• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you grade Phil Spencer’s tenure as head of Xbox?

Grade Phil Spencer’s tenure

• S

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I literally didn't think we'd end up in a place where Phil Spencer would be considered worse than Don Fucking Mattrick.. but here we are 🤣
i saw it coming. im sure you can go back to 2016 and find my posts pointing out how don matrick had lined up a fairly decent first 2-3 year lineup for X1X including making relationships with studios like Respawn, insomniac and Platinum Games. Had Phil continued those relationships, he couldve acquired respawn for 300 million, insomniac for $220 million and platinum for far cheaper. But he blew $2.5 million on minecraft instead. and cancelled scalebound.

i saw it coming. im sure you can go back to 2016 and find my posts pointing out how don matrick had lined up a fairly decent first 2-3 year lineup for X1X including making relationships with studios like Respawn, insomniac and Platinum Games. Had Phil continued those relationships, he couldve acquired respawn for 300 million, insomniac for $220 million and platinum for far cheaper. But he blew $2.5 million on minecraft instead. and cancelled scalebound.
Damn, that's embarrassingly bad! Xbox would've been in a better place if they managed to buy Insomniac etc.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
this is basically Phil Spencer's excuse. but don't we also have data that most people aren't using backwards compatibility. doesn't that indicate that people buy consoles to play new games and that therefore that people's library of games don't really factor as a decision to buy new consoles? even if we ignore ps3 games not working on ps4, the fact that switch comes out not BC w/ the wii u or 3ds and somehow still found success shows that the ecosystem argument is not true doesn't it?

edit: Ugh the way I wrote this argument is a mess; lots of rhetorical questions. But hopefully my point is clear.
The argument for Xbox was always a simple one: They did not invest in first party games. They never hired proper people to oversee their studios. They just spent money and never once tried accountability. The Coalition was proof that Xbox could have been much better and more competitive.

Last edited:

avin

Xbox under Spencer is the weirdest division of MS, some sort of doppelgänger almost. First, he did save it from the axe. And unlike the rest of MS, the hardware is great, the software sucks. How weird is that. The XSX is the sweetest bit of kit I've owned, though it's getting long in the tooth, and the S is creaking like we were told it would mid-gen. But the games just aren't there. Redfall was a disgrace, Halo Infinite and Starfield could have been so much better. Overall, a C, although if the games do end up coming it'll almost certainly be on PC for me.

Gamepass is the toughest one for me to assess honestly. It clearly hasn't worked the way Spencer hoped. Maybe it never could, but really, how could one know, although plenty of people claimed to have known, like God talks to them or something. But I suspect one had to try it to learn that, and I like when people try things. I left it out of my assessment. But if you include Gamepass the grade changes, and it sure as hell doesn't get better.

avin

Last edited:

DrFigs

The argument for Xbox was always a simple one: They didn't not invest in first party games. They never hired proper people to oversee their studios. They just spent money and never once tried accountability. The Coalition was proof that Xbox could have been much better and more competitive.
Okay yeah that's more straightforward. And probably more important than the stuff I mentioned.

wipeout364

Xbox's division
Xbox is a part of the windows ecosystem so when you create your live account you are entering the Microsoft ecosystem. Not sure why this is not clear to people. Every movie I buy on Xbox is available on my laptop, a lot of games I buy are available on my PC. I can stream many Xbox games through my PC.

Does Google maps or docs generate profits? Probably not but it leads you to the google ecosystem. Same deal with xbox.

AJUMP23

He has been average. I think he worked a lot to overcome the Matrick years, but some of the games have been less than stellar. But he has made Gamepass great.

Xbox is a part of the windows ecosystem so when you create your live account you are entering the Microsoft ecosystem. Not sure why this is not clear to people. Every movie I buy on Xbox is available on my laptop, a lot of games I buy are available on my PC. I can stream many Xbox games through my PC.

Does Google maps or docs generate profits? Probably not but it leads you to the google ecosystem. Same deal with xbox.
when the president of gaming which parent company is the riches company in the world compliants about capitalism, you know he fucked up.

Xbox is bleeding red like crazy.

ZoukGalaxy

He just destroyed the brand, that's all folks.
Angry Ufc GIF

This is what you said:

You didn't leave a lot of room for interpretation?
:rolleyes:.....figure of speech.

i used "debt" to drive home the point that MS spending 100B is not charity for Xbox...they need to make that money back. and current xbox ain't making profits. they are fucked.

so this list:
Xbox now controls:
Call of Duty
Minecraft
Overwatch
World of Warcraft
Fallout
Elder Scrolls
Starfield
Dishonored
Evil Within
Obsidian
Doom
Quake
Wolfenstein
Diablo
Starcraft
Hellblade
and this statement
I don’t know, but that list makes me think Phil is doing a half decent job.
Are hilarious.

Klayzer

Microsoft is doing well, Xbox platform is not. Xbox is selling less consoles and games than ever before, those are facts.

Can they turn it around, possibly. I think with new leadership for the platform, they could.

ZehDon

Gold Member
:rolleyes:.....figure of speech.

i used "debt" to drive home the point that MS spending 100B is not charity for Xbox...they need to make that money back. and current xbox ain't making profits. they are fucked...
Ok, so not debt at all then. What you're trying to say is that Microsoft want a return on their investments in Xbox. When you spend USD$90b on investments, no one is expecting that to be paid back the next week. Given we already know Xbox is working on their next generation of hardware, I'm not sure I see how "they are fucked".

Ok, so not debt at all then. What you're trying to say is that Microsoft want a return on their investments in Xbox. When you spend USD$90b on investments, no one is expecting that to be paid back the next week. Given we already know Xbox is working on their next generation of hardware,
it would take them like 30+ years. but it gets worse.

I'm not sure I see how "they are fucked".
NUngbJC.gif

Funny answer:
They Lost Tim Dog.

Real answer:
Xbox Console/brand/Ecosystem are a complete failure:
No one wants the console, the brand is in the gutter and their ecosystem has destroyed the "economy of gaming": discourages people from buying games; their 30% cut is even worse thanks to Game Pass

2/3 of Xbox as a division is third-party (thrives outside the Xbox ecosystem).

=

Xbox as a console is done.

As a division, Xbox faces immense pressure to maximize revenue, this negates being exclusive to the console with the smaller install base. So they NEED to put their games everywhere. MS is not an entertainment company and they are incompetent at game development. Their output of quality and quantity is a big factor for their current state; on top of that, they are going to face hell in the next 2-4 years regarding Studio Management, Power vacuums, internal turmoil, talent retention, and all kindz of shitz like A.I. integration/Unionization.....They are fuuucked.

Klayzer

NUngbJC.gif

Funny answer:
They Lost Tim Dog.

Real answer:
No one wants the console, the brand is in the gutter and their ecosystem has destroyed the "economy of gaming": discourages people from buying games; their 30% cut is even worse thanks to Game Pass

=

As a division, Xbox faces immense pressure to maximize revenue, this negates being exclusive to the console with the smaller install base. So they NEED to put their games everywhere. MS is not an entertainment company and they are incompetent at game development. Their output of quality and quantity is a big factor for their current state; on top of that, they are going to face hell in the next 2-4 years regarding Studio Management, Power vacuums, internal turmoil, talent retention, and all kindz of shitz like A.I. integration/Unionization.....They are fuuucked.
Disagree somewhat on Xbox being totally fucked. A better leader can offset some of these problems. A string of highly rated/quality games, can also get momentum going. A new voice is surrely needed, for Xbox to reclaim some of it's lost market share.

Kerotan

We've gone from:

Don Mattrick "We have another console for that, it's called the Xbox 360"

to:

Phil Spencer "We have another console for that, it's called the Playstation Quintuple".

Disagree somewhat on Xbox being totally fucked. A better leader can offset some of these problems. A string of highly rated/quality games, can also get momentum going. A new voice is surrely needed, for Xbox to reclaim some of it's lost market share.
is not a leadership problem. Is a "culture" problem. And that culture comes from MS.

ZehDon

Gold Member
it would take them like 30+ years...
I'm betting maths isn't your strongest suite.
... No one wants the console, the brand is in the gutter and their ecosystem has destroyed the "economy of gaming": discourages people from buying games; their 30% cut is even worse thanks to Game Pass...
Your rant boils down to the same thing: they're not making games people want. If people wanted the games Xbox was making, their consoles would move better numbers, more Game Pass subscribers, etc. As you've highlighted, they recently acquired some new studios - meaning they now have a lot of people on staff who know how to make games people want. I'm still not seeing how "They are fuuucked", all I'm seeing is wishful thinking.

I'm betting maths isn't your strongest suite.
To be fair is not my math. Is colin's
Your rant boils down to the same thing: they're not making games people want.
if they don't make "games people want" they can't grow their market share, which impacts the amount of money they can make inside their ecosystem. is a snowball effect.

If people wanted the games Xbox was making, their consoles would move better numbers more Game Pass subscribers, etc..
if this, if that. it doesn't matter. MS/Xbox has failed to do so.

As you've highlighted, they recently acquired some new studios - meaning they now have a lot of people on staff who know how to make games people want.
yeah, like Redfall, Pentiment, Grounded, Bleeding Edge, Hi-Fi, Starfield, Forza....Their recent output has failed to increase Xbox console sales and GP subscribers...They are fuucked.

I'm still not seeing how "They are fuuucked",
of course:
LAfmAg2.gif

all I'm seeing is wishful thinking.
is it? I'm just making an analysis based in previous examples and MS/xbox's own track record.

I just read a couple of my posts in the ABK acquisition thread....damn, I have a massive dick.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

NUngbJC.gif

Funny answer:
They Lost Tim Dog.

Real answer:

=

Chorizo eating too much sausage to write of a company of this size and resources, they have the abity to pivot and likely are still going to release more console hardware. (Most likely a portable hybrid)

Chorizo eating too much sausage to write of a company of this size and resources, they have the abity to pivot and likely are still going to release more console hardware. (Most likely a portable hybrid)
mine. thats how big it is. especially after reading some of my posts in the ABK acquisition thread. damn, I was so right.

ZehDon

Gold Member
if they don't make "games people want" they can't grow their market share, which impacts the amount of money they can make inside their ecosystem. is a snowball effect.
Correct.
yeah, like Redfall, Pentiment, Grounded, Bleeding Edge, Hi-Fi, Starfield, Forza....
Pentiment, Grounded, and Hi-Fi Rush are legitimately good games that have been well received. What point do you think you're making, exactly? Anyway, I thought you were focused on the "100b debt"... which comes from acquiring companies not responsible for any the games you've listed? As I said, Microsoft literally just bought the services of thousands of people who can help get their shit together.
They are fuucked.
Maybe a few more "u"s in there next time you repeat your little mantra, that'll be sure to make you right ;)

Pentiment, Grounded, and Hi-Fi Rush are legitimately good games that have been well received. What point do you think you're making, exactly? Anyway,
their console demand in the market has been decreasing. GP subscribers are not growing. Those games are not doing what they are supposed to be doing.

I thought you were focused on the "100b debt"... which comes from acquiring companies not responsible for any the games you've listed?
that 100B is not coming from ABK alone. is from their entire acquisition spree since 2018 or so.

...who can help get their shit together.
what did I said? the next 2-4 years are going to be hell. because they need to get their shit together. Their track record is not good.
the issues MS has are way deeper tho.

buying one of the most important videogame IPs ever created didn't move the needle for MS/Xbox. I am talking about Minecraft.

Why?.

1. They bought that IP once it had already become a juggernaut

which means that:
a) the brand was already engrained in the culture (not associated with MS/Xbox).
b) subsequent growth is not going to be as meaningful as the initial boom
c) you cant make it exclusive/ongoing product
d) different market segment appeal.

with Zenimax and ABK; MS is buying several IP's that are already established.

in paper, and as you said: this should make a more even playing field.

taking about the console market (which is the relevant in this conversation)

MS/Xbox has shown a very poor management of Studios/IP/and even hardware.

