• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubble Space telescope continues to impress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Relix said:
Yeah I perfectly understand this. But then again.. there are other trillion planets out there with their own chances. Life doesn't necessarily need to start as we know i... hell we don't fully understand our planet how we will understand the vastness.

OR maybe there is simply no other intelligent life and they will pop up in 2 billion years somewhere else as conditions settle?

OR there is some basic form of life like perhaps "fishes" and small living forms somewhere that will slowly evolve?

OR we simply are alllll alone in our little dark corner of the universe.

Certainly, I think it's similarly unlikely that no intelligent life will EVER spring up in the lifespan of the galaxy. And it'd be ridiculous of me to presume to know the contents of a trillion planets with certainty. I just think it's a little more rare than we'd like to believe.

LIFE, I think, is probably not rare at all. Intelligent life is something else

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I have this random wish that if we die we become Gods of our own little planet. Man that must kick ass... makes dying something to look forward to eh? =P!

-viper-

Banned
-viper- said:
How do they get the pictures from the Hubble Space Telescope? It doesn't return to earth. What kind of signal is transmitted from the telescope?

Also, what about batteries? I'm assuming it'll be solar powered?
anyone? :p

Teh Hamburglar said:
And just to make your click worthwhile, some more recent pics

s8qCw.jpg

I see a elephant on hind legs holding a weapon

I also see a Bear tiger pouncing

Two Hadoukens about to collide

Amir0x

Banned
Relix said:
I have this random wish that if we die we become Gods of our own little planet. Man that must kick ass... makes dying something to look forward to eh? =P!

so, uh, just become a Mormon.

wish fulfilled apparently?

Clevinger

Willy105 said:
If we could live forever, there'd be nothing to stop us.

After all, if we have no time limit, not being able to go faster than light isn't much of an issue*.

*other than patience

The universe is expanding in all directions faster than we could ever go, unless we find a way to break the laws of physics. It's crazy, but one day there will be no trace of other galaxies or even the big bang. We're living in a very special time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Max Armstrong said:
This sort of thing is making my brain melt:

n3oJ0.jpg

I can't even conceive what the fuck is happening in this.
Want to really make your brain melt. Those stars that look like they are shining through the nebula from behind it, far far-away. Those are actually in front of the nebula.

fingmagnetshowdotheywork.gif

hirokazu

Extollere said:
Yeah it's a lot of stars mother fucker... but this galaxy is millions of light years away... so details are harder to resolve... let's take a look at our own galaxy now. Images of our galaxy are always from the side of the galaxy. They are seen from the edge like this (rather than from the face), because of our position on the Earth (and because we are inside of the galaxy itself. We see the center and the band of the galaxy as though we are outside of it, but we're really just located on one of the outer arms. The first image is a panorama of the galaxy for context's sake... then we rotate it and zoom in a bit...

MILKY WAY ZOOM IN.JPG
This blew my mind. Holy shit, I've never seen it zoomed in to the level of the bottom picture before.

Dilly

Banned
There really are not enough people who know enough about or appreciate the universe.

It's beautiful, probably the closest thing to God in my mind.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Relix said:
Yeah I perfectly understand this. But then again.. there are other trillion planets out there with their own chances. Life doesn't necessarily need to start as we know i... hell we don't fully understand our planet how we will understand the vastness.

OR maybe there is simply no other intelligent life and they will pop up in 2 billion years somewhere else as conditions settle?

OR there is some basic form of life like perhaps "fishes" and small living forms somewhere that will slowly evolve?

OR we simply are alllll alone in our little dark corner of the universe.
Life doesn't even have to be in any kind of form we know it as. What if there's some kind of intelligence out there that takes the form of radiation?

y2dvd said:
Cannot...comprehend...these images! >_<

Theres no way we can. Our brains have no reference on cosmic scales. At least not in the way we can comprehend the size of a peanut sitting in the middle of a football stadium. Trying to visualize makes my brain feel like its in a feedback loop bzzzzzrrrrtttttt

scola said:
Want to really make your brain melt. Those stars that look like they are shining through the nebula from behind it, far far-away. Those are actually in front of the nebula.

fingmagnetshowdotheywork.gif
ES0TJ.jpg

antiloop

And we won't even be able to travel to our closest neighbor Alfa Centauri star(s) in my life time...

A friend of mine put it like this, if the sun was 5mm in diameter and existed here in my room, Alfa Centauri would be 360 miles away from my room or more.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
antiloop said:
And we won't even be able to travel to our closest neighbor Alfa Centauri star(s) in my life time...

A friend of mine put it like this, if the sun was 5mm in diameter and existed here in my room, Alfa Centauri would be 360 miles away from my room or more.
so much emptiness, yet so much to explore...

Jangocube

Banned
Damn, my mind hurts just looking at all those pictures.

I hope mankind eventually makes it off this little rock of ours and actually gets to explore the universe. By then, if we made it of course, one would assume that we have evolved past our self-destructive ways and hopefully not fuck everything else up like we have Earth.

J-Rod

When I was still in school, I remember reading in my college astronomy textbook that we built and launched a telescope similar to the hubble one year before. The only difference is that it was made to point towards the earth.

Teh Hamburglar said:

Just to add a little perspective, this is a picture of a single Globular Cluster, which are densely packed clusters of stars that orbit galaxies. There are hundreds of thousands of stars in each one, and we are aware of approximately 158 clusters that orbit the Milky Way alone.

They are also some of the oldest objects in the Galaxy, and most of the stars in there are approximately the same age.

LCfiner

I love Space so damn much.

all of these pictures are awe inspiring.

In regards to the "insignificance" of humans and the sheer size of space, my thoughts are that all those stars and all those galaxies only take on any real importance when there is an intelligence capable of appreciating them.

It's the presence of life forms scattered amongst the cosmos that can explore the enormity of the universe that makes it so special.

Garcia

This thread has become extremely dense for me to handle right now. That Beethoven+Hubble bundle took me to places.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Not going to lie, that last image in the OP makes me think of doing things that typically require immediate medical care. I want to visit and feel the whole thing so fucking badly.

benzy said:
Naked eye view of the Milk.

milk2c89g.gif

I wish I was Silver Surfer.

Nice! And to think that in the distant future, the Andromeda Galaxy is going to be filling that sky as well. It's headed right towards us, and is expected to collide with our galaxy in about 4.5 billion years from now.

I'd love to be around to see it. It would be an absolutely mindblowing sight:

nQgSp.png

Yeah, this. We're going to fucking collide with it!

Barberetti said:
Nice! And to think that in the distant future, the Andromeda Galaxy is going to be filling that sky as well. It's headed right towards us, and is expected to collide with our galaxy in about 4.5 billion years from now.

I'd love to be around to see it. It would be an absolutely mindblowing sight:

nQgSp.png

Yeah, this. We're going to fucking collide with it!

Collide? Well not really. Theres so much space inbetween the stars they'll likely just pass through one another, fucking up each other's orbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom