• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei states their smartphone is superior to Nintendo Switch

FStubbs

Huawei's phone is 7nm with the fastest andriod SoC, Kirin 980. Its simply miles ahead. I think I'd compare switch to a two years old samsung flagship. And price wise the $299 POCCO F1 blows it out of the water.

Kirin surpassed Snapdragon and Exynos?

Probably still light years behind Apple's chips.

RScrewed

My Honda Pilot is better than Xbox One X.

I like sentiment, but you should've stuck to something with 4 wheels. The Switch and the cell phone are both mobile electronic devices with touchscreens that can play video games.

I'd say your Honda Pilot is wayyy better than an ATV.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No Nintendo magic on that phone.

If they want to take on the switch they need games

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
Oh look another brand thinking its all about hardware and completely lacking any understanding of how Nintendo comes out top

Helios

Your logic about not having Mario on is weird OP. If their intention is to compare 2 portable devices that can play games then why not? See what each can achieve with the specs they offer.
Game library is important. While I never cared about Nintendo games I'd rather have those than mobile ones. Because of the different market it'll probably still sell well in Asia.

onlyoneno1

Seems like a fail to me. Power does not mean everything. The biggest fail of this phone as a gaming device is that it only has physical buttons on the left for movement and there are no face buttons.

Dante83

Banned
I saw their presentation. It was embarrassing seeing the guy talk with his broken english. He should have hired an english speaker. The entire presentation was about comparing their phone to other phones instead of talking more about their own phone and features. Also, that "one more thing" reveal which was the mate 20x was so played out and old, taking a page from apple. There are better phones out there that are more powerful than the Mate 20X. Iphone XS/Max I feel is still the more powerful phone.

Last edited:

ar0s

Where are the right hand side's buttons? What the hell am I looking at? Looks awful and I would pay almost anything for a proper Xperia Play 2.

Akuza89

So it's better because it can run arena of valor? ... no. That's not how it works.

Come back when your playing something like mario oddyssey or wolfenstein on it.

JaffeLion

Banned
Even if you ignore the price difference..A big draw maybe the biggest on any nintendo platform are the exclusives.
you dont understand how it works. Those specs means SHIT if it is not optimized. Android is a freaking, unoptimized mess, that's why battery life is horrible and everything is so slow compared to iPhone, although iPhones have a much smaller battery and lower clock, they still destroy any android out there. Why? Because they are perfectly optimized. Same with any console. They are optimized.

danielberg

Neophyte
you dont understand how it works. Those specs means SHIT if it is not optimized. Android is a freaking, unoptimized mess, that's why battery life is horrible and everything is so slow compared to iPhone, although iPhones have a much smaller battery and lower clock, they still destroy any android out there. Why? Because they are perfectly optimized. Same with any console. They are optimized.

Not even talking about those specs, rather the stupid comparison between a gaming platform that sells on exclusives and a smartphone.
Also i get that most smartphones are a step down vs your average old nokia or samsung mobile phone in battery hours, Planned Obsolescence, software reaction times and hell even usability.
Which is why after being forced to replace my first smartphone after 2 years use i instead switched back to my old samsung mobile that does nothing else than sms and telephone, because i dont need any more lol
Now i have a phone with replaceable battery, lasts a week on one charge, doesn't have software issues, needs no update's, is easy to use and seemingly never breaks. Smartphones are a bit a joke to me

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well that's it selling my switch. POS console.
imma play my mario zelda smash games on the huawei,

nintendo is doomed

mitchman

Gold Member
Here you go, nothing proven it looks like but it is the company I was thinking of.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...nese-espionage-huawei-zte-congress/356095002/
1k phone that can't play any good games with malware/spyware built in to the hardware

lol fuck off Huawei

Just speculation and no evidence.

Lol huawei. Just fuck off, Chinese ripoff crap.

Huawei P20 Pro is still the best camera phone out there. https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-p20-pro-camera-review-innovative-technologies-outstanding-results/. "ripoff crap" not so much.

This is the dumbest shit. Also aren't Huawei devices banned in some countries because they're a security threat?

There is no proven threat, just speculation that because they are Chinese, they might be security issues with them. In the UK, GCHQ and Huawei setup up this to vet their phones: https://assets.publishing.service.g...HCSEC_Oversight_Board_Report_2018_-_FINAL.pdf

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah but who is this marketed for? I know kids are spoiled nowadays but not $999 spoiled.
The average gamer is 30, I believe. That's the market they'll be aiming at. Even with it's kiddie games, I doubt the people who buy the most for Switch are actual kids.

At that price, the Huawei should be superior to the PS5 and next Xbox.
Phones have been out pricing consoles for years. Whilst people were losing their shit over the PS3's 699 price, it was still cheaper than that years iPhone and it went on to last 8-odd years. The next iPhone came out the year after, it was also priced higher and sold better.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Not at $900 with half a controller. It may have better specs than the Switch, but the Switch is actually a much better designed and more affordable device with a better library. Saying your system has 500 omniflops and unlimited ram pumped into it means nothing if it's expensive as hell and lacks a compelling lineup. And people wonder why Nintendo dominates the dedicated mobile gaming space, their competitors continue to not learn their lesson.

Huawei sells way, way more phones than Nintendo does Switches. It's a weird talking point, sure, but the phone market is huge and now they are second to only Samsung, I think.

qIw80tz.jpg

I think that Huawei should be more worried about their true competitors rather than worry about something that doesn't even make sense to compare their product to. Power is never the be-all, end-all of a product. Most average joes/average janes doesn't give a shit about that.

And that price tag, yikes!

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Switch will probably be able to produce better graphics still, as it seems they are basing their "better" on just the 3 bullet points: 1080p/7.2" display/6 hour battery.

Low overhead plus thermal envelope plus optimized games.

Jubenhimer

Huawei sells way, way more phones than Nintendo does Switches. It's a weird talking point, sure, but the phone market is huge and now they are second to only Samsung, I think.

People buy phones because they're essential communication devices. It's how they call friends, family, and bosses, it's how they access social media on the go, it's how they organize their life. Gaming is possibly one of the last things anybody would buy a phone for. Switch obviously isn't going to reach the ubiquity of a phone, but it doesn't need to. It succeeds by selling itself as a companion or complimentary device to a phone, offering things that phones can't do.

jadedm17

And how many cutting edge smartphones?
You saw the thread title and subject being discussed... right? Seriously just trying to sidestep ?

The comparison to a Switch is a ridiculous claim if you're 3x the price - All the power in the world doesn't get Zelda and Smash Bros on your platform.

People buy phones because they're essential communication devices. It's how they call friends, family, and bosses, it's how they access social media on the go, it's how they organize their life. Gaming is possibly one of the last things anybody would buy a phone for. Switch obviously isn't going to reach the ubiquity of a phone, but it doesn't need to. It succeeds by selling itself as a companion or complimentary device to a phone, offering things that phones can't do.
Dedicated device.
Your iPhone X can take solid pictures but a dedicated camera does better.

It's great your phone is more powerful than Switch for games but if you're not gonna make great games then I don't care. (See also 3DS being popular stil.)

Last edited:

nowhat

You and me both. I wish Sony would hurry up with the announcement.
In the meantime - they should get their heads out of their asses and release Remote Play for all Android devices. Sure, some limits for supported models can be imposed depending on specs, but to limit it (officially, without people having to download random APKs from the net that may stop to work on a whim) just to Xperia phones is just retarded.

(not that I have anything against Xperia phones as such, owned both Z2 and Z3c and liked both)

Raynes

I highly doubt that considering you need a really good pc to even emulate botw right now in any barely functioning way.

My Laptop from 2013 is shit tier today. 6gb ram, i7 3632, AMD Radeon HD 7730M and I was still able to complete BOTW with some speed hacks. It came with hiccups but everything worked fine and I managed to complete it.

danielberg

Neophyte
My Laptop from 2013 is shit tier today. 6gb ram, i7 3632, AMD Radeon HD 7730M and I was still able to complete BOTW with some speed hacks. It came with hiccups but everything worked fine and I managed to complete it.

You still have the same hiccups with a 1080, a 7700k cpu and 16gb of ram. Hell you cant even run a n64 emulator on a phone in any passable way.

LordOfChaos

High end smartphones are a lot more powerful than the Switch, and I'd be interested in gaming on them with vice grip controllers like that.

BUT...The games just aren't there. Mobile fare sucks. The pricing pressure of the app store pushes things sub 10 dollars, and on Android even free, while the Switch can run full price AAA games.

Mattyp

Gold Member
You still have the same hiccups with a 1080, a 7700k cpu and 16gb of ram. Hell you cant even run a n64 emulator on a phone in any passable way.

You're not wrong but I think the issue with the N64 etc is the hardware they where built on. The chip design being completely different to today's with no documentation. I don't think we will have this issue with the switch, the hardware is very much alike to what everyone is already running so perfect emulation should come a lot easier and quicker. This will be a future problem for Nintendo as each console release seems to be continually slower than whats readily available, and they should be thankful that Apple has their iOS so gardened because I have no doubt the A12 would give the majority of switch games already a good crack with emulation if we're only worried about running at 30fps and at 720p.

Last edited:

JCK75

Appears they want us to use touch on the right side with no physical buttons.. that is dog poop

PocoJoe

Banned

If iphones are so good, why so many iphone owner buys new over priced phone every year?

While android phone will last 2-4 years easily.

I have oneplus 3 from 2016, hard to imagine anything being much faster than how things run on this one. Aka no slowdowns in apps that I use.

399€, 2016, 6gb ram > 1200€ iphone 2018

Interesting claim, probably quite true also. The Tegra X2 was available for the original Switch but wasn't put in, likely due to Nintendo wanting to make more money on the original console. Though I imagine it poses a problem that other companies working on handheld technology, whether it's mobile phones or tablets will inevitably create a better product. It's a pair of controllers and TV connector away from a Switch. All three of which, can be bought separately on eBay from various third party vendors, it only takes one company to create the whole package and boom, contender.

Though I have to say, there is merit there. Bare in mind the P20 Pro is an incredibly good handset.

Top Bottom