• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many your consoles malfunctioned?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I remember experiencing disc reading errors on my PS2. I haven't encountered any issues with Atari, Wii, Switch, PS3, and PS4 so far. We used to play with my friend's PS1 for years without any issues. Consoles are one of the rare technological products I can dare to buy without a warranty. I can't say the same for their controllers though.

th4tguy

My launch ps2 had a faulty gpu. Tons of artifacting.
My fat ps3 yellow lighted on me after 4 years.
I had 4 Xbox 360s RR on me. MS would fix them and I was also getting promo ones at the time regularly so it didn’t feel like a big deal but damn what a shit show.

StereoVsn

I feel like I’ve been pretty lucky in 36 years of having only my OG Xbox 360 disc tray stop working towards the end of the generation. My one friend went through a RROD, a YLOD PS3, and his Switch screen shit the bed.
Had PS2 Phat break, Xbox 360 RROD, and that’s about it. This is across consoles including handhelds stretching back to NES. I avoided PS3 issues by buying it when Slim came out. That one is still fine.

Hudo

None. But I had some PS4 and PS5 controllers die on me. Shoutout to my atomic purple GameBoy Color, this thing was/is fucking indestructible.

marcincz

X360 - RRoD
PS3 - YLoD
Retron 5 - stop working one month before end of warranty (lucky me)
PS5 - motherboard (warranty)
Xbox One X - don't know, currently in service

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Not really and I've owned multiples of every console.

My gamecube from my childhood has trouble reading discs nowadays but still works, and I need to remove rust from the inner metal plates.

jonnyp

None but I haven't touched anything older than the PS4 since PS4 launched so not sure if they still work after not being used for so long.
1x PS1
1x PS2
1x Dreamcast
2x PS3
1x X360
2x PS4
2x PS5

Zannegan

Been somewhat unlucky.

Lost two fat PS2s. The generation after that was the worst though, with two RRoD 360s and a YLoD PS3. Even had a Wii shut down at the end of the generation.

The next gen was better. PS4 is still running (and the Wii U... probably). The Switch has been solid, joycon aside, obviously.

PS1 had issues playing fmws.
PS2 stopped working after GTAIII froze.
PS3 Launch model got an YLOD while I tried copying my game saves for the ps3 slim.

LRKD

a used ps3 where both the power button and the eject button are eject buttons. Neither operate as the power button. A Xbox 360's power brink constantly overheating (not the console itself) . A 360 where you have to hit it for the disk tray to work. And of course, a couple ps3s that died, and ps2s that lasers gave out.

And I Have never ever seen a ps4 that didn't operate like dog shit. Menus glitching, unresponsive, stores not loading, buttons not responding. No problems actually in game, but on the console menu/store it's the absolute console I've ever used.

Killer8

My first 60gb PS3 died within a year and needed a replacement.

Original Xbox recently caught fire just a few seconds after I plugged in the power cable, RIP.

My PSP Go has a few stuck pixels after not using it for years. Not really noticeable but a bit annoying.

Apart from that, i've been pretty lucky. Consoles are getting more reliable and it pays to wait for a revised slim model.

My original Xbox had a Thomson drive and would eventually not read dual layer discs.

My Xbox 360 gives the red rings occasionally but never stopped completely working. At least I have a backup i bought for $100 when it was being phased out.

A PlayStation that eventually stopped reading discs but if i tilted or turned it upside down it would work.

My launch Dreamcasts drive motor (?) gave out, fittingly, with the last US game released, NHL 2K2, in the disc tray.

My launch PS3 overheats when trying to play The Last of Us and shuts off. Like the 360 i have a new ps3 stored away i got for $100 when they were being phased out.

My launch PS2 began to stop working around 3-4 years after launch. I dont remember much about this other than replacing it.

SHA

PS2 broke it in half, xbox 360 rrod, the fixer did attach the PS2 motherboard and it worked miraculously.

Last edited:
Launch ps3 died, found the 'slim' a few years later at a garage sale.
Never had a 360 go bad probly because I always traded in the old console when the new models released. Launch 360 traded for the one with hdmi traded for the 360e.

1 ps1. Even running it upside down made no difference in the end. 1 Xbox that just quit on me and a load of 360s with red ring (had 3 in two weeks go red on me 😬🙈)

I could go further back to a dead on arrival spectrum +2. That was eventually swap for my trusty Amiga 😎

MarkMe2525

2 dead 360's that got replaced. I have a 360 S now, so that should last for a long while. My PS3 died with the yellow lights. Sony wanted $180 (iirc) to fix so that
is now just for show. The center part that holds the disc fell apart on my PS1. Everyone had an issue with their NES cartridge slot, including me.

I had a little cottage business in high school fixing ps2's and the odd xbox. Those belt drives would go out like crazy, and I probably had to clean 50 ps2's lasers. For some reason, the few OG xbox's I looked at had their HDD come disconnected.

Never had an issue with Snes, Genesis, Wii, Game Gear, Game.com, PS4, X1, X1X, XSX, and Switch.

edgardo-sp

Neo Member
- NES cart loader wouldn't read the game or it would reset every second.
- Not the console, but analog sticks on N64 gamepads would soon start drifting.
- Dreamcast disk drive failed and stopped reading disks.
- PS Vita corrupted a 8 GB memory card

Other than that, I've been lucky.

One RRoD on my first Xbox 360 console which was replaced for free by Microsoft once I shipped it to them (though I did have to go 3 weeks without a console 😢). Other than that, all my gaming consoles have worked without issue.

Brigandier

PS1 stopped reading discs.

Dreamcast video error of some kind of video error the screen kept flashing green, Didn't matter DCs were £50 new at Toys R Us as SEGA announced they were exiting the hardware business.

360 - Shambolic... 3 RROD even received a replacement with RROD and 4th replacement the disc drive was making a really high pitch vibration, The redesign was excellent and put an end to reliability issues.

Phat PS3 - Disc drive stopped reading discs.

Codeblew

I have never had a console fail going back to the 2600 days. I never have had a vic20/c64/amiga/atari400/800 fail either. The only thing I have had fail was a PC I built after a couple of years (probably my fault by OC'ing too much) and a Dell laptop.

Last edited:
I had two Dreamcasts die on me as a kid. Each one just stopped working altogether one day.

More recently, my ps4 fat was killed by Ghost of Tsushima + summer heat.

Soodanim

Gold Member
PS2, which I replaced with a slim model
PS3, which I replaced with a slim model

The PS2 died just before the Slim was released, I waited about a week or two for it and San Andreas to be released. It's still a marvel how small that thing is.

PS3 was a messier affair. Blowing a hairdryer in the back of the console (partially melting the vent in the process) gave me just enough life to back up saves.

sinnergy

Xbox 360
PS3
Wii

All launch models . On Wii, they forgot to hook up the fan, so console over-heated .X360 RROD, PS3 disc drive not reading

Last edited:

T-0800

From Atari 2600 in 1982 until PS5 in 2023 the only one that stopped working was my Xbox 360. The funny things is I hardly used ti.

Gp1

Console? Just an unlocked Ps1 with a bad optical drive after some rough years of service.

In last decade, on the gpu side of the fence though... EVGA gtx560 with a busted capacitor after 4 years and a MSI gtx970 with really bad case of coil whining.

I've owned pretty much every console since the early 90's, never had a malfunction. I didn't play much PS1 or PS2 though, but anyway.

I got the PS3 and XBOX360 mid-generation, that might have helped.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
My old PS3 fat died on me. Can't even remember what the problem was exactly now, just that it wouldn't turn on and give a beeping signal instead. I tossed it out a year after that when I was moving and only saved the hard drive. Now I have a different one, super slim this time.

Bojji

Surprisingly... None.

PSX (2001) - used it for 2 years, nothing bad happened, then sold it
PS2 1 (2003) - same as with PSX
PS2 2 (2005) - slim model, good
PS3 1 (2009) - fat model 80GB, ok
X360 (2010) - last original model, no problems
PS4 (2015) - no problem other than ultra loud noise (bought it used) but I changed thermal paste and it was much better
PS3 2 (?) - super slim model, everything ok then sold it
PS4 Pro (2020) - great but loud
PS3 3 (?) - slim model 3xxx, the best PS3 model IMO, no problems
PS5 (2021) - so far so good
XSX (2022) - perfectly fine, sold it two months ago because I didn't really need it with PS5 and PC

kunonabi

Just my PS1, Slim PS2, PS4, and a X360. I think my fat ps2 might be dead too but considering I got it used back when most new ps2s were dying on a regular basis shortly after launch the fact that it lasted till 2022 is impressive.

Had a couple broken dreamcasts but that was because of madcatz and their godawful controllers frying the controller ports. PoS company.

My 2009 Xbox 360 packed it in this summer, I barely used it after 2012 but now it RRODs . Still not convinced it’s not just the PSU tho…

My Switch is an absolute lemon when it comes it’s joycons but still powers on and plays game without issue.

When I was very young my first NES was a used giveaway. It wouldn’t play games at all so I took it apart and pushed on the pins to the cartridge slot. Inserted LoZ to test and it stated to work, played many games from then on after.

SiahWester

Had to send my ps3 in for a bad blue ray drive and of course tons of bad joycons due to drift.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

I feel like I’ve been pretty lucky in 36 years of having only my OG Xbox 360 disc tray stop working towards the end of the generation. My one friend went through a RROD, a YLOD PS3, and his Switch screen shit the bed.
My ps3 started turning off...
BTW the disc tray just needs a rubber band to be replaced. This isn't really an issue.

DryvBy

A Dreamcast quit reading discs, I had 3 Xbox 360s RROD and my last one has some weird jet engine sound, and I had a PS3 break but that was my fault.

CeeJay

None, the closest thing was when I plugged the wrong power supply into my ZX Spectrum and fried it but that was entirely self inflicted. I've had multiple consoles over the years and all have been issue free beyond blowing dust out of the cartridge slot every now and then.

Top Bottom