• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much would you pay for a 10/10 or 11/10 game?

What's the MOST you'd pay for a masterpiece game

• $50

• $60

• $70

• $80

• $90

• $100

• $110

• $120

• $130

• $140

• $150+

Results are only viewable after voting.

SHA

Its your opinion... 10/10 in your opinion. Would you pay 100 for a game YOU think is a 10/10 or 11/10
Logically speaking, this condition will exist only with the absence of older games, cause there's nothing wrong with them, I missed a lot of older games, older games takes %80 of my interest, the rest for the latest games if there's something worthwhile, I'll pay 80 usd for that if proved something worthy.

Del_X

Rockstar could charge $100 for GTA VI and get away with it. I kinda would like to see that happen just to see how people would react.

I think higher prices (to a point) are the only way to sustainably make AAA games on that scale before a 100M combined PC and console install base capable of minimum requirements.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Price and quality don’t go hand in hand.

I put $60 as more of do not want to exceed because I paid $110 for MK1 and got ripped off.

I'd pay $20-30, but then also, if it's a game I really get into and it has a bunch of DLC, I'll pay for that as well. I wouldn't pay $70 for a new base game like I would have 30 years ago (in 30 years ago currency... games now are dirt cheap). I have so many games in my backlog that I never even look at games on day 1.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
When you think back to your favorite games of all time, what's the most you would have paid to play them if you knew the impact and enjoyment you'd get out of them?

I think of games like Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy X, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Zelda A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World.

Personally, I think if a publisher is confident their game is the end all be all, I don't think they should feel compelled to max the price out according to other games.

If I knew what Chrono Trigger was going to be, I'd probably buy it for 100 dollars if not more. It's worth more than 2 average games for me. I still play SOTN and Super Metroid to this day.

I think we need tiered pricing rather than MTX, DLC, and GaaS. I think publishers need to have a better understanding of what they have in a game and price games accordingly. I think games don't need to be 40 hours to be worth full price, especially when it is all padding. Metal Gear Solid takes 12 hours to beat. It's a game that will live with me forever. And the thing is if you have a masterpiece on your hands, you can always drop the price/discount the game whenever you want and if it's just an average game, maybe you're better off selling it for 40 dollars or even 20 dollars.

I don't think the industry has found the right answer around monetization and value and they're trying with deluxe editions and early access, but many of us aren't falling for that trick (many of us are).

FF7R could have been released in 3-4 chapters, once a year, with each chapter releasing for 80 bucks without padding, and I think it would have been a success, mind you I don't like the direction they took the game in, but that's something you can figure out with episodic gaming.
But......isnt this pretty subjective? Like, journalists can say a game is 10/10 and the gamer could completely disagree. Happens all the time.

Humdinger

I'm a little confused on the premise. Is the 10/10 a critic rating, or is that my own personal rating? Because there are plenty of 10/10 "masterpieces" that I wouldn't pay a dime for, simply because I'm not interested, or I don't like the style, or whatever. But if it's a 10/10 for me -- a near-perfect game, for me -- then that's different.

If the latter, then I'd say maybe $100 -- although I would have to know, somehow in advance, that the game really is a 10/10 for me. Not just rated 10/10 and called a "masterpiece" by someone else. But how would I know?

What I'm doing to answer the question is imagining my favorite game (Morrowind) and asking myself, how much would I pay to have that experience again, as if it were new? $100 at least. Probably more.

But......isnt this pretty subjective? Like, journalists can say a game is 10/10 and the gamer could completely disagree. Happens all the time.

I'm not sure how clear I needed to make it, but this is based on your own personal preference.

I swear communicating with some people is just so difficult because they're always looking for a reason to argue.

//DEVIL//

I never pay full price for a game. let them fuck off. doesn't have to be physically used. But I'll wait till it's reasonably cheap. if it 8 out of 10 games? 35$ max. 10 out of 10 games? 60$ max ( and I don't even pay that, to be honest )

I do not mind waiting 5 months after release or even 9 months to get it cheaper. this price structure they have with 100$ CAD for a game after tax can fuck off.

dude, I paid 4$ each for all the Yakuza games from 1 - 6 minus 6th one which I didn't get yet. when its cheap ill grab it

probably one of the main advantages to be a PC gamer as a main to be honest. you will never find these prices on the rip-off sony or MS store.

Kdad

$29..99 or less when it becomes a best seller. I'm patient.
Also, only on disc, fuck digital.

reinking

Gold Member
I have changed a lot. I voted $70 but I paid so much than that for titles importing games back in the 90's.

CashPrizes

If you told me Witcher 4 was coming out tomorrow, and it's writing was just as good if not better then 2 and 3s, the gameplay + graphics were even better, and the appropriate mods were already a part of the game (I would give base Witcher 3 on PC a 9.4 or something, with mods a 10.0) ..... I would probably pay $300 for that game if that is what they were asking. That would be a 300+ hour game easy.

Now lets says Last of Us 3 is coming out, and the writing is much improved and everything else is better too, I wouldn't pay $300 because even with 2-3 playthroughs I am getting less then 100 hours with it. I would probably pay $200 still. If it included Factions and it was an amazing version of Factions, then we could talk $300.

supernova8

Banned
Nice try, Capcom president
The One Support GIF by Olivia Lane

supernova8

Banned
It's not about wanting to pay more, it's about wanting to keep these experiences happening and the way the industry is going, I think they're going to be fewer and further between.
You haven't really explained how/why charging more than $70 (or whatever the standard is) per game would directly result in more of those GOAT titles. Surely all that would happen is that we'd get the same games as we have/are getting right now but the companies making them would generate larger profits.

However, the above is assuming that the exact same number of people who were willing to buy at $70 are also willing to buy at $100, which seems highly unlikely. In which case, sure they charge more per copy but sell fewer copies so the developer ends up with roughly the same amount of revenue and therefore profit, but fewer people got to experience the game.

If you logically think through what you're suggesting, it becomes clear that nothing good would happen.

Plus, people who (for some reason that is beyond me) feel like buying a higher tier edition of the game to "support the developers" already have the option to do that. Absolutely no need to raise the base price of any games.

Last edited:

Codes 208

TotK got my 70’s worth

But i would still prefer <$60

Though the most i spent was the $150 legendary edition of halo reach. Also worth it

Last edited:

Three

Thread seems like a trap.

Nothing more than the standard price is the only correct answer here.
I chose standard price too but if you think about it it's a legitimate question to find the maximum somebody would pay for the best quality. If some company invested a lot more time and money to make an '11/10' game why should the budget be limited by the 'standard price'? Equally sometimes ypu have very low budget games trying to charge the standard price too simply because it's "the standard".

Bodom78

No matter how great or even fondly remembered, I will always bargain hunt and pay the least possible amount and don't care about playing on day one.

mrmustard

Banned
No matter how great or even fondly remembered, I will always bargain hunt and pay the least possible amount and don't care about playing on day one.
Same. On the one hand it's sad that i'm 99% of the time not so excited for games anymore that i need them day1, on the other hand it's nice to save some serious money

Drizzlehell

Banned
30-40 bucks. That's an equivalent of 2008 prices of brand new games that I used to buy at local stores, adjusted for inflation. Hiking up the prices to 70-80 dollars today is a fucking scam.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If a proper MGS6 comes with Kojima behind it and a solid budget, I would easily pay $400 or more.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I usually never pay full price in games, always wait for better deals down the line. But if it's a game that I know will be good and I'm convinced, I pay the full price.

The only correct answer is $60/£50 which is the standard price for games. I’ve paid a bit extra when wanting some additional bits and pieces but for a standard game with no extras, £50.

Top Bottom