• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How proud are you when gaming?

How proud are you when gaming?

• Top proudness. If I don't find the solution myself I rather drop the game than look for it

• Very proud. I'd try for hours to find the solution by myself before looking for it

• Proud enough. Won't look for solutions until I'm a little stuck

• No at all proud. I'd look for guides while playing to save time and get the best path

• -10 proudness. I'll watch guides even before I start the game so I don't stumble upon any hard wall

Results are only viewable after voting.

.Pennywise

Banned
I don't know why, but I hate looking for guides. I'd be stuck for hours but in the end I find the solution by myself.

Only way I'd look for guides is if I'm not too invested in the game and a second run requires some obscure stuff to unlock things so I don't waste too much time.

How about you?

LordOfChaos

Gaming is for fun and my time is more limited as an adultey person. If I'm stuck for maybe 10, 15 minutes I'll probably look something up.

If it's just a boss I have to git good at I'll just throw myself at it for a while longer though, I mean more like I don't know where to go because the level design is shit

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Proud enough. Depending on the game.

Doom 2 really fucked me in the ass with the shitty map design.

"hit the blue fire to open a door"
"tp to the top of the skyscraper. After that turn sharp left and run over a cliff down to a building with an invisible wall to enter the exit zone."

I used three hours on that map and decided to run the while game through tutorial.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Uh, I can't say that "pride" has anything to do with it. But sure if I'm confused/lost/not figuring out a puzzle, I have no hesitation jumping on google. I value my time more than any misplaced sense of "gamer pride" which I kinda cringe just typing out right now.

Robb

Gold Member
I used to spend hours looking for solutions back in the day, but I don’t have that kind of time nowadays. Picked the middle option.

Very proud. I like games that are clear enough to be beaten without external help. Though for genres I'm less familiar with I reluctantly attempt to look up guides for online to help progress

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Depends.

I'll retry races when accidentally cutting corners no matter. I retry when I feel I'm cheesing.

Until I'm bored

Let's say I have a mindset of playing against myself? Fair is what I think is fair. My truth is what matters. But yeah looking up the occasional weird thing playing ER is very confusing

Last edited:
I hate using guides but I won't drop a game over using one unless the game is just full of indecipherable puzzles.

Using Tunic as an example since I just played it recently, I absolutely refused to use a guide, the in-game mechanic of the instruction manual pages explains everything you need to know and holds the key to every secret in the game. I played the entire game using only that but hen at the end of the game I could not figure out a part of the mountain door puzzle. It was was due to a bug in the PC Gamepass version where a save file trick doesn't work. If I had just dropped the game I would not have found out and would not have gotten 100% but looking up a guide immediately cleared that up.

Bartski

Gold Member
I like games that require effort and I just enjoy solving puzzles or finding ways to beat a challenge on my own, but what does it have to do with "pride" no idea, thats a f weird way to look at it.

BigBooper

So proud. I don't understand how people enjoy playing rpg's with a guide just so they get "the best ending." I will look up if I'm stuck at a specific problem though.

I will wander around aimlessly for hours rather than look something up. Then, I'll wander around for hours the next day trying to do the same thing lol.

Growing up occasionally I looked at a guide or two but I hated it even then, like I failed haha.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Depends. If it is some side quest shit then sometimes I don't bother after it being a hassle, proud enough. Main Story, top proudness.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm out and I'm proud.

But also a little disappointed the world doesn't celebrate gamer's awareness day. When people who can't get laid, get a day of their own these days, gamers certainly should get more recognition.

I hate using guides but I won't drop a game over using one unless the game is just full of indecipherable puzzles.

Using Tunic as an example since I just played it recently, I absolutely refused to use a guide, the in-game mechanic of the instruction manual pages explains everything you need to know and holds the key to every secret in the game. I played the entire game using only that but hen at the end of the game I could not figure out a part of the mountain door puzzle. It was was due to a bug in the PC Gamepass version where a save file trick doesn't work. If I had just dropped the game I would not have found out and would not have gotten 100% but looking up a guide immediately cleared that up.
Yeah this is the thing. If I end up looking something up these days it's probably going to be a bug or something stupid on the developers part.

Example, I tried for DAYS in the Witcher 2 to get something out of a dice game (the robed guy in flotsam's tavern) because he said he'd give you something nice but never did. Got fed up and looked it up, apparently cdpr forgot to take him out of the 360 release and he was there to give some promotion in the early days of the pc release.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resident Evil games, no guide whatsover. That stands for most survival horror games, if they're designed well you'll be able to figure it out. Sadly some of the indie Survival Horror games completely shit the bed in that regard. It's fun to think and work things out, it's not fun to scratch your head because the puzzle itself makes no sense. I'm looking at you Daymare 1998 and Sound of Horror.

Something like Elden Ring, I look up things here and there but mostly just to find where a specific item is, or what a certain item does. I rarely look up anything else. The game is big enough as it is, I don't want to wander incessantly trying to find something that might be on the other side of a map in a dungeon I haven't even uncovered.

I find that constantly looking at a guide just drags the game to a complete halt and completely removes the immersion. I used to do it as a kid for certain games but not anymore. You only get that first time experience once, I think it's best to put in a solid effort and to only use a guide if you're completely stumped.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'll look up obscure shit that nobody can be expected to understand or find out on their own (looking at you, FromSoft), but in general I stay away from guides.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Very much depends on the game. If I have a sense that the game is extremely well designed, and provides a fair set of circumstances to overcome that has been repeatedly playtested and balanced, then I have no issues playing for a very long time even if stuck to try and figure things out myself. Examples of this include Zelda, Nintendo games in general, Team Ninja action games, Resident Evil series.

The more I am unsure of this, the less likely I am to care about looking up things. After about 2 hours playing Tunic, made by 1 person, I decided I'm probably just going to coast through some parts of this if I'm stuck for a few hours, and I felt the combat balancing was a bit busted and changed the difficulty level.

killatopak

I read guides before playing the game. Mostly just beginner tips. Missables as well if applicable.

I only never read guides on franchises I am very familiar with.

.Pennywise

Banned
But I don’t understand what “pride” has do with it. You either find it fun finding things on your own or you don’t.
Uh, I can't say that "pride" has anything to do with it. But sure if I'm confused/lost/not figuring out a puzzle, I have no hesitation jumping on google. I value my time more than any misplaced sense of "gamer pride" which I kinda cringe just typing out right now.
what does it have to do with "pride" no idea, thats a f weird way to look at it.

Pride: a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Proud while gaming?

Suspicious Season 9 GIF by The Office

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Do you mean proud or egotistical? The options in the poll are about ego, not pride.
I'm neither proud nor egotistical about gaming. Games are tools that I use to entertain myself. If I'm having fun I keep playing a game. If I'm not having fun I stop playing that game. If there is a task in a game that halts my progress, and I can't figure out how to get past it, I will or will not look up how to move past that point based on how fun it is to try to solve it vs. how much I want to get past it. To be more direct, is the task its self fun to solve? That is the deciding factor in whether or not I look for information.

It depends on the game. If I'm loving the game, it has earned my struggle, and I'll get it done on my own. But if I'm not really feeling it, I'll abuse it since it's already abusing me. :p (Or if it's really lackluster I'll just drop it, of course.)

Rival

Gold Member
I’ll try everything a few times before checking for a solution. My gaming time is so little anymore I don’t want to waste if stuck.

kiphalfton

Does this look like fun. No I don’t think so. Had to do it several times before I said screw it.

After going through school and wasting hours trying to figure out one fucking problem, my tolerance for BS is extremely low. Is there some satisfaction figuring something out, yeah I guess, but it’s not worth hours of banging my head against the wall stressing out. Could use that time for other stuff.

Last edited:

Plantoid

I'm very proud, this one time I was playing through god of war 2 and when I defeated Medusa i got stuck in a puzzle for hours, when I was sleeping i dreamed about the game and found the solution (it involved dropping a body in the water flow so it could activate a button)

While playing Elden ring i tried to do every quest by myself, only looked things up on my third playthrough.

Actually I'm very proud, because I got one of the rarest bosses and the rarest ending possible on my first playthrough (<1%)

Knightime_X

When I was younger I'd spend maybe a week trying to do it myself.

Now? Like 30 years later..
I got too many games to play and not enough time.

VN1X

Banned
I feel stunning and brave when teabagging someone in Hunt: Showdown. Have a great weekend!

I've been pretty adamant about figuring things out myself, but some games use such bullshit solutions that it became untenable. Nowadays I resort to a walkthrough after 15 minutes or so.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Realy proud, the question is how proud my parents feel of me there 33yr old son gaming, shouting and screaming down the headset and have to put me to bed drunk in the early hrs of the morning, sometimes iv pissed myself or sick all over myself. I hope there proud of me and my gamerscore.

Duchess

I try and avoid looking at guides when I'm stuck, because the following tends to happen:

"You will need to get the Spider Key in order to enter the King's Chamber. Once inside, you'll confront the Regent, who will reveal that he was the one who killed your father and uncle. You will then battle both him and Sara, who has lured you here to betray you. The Spider Key itself can be found in the kitchens ..."

Yes, thanks person who wrote the guide for spoiling that big reveal for me. I only wanted to know where the Spider Key is ...

Last edited:

Fbh

Really depends on the context for me.

I don't use guides for games which are primarily about exploration or puzzles, because solving them is the fun part.
But there's been instances when I'm playing, say, an action heavy game that randomly throws an annoying laser puzzle at me and in those instances if I don't get it right after 1 hour or so I'll usually look up a guide to go back to the part of the game I actually enjoy.

In RPG's I usually play my first playthrough blind. And then IF I replay it I'll look up a guide to find the stuff I missed, get optional bosses/content, "true endings" and things like that.

I also looked up a guide for the hardest part of Nocturne
maxresdefault.jpg
Fuck this shit

So proud. I don't understand how people enjoy playing rpg's with a guide just so they get "the best ending." I will look up if I'm stuck at a specific problem though.

Yeah.
To each their own but I recently I saw a few people going for the "golden route" ending in Triangle Strategy on their first try using a guide and I don't really get the appeal. You basically ruin one of the best parts of the game (the choices and consequences) for the sake of getting "the best" ending,

Last edited:

Hoppa

I only use guides/videos for fighting games. Can’t be bothered stopping a single player game to search something up.

DavidGzz

Another stealth Elden Ring thread. 😁
I have been clearing dungeons and then googling if there are any illusory walls lol

Top Bottom