• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubble Space telescope continues to impress

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

ultim8p00 said:
If God was real I'd beg him to take me on a trip throught the entire galaxy so I can see all this shit.

If we could live forever, there'd be nothing to stop us.

After all, if we have no time limit, not being able to go faster than light isn't much of an issue*.

*other than patience

I still want a 3hr epic, IMAX 3D movie featuring nothing but travelling through space and all its little divine oddities; to the sound of Philip Glass. Tree of life will have to suffice

CrazyDude

Willy105 said:
If we could live forever, there'd be nothing to stop us.

After all, if we have no time limit, not being able to go faster than light isn't much of an issue*.

*other than patience
Ships would still have to work, unless you feel like swimming through space for a very long time.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Not to spoil anyone's fun, but aren't these pics enhanced by artists, and the raw image looks rather uninteresting? wouldn't mind being shown otherwise.
Is this true? I want raw images. Anyone?

Centurion

Banned
DeathNote said:
Is this true? I want raw images. Anyone?

yea, i believe they enhance the observed radiation and color it in... but technically, everything in the pics represents what's there.

Max Armstrong said:
Dude, what the fuck. It's even bigger than I imagined.
and, given the fact that it's all constantly expanding, it will continue to be bigger than you ever imagined. Forever.

hawkward.gif

I mean...some of this stuff....

100421-hubble-hits-18.ss_full.jpg

100421-hubble-hits-10.ss_full.jpg

100421-hubble-hits-05.ss_full.jpg

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
No way. As it stands, we are the only known advanced life form. I'd say that's significant.
We are legends in our own minds.

Consciousness is amazing and neat. I'm sure it is pretty rare but given the size of the universe, there could be a lot out there. We just don't know. Everything is so far away and disperse.

Glasswork

And to think, on our own little planet we have so many beautiful landscapes, my brain just melts thinking about how many Grand Canyons a larger planet would have, never mind a galaxy ;A;

speculawyer said:
We are legends in our own minds.

Consciousness is amazing and neat. I'm sure it is pretty rare but given the size of the universe, there could be a lot out there. We just don't know. Everything is so far away and disperse.
Sure, the more we find out about the makeup of our galaxy and other galaxies, the more it seems we are most likely not alone. But that has yet to be proven and until that scrawny, big-headed turd polisher from outer space sets foot here, we are the kings of the fucking universe. We should enjoy it... .while we can.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The first picture of the galaxies merging is incredible.

Kinda surreal knowing that Andromeda and the Milky Way are going to do the same dance in billions of years time.

-viper-

Banned
How do they get the pictures from the Hubble Space Telescope? It doesn't return to earth. What kind of signal is transmitted from the telescope?

Also, what about batteries? I'm assuming it'll be solar powered?

Boonoo

NoRéN said:
And it's expanding.

Well it's not like the expansion is creating more stuff, just more distance. What's actually going to happen is that galaxies that aren't gravitationally bound together are going to move so far apart that they'll literally become invisible to one another. In the distant cosmic future people won't be able to see anything beyond their own galaxy, and they'll have a completely different cosmology because of it. All evidence of a Big Bang will have dissapeared, for example.

Here's an utterly fantastic talk on it.
The whole hour is worth watching. He really gets into the stuff I mentioned above in the last third or so.

zon

How can you guys not see it? I couldn't even make out the man riding bear thing before someone lined it out. Though now I can see a bear with his paws up in the air too.

One last try then.

0HFcB.jpg

oh7VB.jpg

speculawyer said:
We are so small and insignificant.

Scene 8. Int. Frogstar

[The Total Perspective Vortex door opens]

ZAPHOD:Hi.

GARGRAVARR: Beeblebrox! You’re…!

ZAPHOD: Fine, fine. Could I have a drink please?

GARGRAVARR: You’ve been in the Vortex?!

ZAPHOD: You saw me kid.

GARGRAVARR: And you saw the whole infinity of creation?!

ZAPHOD: The lot baby - it’s a real neat place you know, heh-heh.

