• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wuthering Waves officially coming to PS4/PS5

maxresdefault.jpg

It was announced during Unreal Fest in Shanghai.

Dev interview:

Good news:

• Graphical and animation enhancements.
  • Weather and environmental effects along with weather changes while playing.
  • Character model upgrades: animation, personality, clothing
  • Improved battle effects so that everything is way more clear and visible when fighting
  • Much better movement, dodge, and parry systems
  • Better camera movement, less camera shake when fighting, smoother camera movement when locked on with faster enemies.
  • Improved combo system with seamless transitions
  • Echo system improvements, Echo gallery, Echo combat improvements(they show one being used to parry a boss)
  • Rare versions of echoes now findable in the overworld
  • Better designed fights and boss fights, including harder boss challenges
  • More stable framerate and higher framerate cap
  • More new dungeons

…But with good news, comes a bit of bad news.

Bad news:

• Players have complained that the environments and setting are too dark and dreary. The leads are looking into making more colorful environments on top of attempting to keep the post-apocalyptic nature of the game.
  • They are changing the game’s color palette to match this brighter look and make the game feel more comfortable.

Not sure if this is good or not, news:

• They have rewritten nearly 90% of the story, lore, and dialogue based on feedback. They will be redoing cutscenes, voice acting, and quest design.
  • It was a tough decision for them to make. They had to redo all of this within 6-9 months of work while the game itself previously took them ~3 years to develop.
tl;dr they’re making the game better, but Genshin fans have convinced them to lighten up on the darker artstyle that separated it from Genshin 🤷‍♂️

The story and lore changes worry me because I don’t want that to just feel like Genshin too.

Last edited:
boom smile GIF

Making the game lighter is the wrong way to go, but that's just me.

Hope they don't steer away from the post-apocalyptic world setting.
It’s a huge shame if they do. One of the selling points for me was the fact that this was a darker/apocalyptic take on the genre.

King Dazzar

Am I the only idiot who clicked on this thread and thought it was going to be about some kind of Wave Race clone... oh well

boom smile GIF

Making the game lighter is the wrong way to go, but that's just me.

Hope they don't steer away from the post-apocalyptic world setting.
If you want to experience a F2P game with a more 'gritty' story I recommend waiting for Arknights Endfield. It was announced for the PS5 during last year's TGA. But it's different than Wuthering Waves in gameplay as it has strategic elements like base building/management in addition to the action-y combat.

Last edited:

Jedge

I hope this gives genshin some competition because it desperately needs it. Day 522 of asking for 120fps for PC and other things such as artifact loadouts.

I am excited to play wuthering and did sign up for the beta on PC. Hoping it's good : )

Nankatsu

Gold Member
If you want to experience a F2P game with a more 'gritty' story I recommend waiting for Arknights Endfield. It was announced for the PS5 during last year's TGA. But it's different than Wuthering Waves in gameplay as it has strategic elements like base building/management in addition to the action-y combat.

Is it full waifu? I don't like when games go full waifu just for the fan service.

Last edited:
Is it full waifu? I don't like when games go full waifu just for the fan service.
I haven't participated in the technical tests so I can't say for sure but I believe they currently have revealed more waifus than husbandos. Not sure how fan service-y the game will be when it releases, but I watched some gameplay last week and it was pretty vanilla on that aspect. Maybe this can be considered fan service-y because you can check out the characters in more detail and in different poses?

Last edited:
Fall/Winter 2024

Closed beta test is 'soon' but I'm assuming Spring or Summer depending on how badly they crunch to implement all of these new changes. My guess is that they don't want to release anything on PS5 until the newer version of the game is fully up and running, so the release depends on it.

Anyway, I went through the developer interview that was posted in the OP and made gifs with several of the improved characters and with some of the new ones as well.
Thanks for posting those gifs. I recommend people check out the battle changes too. They post before and after footage of how they changed certain battle animations, camera movement, etc. It all looks better and smoother than before.

Day 522 of asking for 120fps for PC and other things such as artifact loadouts.
Good news is that they're working on both.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I haven't participated in the technical tests so I can't say for sure but I believe they currently have revealed more waifus than husbandos. Not sure how fan service-y the game will be when it releases, but I watched some gameplay last week and it was pretty vanilla on that aspect. Maybe this can be considered fan service-y because you can check out the characters in more detail and in different poses?

Hmm, at first glance I didn't like the characters design at all. Wavering looks much better.

"Emphasizing the beauty of human bodies"

At least some devs still understand that the typical normal person prefers to look at hot characters. God bless these devs.
Heh, I actually made two GIFs with this character and intentionally shared this one because of what the developers said there. :p I'm glad someone reacted to it. XD

Kuro Games have uploaded on their channel the Opening Cinematic of Wuthering Waves with both female and male MC.

And so begins the journey...

Wuthering Waves is a cross-platform, open-world action RPG set to launch globally, featuring combat gameplay with high degrees of freedom and profound narrative content.

Last edited:
I hate the male/female MC duality so much. This is the main reason why they are mute and feel like an avatar from the Souls or Zelda games instead of an actual character with name, personality, and background.

Top Bottom