• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d Like to Apologize to NeoGAF, Give a Special Thank You and LTTPs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they seem borderline pedophilic to you, then that says something about you because most of the shows in that image have no sexual content.
I'm sure you're right. I just posted a moe image from a google search. I know most moe aren't sexual, but there definitely some that ARE. I'm talking about the ones that are. I know people who watch K-ON and they aren't creepy. But there is an undeniable skeevy subsection of the fanbase of moe.

Hugstable

Banned
tumblr_inline_nhgfoqwhY21qmjvtr.gif

best robot

Sini

but there are just as many who are like me who like the character and sometimes maybe joke around about it.
And derail a thread with that while people are asking you and others like you stop?
Steam thread has been dead for many since last year's summer because of that. Few of them even were universally known and liked there. They rarely post now and when they do people always ask what has happened to them etc.

KazenY2J

Yep. I almost never tell anyone in real life I like anime. I like Bebop, Moribito, Korra, Claymore, Naruto, Black Lagoon, Berserk, Death Note, and Attack on Titan. But if I just say I like anime its will always seem like i mean this. No offense to people that like it, but I just don't like the stigma. A lot of modern "moe" shows seem borderline pedophilic:
With the exception of Strike Witches and the one on the far right of the bottom row, none of those are "borderline pedophilic".

rpmurphy

I'm sure you're right. I just posted a moe image from a google search. I know most moe aren't sexual, but there definitely some that ARE. I'm talking about the ones that are. I know people who watch K-ON and they aren't creepy. But there is an undeniable skeevy subsection of the fanbase of moe.
You should definitely watch Hidamari Sketch. It's quite a different visual experience you don't get in the shows you listed as you watch.

Gsnap

so is cowboy bebop the exception to the rule, or something

because whenever I see people go "oh not all anime's like that" they throw out cowboy bebop as an example and nothing else

It's just the easiest example to give because it's just really good and avoids the tropes that annoy people so much. Many people don't like anime but love Cowboy Bebop because it's just good.

You could say it's an exception to the rule because it's true that there's way too much anime that does all the annoying moe/waifu stuff to the point where it turns off people who could potentially get into good shows like Cowboy Bebop because they damn the entire medium rather than doing what any smart person should do and only judging individual efforts.

Anime has become something that an anime fan like myself is not proud of. Way too much pandering and other such garbage. But like I said, you just gotta learn to ignore it and focus on what is good. Cowboy Bebop is good. Various Gundams are good. Baccano is good. Death Note is good. One Piece is good. And there is some good slice of life stuff out there like My Ordinary Life or Yotsuba since they manage to be cute and funny while avoiding the pandering. And of course there's the anime movies like what Ghibli does, which are highly regarded as achievements in animation and have won many awards and are treated as real art by many "high brow" people/institutions.

For me, I just really like animation. All kinds. Eastern, Western, it doesn't matter to me as long as it's good. So when I see people writing off all animation that happens to have been made in Japan it's annoying. So yeah, I'll point to something inoffensive like Bebop as a way to tell people to stop judging things as a whole and judge individual efforts. It's just a better way to be. It expands your horizons as a person, allowing you to enjoy good things that you might have otherwise written off, while also allowing you to avoid all the bullshit that is unfortunately present in many different mediums.

With the exception of Strike Witches and the one on the far right of the bottom row, none of those are "borderline pedophilic".
Yeah, like i said I just used a moe image from google image search. Not diparaging those shows in particular. I've never watched a "moe" show but I've definitely seen clips from them that are really sexual and creepy. Like a little girl sucking a banana in a sexual way witch spit coming out while an older guy was watching I don't know what show but I've seen many gifs of stuff like that.

Again, I;m not trying to stereotype moe fans or fans of the non-sexual cute shows.

Wow, this thread has certainly gotten heated. I'm not entirely clear on what this is all about since I don't frequent threads about games related to the loli/waifu stuff, but it's still interesting to follow.

injurai

Banned
Is this where I point out that what one finds "moe" is down to individual preference?

moe was a particular thing, then there were a few good moes that people thought were redeeming

then they wanted to remove those from the set of moes

and thus a new definition was born

(wash rinse repeat)

further down the dark spiral of pandering and skeevy suss themes and aesthetics

Tohsaka

You should definitely watch Hidamari Sketch. It's quite a different visual experience you don't get in the shows you listed as you watch.

I think Hidamari Sketch is probably still my favorite slice of life, and I've seen pretty much all of the ones worth watching.

Arcadius

Banned

I know I'm not involved with the conversation the two of you are having, but if this is a different take on slice of life shows then I'd wager I may like it. I'll just accept it as a recommendation for now, thanks.

petran79

Banned
I want to take OP back to one of the most iconic dating sim games of all time

It's time to play Tokimeki Memorial.

Mw2TEPC.gif

Reminds me, during the IRC days in the late-90s, me and my friend created the ideal girl and managed actually to set a date with one guy. Except that no one turned up and he was really pissed!

Boogybro

When everybody watches Cowboy Bebop and realizes that you should only judge individual efforts and not entire genres or mediums.

I agree, a lot of the moe stuff is annoying and often creepy or off putting, but just like every single thing ever, you have to pick your battles and shouldn't generalize the whole. There are good anime and bad anime.

Now go watch Cowboy Bebop.

You...
You get it.

Hugstable

Banned
And derail a thread with that while people are asking you and others like you stop?
Steam thread has been dead for many since last year's summer because of that. Few of them even were universally known and liked there. They rarely post now and when they do people always ask what has happened to them etc.

I really drove people away? I didn't mean too, all I did was talk about anime games when they were getting released there, I didn't mean to drive anyone way.

Honestly sorry to anyone in Steamgaf if I really ruined the place, Probably best I stopped posting there then

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I swear to god, if you guys start this crap, I'm ending it.

Im actually surprised you mods let the thread run rampant as long as it has been going already considering its pretty far off the mark as it can be now lol.

Gsnap

Come on, man. Don't act like Ed doesn't exist.

Come on, man. Don't act like one goofy character that is not sexualized in any way and actually has a nice character arc ruins an entire show.

Lots of shows in every medium have comic relief characters, so I'm still not sure why you seem to have a problem with the entire concept of animation that originates in Japan.

Sifl

Lol now the threads probably going to get closed because more waifu wars garbage got started. Even if a constructive conversation could take place you'd just have these posters purposefully starting the waifu talk and successfully derailing the thread and instigating people.

jerry1594

I want to apologize for misgendering Baikal. Even though she's an outlandish character, there's no substantial evidence she's a guy doing an omega Aguirre, so I'm sorry.

Arcadius

Banned
I'd rather like it to be stay up =), but it's definitely slowing down.

I guess I can now take some time write down how I feel about all this.

I'd like to say, as a huge first, thank you to everyone who read and commented. Regardless of whether is was on topic or not, I could tell that the thread affected everyone very differently; because of this, I'm very relieved with how the entirety of it all went down.

I've met some very nice and generous people who I feel understand me better. It really did work out for the best and I'm proud to have done this.

All the posts that took me seriously were heartwarming and all the posts that were concerned about me were not taken lightly, by either party I would hope. This has been a rather blessing experience for me and the way NeoGAF took it was better than I could have ever imagined.

So.... Thank you NeoGAF.

cajunator

Banned
Ok the waifu wars stuff in here is going overboard. It doesnt help anything and it could get the thread shut down for good. Not worth it.
On an interesting note, nobody who just participated in that little thing actually has an anime avatar..

Sini

I really drove people away? I didn't mean too, all I did was talk about anime games when they were getting released there, I didn't mean to drive anyone way.

Honestly sorry to anyone in Steamgaf if I really ruined the place, Probably best I stopped posting there then
You aren't responsible for that, it's the whole group there who did that. If I thought you were one of obnoxious ones I'd have you in my ignore list (There's "only" 5 from steamgaf) and I wouldn't have replied to you here.
Was that intentional to make me feel guilty with that last sentence? :/ No way I want you gone from there.

Some who quit used ignore lists as well, put people kept quoting them so even that doesn't help.

Phocks

Lol now the threads probably going to get closed because more waifu wars garbage got started. Even if a constructive conversation could take place you'd just have these posters purposefully starting the waifu talk and successfully derailing the thread and instigating people.
Was this thread ever even on rails?

Prax

I wish for this thread to stay up so all this overlapping stuff can coalesce here instead of spreading everywhere else. lol

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

About the Steam threads:

A lot of that stuff has toned down significantly in the last few months, though, at least compared to what it was in the aftermath of the summer sale. Even Jase has stopped posting Saoirse gifs.

Plus it's easier for most to keep up with now. There's only been one Steam thread per month since January, instead of the two or three threads per month we were reaching after the summer sale ended.

If it makes it any better, the community thread will likely stay opened during this year's summer sale too, so you can just avoid the majority of that.

I'm still trying to get thru this whole thread but i gotta ask before it gets closed. It might have been mentioned 50 times but it's a holiday and it's like 40 pages long so bear with me, but why was Baikal banned? She was one of my favorite posters. The moe discussions were pretty entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom