• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much would you pay for a 10/10 or 11/10 game?

What's the MOST you'd pay for a masterpiece game

• $50

• $60

• $70

• $80

• $90

• $100

• $110

• $120

• $130

• $140

• $150+

Results are only viewable after voting.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
25 USD tops. Maybe 30 USD if it comes with secrets and cheat codes. Anything above that is just bloated project scopes with useless shit tacked onto the game like an entire orchestra recording the OST or a famous actor donating his resemblence to a character. Also I don't need 5 trillion squaremiles of empty nothingness in my "open" world.
I almost feel like I'd rather pay more to get games to be shorter and not filled with awful, unappealing crap. I start getting pissed off at games that are too long and then rush to the ending. Filler content is bullshit.

Aenima

1*sQP-pflZr6j-gmjBou0Eww.png
This is me for Digital games. I never pay more than 20€.

For physical games that i buy at launch, dosent matter if they are 10/10 or 7/10 games, max i pay is around 60-65€. With the price hike to 80€ alot of games got this gen, i lost the FOMO to buy games at launch so this year i only bought 1 game at Launch (FF16), and the next day 1 purchase on my radar is LaD Infinite Weath in 2024. So in reality all these prices hikes did was saving me money, as i used to buy most of my games day 1.

Last edited:
I mean - it's hard to know that in advance of playing it really. There are several games I can think of that, retrospectively, I'd fork over 100 USD or more for if I had to, but I wouldn't have known that going in.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Most games I would still wait for a discount regardless of the review scores. I don't experience FOMO anymore and just because a game reviews well doesn't mean it's worth more money or that I'm going to like it.

Back in the SNES days I did pay more. I paid $75 for Street Fighter II on SNES which is $170 in today's money. Spent $70 on Strider on Genesis and $70 for Prince of Persia on SNES. I won't do that any more. My cap is $40 unless the let's play videos rope me in.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
last 10/10 game i played was red dead redemption 2. $80 is the value i’d put that game at, most games should sit at around $30 honestly.

mitch1971

Every game I've played over the last 3 years has been on ps plus or around 5 quid. I ain't paying double figures for games anymore. That's what happens when you cheapen games.

PotatoBoy

I think you guys are proving why games are shit now. If Smash Bros Ultimate cost $1000 and a hand-written love letter to Sakurai it would be more than worth it.

On the other hand, I "bought" Starfield on gamepass for ten bucks and it still keeps me up at night.

If a Kickstarter came out for a "true" Warcraft 4 that was going to recapture the energy of 2 and 3, I would chip in my entire gaming / console budget for the next 10 years. It's not like we have any "true" 10/10 games to look forward to anymore.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Anything over $100 CAD after tax is going to be wait for a sale. Don’t really care how good it is. Everything comes down eventually.

RavageX

$50. I get games on sale. I rarely if ever pay full price and that isnt going to change.

Games that have constant dlc....usually music games like Rocksmith and Rockband would see more money from me, maybe games that have exercise programs as well.

Expansions (on sale) only if I really like the game.

Yes and games costed nothing to develop back then.
True. But it could still be done (fx the 45 USD mark) if you were willing to play games that last not more than say 6-10 hours, aren't bloated with tons of filler bullshit content and have ridiculously expensive graphical features (assets creation etc.) as well as music licenses and stuff like that. I personally would be more than happy to accept this tradeoff since I care more about gameplay and creative ideas than about the size of the games world, the length of a playthrough or the amount of eyecandy I get. And don't get me started on orchestrated soundtracks. I have Spotify for that, thank you.

drezz

A 10/10 game for me??
Or 10/10 from IGN??

I've "Had" 10/10 games that I tought was 10/10 (Lou1+MP) that later got soured for golfing reasons...

At the time of lou1 I'd pay LOADS! of dollars Too experience a 10/10 game(WITH MP! I need Mp too pad my playtime and get my "moneies worth").

But 10/10 from IGN?
No Clue.
Games they have given 10's Ive skipped entirely, cause they just dont seems fun enough... Like SKYRIM and Zeldas.
I did not jump the boat and buy Skyrim at launch, but ended up buying a GOTY Edition during a Steam Christmas sale.
Was going to install some fun mods I saw online... but never did.
I never played Skyrim... So I could've saved me thoose 7-10 bucks for a 10/10 game I never played(I would not buy a 10/10 game even at 7-10 bucks(Even doh I did, just didnt play it))

OT: If the game is FOR ME and its 10/10
I'd pay 100+++ for it!
Its the best feeling falling in love with a game and being able too play it for a loooong time.
If its Raving reviews from other people... nah, not even spending a dollar... my TIME soobing infront of the PC and doomscrolling is worth more then that.
Not saying its Either A or B... but rarely do I find my self finding a 10/10 that reviews say is 10/10.

Fredrik

I could pay $150 for the best games on my all-time top list. Or more. I’ve played Elden Ring for 500 hours, $150 is cheap.

Problem is, I would never have played those games if they were sold at $150. I wouldn’t know they were worth the money unplayed. Sony games are $80 now in my country, even that is too much, gets me to avoid day 1 whenever possible. There needs to be an entry point low enough for me to give a game a chance, or demos for everything. Maybe $5 trial versions and $150 full games.

Standar msrp.
If its some of my fav 10/10 I buy it twice. We already know all of us are going to buy gta6 at least 3 times before 2030.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Being a Canadian, I already pay $100 for literally every single AAA game, no matter how trash it is.

back in the good old days, when games were just 60 bucks, I bought TLOU off someone a week early and I paid $100 for it. That seemed egregious. But it was my fav game of all time until PART II came out.

So yeah, if a game is truly special, I’ll pay a premium for it. But those games rarely exist anymore.

TLDR: They have to be once in a generation type games.

Goalus

There is an easy way of making me pay more than $20 for (any) game that I really want.

Never drop the price.
I am currently playing Outriders and will soon switch to Remnant from the Ashes (recently bought the complete edition for 17.49 € including tax).

What do these games have in common?
They're not brand-new. I have a huge backlog, so I will always have games to play, and while I do, the once brand-new games that I am interested in become older and cheaper.

If those games were still $70 after five years and it was likely that the price won't be lowered, I'd pay that price eventually. Even better, I would buy games on day 1 then. I just need to be sure that the price won't ever drop.

SHA

What's 10/10, Someone's opinion? no, my library will be worse if I made choices based on that, seriously, you can't even imagine doing that.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
As much a they ask as long as I want it day one, else I'd wait for a sale as always.

Until now only Nintendo has made me pay full price and buy day one, they're in their own league.

PanzerCute

True. But it could still be done (fx the 45 USD mark) if you were willing to play games that last not more than say 6-10 hours, aren't bloated with tons of filler bullshit content and have ridiculously expensive graphical features (assets creation etc.) as well as music licenses and stuff like that. I personally would be more than happy to accept this tradeoff since I care more about gameplay and creative ideas than about the size of the games world, the length of a playthrough or the amount of eyecandy I get. And don't get me started on orchestrated soundtracks. I have Spotify for that, thank you.
We kinda were in this situation during PS360 era and everyone was complaining that the games were too short for their price.

And why should we only play short AAA games? Don't you like complex, long and immersive RPGs?

I respect your opinion, but I would never accept such a trade off, and no I am not a graphics whore at all. But I also know that AAA games development is not sustainable and that it is not up only to the player to pay the bill.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
$60-$70. I don’t think introducing tiers would accurately reflect a change in quality. I’m okay with the thought of having tiers in terms of indie, AA, and AAA.Game development is costly and these publishers are bold though.

I’ve seen it on the Japanese PSN and I don’t want that. It seems like you pay more depending on the IP.

There has been an odd amount of threads lately where it seems people want to pay more for games.

It's not about wanting to pay more, it's about wanting to keep these experiences happening and the way the industry is going, I think they're going to be fewer and further between.

Reactions: SHA

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It's not about wanting to pay more, it's about wanting to keep these experiences happening and the way the industry is going, I think they're going to be fewer and further between.

Unfortunately it would be impossible to have a separate pricing tier for masterpiece games. Every dev would just claim their game was a masterpiece and charge the full price from day 1.

In general it doesnt make sense to pay 1 dollar/Euro/pound or whatever more for any game until predatory DLC/MTX/lootboxes/preorder bonuses are gone from games. If games didnt have those elements I would happily pay more. But as it stands now they just want to jack up the price of games while still making money on the back end with all that add on BS.

Unfortunately it would be impossible to have a separate pricing tier for masterpiece games. Every dev would just claim their game was a masterpiece and charge the full price from day 1.

In general it doesnt make sense to pay 1 dollar/Euro/pound or whatever more for any game until predatory DLC/MTX/lootboxes/preorder bonuses are gone from games. If games didnt have those elements I would happily pay more. But as it stands now they just want to jack up the price of games while still making money on the back end with all that add on BS.

I don't think that's true.

You could charge for games based on tiers of A, AA, AAA, and AAAA

And reviews would still help guide people as to worth as would word of mouth

My hope is that the AAAA tier would not include and MTX and other predatory practices.

NahaNago

In a way, I've paid $400, $500, and ~$2000 dollars to play 9/10 games by buying an Xbox (for Halo), PS5 (for Demon's Souls), and new PC (for Cyberpunk), respectively, so I'd easily pay $150+ for a perfect game.
I bought a new gaming pc for ff14 when it first came out and next year I plan on buying a new gaming pc when the new ff14 expansion comes out next year. I don't think right now there is any other single game I would buy a console for though.

My cap right now is $120 for just the game. Thankfully that price won't be a thing/norm for a very long time.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What's 10/10, Someone's opinion? no, my library will be worse if I made choices based on that, seriously, you can't even imagine doing that.
Its your opinion... 10/10 in your opinion. Would you pay 100 for a game YOU think is a 10/10 or 11/10

Top Bottom