• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you improve elden ring?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I also think the skill system kinda sucks (ashes of war), especially compared to basically any other action game or action RPG. Really feels limited. Compared to something like Nioh it's a huge difference, where you have access to dozens of unique moves. There's no real good reason Elden Ring couldn't have more combat options.

Last edited:
i would make it more difficult.

2 or 3 bosses aside the game was too damn easy. you need to go out of your way to make the game difficult. if you use everything the game gives you in terms of gameplay mechanics then you will be wrecking enemies too damn easily. the game showers you in runes so you have enough to buy shit and level up. you need to be careful how quickly you dump runes into leveling up or you will be OP

and i thought they dumbed Sekiro down lmao.

Get rid of the open world.
totally agree. they went open world for the sake of marketing it as such.

if they kept the semi open/linear map design of Dark Souls/Sekiro/Bloodborne then ER would still be just as good if not better.

don't get me wrong... the first 20-30 hours of ER were great but after that you realise you've basically seen it all as far as the open world design goes except pretty new areas. it's the same old enemies, bosses, landmarks (catacombs/ruins/churches/erdtree/caves). most of the buildings are used to hide magic spells. fuck you if you don't want a magic build i suppose?

so many times in the mid to late game i was exploring every inch of the map and i was let down because it was the same old boss i had fought 100 times already in a church/catacomb/ruin or ... there was nothing there at all.

i've said it before and i'll say it again: the next game if it is open world needs to be so much better in terms open world design...or they should go back to the souls/borne/sekiro map design.

Last edited:
My biggest problem was finding some areas too late and being way over leveled for some bosses . That may just be my problem though , but maybe a slight level scaler for bosses in that case .

My biggest problem was finding some areas too late and being way over leveled for some bosses . That may just be my problem though , but maybe a slight level scaler for bosses in that case .
to be fair i did find myself in the caelid ? area early on and i was dying easily. i noped the fuck right outta there.

the game scales by area so yeah if you go somewhere before you're ready you'll have a hard time. i also ended up behind the stormveil castle within the first 10 hours before fighting Margot but i didn't go too far. if i had kept going i'd have ran into trouble.

Remove the garbage obscure "mysterious" storytelling and quest design
at this point it'll never happen. that's part of what makes these games great. if you don't like it then it's not for you.

Last edited:
Just curious how would you take from software formula further or fix issues you think it has?

1. Randomized loot. There really isn't any reason to explore on replays and it also makes looking at guides mandatory if you want the best items.

2. Parry system more like Sekiro. With exception that parry would be block and then attack button so, you couldn't just spam block button for alright results. Also you could also parry swords and stuff but not mega big bosses, to give bit variety in terms of avoiding attacks.

3. Some kind of quest system, and dialog tress. No need to make it too big and I generally don't even like side quests.

4. No upgrade materials and simpler stats. It would more fun if I found new slightly more powerful weapon of different class, I could just start using it instead not using it due to having first to upgrade it.

5. Armor that matters, I don't really like leveling up vigor or endurance, just make armor powerful and have different stats, like vigor and endurance.

6. Fixed healing from start of the game with no way to upgrade it. Just make like 5 full heals. Its kind of fun since you would have risk and reward mechanic. Lower your health more you would heal, but riskier it is.

7. Boss challenge like Sekiro. ER went overboard.

8. Easy to use magic, that would act like small damage boost instead of complex stat driven system with op spells and shitty spells. Hold RT and press face button to blast 4 different spells of your choosing and mana regains little bit by dealing damage to enemies, melee included.

9. Improved bow mechanics, like hold LT and get bow with improved aim. Rechargeable bow of like 5 arrows, would Inzentive using bow for stunning few enemies out of group for instance.

10. I prefer face button attacks and I don't really need two attacks like heavy and light since typically one is better than the other statically. It would free shoulder buttons for magic and bow.

11. More traditional story delivery and than cryptic item descriptions.
You trying to take away the aspects of what makes souls games unique and different than the run of the mill ARPG.

Only improvement I would do is make coop easier from the start of the game and add in more non combative npcs. More locations like Jarsburg. That’s it. Games already perfect to me so any improvement is just supplemental.

I just wish they could tone down the input reading bosses. Don't make it so obvious.
Fighting a Death Rite bird, just sits there and watches me, As soon as I raise up to cast something, which pins me to the ground, they launch am 80% hit attack that I can't block.
You just end up finding ways to cheese them right back.
Game actually doesn’t have input reading.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Better facial character creation defaults.
People opt to have a good looking girl as their character, it would be nice to have a good workable template for an attractive face.
Most of the time I spend upwards of 30 min getting a character’s face right. I guess I’m used to old games where once you create a character you can never change it back option. I often spend my time on youtube looking up sliders just to get the face right before I can play so I have a solid foundation to work with in my games.

tmlDan

id prefer if i didn't face 50 snake-like bosses (Ulcerated Spirit Trees) in the game that literally went through walls cause the physics are fucked, i'd prefer a more coherent story and better ending other than staring at the moon the some shit, and a game that doesn't drag because the game got worse the more i played.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Add three enormous DLC campaigns

That thought is both exciting and terrifying at the same time

M0ooQh3.png

Bonus content: I recently found out that turning off HDR removed the stuttering I had to endure for 300 hours. IDK why no one told me before, they should be ashamed.

Edit: Wait, I forgot to add something on topic: Unreal 5.1.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Better story telling & NPC tracking, less repeat enemy's, different dungeon settings, better map management, more difficult mobs & bosses on NG+, more scaling for bosses, etc.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1. Randomized loot. There really isn't any reason to explore on replays and it also makes looking at guides mandatory if you want the best items.
https://www.nexusmods.com/eldenring/mods/428

https://www.nexusmods.com/eldenring/mods/97
10. I prefer face button attacks and I don't really need two attacks like heavy and light since typically one is better than the other statically. It would free shoulder buttons for magic and bow.
Just change buttons.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Just curious how would you take from software formula further or fix issues you think it has?

2. Parry system more like Sekiro. With exception that parry would be block and then attack button so, you couldn't just spam block button for alright results. Also you could also parry swords and stuff but not mega big bosses, to give bit variety in terms of avoiding attacks.

3. Some kind of quest system, and dialog tress. No need to make it too big and I generally don't even like side quests.

4. No upgrade materials and simpler stats. It would more fun if I found new slightly more powerful weapon of different class, I could just start using it instead not using it due to having first to upgrade it.

5. Armor that matters, I don't really like leveling up vigor or endurance, just make armor powerful and have different stats, like vigor and endurance.

6. Fixed healing from start of the game with no way to upgrade it. Just make like 5 full heals. Its kind of fun since you would have risk and reward mechanic. Lower your health more you would heal, but riskier it is.

7. Boss challenge like Sekiro. ER went overboard.

8. Easy to use magic, that would act like small damage boost instead of complex stat driven system with op spells and shitty spells. Hold RT and press face button to blast 4 different spells of your choosing and mana regains little bit by dealing damage to enemies, melee included.

9. Improved bow mechanics, like hold LT and get bow with improved aim. Rechargeable bow of like 5 arrows, would Inzentive using bow for stunning few enemies out of group for instance.

11. More traditional story delivery and than cryptic item descriptions.
Those are all terrible ideas

T4keD0wN

Remove stats/numbers and rebalance accordingly - levels, weapon +1 upgrades, stats like INT, STR etc.
Keep equipment, trading wares and flask upgrade stuff, obviously
Compilee shaders
Offline transmog
Remove words BUT and HOLE from messages

Last edited:

Filben

Graphical fidelity and animations on Demon's Souls PS5 level.

Less convoluted and more straightforward multiplayer.

A little bit more of traditional storytelling.

Leave the rest as is.

sigmaZ

1. Make the XP rewards make more sense and appropriately represent risk and reward.
2. Streamline the capital area and end game pacing.
3. Have a level 99 level cap and make it easier to OP myself.

Bragr

Banned
Do not demand the players rely on guides to complete it. Better description on some items in the inventory on how to use them. Better direction on where to go so you don't get stuck for hours. Freshen up the combat. Fix all the mediocre-looking vegetation.

LordOfChaos

From Software really mostly just needs to take a breather on all this massive success and work for a while on upgrading their engine and its performance. If not perhaps looking at UE5...

Aenima

- Remove duplicated bosses and dungeons
- Balanced weapon skills for PVP
- Better way to track side quest objectives. Watching guides on the net to be able to finish a quest ruins the quest itself.
- More focused builds. 90% of the loot i found was useless to my build, making the game feel less rewarding after beating bosses.
- Better game engine

Last edited:

Zimmy68

You trying to take away the aspects of what makes souls games unique and different than the run of the mill ARPG.

Only improvement I would do is make coop easier from the start of the game and add in more non combative npcs. More locations like Jarsburg. That’s it. Games already perfect to me so any improvement is just supplemental.

Here's a video the other way...

If you want to call, "starts an attack immediately when a button is pressed" not input reading, well, ok.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Remove the jank in combat. The game has awful input lag, along with the terrible and jank combat movement.
The camera is really, really bad, specially against giant enemies.
Balance the difficulty. It's simply NOT FUN dying from two or three hits, it's not fun or fair, regardless of what try-hards and hardcore fans say, when it takes so long for you to kill a boss, making a mistake and dying is not fair or fun.
Stop making boss incompatible with your gameplay: some of the bosses are simply not made for Souls-like movement and are a better fit for either Bloodborne or Sekiro. ER characters are slow and move like molasses. Way too fast bosses are simply not balanced and are a bad fit for this game.
Also, don't make bosses that have infinite strings of combo, neither that keep running around from your attacks, this sucks af for melee characters.
Make respec easier, stop charging items for it, charge exp instead if you must.
Make the mechanics less dumb and more intuitive.
Make the side quests make actual sense and easier to follow.

All of this coming from a person that played all of the games. ER is the most unfun of them by a mile.

Last edited:
After finishing the game, I wanted to go through people's dungeons and help them etc.

But I only seem to get summoned at Melania and the person I'm helping would die near instantly.

It got boring fast.

I'm just waiting for a good expansion now, my experience through the game itself though was absolutely incredible.
Yeah being able to deactivate summing pools would be great.

Saber

Gold Member
I sincerelly find silly to give Sekiro crap mechanics when this game is not Sekiro(I mean nothing against it, but if you like it go play Sekiro). Also the quest thing its just straight stupid, goes against the idea of Elden Ring trying to be nothing like other generic open worlds.

I guess if I want to improve the game I would add more different types of enemies and bosses.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
more bosses, movesets variety, and more actual useful magics....

bbeach123

Combat fix :

-Timed block , block when the attack hit you , negate damages when success ,doesnt use your stamina, or only 1/2 or 1/3 of normal block stamina. Make blocking with 2h weapon viable . There a mod like this on PC .

-Make sp regen and scale with 3 mage stats OR make Ash of war DO NOT USE SP , but have internal cooldown like GOW . Make them less spammable and and make player actually want to use them .

-Have two ash of war slot . One weapon's and one replaceable .

-Make input reading enemy had random chance to input reading , roll a dice before they do this shit . NOT 100% , its jarring .

-Camera pullout a bit (maybe 50% more) when boss do some unique attack .

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just wish they'd do something surprising.

Their output is extremely formulaic at this point.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Combat fix :

-Timed block , block when the attack hit you , negate damages when success ,doesnt use your stamina, or only 1/2 or 1/3 of normal block stamina. Make blocking with 2h weapon viable . There a mod like this on PC .

-Make sp regen and scale with 3 mage stats OR make Ash of war DO NOT USE SP , but have internal cooldown like GOW . Make them less spammable and and make player actually want to use them .

-Have two ash of war slot . One weapon's and one replaceable .

-Make input reading enemy had random chance to input reading , roll a dice before they do this shit . NOT 100% , its jarring .

-Camera pullout a bit (maybe 50% more) when boss do some unique attack .
Could get behind some of these.

The snow area needed a legacy dungeon.

Some of the boss AoE attacks feel simply unfair.

I actually think ashes of war being welded to the weapons would be better, like in DS3.

More fleshed-out PvP.

Other than that… I like it just the way it is. I think people will be playing it for as long as they do Skyrim

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

It's the same damn thing, lol, specially if they don't react to certain types of healing, but they do for some. It's jarring. It's boring, it's annoying, it's not fair. Specially when they can cover a lot of ground with a single attack, effectively stopping you from healing.

bbeach123

Here's a video the other way...

If you want to call, "starts an attack immediately when a button is pressed" not input reading, well, ok.

I think its a oversight or someone fuck up . IIrc in dark souls 2 and dark souls 3 we had input reading enemy too . THe infamous Pontiff Estus denied .
But its not 100% , some time he does , sometime he dont .

I dont know why the fuck in elden ring SOME ENEMY HAVE 100% chance to do this shit .

Last edited:

SSfox

Well maybe would like a bit more challenging NG+ but overall...I wouldn't touch it, perfect as it is.

By fixing Stuttering & Judder and adding Bloodborne's dodge instead of nonstop stone roll mechanic.

Last edited:
1. An actual story that makes sense
No, their narrative structure being as obtuse as it is is one of the things that gives the game its unique flavor. It does make sense while still leaving a lot of gaps for interpretation. I agree it's not the most approachable way to tell a story without excluding a majority of casual/mainstream gamers who are used to story-driven narratives that hold your hand through cutscenes and a lot of exposition in order to deliver their story. However, there is no wrong with the way story is told in Elden Ring or games that rely a lot on giving information to the players through item descriptions and more cryptic methods.

It's a simple case of "Different strokes for different folks". The game is great, the gameplay is good enough as an evolution of the Souls formula with a less irritating gaming design (boss checkpoints, more streamlined matchmaking, multiple re-specs per playthrough, etc.), tons of content, amazing worldbuilding and lore.

Bartski

Gold Member
Start from scratch on inverse kinematics for traversing uneven terrain. Especially for larger enmies. Better animation tech overall

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Remove it from The Game Awards GOTY nomination and aword it with review scores it truly deserves - 6,5-7/10 at best.

What people doing all these months since release is increased the feeling of self-importance for all at From for basically doing nothing of value and nothing even remotely new and interesting in the grand sheme of things. The same thing was done to BioWare after their DA: Inquisition, which was completely destroyed half a year later by The Witcher 3, which completely devalued any aword BioWare got for this pos of a game and later we got ME Andromeda.

Sekiro is by far way better and way more interesting and even unique game when it comes to gameplay and combat, that's what they should be doing instead of making the same shit over and over again and changing very little (if anything at all) as well. I've played and finished Elden Ring, it's nothing more but OK and I liked Demon's Souls Remake way more, even though it's not a new game.

Last edited:

Metnut

More legacy dungeons. Less random minor dungeons with shitty rewards. Less upgrading needed to try new equipment and weapons.

Don’t mind a “hard” game, but I felt a lot of ER bosses were cheese. Thought the bosses in DS3 were more fun.

Top Bottom