• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you improve elden ring?

kikkis

Just curious how would you take from software formula further or fix issues you think it has?

1. Randomized loot. There really isn't any reason to explore on replays and it also makes looking at guides mandatory if you want the best items.

2. Parry system more like Sekiro. With exception that parry would be block and then attack button so, you couldn't just spam block button for alright results. Also you could also parry swords and stuff but not mega big bosses, to give bit variety in terms of avoiding attacks.

3. Some kind of quest system, and dialog tress. No need to make it too big and I generally don't even like side quests.

4. No upgrade materials and simpler stats. It would more fun if I found new slightly more powerful weapon of different class, I could just start using it instead not using it due to having first to upgrade it.

5. Armor that matters, I don't really like leveling up vigor or endurance, just make armor powerful and have different stats, like vigor and endurance.

6. Fixed healing from start of the game with no way to upgrade it. Just make like 5 full heals. Its kind of fun since you would have risk and reward mechanic. Lower your health more you would heal, but riskier it is.

7. Boss challenge like Sekiro. ER went overboard.

8. Easy to use magic, that would act like small damage boost instead of complex stat driven system with op spells and shitty spells. Hold RT and press face button to blast 4 different spells of your choosing and mana regains little bit by dealing damage to enemies, melee included.

9. Improved bow mechanics, like hold LT and get bow with improved aim. Rechargeable bow of like 5 arrows, would Inzentive using bow for stunning few enemies out of group for instance.

10. I prefer face button attacks and I don't really need two attacks like heavy and light since typically one is better than the other statically. It would free shoulder buttons for magic and bow.

11. More traditional story delivery and than cryptic item descriptions.

Ulysses 31

Roaming NPCs, not just having them stand/sit there all the time. Log with quest notes/clues.

Intro that's more clear on the Marika stuff(her disappearance and what she did to the Elden Ring inside her). Fully CGI animated instead of the drawn still pics would be an improvement too.

Last edited:

Jormatar

Open world template is fine for your first playthrough but after that it gets really tedious if you just want to fight the bosses. So much riding and running in empty spaces. This game really needs boss gauntlets like in Sekiro.

SoulTas

Neo Member
- Have a level cap that slightly increases for every NG+. For instance, cap to 120, then to 160 for NG+, 200 for NG+2, etc.

The game is huge and gives you too many stuff and bosses to kill that can easily make you over-leveled, without even farming for it.

Zimmy68

I just wish they could tone down the input reading bosses. Don't make it so obvious.
Fighting a Death Rite bird, just sits there and watches me, As soon as I raise up to cast something, which pins me to the ground, they launch am 80% hit attack that I can't block.
You just end up finding ways to cheese them right back.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Better camera and less copy & pasted stuff. A bit more of feedback when hitting enemies would be nice too.

Everything else is perfect, and those asking for a quest system or more clear directions should go play other games.

anthony2690

Banned
After finishing the game, I wanted to go through people's dungeons and help them etc.

But I only seem to get summoned at Melania and the person I'm helping would die near instantly.

It got boring fast.

I'm just waiting for a good expansion now, my experience through the game itself though was absolutely incredible.

Last edited:

mxbison

Agree on the parry system.

Right now Elden Ring is 99% rolling through mid-air tracking enemy attacks. Since From Software doesn't seem like they ever want to go away from that, they should atleast give more fun options to deal with enemy patterns.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Let me play with my friends quickly and easily. It would also be quite nice if I still had the horses in coop.

They should rework open world Pvp. 1vs 3 makes little sense.

gothmog

Gold Member
Not sure I agree with the list OP presented. Seems largely like minor gripes.

I would love to see an overhauled network experience around multiplayer, co-op, and social. I've had enough titles with the janky message sharing and feel like it is time to move on.

fart town usa

Gold Member
My only complaint with ER is the last two bosses, they just aren't fun to fight. Many of the boss fights are exhilarating and reward good timing, etc. The final two bosses are just tanks and feel out of place. Really underwhelming in that regard.

