• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much would you pay for a 10/10 or 11/10 game?

What's the MOST you'd pay for a masterpiece game

• $50

• $60

• $70

• $80

• $90

• $100

• $110

• $120

• $130

• $140

• $150+

Results are only viewable after voting.
When you think back to your favorite games of all time, what's the most you would have paid to play them if you knew the impact and enjoyment you'd get out of them?

I think of games like Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy X, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Zelda A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World.

Personally, I think if a publisher is confident their game is the end all be all, I don't think they should feel compelled to max the price out according to other games.

If I knew what Chrono Trigger was going to be, I'd probably buy it for 100 dollars if not more. It's worth more than 2 average games for me. I still play SOTN and Super Metroid to this day.

I think we need tiered pricing rather than MTX, DLC, and GaaS. I think publishers need to have a better understanding of what they have in a game and price games accordingly. I think games don't need to be 40 hours to be worth full price, especially when it is all padding. Metal Gear Solid takes 12 hours to beat. It's a game that will live with me forever. And the thing is if you have a masterpiece on your hands, you can always drop the price/discount the game whenever you want and if it's just an average game, maybe you're better off selling it for 40 dollars or even 20 dollars.

I don't think the industry has found the right answer around monetization and value and they're trying with deluxe editions and early access, but many of us aren't falling for that trick (many of us are).

FF7R could have been released in 3-4 chapters, once a year, with each chapter releasing for 80 bucks without padding, and I think it would have been a success, mind you I don't like the direction they took the game in, but that's something you can figure out with episodic gaming.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've paid 50-60-70 for 10/10 games.
Don't see a reason for it to go higher
edit: to elaborate. If 15h game can be 10/10 for 60$, then of course if that 10/10 game will be 100 hours, it MUST be more expensive... that's why I dont want bloated, too big games

Last edited:

Arcadialane

R.4e9f7e2a0679dd7a7981e39e499481ac

same as any game, i dont care what a score a reviewer gives it - opinions are like arseholes, full of shit.

if i like the look of a game, i will play it regardless of scores.

I didn't say from a reviewer, I meant from your perspective personally and individually.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I would easily spend $1,000 dollars on a Fortnite arcade cabinet if the game wasn't available elsewhere. That title has provided me more entertainment value than perhaps all the games I've ever purchased. It's that damn good.

Killjoy-NL

Is the question how much more we are willing to pay for a perfect game over any other game?
If so, why would I want to pay more? It's just a game like any other.

At most, I'll wait for a discount if I don't think a game is worth the full price.

so we should retrospectively pay for a game based on our own scoring after finishing it?

Obviously, no one is going to retroactively pay for a game, but if a publisher is able to create a game that they believe is a masterpiece should the game be capped at the current standard price for games or is there a greater price cap for games that go above and beyond the standard entry?

When we look back at games that we've enjoyed, it's clear we all have games that fit in that category, so if a future game came out matching that quality and impact, would you be opposed to paying more for it? And how much would you be willing to pay?

BlackTron

I do remember thinking that I would gladly pay a hefty price for a good sequel that lived up to a game instead of what we got.

Killjoy-NL

Obviously, no one is going to retroactively pay for a game, but if a publisher is able to create a game that they believe is a masterpiece should the game be capped at the current standard price for games or is there a greater price cap for games that go above and beyond the standard entry?

When we look back at games that we've enjoyed, it's clear we all have games that fit in that category, so if a future game came out matching that quality and impact, would you be opposed to paying more for it? And how much would you be willing to pay?
That wouldn't make sense, because what you're describing is exactly what I, as a consumer, expect with every single release.

25 USD tops. Maybe 30 USD if it comes with secrets and cheat codes. Anything above that is just bloated project scopes with useless shit tacked onto the game like an entire orchestra recording the OST or a famous actor donating his resemblence to a character. Also I don't need 5 trillion squaremiles of empty nothingness in my "open" world.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
A live-service game with 3-5 years of monthly free content, like maps, weapons and characters?

$150+ easily

Killjoy-NL

Every time you buy a game you're expecting it to be in your top 10-20 of all time? That's the standard expectation of every single release?
Yes, I expect it every single time. It has nothing to do with being realistic either, because obviously a 10/10 game won't ever exist.

So if a developer delivers on it's promises and shows improvement, or at least stays consistent, with every game, I'll keep buying their games until they get as close to that 10/10 as possible. Or until they show a steady decline.
New IPs get the benefit of the doubt.

Seems like any consumer would think like that.
So it shouldn't be a matter of a 10/10 being worth extra money, but if a non-10/10 is worth full price.

Imo.

Last edited:

bobone

I pre-ordered the special edition of Elden Ring. It didnt ship yet on launch day so I bought a digital copy for $60.
Special edition arrived a week or so later.
So about $300 total?

Worth every penny.
But there is no other series I trust to do that with.
I might do the same with Elder Scrolls 6. But I'm questioning that after seeing Starfield.

Yes, I expect it every single time. It has nothing to do with being realistic either, because obviously a 10/10 game won't ever exist.

So if a developer delivers on it's promises and shows improvement, or at least stays consistent, with every game, I'll keep buying their games until they get as close to that 10/10 as possible. Or until they show a steady decline.
New IPs get the benefit of the doubt.

Seems like any consumer would think like that.
So it shouldn't be a matter of a 10/10 being worth extra money, but if a non-10/10 is worth full price.

Imo.

What are your favorite games of all time? Are they worth the price you pay for average games? If your argument is that the other games aren't worth that price, is your argument that you don't pay full price for those games?

It seems like you've arbitrarily concluded that most games aren't worth full price but some games are, but if that price had been higher, would they be worth the higher price or not?

OrtizTwelve

Thread seems like a trap.

Nothing more than the standard price is the only correct answer here.

Bingo. $59.99 is the ceiling for me as it has been the historical norm more or less. The current industry trend of $69.99 video games is absurd, especially when "AAA" tier games are mostly mediocre and unpolished at release.

Varteras

Gold Member
In some ideal world where I could play a game first, and be magically compelled to pay for it based on how I scored it in my head, a perfect game would be worth $100 to me. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna start paying $100 up front just because a developer released a bomb ass game 5 to 10 years ago or others THINK their game is the shit.

acm2000

so we should trust the actual publisher of a game as to the quality of it? you think any publisher is gonna say "well shit, this crap is 6/10, $30 and its yours"

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
In a way, I've paid $400, $500, and ~$2000 dollars to play 9/10 games by buying an Xbox (for Halo), PS5 (for Demon's Souls), and new PC (for Cyberpunk), respectively, so I'd easily pay $150+ for a perfect game.

Tough to say

I've gotten hundreds of hours from Age of Empires2, Starcraft/Brood War, Red Alert
I've gotten thousands of hours from Civ games, Cities Skylines, Stellaris

Would I feel short changed from any of these games if I spent £100? Not at all. I'd happily pay that or more now, knowing that I've gotten such entertainment from them. But paying £100 up front at the time for them, I probably wouldn't have picked them up

But knowing now that I like certain games/genres, if Starcraft3 came out, or a back to basics C&C, Stellaris2 or whatever, I admit that I'd have no issues dropping £100 for them

Killjoy-NL

What are your favorite games of all time? Are they worth the price you pay for average games? If your argument is that the other games aren't worth that price, is your argument that you don't pay full price for those games?
I think you're asking the wrong question:
Do I regret spending full price on games that aren't 10/10?

In 99% of the cases I'd say no.
The rare case would be something like Destiny, where they suddenly decide to scrap half the content post-release.

And in case I already know I a game won't be worth full price to me, I'll wait for a discount or skip it entirely. But I already said that.
It seems like you've arbitrarily concluded that most games aren't worth full price but some games are, but if that price had been higher, would they be worth the higher price or not?
No, I rarely regret buying a game full price, as I explained above.

But I don't understand the question, because I already explained it.
In fact, I never worry about a game's price, because money is meant to be spent. That's why I don't regret buying games at full price.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

70 is the max Ill pay for a base game. I don't care if it's 10/10 on metacritic, I wont know if its a 10/10 for me until I play it, and I won't buy it for more than $70 for the base game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
70 is the max Ill pay for a base game. I don't care if it's 10/10 on metacritic, I wont know if its a 10/10 for me until I play it, and I won't buy it for more than $70 for the base game.
This, video games is just hobby I enjoy nothing more and nothing less, they are not my entire life that would spend crazy amount of money on them.

About $70/€70/£60. If it's a collection with multiple games like the FF Pixel Remaster then I can go up to $100/€100/£90 for the physical copy (shipping included).

Btw, for Elden Ring which was a 10 out of 10 for me I paid €50 day one and it even came with quite a few physical goodies.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Well, you know, I just paid €150 for a 7/10 remake of a 25 year old PSX game and I have no regrets, so make of that what you will.

Honestly don't really care about money these days, gaming is incredibly cheap compared to my other hobbies. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for more expensive games. Cheaper is better. But to me personally, I don't really care. I'd easily pay a €100 for the new Paper Mario remake as I know that game is gonna give me a great 30+ hours.

Can't justify paying full price for a game these days. Did it so much when I was younger. I tend to wait for a game to go on sale. Which most do after 6 months.

A game like gta6 then sure. Buy day one why not. But if 70 is the standard for a new game then that is what I would pay. If we ever have a day where new releases are 100 bucks as standard? Nah too much.

Top Bottom