• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you grade Phil Spencer’s tenure as head of Xbox?

Grade Phil Spencer’s tenure

• S

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
If the goal was to destroy your brand and depend on porting your exclusives to other platforms in order to survive, S.

If the goal was to eliminate Sony and buy out Nintendo and Steam as those leaked documents suggested, F.

Ultimately though, no matter how you look at it, F. Absolutely horrible tenure. The amount of times I’ve heard Xbox people, even fans, etc. say next year will be our year, where we have loads of exclusives, next year, next year, i’ve been hearing this since the tail end of the 360.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
and that’s why Microsoft needs to clean house at XBOX and completely restructure. I’m not against their new direction of merging console and Windows, but I have zero confidence in leadership to implement.
The sad part is, that I simply don't see what moves MS could make at this point. I feel like they could put the best team in charge and they'd still be screwed. I don't want to give MS any ideas, but the smartest acquisition they could have made would have been Steam. They could have gotten it far less than what it cost ABK.

Honestly, I think MS best move would be to sell a strict gaming OS, so that we can keep achievements.

A compotent leader with a true vision for Xbox, could revive the brand immediately. It's a good brand that's run by incompotent executives.

Huge potential not realised is what is frustrating the most.

A classic case of phoney people surrounding themselves with people who tell them no wrong.

F+
presiona tu suerte fs GIF

ProtoByte

A compotent leader with a true vision for Xbox, could revive the brand immediately. It's a good brand that's run by incompotent executives.
It's clear that Phil's been able to stay on this long because he's the only guy willing to try stupid shit in attempts to change the foundations of the market. That's what Microsoft's interested in. Their interest, at this stage, is not to sell hardware.

KaiserBecks

Well you have to give him credit for turning around the brand years ago. Problem is, he then turned it around again. I can't think of anyone who could replace him though.

Jaybe

All he has been good at is getting Satya to cough up money for acquisitions and making Gaming a more important segment within Microsoft. As a corporate employee, probably good for him. From my view as a gamer, the studio output has been abysmal under his watch. Games have released in an early access state. Games have missed promised deadlines. Now they are effectively just a third-part publisher. It’s like if Activison bought Bethesda and a few small studios. That’s what he’s made Xbox. The platform and hardware are in a death spiral.

C. He did as good a job as any having to dig out of the Xbone disaster, closed the ATVI deal, and has done well for Xbox except in the most important measure - quality games. They continue to struggle here despite all the money and time spent. While much of this is Matt Booty's responsibility, Phil Spencer is failing by keeping him in that position.

Alcibiades

Some good moves when it comes to games and marketing, some so-so moves.

But I give him an F for the dumbest, most confusing naming structure imaginable. Too many S's flying around with their consoles XBox One S, XBox Series X, XBox Series S, etc... I thought the XBox One name was bad (Didn't we already have an XBox "1" as their first console, are they re-releasing their first console WTF?) but this last generation was even worse and completely turned me off to considering it (mostly to play 4K with the occasional game bonus). Glad I didn't get one though cause I got that XBox One S Red Gears Edition and I've only ever used it for 4k bluray, streaming services and downloading Lost Odyssey which I never got around to playing so the newest generation would have been the same thing.

Would have preferred a simple XBox, XBox 2, XBox 3, XBox 4, XBox 5, etc... and then they can attach an S or X or Mini or Slim or Ultra or whatever else at the end of each or something. Or who knows pay somebody to come up with something that isn't confusing AF.

This Spencer guy is DUMB! DUMB! DUMB!

Sony was SMART! SMART! SMART! - no confusion cause there is a simple number at the end of each cycle.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The sad part is, that I simply don't see what moves MS could make at this point. I feel like they could put the best team in charge and they'd still be screwed. I don't want to give MS any ideas, but the smartest acquisition they could have made would have been Steam. They could have gotten it far less than what it cost ABK.

Honestly, I think MS best move would be to sell a strict gaming OS, so that we can keep achievements.

Would have a been a huge acquisition, but they would have ruined it. Need to clean house.

Good PR executives could turn the perception of Xbox around, you just need a good business strategy to go with it. They have neither.

Top Bottom