Every single merger (especially big ones) are followed by:

1. layoffs.
2. People leaving
4. Culture clash
5. Turmoil/Power Vacuums
and in this instance, we can add
6. Unionization efforts.

MS/Xbox is about to face and "atonement task" that could last this entire generation. which means (because MS/Xbox's track record) there is a high chance they fuck this up badly.

Maybe a few more "u"s in there next time you repeat your little mantra, that'll be sure to make you right ;)
is not a mantra when is happening in 4K and real time at 120hz baby.

ZehDon

Gold Member
their console demand in the market has been decreasing. GP subscribers are not growing...
Correct.
... Those games are not doing what they are supposed to be doing...
The games I highlighted are AA passion projects, not console-selling megatons. Why did you include them if you're only referring to the AAA killer apps? Did your list look too small without them? If so, you didn't even include Halo Infinite, arguably their biggest ever failure?
that 100B is not coming from ABK alone. is from their entire acquisition spree since 2018 or so.
... you mean the studios who've made games like Hellblade, a successful and incredibly well received title? What?
...what did I said?..
No idea, you didn't post that when talking to me. You might be getting confused to whom your posting with?

The games I highlighted are AA passion projects, not console-selling megatons. Why did you include them if you're only referring to the AAA killer apps?
opportunity cost
Did your list look too small without them?
I just wrote the games that were recently released.
If so, you didn't even include Halo Infinite, arguably their biggest ever failure?
the latest forza is up there. maybe is even bigger...for that fanbase.

... you mean the studios who've made games like Hellblade, a successful and incredibly well received title? What?
and all the rest.

No idea, you didn't post that when talking to me. You might be getting confused to whom your posting with?
are you ZehDon? cuz i said that to that person:

, they are going to face hell in the next 2-4 years regarding Studio Management, Power vacuums, internal turmoil, talent retention, and all kindz of shitz like A.I. integration/Unionization.....They are fuuucked.

ZehDon

Gold Member
opportunity cost

I just wrote the games that were recently released.

the latest forza is up there. maybe is even bigger...for that fanbase.

and all the rest.
... what? I'm sorry, but none of that really makes sense.
are you ZehDon? cuz i said that to that person:
Er, that's not the large, multi-paragraph post of yours that you quoted that I asked who you were talking to? Did you misquote?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Based on how long since I’ve felt compelled to turn on my Xbox… Average. Very very average.

Probably change my grade to a D. Had higher hopes but they dashed then pretty thoroughly.

kizito

Even I would have done a better job than him.
The strong points of his tenure are :
-Series X is a well-made console
-Series S as a cheaper option was a good idea
-GamePass is an excellent concept (I wouldn't have bet on that, but he was right to).

For the rest, his inability to capitalize on the enormous catalogue of dormant IPs Microsoft owns, and his lack of questioning on why Xbox Studios output has been so bad brought the brand down to the gutter. At some points, heads have to roll when for one decade the studios barely produced good games.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
No. It can't. Xbox screwed up so bad last gen and people invested into Sony and Nintendo ecosystem. Xbox as a console can't be saved. WIthout a console it's just 3rd party publisher.

So take your "oh please..." bullshit and take it back to fantasy land on the unicorn you came on.

There have been bigger turnaround stories in tech, for companies that have been in far worse situations than Microsoft’s Xbox (see Apple). To say definitively that it “can’t” is ridiculous console warring.

Secondly, I never mentioned a strategy of a console for turning the brand around, although they could do that as well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There have been bigger turnaround stories in tech, for companies that have been in far worse situations than Microsoft’s Xbox (see Apple). To say definitively that it “can’t” is ridiculous console warring.

Secondly, I never mentioned a strategy of a console for turning the brand around, although they could do that as well.
The difference is that those companies had far more competent people in charge. Xbox does not have a single competent person running it.

Phil Spencer is a PR Genius. He gets all of the credit for Xbox's successes, but none of the blame for Xbox's failures. When they do something right, its all thanks to Phil. When they do something wrong, "Muh Don Mattrick".

All of which proves that as long as you say all the right things in interviews, everyone who is terminally online, will eat it up and hail you as the king.

But the market doth spoken, and the general consumer doesn't give a shit about PR, because most people aren't loser degenerates like us, spending more time on NeoGAF talking about interviews and games, more than we spend actually playing them. And so here we are.

Phil's greatest successes (if you can call it that) are the devaluation of games via the GaaS modus operandi in the form of GamePass, and convincing Microsoft to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on gaming IP, so they can coast of IP ownership, rather than have to do something difficult and complicated like, managing a brand or hardware product portfolio.

Every decision made has been for PR, more than it has been for the Xbox Brand. How Bonnie Ross was allowed to sit around and obliterate any good will with the Halo franchise for the better part of 15 years. The other bums in charge of Xbox Games Studios were allowed to collect massive paychecks without fear of consequence of failure. The only people who deserve anything really are the Forza team. The rest of them should have been canned 10 years ago. Mismanagement from top to bottom. A fundamental lack of ruthlessness in building and supporting the brand. Spending money on existing IP, instead of spending way less making your own IP.

If you're more a fan of Microsoft than Xbox though, I'm sure you've loved his tenure. He's all but killed the Xbox brand, and made Microsoft one of the largest publishers in the industry. Great job.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
B

BC, One X and GamePass would make him S tier but they’ve had too many software problems
Yep, he will never be forgiven for how poorly he managed his first party studios. That's on him. His best decision was allowing Rodd Fergusson to run The Coalition. He's available and if Xbox was smart (LOL...who are we kidding) they would have him run Xbox studios and oversee all software. I guarantee titles like Perfect Dark would have been out years ago.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Phil Spencer is a PR Genius. He gets all of the credit for Xbox's successes, but none of the blame for Xbox's failures. When they do something right, its all thanks to Phil. When they do something wrong, "Muh Don Mattrick".

All of which proves that as long as you say all the right things in interviews, everyone who is terminally online, will eat it up and hail you as the king.

But the market doth spoken, and the general consumer doesn't give a shit about PR, because most people aren't loser degenerates like us, spending more time on NeoGAF talking about interviews and games, more than we spend actually playing them. And so here we are.

Phil's greatest successes (if you can call it that) are the devaluation of games via the GaaS modus operandi in the form of GamePass, and convincing Microsoft to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on gaming IP, so they can coast of IP ownership, rather than have to do something difficult and complicated like, managing a brand or hardware product portfolio.

Every decision made has been for PR, more than it has been for the Xbox Brand. How Bonnie Ross was allowed to sit around and obliterate any good will with the Halo franchise for the better part of 15 years. The other bums in charge of Xbox Games Studios were allowed to collect massive paychecks without fear of consequence of failure. The only people who deserve anything really are the Forza team. The rest of them should have been canned 10 years ago. Mismanagement from top to bottom. A fundamental lack of ruthlessness in building and supporting the brand. Spending money on existing IP, instead of spending way less making your own IP.

If you're more a fan of Microsoft than Xbox though, I'm sure you've loved his tenure. He's all but killed the Xbox brand, and made Microsoft one of the largest publishers in the industry. Great job.
The one truly competent person they had during his tenure, Rodd Fergusson, was allowed to walk and joined....Blizzard...which I means he is back with Xbox.....C'mon Microsoft, he will at least make sure you get games out.

WoJ

I voted F, but after some reflection I think a D or C- is more fair. As much as I think Phil drove Xbox into the ground, the BC initiative was really great. I also don't hate the acquisitions as much as some. On paper that should have led to great 1st party output. It just hasn't materialized and has been tied to gamepass. Gamepass is trash though.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The difference is that those companies had far more competent people in charge. Xbox does not have a single competent person running it.

and that’s why Microsoft needs to clean house at XBOX and completely restructure. I’m not against their new direction of merging console and Windows, but I have zero confidence in leadership to implement.

Top Bottom