• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am a nervous wreck when my favorite sports teams are playing an important game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubes7844

Banned
Bears (We suck but I still love them) and Cubs tonight and I've already thrown up due to extreme nervousness. I'm an avid sports fan and I'm so glad that my wife isn't the same way, it works out well because I couldn't imagine her being in the same shitty mood when her team loses.

I don't yell, scream or get belligerent. I just sulk like a 2 year old without a toy when they lose.

anyone else the same?

GO CUBS GO!

LionPride

Banned
A lot of sports fans are like this

I was sad as hell when the Lions lost to the Cowboys a few years back.

Also when the Vikings lost last season.

And when San Antonio lost Game 6.

Not for any sports teams currently, but when I used to play fantasy football, I would become a total nutcase every Thurs/Sun/Mon.

I'm much happier now that I don't play anymore.

I can't get that invested into a bunch of other people's competition which ultimately doesn't matter to them when they're making millions one way or another. We're just worthless spectators. There's no reason for me to get emotional about it.

feel

As a Portuguese dude, I was feeling pain all over my body from how nervous I was during the Euro final a few months ago. It was almost unbearable, win or defeat I just wanted it to be over, I thought I was gonna die.

Barzul

Eh I love Arsenal and them losing ruins my weekend but you just gotta realize it comes with the territory. Certainly haven't puked over them not winning....that's next level lol

Zackat

I remember being so nervous for the Heat, the game seemed done. Then Ray Allen hit that damn shot and I was so fucking happy.

Bears (We suck but I still love them) and Cubs tonight and I've already thrown up due to extreme nervousness. I'm an avid sports fan and I'm so glad that my wife isn't the same way, it works out well because I couldn't imagine her being in the same shitty mood when her team loses.

I don't yell, scream or get belligerent. I just sulk like a 2 year old without a toy when they lose.

anyone else the same?

GO CUBS GO!

I don't normally say this, but you may want to seek professional help regarding this matter.

Sifl

No, because the teams I root for are usually trash and when they are good I think it's a fluke anyway. So when an important game comes up I don't expect a win.

Lunar15

I'm terrible. I get bad anxiety during Gator games, can barely watch them

Doesn't help that we're boring as fuck.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My packers are absolutely decimated with injuries right now and Rodgers is playing the worst football of his life, if ever your Bears had a chance of beating the Packers, tonight would be the night.

Seriously we are playing with 3 active backup CB's, a practice squad running back, 2 of our pass rushers out, an injured clay matthews and Eddy Lacy was put on IR today.

rubes7844

Banned
My packers are absolutely decimated with injuries right now and Rodgers is playing the worst football of his life, if ever your Bears had a chance of beating the Packers, tonight would be the night.

Seriously we are playing with 3 active backup CB's, a practice squad running back, 2 of our pass rushers out, an injured clay matthews and Eddy Lacy was put on IR today.
Not with Hoyer the Destoryer behind center.

They're going to lose OP. They're going to lose, terribly. The worst loss ever. Like, in a decade. It's going to be terrible. Terrible.

Dude Abides

Banned
It's gotta be conference championship level (or Michigan-Ohio State if Michigan has a decent team) for me to get nervous. But I would never throw up.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not with Hoyer the Destoryer behind center.

You have a 100% better chance with him than Cutler. Seriously, Cutler is a Packer spy we put there years ago.

As for your question, yes I get wound up and nervous before games. They can greatly effect my mood. My wife cried after the NFC Championship game against the Seahawks. I was misserable for a week.

Fitts

A lot of us are right there with you, OP. I've never vomited or anything, but I'm definitely tightly wound during Raiders games and even find myself getting downright superstitious. (adjusting my sitting position, fiddling with the receiver volume, etc) The most nervous I get, however, is during MMA fights -- especially if I believe it to be a mismatch that's going to end violently. When there's a late stoppage or an injury (in both MMA and football) then I just straight up lose my shit.

Verelios

After the Maverick's lost their umpteenth finals over lazy zoning and hasty playmaking, I just lay back and enjoy the game. Cheers to both sides

rubes7844

Banned
You have a 100% better chance with him than Cutler. Seriously, Cutler is a Packer spy we put there years ago.
Hoyer is a stat padder that makes cutler look like shit but would never win a game. Cutler has the balls to make the throws to win.

Glix

I cover my eyes a lot and go outside and smoke a bunch.

During baseball i pace like Hamilton.

My dad laughs at me but i always explain that the emotional investment is what makes it so amazing when they win. (Not that my teams ever win but whatever)

Berto

That's me. Portugal in the Euro2016 final, Benfica in the Europa League final in 2013 and 2014, Mclaren in Brazil GP 2008. Unbearable stuff.

brawly

I used to cry when my team lost
before I pubes

I still want them to win every game and I'm happier if they do but at the end of the day it's not worth getting too invested.

Since I know now that nothing could ever be worse for a team than what happened to the Seahawks in their last Super Bowl, I'm not as nervous anymore.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm the guy who has to turn away when games are tight, my anxiety gets way too high.

Imagine me, a Cleveland fan, when the Cavs were coming back from 3-1. I was climbing up the walls.

A lot of us are right there with you, OP. I've never vomited or anything, but I'm definitely tightly wound during Raiders games and even find myself getting downright superstitious. (adjusting my sitting position, fiddling with the receiver volume, etc) The most nervous I get, however, is during MMA fights -- especially if I believe it to be a mismatch that's going to end violently. When there's a late stoppage or an injury (in both MMA and football) then I just straight up lose my shit.

Oh man don't get me started. I'm the same way.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Cubs and their history.

And when the bears are good.

Haha! I think almost all of Chicago is as nervous as you are :)

I do get nervous when the Broncos play. Thankfully when they're in the Superbowl, if they decide they're going to lose, they don't mess around. They seem give me at least 3 quarters to come to terms with it.

Oozer3993

I get extremely nervous and tense during big games, but I'm mostly fine before and after. A bad loss will stick for the rest of the day, but I'm usually fine by the next day. But I am an absolute wreck during a game. I was pacing around during the last couple innings of the Indians game yesterday. I couldn't even watch most of Game 7 in the NBA Finals.

KraytarJ

The Butler interception to win the super bowl a few years back was the most intense sports moment I've ever felt. Other than the Patriots I don't expect much from my teams, the Canucks always find new ways to crush their fans and the Blue Jays are finally decent but they're garbage once they beat Texas, and the less said about the Oilers the better.

MIMIC

Banned
When my favorite tennis player Novak Djokovic played the French Open final this year, I watched the entire match while sitting on my bed, cross-legged....with the TV on mute.

I know how you feel ^_^

When he lost last year, I sulked for an entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom