• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m playing AC:Mirage and enjoying it. Paid $17 for Ubi+ just to play it among others…. Am I a Loser?

Maddux4164

Point is, wanted to try this game out. It’s kinda cool so far. There’s 197 AC games. I’ve played only a small handful

Didn’t want to pay $50 just to play this. Felt paying $17 to play it and ALSO have access to Ubi’s back catalog would be worth it

I feel like they have a solid back catalog and I’ll get some FUN out of it. We’re all too harsh on things sometimes. Yeah these are all greedy companies. No denying it.

But I’m just spending a tiny fraction of money. I would spend more if I bought a 12pc chicken bucket from KFC that is good for 1-2 days of pleasure

Where as, I’ll have 30 days of fun with this. I’ll not be keeping my membership (probably) and just use this month to play some titles I’ve not experienced yet

What say you all on this? Subscription services are hated YET they allow me to experience titles I’d have never bought. Ever. Legit ever.

Maddux4164

Why would saving money to play something make you a loser?

Also why do you care what others think of you?

And AC Mirage is a good game, I did the same and had a lot of fun with it
Definitely don’t care lol. But just asking among my NEOGAF brothers. They all seem to feel I’m now part of what’s wrong with gaming

It’s not much money and I get so much in return. Maybe some games are shit. Maybe some are mediocre. But it’s dozens of hours of fun and new experiences and it’s just the price of a couple Big Mac meals.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, they're great for this. Assuming I didn't have a cheap Brazilian loophole Game Pass sub already there's absolutely no way I'd have bought Starfield at full price instead of just "renting" it for a month. What's the point? Great, I "own" it. It's going to rapidly decline in value anyway and it's not like I can sell it. Zero advantage over just subbing to GP for a month and knocking it out.

Flutta

Banned
Stop Motion Yes GIF by Mouse

I think I used Ubi+ to play through 95% of Valhalla before quitting. Felt it was a fair trade. Didn't have to buy full price and I def. got my money's worth, even if I didn't enjoy the game as much as I wanted to.

If you're enjoying Mirage and you feel that essentially "renting" the game for a month, while having potential access to hundreds of other great games represents a value to you I say...enjoy it. Loser.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Yeah, they're great for this. Assuming I didn't have a cheap Brazilian loophole Game Pass sub already there's absolutely no way I'd have bought Starfield at full price instead of just "renting" it for a month. What's the point? Great, I "own" it. It's going to rapidly decline in value anyway and it's not like I can sell it. Zero advantage over just subbing to GP for a month and knocking it out.
Same here. Spent 60 hours in Starfield. Highly enjoyed it and will still continue it on my NG+

But the value of my GamePass sub far exceeds this one title. I’m absolutely winning hand over fist when it comes to my entertainment vs money spent

Maddux4164

I think I used Ubi+ to play through 95% of Valhalla before quitting. Felt it was a fair trade. Didn't have to buy full price and I def. got my money's worth, even if I didn't enjoy the game as much as I wanted to.

If you're enjoying Mirage and you feel that essentially "renting" the game for a month, while having potential access to hundreds of other great games represents a value to you I say...enjoy it. Loser.
Used to pay Blockbuster $5-$8 for a weekend or 5 days for ONE title

This feels like stealing games lol I think we are spoiled

Maddux4164

Did the same thing for The Crew: Motorfest. Perfect game for a month, now it starts to get boring, so I’m glad, I only payed that one month.
These subscription services that “hardcore gamers” seem to be against

Are freaking awesome and worth every dime. No idea why folks are against it.

None. No clue. I’ve played more games in 3-5 years than I did in the entire 1990’s

Because in the 90’s I needed large stacks of cash just for 1 game ($50-$90)

I was part of the “Sega Channel” btw and it was an amazing service far beyond its time though

People on gaf preordered and bought Redfall and they were proud so no, you're good.
devil may cry dodged a bullet GIF by Jason Clarke

I'll say I'm thankful for CDPR and the CP77 disaster that even if I have a huge love for the studio, blindly trusting any studio just leads to disaster. I would have sworn to anyone that Arkane and CDPR were the last few studios that I really had faith in because of their history and pedigree.

I was shocked at how awful Redfall was. The general idea was great, and Arkane are essentially the only AAA Immersive Sim developers on the market, so the idea of an RPG/Co-Op Immersive Sim Arkane game set on New England-Style Fishing Village/Island sounds amazing on paper. I was shocked at even the state of release. It just was a mediocre release all together. Very thankful for Gamepass, really helped me dodge a bullet and reinforced my apprehension without making me upset that I felt like I wasted money.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
What a weird premise for a thread. This is exactly what the subscription model is for.

I'm doing the same, actually. And did it for Valhalla as well. Perfect games to "rent" for 15 bucks.

Denton

Ubisoft games are a basic consumption material, they are meant to be played once and that's it, so it is actually nice they let us rent them cheaper because I sure as fuck wouldn't buy them full price.

Personally I am waiting for Avatar to come out, then I will resub for a month and finish it and Mirage (or Motorfest, depending on which I like more).

Ubisoft is fine with this otherwise they wouldn't offer it. This way they get at least some money from me at launch, if there was no rent option, I would just wait until the games are 15 bucks anyway.

Maddux4164

Ubisoft games are a basic consumption material, they are meant to be played once and that's it, so it is actually nice they let us rent them cheaper because I sure as fuck wouldn't buy them full price.

Personally I am waiting for Avatar to come out, then I will resub for a month and finish it and Mirage (or Motorfest, depending on which I like more).

Ubisoft is fine with this otherwise they wouldn't offer it. This way they get at least some money from me at launch, if there was no rent option, I would just wait until the games are 15 bucks anyway.
Exactly

There was a 0% shot at me paying $50 for this game

But $17 and access to dozens of other titles for a month?

That’s fantastic

digdug2

I'd much rather pay $17 to play the latest Ubisoft titles than full price. Plus, now you don't have the physical game hogging up space on your shelf. When you're finished playing, just delete it and forget about it.

You're not a loser for wanting to try out a new game. If you get 10 hours out of it, then you spent $1.70 per hour to play it Vs. $5 per hour if you bought it at MSRP.

Mowcno

Using these services as limited rentals is the best option. I'm not the type that replays games often. So paying $17 for a month to play it and finish it makes a whole lot more sense than paying $50-$70 to do the exact same. Plus if you decide the game isn't for you then you can still use that $17 you paid to play something else instead.

I used to use boomerang rentals in the UK and save a fortune.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I'd much rather pay $17 to play the latest Ubisoft titles than full price. Plus, now you don't have the physical game hogging up space on your shelf. When you're finished playing, just delete it and forget about it.

You're not a loser for wanting to try out a new game. If you get 10 hours out of it, then you spent $1.70 per hour to play it Vs. $5 per hour if you bought it at MSRP.
Already gotten 2 lol 😂

Not counting there’s other titles I’m gonna try

digdug2

Already gotten 2 lol 😂

Not counting there’s other titles I’m gonna try
Then $17 bucks will absolutely be worth it. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten burned in the recent past by buying a new game at full price. I'm at the point where I will not be pre-ordering any games unless they are from studios that I absolutely trust- and even then, I fully acknowledge that I'm still taking a chance.

Virex

Banned
Point is, wanted to try this game out. It’s kinda cool so far. There’s 197 AC games. I’ve played only a small handful

Didn’t want to pay $50 just to play this. Felt paying $17 to play it and ALSO have access to Ubi’s back catalog would be worth it

I feel like they have a solid back catalog and I’ll get some FUN out of it. We’re all too harsh on things sometimes. Yeah these are all greedy companies. No denying it.

But I’m just spending a tiny fraction of money. I would spend more if I bought a 12pc chicken bucket from KFC that is good for 1-2 days of pleasure

Where as, I’ll have 30 days of fun with this. I’ll not be keeping my membership (probably) and just use this month to play some titles I’ve not experienced yet

What say you all on this? Subscription services are hated YET they allow me to experience titles I’d have never bought. Ever. Legit ever.
Are you like some sort of teenager looking for some form of validation or something? No one gives a shit

Last edited:
Definitely don’t care lol. But just asking among my NEOGAF brothers. They all seem to feel I’m now part of what’s wrong with gaming

It’s not much money and I get so much in return. Maybe some games are shit. Maybe some are mediocre. But it’s dozens of hours of fun and new experiences and it’s just the price of a couple Big Mac meals.
🥸🥸

damidu

lol thats the only way these sub services can make any sense.
stay subbed for a month in a year and go through couple of games, which are worth your time.
though it’s probably not sustainable for the corpos, so totally expect them to add measures against it at some point.

Freeman76

Some of them also bragged about preordering the ultimate edition of Diablo 4 so yeah, I think OP is good. There are far bigger losers around here.
Fucks sake. What is actually wrong with you man? People arent losers for preordering a game, especially one as highly anticipated as Diablo. You make thread after thread of negative crap on here, and have the bollocks to then call other people losers. Ignore list +1

Roxkis_ii

I have got into the habit of just waiting for most games to go on sales and grab them there. I have a back log with more games I want to play then most subs.

Do what's best for you. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Drizzlehell

Banned
you make thread after thread of negative crap on here
You only see what you want to see. Most of my threads are just game-centric and fairly neutral, and if I end up criticising something, it's usually about something more granular within the game's mechanics or design and not just shitposting or being negative for the sake of being negative.

For instance, I never said that Diablo 4 is a bad game, but it sure has plenty of problems when it comes to monetisation, pricing, and lack of content. It's not being negative, it's just facing the truth.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Enjoying it is all that matters. I usually have a crack at 1 assassins creed game a gen otherwise i get burnt out.
Valhalla gave me that fix and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Man that game felt like it would never end, it traumatised me 😂

I started watching a review of Mirage and the minute he dived into a haybale I got shivers and turned it off. Scarred 😂😂

Top Bottom