xbox 360 was fun until it died in the middle of my RDR 1 playthrough 😞

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
None.
I've broken my first 360 when I modded it. forgot to get the key off the drive to spoof it later.... yikes.
2nd 360 (jasper) no problems. Still got it and it's working.
ps4 slim no problems. my nephew is still using it
ps5 no problems. Returnal broken r2 spring but it was 5 minutes replacement. last month got new controller because of stick drift.

Guilty_AI

Saturn -> Some issue with the disk tray not closing properly, just minor since it would close after a few tries.
X360 -> RROD. Twice or thrice, i don't even remember.
PS3 -> Some weird HDD reading issues where games would take ridiculous amounts of time to load. As in "prepare some noodles" waits.
PS4 -> Not mine specifically (my sister's), the power button wouldn't work.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony machines so far have all been tip top, apart from jet engine levels of noise that comes from my Arkham Knight OG PS4 now.
Clean it, and you'll see a noticeable difference.

My OG PS4 was shutting down because of heating issues, but I knew it was because of dust (I live in a very dusty area). I had it cleaned properly, and it ran TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and other heavy-duty games quietly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Everyone learned their lesson from MS RROD I think. Consoles after that have been mostly solid.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Quite a few.

PS1 - Warped drive rails
PS2 - DRE's
PS3 - YLOD
Xbox 360 - RROD
Jaguar - Red screen of death
PSP - Disc drive
Gamecube - Disc drive

simpatico

PS1 - had to flip console over to dependably play discs
360 - RROD
Wii - Stopped working, forget details, but Nintendo sent a new one quick af

Every single controller however, has died one way or another. Stick drift with playstation and Nintendo. 360 is usually a shoulder button double clicking or not registering.

Last edited:

Holammer

Launch PS1 needed a lens replacement but worked fine otherwise despite me using it extensively. Similarly I worked one PS2's to death and the other is barely hanging in there, but repair the DVD drive eject mechanism (point of failure) and they're probably still good.
Never owned a 360 so I dodged that bullet. The rest of the consoles and micros work fine and even ye olde Atari 2600 still works.

Top Bottom