• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubble Space telescope continues to impress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

It's awesome, but people that want to take a tour of the universe need to remember that these colors are made from the use of several filters. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be that beautiful to the naked eye.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Collide? Well not really. Theres so much space inbetween the stars they'll likely just pass through one another, fucking up each other's orbits.

Well to be fair, it's still not 100% certain that they will meet head on, but it's going to be close. If they do though, the end result is predicted to be one huge elliptical galaxy, so it's probably going to be messy.

Husker86 said:
It's awesome, but people that want to take a tour of the universe need to remember that these colors are made from the use of several filters. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be that beautiful to the naked eye.

If God can take me on tour to the outskirts of the universe, I'm sure he can give me infra-red eyes for a few hours or so :p

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Are there any Hubble photos where an object passes near the satellite? Why is everything always light years away?

Violater

Edmond Dantès said:
Seems like a appropriate thread to post this in.

SxYEs.gif

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this?
Ok nvm , found it.
Too amazing for words.

Iceman

Violater said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this?
Ok nvm , found it.
Too amazing for words.

that's what happens when 27 great white space sharks fuse into one magnificent, all consuming hellbeast.

Zutroy

The thing that gets me, is how people always go on about intelligent life. The thing is though, we as humans are pretty self centred, that just because we couldn't communicate with it, doesn't mean it isn't intelligent. If we can't all even speak the same language, what's the chances that we'll be able to communicate with something from space? Why do we consider ourself so much smarter than the other animals on our own planet? I mean, they can do stuff we can't, and vise versa.

Don't get me wrong, I realise that we're pretty smart in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone know what I'm getting at?

WillyFive

CRD90 said:
The thing that gets me, is how people always go on about intelligent life. The thing is though, we as humans are pretty self centred, that just because we couldn't communicate with it, doesn't mean it isn't intelligent. If we can't all even speak the same language, what's the chances that we'll be able to communicate with something from space? Why do we consider ourself so much smarter than the other animals on our own planet? I mean, they can do stuff we can't, and vise versa.

Don't get me wrong, I realise that we're pretty smart in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone know what I'm getting at?

Yeah, I get you.

But it's a relative thing. To a squirrel, a dolphin would be a super intelligent being beyond their comprehension. But to us, they are usually used as entertainment.

Mdeezy

I fucking LOVE everything to do with Astronomy. I have lots of books on the matter because I just find pictures like the ones posted in this thread truly humbling and fascinating.

LCfiner said:
In regards to the "insignificance" of humans and the sheer size of space, my thoughts are that all those stars and all those galaxies only take on any real importance when there is an intelligence capable of appreciating them.

It's the presence of life forms scattered amongst the cosmos that can explore the enormity of the universe that makes it so special.

"Thou great star! What would be thy happiness if thou hadst not those for whom thou shinest!"

- Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

McNei1y said:
When are we going to get hd pictures of the Reapers? We need to know what we're up against in person.
As far as we know the reapers only exist in your visions. The council will not waste precious resources chasing ghosts, commander.

TL4E

While looking at the pictures, it's important to note that no human actually "gets" the scale we're talking about here. "6.3 light years" is completely impossible to accurately imagine with our inadequate brains. Our minds are blown, but clearly not in proper proportion to what we're seeing here. It's scary to ponder just how massive our universe is -- and to think, we're living in it, right here, right now.

I feel totally inconsequential looking at those images, but at the same time realize the mere privilege of being able to feel inconsequential is so rare that it makes up for it.

SolKane

speculawyer said:
We are so small and insignificant.

I once said this to an old roommate of mine, and he replied, "Well, if we humans are the only intelligent species in an ever-expanding universe, doesn't that make what we do of the absolute significance?"

Or in other words:

Lucky Forward said:
"Thou great star! What would be thy happiness if thou hadst not those for whom thou shinest!"

- Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

SolKane said:
I once said this to an old roommate of mine, and he replied, "Well, if we humans are the only intelligent species in an ever-expanding universe, doesn't that make what we do of the absolute significance?"

Or in other words:
Maybe I was your roommate cause that's what I said earlier in the thread.

Husker86

coolcole93 said:
If God can take me on tour to the outskirts of the universe, I'm sure he can give me infra-red eyes for a few hours or so :p
No! You will view with your God given eyes heathen!

WillyFive

Mdeezy said:
I fucking LOVE everything to do with Astronomy. I have lots of books on the matter because I just find pictures like the ones posted in this thread truly humbling and fascinating.

Yep. My favorite part of science (anything space related).

DJ88

Extollere said:
Check this shit out...

Yeah it's a lot of stars mother fucker... but this galaxy is millions of light years away... so details are harder to resolve... let's take a look at our own galaxy now. Images of our galaxy are always from the side of the galaxy. They are seen from the edge like this (rather than from the face), because of our position on the Earth (and because we are inside of the galaxy itself. We see the center and the band of the galaxy as though we are outside of it, but we're really just located on one of the outer arms. The first image is a panorama of the galaxy for context's sake... then we rotate it and zoom in a bit...

446617-OUE2PY1.jpg

Goddam, space....goddamn.

AHHHHHHHH!!! GOD DAMNIT!! These kinds of things make my brain melt into a puddle. I always eventually push it back into the back of my head and try to not think about it, but then I'm always inevitably reminded of it again and my brain is once again demolished into a shit smear on the side of my skull.

Its fucking unbelievable what's in the sky above everyone's head, just there, chilling like its no big deal, yet it's so hard to find people that seem to be able to grasp how incomprehensible just our own galaxy is let alone the entire universe.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Some truly incredible images. My brain simply can't comprehend the origins of everything and where it all came from... it's fascinating to think about.

Seems ridiculously arrogant for anyone to think we're the only intelligent form of life in the infinite reaches of space. Infinite possibilities.

Also this damn thread makes me want a new Homeworld game in a bad way =/

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It took me a minute, but I can comprehend it all now. What else ya got.

Amazing pictures, but kind of scary. The more I learn about space, the more I've learned how chaotic it is. I mean, all it would take is a gamma ray burst from a star a couple million light years away and the Earth would be destroyed before we even knew what hit us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom