• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm pretty sure that Doom Eternal's combat ruined my excitement for spectacle and combat in every other game, am I alone in this?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I remember that very first time when I was playing the game and I was doing one of those bonus challenge rooms (the ones that you need a purple key for), and it was the first time during that playthrough when I experienced this visceral adrenaline rush that literally made me step away from the computer after it was over because I felt like my chest was about to explode and my hands were shaking.

There are so many battles in this game that can be overwhelming to the senses and to the brain by forcing you to process extremely high amount of information and make all those split-second decisions, and the battles can keep going for such a long time that your mind will start begging for a little bit of relief. However, at the same time, it puts you into such an intense state of arousal and focus that it's very difficult to just hit the Escape key and take a voluntary break from the action. That sense of exhilaration and satisfaction is just too good to stop. It felt like being on top of the world, kicking incomprehensible amounts of ass, and I couldn't believe in the pure insanity taking place on screen and the fact that I was still somehow pulling through and feeling like a total badass doing it. It was like a drug, man.

I must have played through this game like six times by now, and every time I kept pushing myself even harder with higher difficulties or Master Levels, but that feeling of absolute elation sooner or later had to start coming with diminishing returns, to the point where playing an insanely hectic and chaotic battle feels kinda ordinary now.

But what's even worse about this is that in the years following the release of Doom Eternal, barely any other game has managed to excite me, no matter how epic or crazy it got. I will just stare at the screen with a blank expression on my face thinking "wow, this would've blown my socks off 10 years ago" but overall I'm barely getting any excitement out of it. Obviously, I can still feel invested in emotionally resonant stories, but Doom Eternal was such an absolute peak when it came to providing a purely spectacle-driven adrenaline rush, that no other game since then managed to excite me as much as it probably should.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I’m a broken record but if hard single-player combat mechanics gets your juices flowing: go play character action games. Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden (3D), Bayonetta, God Hand, W101, etc.

Or if you want to stay in the realm of FPS games check out Ultrakill, which is Doom Eternal meets DMC.
I enjoy those but it's not the same. Doom just kinda flows better for me, maybe because it's an FPS which is definitely more within my comfort zone.

I haven't bought Ultrakill yet because it's still in Early Access but I'm probably gonna check it out once it gets a full release.

Zones

Returnal quenched my (Doom) thirst, and then some.

FamiliarAcidicDinosaur-size_restricted.gif

MiguelItUp

DOOM Eternal's combat was the best part of the entire game IMO. It made the player be aggressive in order to get what they required. Once you got that loop down, it's wild how good it felt, and how well it worked.

The issue is a lot of people didn't care to learn. They just wanted to pick up items and be done with it. But in terms of evolution, I think they went in the best direction they could. Especially when the DOOM Slayer is a character that is absolutely driven by rage. It just makes sense.

Outside of the combat, I thought DOOM (2016) was just a better game and package. A great campaign, solid multiplayer, and a cool snap building component. I remember being surprised at how much of it felt like an older game packed with content.

id themselves could top that with a proper new Quake game.
I'm truly hoping this is what we get next from id. Here's to hoping we hear about it at Quakecon next month. Especially since they said they weren't ready last year.

Last edited:
I enjoy those but it's not the same. Doom just kinda flows better for me, maybe because it's an FPS which is definitely more within my comfort zone.

I haven't bought Ultrakill yet because it's still in Early Access but I'm probably gonna check it out once it gets a full release.
Yeah fair enough. There’s nothing quite like Doom Eternal out there. It’s pretty intense (even though I’ll never beat Ultra Nightmare). Some of the optional fights are absolutely exhausting mentally.

If you’re looking for straight up clones that are pretty good both Shadow Warrior 3 and Postal: Brain Damaged crib very hard from Eternal’s combat loop and arena focused design.

If you want something fast-paced, with an emphasis on weapon switching, and target prioritization I highly recommend Dusk (best played on Cero Miedo with Intruder Mode on so you need to find new weapons every level). I also feel like Ion Fury gave me similar vibes in some of its more hectic fights though it’s a bit too long for what it is in my opinion. Both of those have old doom/quake/build level design rather than the arena->hallway->arena design of Eternal.

Also heard great things about Titanfall 2 for movement stuff but haven’t gotten around to it yet so can’t comment.

Puscifer

I would agree if the marauder didn't exist. And that they didn't have an end boss that was a complete slog.

Ancient Gods (Pleb Filter) -> Doom Eternal -> Ancient Gods PT 2

Drizzlehell

Banned
In a way yes, it's so frantic at times. Yet many try the game for an hour and quit and say it sucked. Disappointing considering how good it really is.
I'm guessing that for a lot of younger gamers who grew up playing CoD, it's more difficult to get into a game that has its roots in arena shooters. These are the kind of FPS games that I grew up playing. We even had a pretty strong local community of Quake 3 going on, and later I'd play with Unreal Tournament clans when having internet at home became the norm. Those were great times and I wish that games like that would become popular again.

Fredrik

That is still pretty casual, tbh.

This guy is pretty good:

Lol that’s crazy needs an epilepsy warning.
For those who’re into first person shooters, why isn’t Doom more popular than CoD, Halo, Destiny etc?
Looks better, seemingly plays better, not just boring war over and over, cooler main character, better music.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you like the Doom combat, try Shadow Warrior 3. It's basically a copy of the same game play formula just in a different games wrapper.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Exceptionally well made game and yet i didn't like it, not only that but it doesn't even take a spot on my top 10 FPS list.
It felt overproduced , the story was motherfuckin' dumb and edge lord-y (it's DOOM, still...) but most importantly , the weapon feedback and general gunplay feel felt lacking with the constant micromanagement of the rockets/abilities and stuff becoming insufferable after a certain point.

Worst best game i've ever played, i liked DOOM '15 much more

Returnal gave me adrenaline rushes in ways other games have not in quite a while.

I've been meaning to sink my teeth into Doom & Doom Eternal, but I can never get through the first couple minutes without being distracted or lose interest. I think I need to give it a proper chance because the game just screams my name and seems tailored-fit for me.

Returnal took me like 2 runs before it clicked. One of the most satisfying Platinum's I have.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Lol that’s crazy needs an epilepsy warning.
For those who’re into first person shooters, why isn’t Doom more popular than CoD, Halo, Destiny etc?
Looks better, seemingly plays better, not just boring war over and over, cooler main character, better music.
I don't know to be honest, but my best guess would be that zoomers simply don't have a strong enough sexual prowess that is required to play games like Doom.

Hudo

DOOM Eternal's combat was the best part of the entire game IMO. It made the player be aggressive in order to get what they required. Once you got that loop down, it's wild how good it felt, and how well it worked.

The issue is a lot of people didn't care to learn. They just wanted to pick up items and be done with it. But in terms of evolution, I think they went in the best direction they could. Especially when the DOOM Slayer is a character that is absolutely driven by rage. It just makes sense.

Outside of the combat, I thought DOOM (2016) was just a better game and package. A great campaign, solid multiplayer, and a cool snap building component. I remember being surprised at how much of it felt like an older game packed with content.

I'm truly hoping this is what we get next from id. Here's to hoping we hear about it at Quakecon next month. Especially since they said they weren't ready last year.
At the very least, we will hear about the Nightdive Studios treatment of Quake 2 (like they did with Quake 1):

MiguelItUp

At the very least, we will hear about the Nightdive Studios treatment of Quake 2 (like they did with Quake 1):

Oh yeah, that's a definite at this point. I figured it'll just get shadow dropped just like Quake 1 did.

Quake 2 has always kinda bored me tbh. Only ever finished it once.
Campaign was fine, multiplayer was where it was at IMO, played it for several years. Especially with all of the amazing mods that existed. Still my favorite rail gun hands down. 1v1 Rail Arena was SO good.

I'd hope it'd be a Quake reboot or something. But as long as it's a shooter, I think everything will be fine. But I REALLY want it to be Quake, lol. Even the shooting mechanics in RAGE felt good. Eternal was just proof that id can take the FPS formula and do things to it to make it feel different, exciting, and good.

radewagon

I feel like Doom Eternal could have been a lot better if it had removed just a few systems from the gameplay loop. The meta-game of resource management on top of the meta-game of weapon/enemy prioritization kind of makes it frustrating to play in the later levels. Like, the fact that fodder enemies have to constantly spawn because they're the only consistent way to refill resources that are ever-dwindling due to damage sponge high-tier enemies and woefully low max ammo counts really starts to show the limitations of the loop they've created. It's almost silly having the never ending pawns just wandering around awaiting conversion into ammo/health/armor.

And blood punch is a stupid mechanic that was made all the more stupid by not having a dedicated button. Yeah, I went there. I'm a blood punch hater.

MiguelItUp

I just don't think it was marketed to do so. By the time DOOM 3 made it to xbox it got some pretty good traction, especially with its co-op component. I'm pretty sure they just didn't think something as dark as DOOM would be accepted in the mainstream with the whole hell and demon thing, lol. Especially several years ago. But they definitely pushed harder for 2016 and Eternal, and I think it did very well for id.

As a huge DOOM fan it was so weird to see, haha. I was all about it though.

Fredrik

I'm pretty sure they just didn't think something as dark as DOOM would be accepted in the mainstream with the whole hell and demon thing, lol.
But you’re out there killing demons. Is that dark?
Played some Battlefield 1 through Gamepass and it was kinda messed up with the story sequences and birth and death dates posted when you died. That’s dark.

MiguelItUp

But you’re out there killing demons. Is that dark?
Played some Battlefield 1 through Gamepass and it was kinda messed up with the story sequences and birth and death dates posted when you died. That’s dark.
It shouldn't be IMO! But a lot of people in the mainstream media wouldn't look that deep and would just judge it by the surface level. Probably label it as satanic without even giving it any thought, lol.

Of course, and I don't disagree! But I don't think the mainstream knows much about the BF1 story sequences unless someone shows it to them.

Fredrik

It shouldn't be IMO! But a lot of people in the mainstream media wouldn't look that deep and would just judge it by the surface level. Probably label it as satanic without even giving it any thought, lol.

Of course, and I don't disagree! But I don't think the mainstream knows much about the BF1 story sequences unless someone shows it to them.
Heh if you look deeper it’s almost christianic😁😇

Seriously though I get what you’re saying. Too much metal music and death and blood.

Yeah, I absolutely love the combat in that game too but rogue-like stuff just kills the momentum for me. I wish there was a way to play this game like a regular, linear shooter, lol.
I don't know if it helps, but the Returnal 2.0 update did add a much requested save system.

Paltheos

I would agree if the marauder didn't exist. And that they didn't have an end boss that was a complete slog.

Ancient Gods (Pleb Filter) -> Doom Eternal -> Ancient Gods PT 2

I can't agree any harder on marauder. It's baffling to me that enemy made it into the final release of the game as is. It's a slow-paced, Ocarina of Time-tier wait battle in a frenetic action shooter. And if you're not paying attention to the marauder in group fights, he'll fuck you up. Doom's supposed to be a power fantasy but for some reason some guy at id Software thought it would be a cool idea to make the Doom Guy this enemy's bitch until he deigns to let you fight back.

One of my friends actually likes the marauder too and I just don't understand how (he said it seemed to fit naturally to him).

Drizzlehell

Banned
I can't agree any harder on marauder. It's baffling to me that enemy made it into the final release of the game as is. It's a slow-paced, Ocarina of Time-tier wait battle in a frenetic action shooter. And if you're not paying attention to the marauder in group fights, he'll fuck you up. Doom's supposed to be a power fantasy but for some reason some guy at id Software thought it would be a cool idea to make the Doom Guy this enemy's bitch until he deigns to let you fight back.

One of my friends actually likes the marauder too and I just don't understand how (he said it seemed to fit naturally to him).
Hrjj.gif

scary-movie-shawn-wayans.gif

hulk-hogan-not-done-yet.gif

In conclusion:
git-gud.gif

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You're exaggerating a bit. Theres other genres of games out there. Is it the best in the FPS genre tho? Yes. We have yet to get a game to surpass it. Doom Eternal on Nightmare is like a challenging fast-paced shooting puzzle, you literally have to think 1 second ahead of every move you make, what weapons to switch, where to platform, enemy weakness. Most people played it on easy and just didnt like it but Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal need to be played on Nightmare.

Doom Eternal feels amazing to play, really blew me away with how great it feels ripping through the demons and while I was a little out off with the chainsaw for ammo and how health is best regenerated, I ended up liking the style of pushing constant interaction.

PanzerCute

I've said it before and I'll say it again , doom eternal on high difficulty is pure cocaine
Once u get the hang of the combat and weapons the game flows in such a way it's impossible to describe , there is no game like that
Like people mentioned in this thread, Returnal is like that, and I'd say its even superior to Doom as it doesnt rely on a specific loop to fill your ammo etc..

That game made me feel "the zone" like none orhers.

Last edited:

SHA

I remember that very first time when I was playing the game and I was doing one of those bonus challenge rooms (the ones that you need a purple key for), and it was the first time during that playthrough when I experienced this visceral adrenaline rush that literally made me step away from the computer after it was over because I felt like my chest was about to explode and my hands were shaking.

There are so many battles in this game that can be overwhelming to the senses and to the brain by forcing you to process extremely high amount of information and make all those split-second decisions, and the battles can keep going for such a long time that your mind will start begging for a little bit of relief. However, at the same time, it puts you into such an intense state of arousal and focus that it's very difficult to just hit the Escape key and take a voluntary break from the action. That sense of exhilaration and satisfaction is just too good to stop. It felt like being on top of the world, kicking incomprehensible amounts of ass, and I couldn't believe in the pure insanity taking place on screen and the fact that I was still somehow pulling through and feeling like a total badass doing it. It was like a drug, man.

I must have played through this game like six times by now, and every time I kept pushing myself even harder with higher difficulties or Master Levels, but that feeling of absolute elation sooner or later had to start coming with diminishing returns, to the point where playing an insanely hectic and chaotic battle feels kinda ordinary now.

But what's even worse about this is that in the years following the release of Doom Eternal, barely any other game has managed to excite me, no matter how epic or crazy it got. I will just stare at the screen with a blank expression on my face thinking "wow, this would've blown my socks off 10 years ago" but overall I'm barely getting any excitement out of it. Obviously, I can still feel invested in emotionally resonant stories, but Doom Eternal was such an absolute peak when it came to providing a purely spectacle-driven adrenaline rush, that no other game since then managed to excite me as much as it probably should.
You should go with gog, I don't care how old or young you are, you are missing alot if you don't try them.

Last edited:

Stratostar

I wouldn't say it ruined my enjoyment of other games, but I agree wholeheartedly that the game kicks all different kinds and flavors of ass. I remember playing it so much each night that I'd go to bed and have vivid dreams of flying through the air with the meat hook and glory killing Mancubi with my bare hands. Say what you will about its "story" but from a pure fps gameplay perspective, Eternal is top-tier and going back to Doom 2016 feels like a straight downgrade.

OP, you’re preaching to the choir. I’m in the same boat. Doom and Doom Eternal were two games I conquered on the hardest difficulty for the love of how visceral these games truly were. I hope that whatever id is working on is just as intense as these games.

nkarafo

Not a huge fan of that weird combat loop where you have to extract ammo and health from the enemies during the fights. It would be an interesting mechanic in bonus areas or challenge rooms but not in the whole game.

JonSnowball

Doom Eternal is a generic arena shooter with restrictive gameplay elements and leans too far into arcadey bullshit. The soundtrack by Mick Gordon is a rip off of industrial metal bands from the 90s.

Doom Eternal sucks shit out the asshole of Ghandi

Doom Eternal is a generic arena shooter with restrictive gameplay elements and leans too far into arcadey bullshit. The soundtrack by Mick Gordon is a rip off of industrial metal bands from the 90s.

Doom Eternal sucks shit out the asshole of Ghandi
Opinions and assholes everyone has them and most of them stink.
Here's my opinion
Doom eternal is one of the best single player games ever made

Top Bottom