• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender Teen (Female to Male) wins regional wrestling title; Lawsuit file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenov

Remember, sports are serious enough business that trans rights should be secondary to your child getting a shiny medal.

I mean, aren't you pushing for a trans right to compete to receive that shiny medal here? Everyone wants a chance at the shiny medal, which is why it's an issue to begin with.

tcrunch

Best on looking around, in general, these graphs kind of show the differences in male vs female testosterone levels.

graph_men.gif

graph_women.gif

I want him to be able to wrestle, and he should wrestle in the division he wants to.

These graphs are actually profoundly misleading for comparing men and women in overall testosterone levels, look at the scale on the y-axes.

edit: lol
p2BD83C.png

Jenov

These graphs are actually profoundly misleading for comparing men and women in overall testosterone levels, look at the scale on the y-axes.

Yeah, that graph, when read correctly, shows a huge discrepancy in testosterone levels between sexes, over 10x difference. So no, he shouldn't be competing with in the women's league. But the ire should be directed at the league making the stringent rules, and not so much the trans student.

Ketkat

Of course I do, don't patronise me.

But are those tests inspected and determined to fall within restrictions out by the organisers of this event? Are random blood tests performed? Of course not.

They are tests that measure every type of testosterone/estrogen in a person's body. And obviously the event hasn't set any restrictions like that or else they would let him compete in the men's.

What more do you really want? What feasible solution do you have that isn't resolved by having him compete in the men's?

edit: lol
p2BD83C.png

I know, this is what I was trying to portray by posting them. It shows that someone taking testosterone to become male could have a huge advantage, it just depends on the levels he has right now.

Even if he only has 200 mg/Dl, its a huge advantage.

danthefan

I can't see how it's fair that someone taking testosterone gets to compete in sporting events... I mean it's basically like taking a PED isn't it? Obviously this is for a proper reason and not cheating but the outcome is effectively the same.

Ketkat

I can't see how it's fair that someone taking testosterone gets to compete in sporting events... I mean it's basically like taking a PED isn't it? Obviously this is for a proper reason and not cheating but the outcome is effectively the same.

Its allowed in other sporting events, as long as its monitored, which someone trans taking it gets regular blood tests.

Ketkat

I don't really see how that's fair at all but ok.

Because testosterone isn't a magical thing we can't measure. We can see the levels of it in someone's blood, and we can see if it fits within regulations. Some people medically need it, for instance, the guy in the original post. They shouldn't be disbarred from all sporting events when we can easily see that these people have the same testosterone levels as everyone else.

It's not fair, hence why so many people are not ok with this. If all the girls that lost to Beggs were on steroids, then it would be fair game.
Yes, because we all know that people are being rational about this. Very rational.
We definitely know there aren't any ulterior motives behind hating a transgender athlete WHO WANTS TO COMPETE IN THE MEN'S DIVISION BUT CAN'T BECAUSE OF REGULATIONS.
So yeah, let's just all hate him. Not the system.

Yes, because we all know that people are being rational about this. Very rational.
We definitely know there aren't any ulterior motives behind hating a transgender athlete WHO WANTS TO COMPETE IN THE MEN'S DIVISION BUT CAN'T BECAUSE OF REGULATIONS.
So yeah, let's just all hate him. Not the system.

Who are you responding to?

I hope more transgender boys dominate state titles in the girls divisions. It would eventually force this stupid "birth certificate rule" in Texas to be changed so transgendered students in the future can compete against opponents that match their gender identity instead of being forced to compete against opponents that match the sex on their birth certificate.

Yoritomo

Of course I do, don't patronise me.

But are those tests inspected and determined to fall within restrictions out by the organisers of this event? Are random blood tests performed? Of course not.

They're probably more rigorous than random blood tests for a trans person transitioning.

They're trying to transition someone's physical traits towards their (non-birth) gender. There's so much shit that can go sideways with artificial hormones. Not just T levels but estrogen levels. The balance of the two.

I have a feeling he has much better records of hormones at any given point than even an IOC monitored athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom