• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZephyrFate said:
I'm sorry, since when is it discrimination that a group of people who generally can get/do everything suddenly can't do one thing?

Do you know what discrimination means?

EDIT: I'm not taking a stance in whatever silly argument you're having with that other poster, but your logic in that post is completely moronic.

LaserBuddha said:
Do you know what discrimination means?
Oh, I know what it means, but does anyone honestly care when a man, who generally gets the most positive benefits out of society/what have you... can't do something? Like fucking FIELD HOCKEY?

Next up we'll get people complaining that white people have it rough in America.

Satyamdas

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I'm sorry, since when is it discrimination that a group of people who generally can get/do everything suddenly can't do one thing?

White man's burden, heterosexual complaining, men have it so rough, etc.

These are all facile and childish reasons to have an issue.
So what you're saying is, discrimination is cool as long as your sensibilities are not offended. And your reasoning for this is a bunch of nonsensical strawmen that have nothing to do with anything? Gotcha.

Satyamdas said:
So what you're saying is, discrimination is cool as long as your sensibilities are not offended. And your reasoning for this is a bunch of nonsensical strawmen that have nothing to do with anything? Gotcha.
Nah, what I'm saying is that men generally have it awesome like all the time throughout history, so when they can't play a middling sport like field hockey why the hell should people raise hell?

White man's burden is almost exactly the same damn thing.

Satyamdas

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Nah, what I'm saying is that men generally have it awesome like all the time throughout history, so when they can't play a middling sport like field hockey why the hell should people raise hell?

White man's burden is almost exactly the same damn thing.
What the fuck does ANY of this have to do with white man's burden or history?? The point is simple. If girls should be allowed into boys sports so that we can attempt to bring about equality, why the fuck does it not work the other way? What is equal about barring boys from girls teams but letting girls on boys teams? This has fuck all to do with men "having it awesome", and everything to do with consistency and equality.

Your repeated references to white people are sweet though. Your white guilt is so tangible I can almost grab it through the monitor.

Satyamdas said:
What the fuck does ANY of this have to do with white man's burden or history?? The point is simple. If girls should be allowed into boys sports so that we can attempt to bring about equality, why the fuck does it not work the other way? What is equal about barring boys from girls teams but letting girls on boys teams? This has fuck all to do with men "having it awesome", and everything to do with consistency and equality.

Your repeated references to white people are sweet though. Your white guilt is so tangible I can almost grab it through the monitor.
So... if we're going to keep things consistent, we should let men do everything, and women do nothing... instead of mixing the two.

I have absolutely no white guilt. I bring up 'white man's burden' because complaining about white people having it so rough is absolutely as ridiculous as complaining about men not being able to play one sport.

eznark

Banned
Dude Abides said:
A girl wrestling boys her same size = a boy playing against girls he dwarfs.

You can do better.
It just reminded me of that old Reilly article. Shit was 10 years ago, I deserve a medal!

I don't give a shit about this story, just like that Reilly article since he rips the kid.

ZephyrFate said:
Oh, I know what it means, but does anyone honestly care when a man, who generally gets the most positive benefits out of society/what have you... can't do something? Like fucking FIELD HOCKEY?

Next up we'll get people complaining that white people have it rough in America.

Saying something isn't discrimination =/= thinking it isn't worth complaining about.

But still, your logic is stupid.

I don't give a fuck about men not playing field hockey. Most who would say otherwise in this discussion probably don't actually care.

That said, what if I really loved field hockey? How is it relevant at all that I am allowed to play football, if I have no interest in football?

Hell, I also have the exclusively male "benefit" of sticking my penis into another man's ass if I want. Being a heterosexual, how is that a benefit?

Citing the "privileges" of the target demographic is probably the most classic justification for bigotry, you know. Just want to remind you of the kind of people you're standing with when you use that logic.

I'm stating that the privileges are there and are unfortunately inherent, I do not agree with them (which is why I think it was fucking retarded this idiot refused to wrestle a girl), but to say that suddenly these 'rights' or 'privileges' are being infringed upon because the unfortunately dominant gender can't play field hockey or whatever is hilarious to me.

THIS TOPIC is about discrimination, men not being able to play field hockey isn't. Plain and simple.

As for your weird sexuality point, sex is for more than just reproduction so it could still be a benefit.

ZephyrFate said:
So... if we're going to keep things consistent, we should let men do everything, and women do nothing... instead of mixing the two.

I don't even understand what kind of failed logic led to this statement.

I have absolutely no white guilt. I bring up 'white man's burden' because complaining about white people having it so rough is absolutely as ridiculous as complaining about men not being able to play one sport.

You have GOT to be a troll. There are some dumb people around but no one is this dumb.

tiff

Banned
Satyamdas said:
What is equal about barring boys from girls teams but letting girls on boys teams?
If we're to assume that boys on average are physically superior to girls and thus enjoy an enormous advantage in the realm of sport, then letting boys compete in girls' sports effectively leave girls unable to compete in their own sports. That simply doesn't happen in the opposite case.

Also what the fuck does white man's burden have to do with boys playing field hockey.

LaserBuddha said:
I don't even understand what kind of failed logic led to this statement.

You have GOT to be a troll. There are some dumb people around but no one is this dumb.
You have absolutely no idea what I'm getting at, so I'll just ignore you from now on.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bungalow Bob said:
Let this serve as a lesson to the bullshitters of this forum. If you're going to exaggerate, keep it realistic. Don't, for example, do what this jabroni did and claim to have been an endurance athlete who was stronger than the strongest American powerlifter ever in his age and weight category.

Oh, and Dan, although the girls couldn't ever hope to come even close to being that strong, I bet they could lie just as convincingly as you.
1zciop1.jpg

Satyamdas

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
How do you come to this ridiculous conclusion? If girls are allowed to compete with boys (they should), then boys should also be allowed to compete with girls (they should). This scenario best exemplifies the gender equality everyone gives so much lip service to. Or is being equal not really that important after all?

ZephyrFate said:
I think you have plenty of white guilt. Because you rush to mention white man's burden and the "privilege" of white people in a case where no one is complaining about anything. For fucks sake the article about the boy playing field hockey basically shit on the parents of the boy for letting him play with the girls, even though he has the constitutional right to do so. I don't think anyone would give two shits if a boy wasn't allowed to play field hockey, but you can bet the pitchforks would be brought out in an instant if this girl wasn't allowed to wrestle with boys.

So discrimination is cool as long as ZephyrFate feels that the people being discriminated against are white, male, or privileged. Oh, and heterosexual. Your persecution complex is the stuff of legends.

You have COMPLETELY misunderstood what I have said. Seriously, that is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I was talking about. In fact, I'm even confused as to how you came to read what I said the complete opposite way.

I said it can't be discrimination when the people who are discriminated against already have everything. And I'm not just sugarcoating it or trying to empower myself, that's pretty fucking stone cold truth. If you're white, male, heterosexual, and preferably religious, you probably have it well off in most of the world.

If anything, these are the type of people discriminating against everyone else.

But go ahead, twist them around ENTIRELY. God, you are ridiculous. Women have spent all history being oppressed by absolutely everyone around them. Heaven forbid people raise a fire and go into mob craziness if a woman was not given an equal opportunity. Wait, that should apply to men, too, who have NEVER been discriminated against EVER!

Satyamdas

Banned
tiff said:
If we're to assume that boys on average are physically superior to girls and thus enjoy an enormous advantage in the realm of sport, then letting boys compete in girls' sports effectively leave girls unable to compete in their own sports. That simply doesn't happen in the opposite case.
Them's the fucking breaks. If we really want equality, and it's not just some bullshit platitude we hold up to make ourselves appear progressive and superior to those who decry it, then that is something that comes along with it.

ZephyrFate said:
You have absolutely no idea what I'm getting at, so I'll just ignore you from now on.

You're right, I don't, and no one else does either. Because it's illogical nonsense. It's also offensive.

tiff

Banned
Satyamdas said:
Them's the fucking breaks. If we really want equality, and it's not just some bullshit platitude we hold up to make ourselves appear progressive and superior to those who decry it, then that is something that comes along with it.
are you fucking around right now or what

Dude Abides

Banned
eznark said:
It just reminded me of that old Reilly article. Shit was 10 years ago, I deserve a medal!

I don't give a shit about this story, just like that Reilly article since he rips the kid.

Fair enough. Reilly 2011 would never slam a high-schooler.

tiff said:
are you fucking around right now or what

He's right. It's either gender-equal or it isn't. There isn't a gray area. If you want the gender integration thing to be a one-way street then you're not actually in favor of equality at all.

If you agree that you aren't for gender equality, then that's fine. If that's the case though, then what cause are you fighting for?

I say all of this as someone who favors gender segregation in most sports.

tiff said:

He doesn't get It and likely never will. He's too blinded by "LolZ, you wanted equally, I'll give you equality" to see the giant difference smacking him the face like a giant dick.

If a boy wanted in a girl's activity that girls normally excelled in over most boys, then they should be allowed in. That would be equity obviously.

tiff

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
He's right. It's either gender-equal or it isn't. There isn't a gray area. If you want the gender integration thing to be a one-way street then you're not actually in favor of equality at all.

If you agree that you aren't for gender equality, then that's fine. If that's the case though, then what cause are you fighting for?

I say all of this as someone who favors gender segregation in most sports.
uh I already explained why two-way gender integration isn't at all equal.

ZephyrFate said:
It's only offensive because you didn't understand a single goddamn word.

No, I did understand the part where you asserted that white men deserve discrimination as some kind of reparations for whatever beef you have. The logic you used in every point you tried to argue is what didn't make sense.
Note: by "didn't make sense", I mean in the "2+2=5" way.

I don't know what offends me more though:

-your overt sexism/racism,
-the ridiculous notion that freedom and equality is a zero-sum game, where everything (no matter how irrelevant) that generally comes with being a certain gender/race is a factor in deciding whether it is okay to discriminate against someone. YOU DO NOT FUCKING KNOW, MUCH LESS APPRECIATE, WHAT DISCRIMINATION MEANS. This is made further aggravating by the pretense that an individual's entire identity and experiences can even come close to being determined solely by their race and/or gender.

Satyamdas

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
You have COMPLETELY misunderstood what I have said. Seriously, that is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I was talking about. In fact, I'm even confused as to how you came to read what I said the complete opposite way.

I said it can't be discrimination when the people who are discriminated against already have everything. And I'm not just sugarcoating it or trying to empower myself, that's pretty fucking stone cold truth. If you're white, male, heterosexual, and preferably religious, you probably have it well off in most of the world.

But go ahead, twist them around ENTIRELY. God, you are ridiculous. Women have spent all history being oppressed by absolutely everyone around them. Heaven forbid people raise a fire and go into mob craziness if a woman was not given an equal opportunity. Wait, that should apply to men, too, who have NEVER been discriminated against EVER!
Wow, hyperventilate much? The white male guilt you are carrying around has to be weighed in the gigaton range. It's probably visible from space.

I won't bother addressing anything except the bolded, because it clearly shows that you don't know what the word discrimination means if you think that the race, sex, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation of a person in any way prevents them from being discriminated against.

I'm not talking about historical privilege, which I agree has existed. But if you think that because someone is white, male, religious, and heterosexual that they are magically immune to all form of exclusion and discrimination, you are batshit. But I knew that already. :)

Neki

ZephyrFate said:

Do you even know what discrimination means?

unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice

-OR-

Within sociology, 'discrimination' is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based solely on their membership in a certain group or category. Discrimination is the actual behavior towards members of another group. It involves excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to other groups.[2]

I guess your point is that because one group has everything (teh white man) it isn't unfair? I don't see anything here about the white man's burden.

Satyamdas

Banned
tiff said:
uh I already explained why two-way gender integration isn't at all equal.
And I agree with that. My only point was that people crying about making things "equal" don't really know what they are asking for. When things are equal we don't discriminate at all.

If it's ok for girls to wrestle but not for boys to play field hockey, then we are asking for accommodations to be made for one group, which is not equality. And I'm fine with that.

DY_nasty

Satyamdas said:
Started right here.
I probably don't see that as the same thing you see it as... but, I will say that it isn't so much an ethical equality issue as it is a practical, reality issue.

There are Men's Lacrosse and Field Hockey leagues set up at high schools across the country. They won't be as prevalent as football or basketball, but they'll definitely dwarf girl's wrestling leagues in comparison.

I don't think that there will ever be a sufficient solution for that particular problem other than allowing the girls to participate with the guys should they accept the fact that it'll likely be an uphill fight most of the time.

tiff

Banned
Satyamdas said:
And I agree with that. My only point was that people crying about making things "equal" don't really know what they are asking for. When things are equal we don't discriminate at all.

If it's ok for girls to wrestle but not for boys to play field hockey, then we are asking for accommodations to be made for one group, which is not equality. And I'm fine with that.
I'd argue that making accommodations for one group is equality when that group would otherwise be disadvantaged.

For instance, in this situation, both groups are able to participate in sports that they have a fair chance of competing in. That's equality.

Satyamdas

Banned
DY_nasty said:
I probably don't see that as the same thing you see it as... but, I will say that it isn't so much an ethical equality issue as it is a practical, reality issue.

There are Men's Lacrosse and Field Hockey leagues set up at high schools across the country. They won't be as prevalent as football or basketball, but they'll definitely dwarf girl's wrestling leagues in comparison.
You don't see what the same as I see it as? I agree that it's more of a practical issue than a pure equality one. I don't have any problem at all with accommodating girls with respect to sports integration.

But to start going batshit about white man's burden and the privilege of the white male throughout history? Or to insist that white males who are religious and heterosexual can't be discriminated against? How the fuck is any of that relevant?

DY_nasty

Satyamdas said:
But to start going batshit about white man's burden and the privilege of the white male throughout history? Or to insist that white males who are religious and heterosexual can't be discriminated against? How the fuck is any of that relevant?
I assume that he was going on about how, in comparison to others, they've had it pretty easy. Not that they never get discriminated against.

Satyamdas

Banned
tiff said:
I'd argue that making accommodations for one group is equality when that group would otherwise be disadvantaged.

For instance, in this situation, both groups are able to participate in sports that they have a fair chance of competing in. That's equality.
But you'd be wrong. You'd be twisting the definition of equality in order to make it fit where it actually doesn't.

By excluding boys from playing field hockey, but allowing girls to wrestle, you are discriminating against one group but not the other. Now this is fine because it is a practical solution to the problem of the difference in physicality between boys and girls, but it is not an example of pure equality. Equality would mean that boys and girls could all play any sport they wanted. When it comes to sports, I don't think shooting for pure gender equality is a worthwhile endeavor. It is better to make concessions and accommodations where they make the most sense.

DY_nasty said:
I assume that he was going on about how, in comparison to others, they've had it pretty easy. Not that they never get discriminated against.
Hmmmm, let's take a look, shall we?

ZephyFate said:
Women have spent all history being oppressed by absolutely everyone around them. Heaven forbid people raise a fire and go into mob craziness if a woman was not given an equal opportunity. Wait, that should apply to men, too, who have NEVER been discriminated against EVER!

Neki

DY_nasty said:
No, that's the exact point he's trying to make.

tiff

Banned
Satyamdas said:
But you'd be wrong. You'd be twisting the definition of equality in order to make it fit where it actually doesn't.

By excluding boys from playing field hockey, but allowing girls to wrestle, you are discriminating against one group but not the other. Now this is fine because it is a practical solution to the problem of the different in physicality between boys and girls, but it is not an example of pure equality. Equality would mean that boys and girls could all play any sport they wanted. When it comes to sports, I don't think shooting for pure gender equality is a worthwhile endeavor. It is better to make concessions and accommodations where they make the most sense.
I'm not twisting anything, I'm just looking at it from a different perspective. You're talking about the equality of the means themselves. I'm more concerned with the equality of the outcome.

If the "equal" solution produces a decidedly unequal outcome (as is the case here) then I couldn't tell you that the solution was truly equal. The means themselves may have been based upon the concept of equality, but it certainly couldn't be called "pure equality."

But would you want to argue the ends justfies the means?

I think that what you want is an equal opportunity for people to play the sports they like. If that means there are no women's wrestling tournaments and she wants to play with the men, so be it. If that means there are no men's field hockey teams and he wants to play with the women, so be it.

tiff

Banned
timetokill said:
But would you want to argue the ends justfies the means?

I think that what you want is an equal opportunity for people to play the sports they like. If that means there are no women's wrestling tournaments and she wants to play with the men, so be it. If that means there are no men's field hockey teams and he wants to play with the women, so be it.
That's not what I want, though, because I'd think that any man competing in a female league is likely to enjoy an unfair advantage due to his sex.

tiff said:
That's not what I want, though, because I'd think that any man competing in a female league is likely to enjoy an unfair advantage due to his sex.

Yes, the men in a mixed field hockey league would have an unfair advantage over the women. The men in a mixed wrestling league would also have an unfair advantage over the women.

Do you see the important point you're missing here?

Satyamdas

Banned
tiff said:
I'm not twisting anything, I'm just looking at it from a different perspective. You're talking about the equality of the means themselves. I'm more concerned with the equality of the outcome.

If the "equal" solution produces a decidedly unequal outcome (as is the case here) then I couldn't tell you that the solution was truly equal.
Look, I understand the desire for an equitable outcome where no one is dominated or left out of the sport they wish to play, be it boy or girl. That would be great.

Reality dictates that this is not the case, and so what people do is exclude boys, or provide concessions to girls in order to forge a semblance of this ideal we wish was present in reality already. This solution is not perfectly balanced. As such, the outcome is not equal either. There will be some kid who is excluded from the sport he wants to play, so why is his desire to play less worthy than someone else's? This inherent inequality of the sexes can't be erased by any amount of inclusion or exclusion. Someone will always get screwed.

Discrimination and exclusion for one group and accommodations for another group is not equality in practice, nor does it bring about an equitable outcome. All it provides is the illusion of one. It's just not possible for there to be a solution which is fair to all. All I'm saying is that the word "equal" doesn't really fit in any of these scenarios, because everything we are doing is in acknowledgment of the basic inequality of male and female physiology. It's a crude way to "fix" the discrepancy and while it might be the best we've got, it's not equality in any form or fashion.

tiff said:
But what if there was no male equivalent league for him to play in? You can't say that the outcome is equal if he is left in the cold but the girls get to play what they want.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ZephyrFate said:
If you're white, male, heterosexual, and preferably religious, you probably have it well off in most of the world.
I hate to lose the argument this way but white people of jewish faith apparently had it pretty rough last century. Nothing like getting an automatic win in a round of a wrestling competition of course.

Neki

LaserBuddha said:
Yes, the men in a mixed field hockey league would have an unfair advantage over the women. The men in a mixed wrestling league would also have an unfair advantage over the women.

Do you see the important point you're missing here?

You bring up a good point, I'm really confused what tiff is arguing now. How is mixed wrestling different from mixed hockey leagues?

Dan Yo

Banned
Bungalow Bob said:
How tall were you at the time? What was your strength training programming and history, in a nut shell? It's just that if you make extraordinary claims, you've got to provide some evidence if you want people to even consider believing you.
I was about 5'8. The closest I came to exaggerating is that I probably weighed closer to between 135 and 140. I don't see why you consider the claims "extraordinary". I was likely pound for pound the strongest in my school (on bench at least), but the buddies I weight lifted with were all no more than 155 and could all bench about 300 if not just under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom