• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Sony push software sales on PSP ?

DSN2K

Ive been thinking with all these games getting announced how will Sony be able to break the mold and get people to buy more games for Handhelds ?

im amazed at the amount of people who pick up a few titles with their Gameboy's and never buy a single game again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm very interested in PSP, but I'd be more interested in how Sony will ever get me to buy a PS2 game again when there is a version for PSP. Practicality for me means a straight swap to portable whereever possible.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The fact that PSP games are going to match the style and quality of current consoles in graphics, audio, gameplay, and (most importantly) overall depth should spark a higher than normal software sales trend for the system.

As long as PSP games are as fleshed out and deep as the average console game, they will carry a much higher value than those of previous handheld systems.

jarrod

Banned
mashoutposse said:
As long as PSP games are as fleshed out and deep as the average console game, they will carry a much higher value than those of previous handheld systems.
That comparison falls apart once you play Advance Wars.

Memles

I just realized this the other day...when my GBA Lineup consists of All First Party Nintendo titles (4 of which involve Mario: Kart, Golf, Superstar Saga, SMB3), and the only 3rd Party titles I owned were either launch games or cheap, I realize that I don't buy that much handheld software.

For me, I think it's the lack of cheaper titles. I know that discounted GBA Titles are rare for me to find, and I've picked up a lot of Sub $15 GameCube games that have diversified my library there, but my GBA library hasn't had that chance to grow, which has proven quite annoying.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
jarrod said:
That comparison falls apart once you play Advance Wars.

Advance Wars offers console-level gameplay and depth in a 16-bit (read: antiquated) package. Regardless, AW has sold quite well, but one could argue that its success was earned in spite of its "outdated" style.

PSP games, however, will have the look and feel to go along with the depth and gameplay. That's a major selling point.

I think MOP hit this on hte head. As much as people might not want to admit it, the majority of the public doesn't want 2D games, no matter what type of system it's on. What Sony is introducing is 3D, done correctly and with very high quality console like graphics. This is stuff that will instantly appeal to alot of the public. Sports junkies can take a fully playable version of Madden with them to work, or racing fans can take a game like GT4P to work with them without seeing any real downgrade in visuals or gameplay which is obviously a big appeal in gaming today. Now whether or not they will buy into this is the real question. I think there's a good chance of it. I also think that if Sony can get the sales of PSP games moving along nicely, that's going to be a big selling point for the PSP over the GBA (not sure about the DS) for developers.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
As much as people might not want to admit it, the majority of the public doesn't want 2D games, no matter what type of system it's on.
And yet, the best selling game this generation happens to be 2D.

jarrod said:
And yet, the best selling game this generation happens to be 2D.

Yah one series, as a whole compare the number of big 2D sellers to the number of big 3D sellers. Even with the GBA's fanbase that's around the same size as the PS2, it can't even keep up.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yah one series, as a whole compare the number of big 2D sellers to the number of big 3D sellers. Even with the GBA's fanbase that's around the same size as the PS2, it can't even keep up.
Well, there's also the multimillion selling Mario Advance games, Zelda, Mario Kart, Kirby, Sonic Advance, Yu-Gi-Oh, Frogger...

Top Bottom