• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many your consoles malfunctioned?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I've had a Wii brick itself and a 360 that just appeared to start degrading (worse and worse performance in same games).

Not really a console, but I've had GB, SNES and N64 games that I might have no treated perfectly (being a kid and all) and thus stopped working.

Last edited:

KiteGr

2 ps3s YLODed.
2/3 Dual Sense controllers drifted.
Half of my old Dual Shock 4 controllers malfunction in some way or another.
A PSP bricked at some point.
2 fat PS2s started not reading/scratching disks.

Ultra Donny

I have had all consoles from Microsoft and Sony since OG xbox and Ps2. The only one that have broken down is my series x. Some issue with the heating. Got a new one.

_Ex_

In all the consoles I've owned, and that's a hell of a lot starting with the Atari 2600 back in the '80s, the only console that malfunctioned was an OG Xbox. And that was its disc drive. I had to replace that disc drive three times, but the console still works today. Thankfully all the rest did well with many still in use today.

nes - cartridge boot/read issues
snes - cartridge boot/read issues
genesis - cartridge boot/read issues
x360 - RROD
x1x - whining sound

on a positive note: fat ps3 still going strong.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
My launch day ps5 did. It would green screen and crash pretty often and the coil whine was outrageous. Luckily they were able to send me a new one within a week. Aside from that, I lost a ps3 to a lightning strike in my parents front yard when I lived there a long time ago. We also lost 2 TVs, washer/dryer, stove, and microwave.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Saw a 360 arcade edition fail out of the box doesn’t mean it’s a bad console it means I had a bad console.

midnightAI

PS1 had the infamous stop reading discs unless you turn it upside down fault, PS Vita left stick stopped working, PS3 drive stopped working after my son (around 3 yes only at the time) decided to put around 5 discs into the slot.

NeonDelta

Ps2 disc tray failure
Xbox 360 RROD
PS3 yellow light of death but it was only a couple of years ago it happened

Think that’s it and I’ve owned everything other than Dreamcast and Wii u

I got YLOD on my launch PS3, and my memory card port went out on my original PS2. I fixed the PS2 but when the PS3 failed I didn't know much and bought an Uncharted Slim bundle instead.

Dr_Ifto

My OG nintendo, and OG ps2 crapped out, I had a PS3 where the laser stopped working but I replaced that and it worked fine. Other than that, everything else is still running in some form. Controllers are a different story.

PS1 died, laser could no longer read discs. Got a PSone after that. Never had a problem after that though.
Even when flipped upside down?

Last edited:

ssringo

Going back to the Atari 2600: zero failures. Don't own most of them anymore so I'm sure they died at some point but not while I owned them. Pretty sure my old NES/SNES would still work if I pulled them out of storage and hooked them up.

Controllers, however, are a different story...

Unknown?

My OG nintendo, and OG ps2 crapped out, I had a PS3 where the laser stopped working but I replaced that and it worked fine. Other than that, everything else is still running in some form. Controllers are a different story.

Even when flipped upside down?
Didn't know that trick back then unfortunately.

Esca

I've owned most consoles and none have had issues on me besides the 360. After it's 3rd rrod I got rid of it and never looked back

CobraAB

I had a bad launch PS2 right out of the box. It’s funny because it’s the only time I ever paid for a protection plan. Was able to change it out at Electronics Boutique the same day. Well, I was dating the manager there at the time so that might have helped too. 😛

Unknown?

I had a bad launch PS2 right out of the box. It’s funny because it’s the only time I ever paid for a protection plan. Was able to change it out at Electronics Boutique the same day. Well, I was dating the manager there at the time so that might have helped too. 😛
Launch PS2? You're lucky there was stock to replace it with!

Stamps1646

Xbox 360: Elite Edition x1, Disc Drive melted(rip Gears of War 1 disc), internals overheated/fire *2 months old* MS did send me a new Xbox360 next-day service with a new copy of GoW.
PlayStation 4 OG x1, defected power adapter, melted back of the unit. * 1 year old* Sold replaced unit and purchased a PS4 Pro, I still use it to this day to play Bloodborne*
PlayStation 5 x1, defected internal board, overheated *1 month old* *Sold my replacement unit*

Filldo

Got my first console in 1987 NES.

I've had 3 issues, 2 xbox 360s got RROD and I returned and got replaced so one time that a warranty actually paid off. OG PS3 also bit the dust and I had to replace with a slim. Other than those 3, I've never had issues through NES, SNES, Playstation 1,2,3,4,5 VITA, PSP, Gameboy Color and now PSVR2. So pretty lucky overall!!

Launch Day PS2 stopped reading dvds, 360 RROD a couple times. Fat Day One Xbox One came out of the box with gpu problems. Never had any issues with Dreamcast or GameCube. Launch Series X and PS5 still good, switch also good.

DukeOfX

Neo Member
Sega CD model 1, fried motherboard. Original PS3, YLOD after 6 years. Xbox One S, micro power button snapped off inside, has to take it apart to replace. Nintendo 3DS first gen, stopped reading gamecards.

Owned the following:

PlayStation - No issues.

PlayStation One - No issues.

PS2 - No issues.

PS2 Slim - Disc drive issues. Chucked in the bin.

PS3 Slim - No issues.

Xbox 360 - Red ring popped up once. Turned it off and was afraid to turn it on again. Turned it on 2 days later and no issues until I sold it a year later. Otherwise solid console.

Xbox 360 Slim - No issues. Loved the design and quiet operation. The power touch button and sound when turning on is sex.

PS4 Pro - Sounded like a jet engine so its an issue. Opened it up to clean it and wrecked it myself which is another issue becuase i had to open the damn thing to unclog the vents :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

Xbox Series S - No issues.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The only ones ever were my Xbox 360 which RROD’d and my launch PS3 with full bc which had a faulty graphics chip, a defect that only appeared in more taxing games.

In hindsight it’s crazy how that generation pushed the envelope to a literal breaking point. Both consoles were insanely ambitious, a quantum leap.

Sojiro

I have only had two consoles with issues bad enough to make it not usable anymore (not counting Joycons), the PS1 (launch model) and the fat PS2 (also launch model).

The PS1 was the somewhat common issue of the lens degrading over time, and it skipping and failing to read discs. Turning it upside down helped for a good while, but eventually that stopped working too. Thankfully it lasted until I got my PS2 so I never replaced the unit.

With the PS2, my console started to scratch my discs in a perfect circle in the same spot on the disc. This happened a couple months after the first year warranty expired, so it cost me nearly 200 bucks to send it in and have Sony fix the issue. I used to use the console standing a lot, so I don't know if that is what caused it, but after getting it back I kept it horizontal from then out, and it still works today.

So far nothing else has any major issue, my GameCube, N64, Dreamcast, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, Switch and various mini consoles still work fine. I do need to replace my Dreamcast's CMOS battery, but I am comfortable opening devices to do that now than when I was younger.

Last edited:

Evildoomnerd

Neo Member
~My PS2's disc drive crapped out in 2002. Mailed off and repaired for free.
~A Launch day PS3 Motherboard warped in 2009. Took it to a Mom&Pop repair shop. They couldn't fix it, but they did sell me a slim PS3 at a heavy discount.
~A Nintendo DSlite with a cracked hinge in 2008. Repaired for free.

Nok Su Kow

I had a couple of power packs from the NES/SNES era die on me consoles were fine though and an Xbox 360 E74'd itself

worst for me was PS1 I had about 4 of them by the time it was all said and done

Kdad

2 out of 6 PS3 YLOD within warranty
PS4 is now shutting down after 10 minutes so will get it cleaned and repasted

Multiple of each other generation was fine.

All various Nindendos have been fine

dave_d

Well at least one now. Looks like the drive in my PS3 (60gb fat) just died. I'm guessing it's the laser since I can hear the disc spin. Anybody replace a laser/drive in one of these? (I know, in theory I could play my PS1/PS2/PS3 discs on emulators. I'm thinking it might be worth it to just fix the drive.)

No Issues- NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy SP, PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PS3, PS4, 3DS

Issues- PS1 (stopped working after 3 years), Xbox 360 (4 Red Rings of Death), Switch (Joycon drifting, Random Shutdown)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Only my original Gameboy which got vertical lines on the screen and my original Playstation. I think stuff got stacked on it and it pressed down the hard rubber piece that the disc sits on. This would have been fine but underneath there was a round-top screw that should have been flat top so it was scraping on that. Fixing it was very simple, I just slid a knife in there to raise the ring back up, but before that I had completely disassemble the machine to find out why it had to play upside down to have normal load times. Wasn’t hard to put all back together.

Had an OG 360 that I bought second hand at GameStop. The thing should’ve died long before it did but it RROD’d playing RE5 mercenaries. I got it fixed for free within warranty and it kept ticking up until Metal Gear Rising came out, then the disc tray started having issues with sticking closed (had to use a butter knife to open it). Finally got a 360 slim so I wouldn’t have to deal with it.

Had a Wii that had a disc reading problem (it stopped reading Wii discs, but could still read GC discs for some reason). Called Nintendo and got it fixed for only $50 so that wasn’t bad.

Had a PSP just die randomly on me. It was the cool camo one that came with MGS Peacewalker. They wanted $150 to fix it and wouldn’t honor my warranty, so I never got it fixed. Peacewalker ended up coming to 360/PS3 anyways so it was really just a waste of money in hindsight.

Muffdraul

Never had an issue with consoles dying until the CD ROM era. Many, many dead Playstations over the years, all generations except PS5, so far. A few dead Xboxes, again all gens except Series X. One dead Gamecube. My Saturn and Dreamcast never died. My Wii and Wii U never died. Still on my launch Switch.

Pretty sure it all comes down to usage time. My Playstations die because I work them like dogs. My other consoles live because I only play them when I feel guilty for making them feel lonely and unwanted.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Ps1 stopped reading discs unless i flipped it upside down

360 RROD

That’s it. I think my CFW Vita is bricked too but that’s my fault lol.

Ansphn

I had the PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSVita and none has malfunctioned on me

Had Original Xbox, 360, XB One, and Xbox SX and the only one that went out was the 360. Had 4 RROD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom