• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how much time do you usually spend playing games?

how much time do you spend on a game session?

• 1-5 hours

Votes: 86 72.3%
  • 5-10 hours

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • 10-20 hours

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 20-30 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-40 hours

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • even more than that

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • less than 1 hour

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters

ReBurn

Gold Member
Probably about an hour. When I was younger I'd spend 12+ hours at a time. Games these days can't hold my attention like in the past. So many games play exactly the same way and if I want a story it's less of a time investment to just watch a movie.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Who would casually play more than a couple hours at a time?!

During the week, maybe 2-3 per week, on week end 6 hours a day at most. Sometime much less.

reinking

Gold Member
I used to be in the 5-10 and would often creep into the 10-20 when I was playing online MMOs or Counter-Strike. These days I am lucky to play 1-2 hours at a time. If I have a turn-based game on the second monitor it can go all day but I do not think that should count since it is really just sitting there running in the background for the most part. Ironically, I was much busier with my life during the time I was playing longer gaming sessions. Having insomnia helped. :)

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Back in the day, 8 hours+

Now even if i have the free time, probably around 1-2 hours (if the game is really good)

Depression is a bitch.

Last edited:

decisions

Unclear if OP is asking about how many hours you put into each game on average or how many hours you play for a single sitting.

Last edited:
Currently I play from 9pm to 11:30pm most nights.

I’ve recently the chance to do all-dayers like I used to back in the day but I don’t feel good afterwards lol.

I think my current pace is on the edge of what I consider harmless.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I rarely have the time and energy to play for more than 2 hours. Usually it’s less than that.
There’s the rare addictive game when I’ll forfeit sleep and stuff to keep playing for as long as possible, though. Elden Ring was the last game where I did this, with 7/8-hour sessions.

Bartski

Gold Member
There are times I hardly touch the controller for days or even weeks due to work.
My more casual gamepass gaming can be anywhere between half an hour to two but I'm usually too tired to keep going.

But when something I'm super stoked for comes out, I book a day off or two and do an all weekender. That's waay more than 40h with nap breaks.
So that equates to around 19hrs straight draining 2 controllers and 5hrs of sleep which can go for days.

Last edited:
Depends on the game. I put more time into Bethesda games, large-scope adventures, Nintendo's big releases, big JRPGs, new racing game releases like Forza Horizon or Motorsport, etc, than I do into anything else and in pretty solid stretches too, when Starfield comes out I'll probably have that hooked to my veins and need to remind myself to get up and do other shit like eat, sleep and go to work. I do tend to break things up though. Play for a while then get up and take on something else for a bit. I'm not pissing in jugs here. Lately I've been pouring more hours into building models since my friend finally moved out of the basement and I have an entire room dedicated to it. That is a major time vampire, I can start scribing panel lines in the evening and before know it it's past midnight. I've also been putting a bunch of time into the Saturn since my brother just had it modded and he's in town. Most of those games are a couple of hours tops so there's no danger of looking up at the clock and realizing it's tomorrow.

TrueLegend

My god so many of you are weaklings. I platinumed sekiro in one sitting in about 32 hours although I use the word platinum for steam and Xbox achievements too. I did SOTFS in 4 sittings for a total of around 47 hours and I remember doing dark souls 3 in two sittings.

I did Guardians of the Galaxy in three sittings and well then there is Elden Ring and then their is combo hellhole of DMC5 where I feel like I spend eternity only to topped by Skyrim modding that was insane as I modded n tested game for nearly a month with just food n washroom breaks. I would have done Ragnarok in one go this holiday but I binged two seasons of only murders in the building.

Now I can see why you guys are so up and about those proxy 1200p 1440p 1800p console wars although I do think 1800p look neat. I play on 4K and sometimes I switch to 1800p if the GPU ain't cutting it.

tommib

How does one even play a game for more than 40 hours straight?
Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

LOL

200.gif

After about 2-3 hours I need a break for a bit. Some gaffers putting in work!
The longest gaming session I've ever done was probably 14 to 16 hours playing GTA4 on release. I drank copious amounts of coffee and played through the day into the following afternoon until my driving lesson. My head was absolutely Fucked and so was my driving lesson!😛

pop art loop GIF by Dax Norman

Last edited:

marquimvfs

2 to 3 hours a session. But the number of sessions is shrinking considerably as I become older. Maybe 2 to 3 sessions a week.

Last edited:

Deerock71

1-5 hours is the difference between an episode of Game of Thrones and watching Laurence of Arabia, for crying out loud, but I had to pick it even though I hardly ever game more than one or two hours.

Shifty1897

These days, 1-2 hours max. In high school I would stay at a friend's house and we would stay up all night playing Final Fantasy Tactics, just passing the controller back and forth between battles.

I think my all-time record was right around 14 hours in one sitting (but playing multiple games). That was over ten years ago. Nowadays, I can only game when/ if the kids go to sleep early and when I and the wife don't work early the next morning, so about one or two hours 3-4 times a week. Wish I could do more (and sometimes I do).

BossLackey

Gold Member
What are these poll options?

Probably 90 minutes for the average session.

20 min of a Shmup/Beat ‘em up/Run ‘n Gun/Rogue Like happens often though.

Rarely, when Im fully engrossed in a game, will I play 4-8 hours in a session.

Top Bottom