A Magical Map that lets me check off all the stuff I've done.
You know, like Assasins creed.
Or a broken one like Horizon Forbidden West. (Did they ever fix it?)

I'm sure this will make 90 percent of Gaf pissed. The other 10 percent secretly want it but wont say.

BabyYoda

Banned
PVE and PVP Covenants, hopefully the rumours are true and they didn't make the cut because they ran out of time and they're being released later instead.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Let me play with my friends quickly and easily. It would also be quite nice if I still had the horses in coop.

They should rework open world Pvp. 1vs 3 makes little sense.
Seamless co-op on PC does just that.

My suggestion would be along the same lines; less cryptic and convoluted multiplayer. This whole shit with summoning pools, finger severers, bloody fingers, and all of that shit is stupid as hell. Make it easy to summon players without restrictions. Buff bosses and enemies according to the number of players. Hell, they could even add stronger enemies to make up for the number of players.

As for invasion, make invasion hotspots where people are free to invade as they please.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
  • Dramatically reduce the amount of one hit kills in the game.
  • Reduce amount of guard breaks.
  • Redesign combat so that enemies do not auto-track your position, but instead attack set spaces that you have to move away from.
  • Improve enemy AI so that it's not reading inputs.
  • Improve combat balancing with proper tells on enemy attacks.
  • Make bosses use their own fatigue on attacks so they can't spam you infinitely; similar to Nioh's enemy design.
  • Reduce damage of attacks on first major boss.
  • Do a 2nd pass on balancing for almost every major boss in the game.
  • Improve camera on large enemies.
  • Improve balancing between the various classes, including more useful early magic for Faith builds.
Other than that, I was really enjoying it until it became more and more obvious the combat system is fundamentally busted in many ways, with worse balancing than any Souls game.

• Work on a better story / writing for quests and NPCs. Move away from familiar souls tropes that have been reused 7x.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Let me play with my friends quickly and easily.
Not posting this to be snarky but it is quick and easy, the process is definitely obtuse at first though.

Just make sure that you and the people you play with all have the same custom password in the MP settings. Once that is done you just need to put your sign down where your friend is, you can more or less play through the entire game in coop. Sometimes fog walls crop up but you just need to leave your friends game and then place the sign down on the other side of the fog wall.

Back when the game first released, I summoned in a player thinking it was my friend (cause we had a custom password set), I didn't realize it but it was someone else who also happened to have the same custom password. The players name was 'CONFESS DEEZ NUT', I could not stop laughing. I think the player was equally as confused because he immediately left the game. lol.

Moses85

Adding a super easy mode
Just Kidding Jk GIF

tommib

Make the game world 5x as big.
I agree but that world is already SO fucking big. Yesterday I opened it just to see what the update was about and immediately found new dungeons and towers that I never saw before. Was hooked for 5 hours with content was totally new for me in Caelid. That game is filled with adventure in every square feet. And I have 120 hours already with all trophy bosses killed.

small_law

Okay so I'm not thrilled with the future release schedule over the next few months. I'll probably get the Destiny 2 expansion, but other than that and finishing up God of War, I'm looking for something else. I've never played a soul's game, not really.

Should I Eldin Ring? Cut the bullshit, was this the best game that came out this year and should I commit?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I agree but that world is already SO fucking big. Yesterday I opened it just to see what the update was about and immediately found new dungeons and towers that I never saw before. Was hooked for 5 hours with content was totally new for me in Caelid. That game is filled with adventure in every square feet. And I have 120 hours already with all trophy bosses killed.
Same w/ me and I have about 225 hours. Pure gameplay too, no pausing and letting the game sit.

It's mostly pure coop in my buddies game but occasionally I'll play solo and just go to random spots to explore, I still find dungeons from time to time and like you, I've also killed all the main/optional bosses and done all the optional quests. Every time I think I've exhausted the game, I stumble on something new. It's a great feeling. I even stumble on the occasional grace point that I completely overlooked.

Top Bottom