GARGRAVARR: And you saw yourself in relation to it all?!

ZAPHOD: Yah, yeah, yeah.

GARGRAVARR: And what did you experience?!

ZAPHOD: It just told me what I knew all the time: I’m a really great guy! Didn’t I tell ya baby, I am Zaphod Beeblebrox!!

Has anyone seen this? I saw it at Best Buy, but I wasn't about to drop $30 on a blind buy.

51KvTX7uP1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
It's things like this that make it impossible for me to believe that we are the only life in the universe. Off to read Contact by Carl Sagan for the 4th time.

Amir0x

Banned
CrazyDude said:
Too bad it can kill you in a million ways.

A million amazing ways.

LuckyForward said:
Has anyone seen this? I saw it at Best Buy, but I wasn't about to drop $30 on a blind buy.

51KvTX7uP1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Some cool images but it's really more like an education tool for elementary school classrooms - very light on actual information, more like astronaut hero worship with a bit of amazing footage thrown in at every turn. But at only 40 minutes long it's really short on that. And with dreadful narration by Leonardo DiCaprio.

And the video focuses almost entirely on the mission to fix Hubble. They could have added an hour extra alone on analyzing all the amazing footage Hubble has captured over its life. Really weak overall.

Amir0x said:
Some cool images but it's really more like an education tool for elementary school classrooms - very light on actual information, more like astronaut hero worship with a bit of amazing footage thrown in at every turn. But at only 40 minutes long it's really short on that. And with dreadful narration by Leonardo DiCaprio.

And the video focuses almost entirely on the mission to fix Hubble. They could have added an hour extra alone on analyzing all the amazing footage Hubble has captured over its life. Really weak overall.

Oh well...thanks, glad I asked.

Damn shame none of us will really get to experience any of this in our lifetimes, nor will our descendents even 20 or so generations down the line.

100421-hubble-hits-18.ss_full.jpg

fucking hell that can't be real. freaky shit i tells ya

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So... who believes the bullshit there isn't at least one other life form out there? Maybe.... not "advanced" as us, but I do find that unlikely. Dude... there are TRILLIONS of planets out there... we cannot even wrap our head around that. And we are alone? Fuck that shit, its impossible.

CrazyDude

Relix said:
So... who believes the bullshit there isn't at least one other life form out there? Maybe.... not "advanced" as us, but I do find that unlikely. Dude... there are TRILLIONS of planets out there... we cannot even wrap our head around that. And we are alone? Fuck that shit, its impossible.
Or is it.....?

Amir0x

Banned
Relix said:

of course there's other life*

it just hasn't visited us yet

*The odds of that life being intelligent, at least in the traditional sense, still seems to me to be slim. There were a billion variables that had to take place for us to spring up, incredibly lucky astrological events which cannot be shrugged by mere right place/right time. It's not as easy to get to us as it is to get to life, imo

mclaren777 said:
None exist so you really shouldn't be blaming Hubble.
Right you are. I take it back.
At least it's good for pretty pictures I can use as desktop backgrounds. But it's probably the most expensive desktop background generator in history.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Amir0x said:
*The odds of that life being intelligent, at least in the traditional sense, still seems to me to be slim. There were a billion variables that had to take place for us to spring up, incredibly lucky astrological events which cannot be shrugged by mere right place/right time. It's not as easy to get to us as it is to get to life, imo

Yeah I perfectly understand this. But then again.. there are other trillion planets out there with their own chances. Life doesn't necessarily need to start as we know i... hell we don't fully understand our planet how we will understand the vastness.

OR maybe there is simply no other intelligent life and they will pop up in 2 billion years somewhere else as conditions settle?

OR there is some basic form of life like perhaps "fishes" and small living forms somewhere that will slowly evolve?

OR we simply are alllll alone in our little dark corner of the universe.

Amir0x said:
of course there's other life*

it just hasn't visited us yet

The number of stars and planets in the universe would dwarf even the billions of variables to bring life by several fold, though.

Over a hundred billions stars in our galaxy among the 100 plus billion galaxies in the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom